Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I highlighted the Sam Surridge transfer because of the reported USD6.5M transfer fee? Uhh... for him? I think that's nuts! The shadow and effect that looms from it is essentially a NFFC thumb on the valuation scale for any Richie transfer to MLS.
    I’d be surprised if Richie was transferred to us but he really only played a handful of totally inconsequential minutes in the Championship and then was not even on the bench when Forest qualified to go up. Not sure that counts for much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am probably wrong, it's an odd notion, but I got this feeling the situation may be that TFC's fighting/figuring how to keep Richie rather than lose him to another MLS club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

charlotte is becoming a very interesting team...9 of their 11 tonight have played in europe and they have dejaegere on the way from ligue 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC potentially making a big move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    charlotte is becoming a very interesting team...9 of their 11 tonight have played in europe and they have dejaegere on the way from ligue 1

Yeah, very interesting 11!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    LAFC potentially making a big move.

This guy I feel would do very well here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Is it too late to sign Doniel Henry and schedule a home game for mid January?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is it too late to sign Doniel Henry and schedule a home game for mid January?
    He just signed in the CPL an hour after you posted this lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Yup Lozano has a ton to offer. Was still doing well on a good Napoli team last year. Maybe coming closer to home intrigues him a bit now in his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops! My bad...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops! My bad...

And the ludicrous salary dance continues.

Suarez is under contract in Brazil. That's a big buyout. Then they'd surely have to pay him DP money, right? What about Jordi Alba? Is he taking a minimum deal?

Like, not to be too sarcastic or anything but there seems to be no concern about the rules at all in the Messi era. Perhaps they really are going to toss them all out next year as rumored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And the ludicrous salary dance continues.

Suarez is under contract in Brazil. That's a big buyout. Then they'd surely have to pay him DP money, right? What about Jordi Alba? Is he taking a minimum deal?

Like, not to be too sarcastic or anything but there seems to be no concern about the rules at all in the Messi era. Perhaps they really are going to toss them all out next year as rumored.
    Like I said earlier, MLS has gone full WWE, well at least until Messi leaves.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can't play Messi + 9 friends & a GK.

The old guys are going to have to learn to play with pluggers who don't do what they expect - lets see how long it takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    They can't play Messi + 9 friends & a GK.

The old guys are going to have to learn to play with pluggers who don't do what they expect - lets see how long it takes.
    Forrest and Brennan both think they're going to be in trouble, that they'll look good against weak teams but they don't have the mobility to compete with MLS' pace and athleticism (as a few folks here have stated already. I tend to agree.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minority opinion (not mine): if there’s enough quality across the squad they will expose the tactical naivety here. Run, run, run but if the ball moves fast enough the other team is going to be exposed quickly. High pressure will need to be scaled back and they’ll have to put men behind the ball where Messi and friends can probably do quite well.

Or, in my humble view, they might look old fast. Injuries might lag progress and this could be a bit of a dull story. Honestly, it would be great if they face planted (Is this what other teams write when we make big signings?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minority opinion (not mine): if there’s enough quality across the squad they will expose the tactical naivety here. Run, run, run but if the ball moves fast enough the other team is going to be exposed quickly. High pressure will need to be scaled back and they’ll have to put men behind the ball where Messi and friends can probably do quite well.

Or, in my humble view, they might look old fast. Injuries might lag progress and this could be a bit of a dull story. Honestly, it would be great if they face planted (Is this what other teams write when we make big signings?)
    I can't help but agree. I know I'm supposed to love all this and see it as "Huge" for the league, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that the only way MLS takes a step up is by opening the coffers and competing with the lunatics in Europe and Saudi Arabia.

This might give them a growth bump ala Beckham... but there's a lot less market to grow into now than then, at least domestically. They're counting on this sending the league global and I just don't see it. They're only here for him; that's why Miami's game highlights package gets 60K views and everyone else gets 10k to 30k. That fascination with Messi isn't making them tune in to watch the latest titanic struggle between Portland and San Jose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but agree. I know I'm supposed to love all this and see it as "Huge" for the league, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that the only way MLS takes a step up is by opening the coffers and competing with the lunatics in Europe and Saudi Arabia.

This might give them a growth bump ala Beckham... but there's a lot less market to grow into now than then, at least domestically. They're counting on this sending the league global and I just don't see it. They're only here for him; that's why Miami's game highlights package gets 60K views and everyone else gets 10k to 30k. That fascination with Messi isn't making them tune in to watch the latest titanic struggle between Portland and San Jose.
    Yeah, I think with Beckham it was basically a giant “WE HAVE A PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE” sign board. It undoubtedly worked and brought an awareness of MLS to the general public (even if many people won’t attend or care).

I am not sure what the Messi it factor will be. TV ratings? Global appeal? Nobody will be watching NE and similar after this. Playing on international dates is still a farce. The bad stadiums are still bad. Officials are still atrocious.
    Really the league needs to invest in fixing these other things if it wants to take a step up in people’s eyes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minority opinion (not mine): if there’s enough quality across the squad they will expose the tactical naivety here. Run, run, run but if the ball moves fast enough the other team is going to be exposed quickly. ....
    Have even 2 outfield players who do not keep tactical discipline and Miami is going to break down real fast. We've all seen Euro trained people yelling at their teammates to go "here"...well it don't work that way in this league because players don't keep shape and don't jump into space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Have even 2 outfield players who do not keep tactical discipline and Miami is going to break down real fast. We've all seen Euro trained people yelling at their teammates to go "here"...well it don't work that way in this league because players don't keep shape and don't jump into space.
    We saw an absolutely picture-perfect example of it in our game.

