Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    A U22 DP and a U22 Initiative signing are two different things
    Yeah, i think that’s where I lost the thread. Cheers dude!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Thanks for the straightforward explanation. That's what I was trying to get my head around stated simply. So if Campana is traded, his spot would need to be re-filled with another U22 to maintain the additional 3 U22 spots IMCF seem to need. If the spot is filled with 'a Suarez', 24 or older and 'above' the MAXTAM of $1,651,250, then MLS will need to tweak the rules and regs for the club to still maintain the 3 U22 spots otherwise it's only 1 slot, correct?
    Essentially correct, but as someone else noted there is a difference between a Young DP (current age 23 or younger, no salary restriction) and a U22 Initiative signing (player signed at age 22 or younger, salary capped at $1.65M).

Campana must be replaced with either another Young DP OR a player making less than $1.65M for Miami to roster 3 U22 signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are all forgetting the one absolute when it comes to MLS roster moves. That is, if Beckham is involved in any capacity, Garber will go out of his way to make sure Beckham gets what he wants.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beckham got what he always wanted, MLS wouldn't have taken his management team out to the woodshed like they did about a year ago.

This is an all in bet on Messi - I suspect its not going to do so well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If Beckham got what he always wanted, MLS wouldn't have taken his management team out to the woodshed like they did about a year ago.

This is an all in bet on Messi - I suspect its not going to do so well.
    Neither do I and it seems quite a turn in direction. What’s next the signing of a hologram of Pele

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you view this as a problem, then IMO, the problem is not if it does not go well; a bit of rubbernecking at the crash. The problem is if it does; even sort of does. The disruption that that roster template causes. The challenge for any eventual league course correct.

#! @*&% me! ... Tata, Messi, Alba, Busquets, Iniesta?, Martinez, Suarez?, Aviles, Campana?, Farias, Gomez, Kamal 'How the f__k did I find myself here? Pinch me!' Miller (couldn't resist) et al.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Romano says CF Montreal is close to signing U20 Colombian International CB Fernando Alvarez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC signing Spanish striker Mario Gonzalez. Not the most intriguing move but