Three-quarters of the way through, Jakeehl retreated to a "support" position on a triangle diagonal from Ibarra. But... he stopped at least four feet short of where he should have been. Ibarra, who is so trained that his brain just acted on his behalf mechanically, passed the ball out of bounds in slow motion, an incredulous expression on his face.

That was entirely hard-core drilling of passing positions by the Argentinian kid, and the Canadian kid not having a fucking clue how precise he is supposed to be.

His performance was viewed as "frustrating" by the front office, I'm told. He's got a full toolkit of ball skills and real vision, but he doesn't pay attention to the core basics, the need for absolute mechanical repetition, so players can act faster than consideration allows. Liverpool's players seemed to love him when he was there but there was no bite, despite him being a snip financially for them.

It's the same as the trapping issue with Kaye and Ayo, who often lazily/arrogantly use their sole instead of their instep, despite the heightened risk for lost control at speed. I'm not sure, watching them, that anyone has ever actually corrected the heinously below-par shit they do.

I think maybe they were just so dominant athletically at younger ages -- Kaye had more than 20 goals at York, as I recall -- that coaches didn't pay attention to their grasp of the most fundamental elements of the game, the stuff that should be automatic.

It seems true of a lot of Canadian kids.

I don't really know why beyond it being lost in their general athletic talent, and maybe some of the blind spots in Canadian development. But in Europe that shit is basic from age seven on.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-18-2023 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may also depend on roster construction and the core that are regularly fielded/used; let's say 18 players? IIUC, IMCF's roster is comprised circa of two-thirds foreign 'football educated' players against a one-third of domestic lineage and experience. Tata may find the right balance needed to compete with the his three U22's selections among other additions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIUC, seems there may be a MLS Clubs' Ownership meeting scheduled for today. There is some internet chatter and debate about what exactly is on the agenda. Some are saying it involves just a review and vote on changes and adoptions to current pitch or match-play standards; for example, as in short substitutions due to temporary injury. Others are suggesting a significant roster rules and regulation assessment; with possible changes and adoptions effective immediately or staggered starting this transfer window. IDK? Yet, with all the nonsense surrounding IMCF's current roster build, something may be afoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well something is changing with the cap certainly. No way they can accommodate all this without absolutely hatcheting the rules. All these players have valuations of a million and up on transfer market.

Also, it could suggest Campana is on his way out despite their denying it. If we could god damn pounce on that one I’d be happy.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 07-19-2023 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly, latest rumour, Campana might be off to Cardiff City? Sure seemed to be enjoying himself yesterday in training, all smiles, with Messi and Busquets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe MLS tweeks the roster rules and regs today/this week, this transfer window, by allowing a 3rd DP with 3 U22's. This move could squeeze IMCF's current efforts into stretched cap parameters for the time being; at least until next season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe MLS tweeks the roster rules and regs today/this week, this transfer window, by allowing a 3rd DP with 3 U22's. This move could squeeze IMCF's current efforts into stretched cap parameters for the time being; at least until next season?
    I think they did that before the start of the season. As I said earlier, the rules are on the league website and make no mention of requiring the 3rd DP to be one of the U22s to sign two more. It just says teams can sign three u22 dps, period.

So, either a short explanation that's lacking on the site or that's already the case.

Still doesn't explain how they can have Gregoire still on the payroll. And injured or not, he's a good player, probably get more out of him than a 34-year-old Busquets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not so sure. Perhaps. Maybe I am just misreading or misunderstanding? Is this the MLS site you are referencing; updated as of 24FEB23? The U22 Initiative Roster Slots part?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2023-...nd-regulations
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-19-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they did that before the start of the season. As I said earlier, the rules are on the league website and make no mention of requiring the 3rd DP to be one of the U22s to sign two more. It just says teams can sign three u22 dps, period.

So, either a short explanation that's lacking on the site or that's already the case.

Still doesn't explain how they can have Gregoire still on the payroll. And injured or not, he's a good player, probably get more out of him than a 34-year-old Busquets.
    Gregore’s salary is less than $1.6M, and so can be bought down using allocation money. He was a DP purely for cap purposes (similar to Oso).

That leaves 3 DPs for Miami: Messi, Busquets, and Campana. Because Campana is a Young DP, Miami also has 3 U22 Initiative slots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Gregore’s salary is less than $1.6M, and so can be bought down using allocation money. He was a DP purely for cap purposes (similar to Oso). That leaves 3 DPs for Miami: Messi, Busquets, and Campana. Because Campana is a Young DP, Miami also has 3 U22 Initiative slots.
    Thanks for the straightforward explanation. That's what I was trying to get my head around stated simply. So if Campana is traded, his spot would need to be re-filled with another U22 to maintain the additional 3 U22 spots IMCF seem to need. If the spot is filled with 'a Suarez', 24 or older and 'above' the MAXTAM of $1,651,250, then MLS will need to tweak the rules and regs for the club to still maintain the 3 U22 spots otherwise it's only 1 slot, correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Gregore’s salary is less than $1.6M, and so can be bought down using allocation money. He was a DP purely for cap purposes (similar to Oso).

That leaves 3 DPs for Miami: Messi, Busquets, and Campana. Because Campana is a Young DP, Miami also has 3 U22 Initiative slots.
    It seems they are filling the U22 spots with two mids and a defender, all Argentinan requests from Tata. This seems smart… at least shows an idea of what can make the whole thing work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A U22 DP and a U22 Initiative signing are two different things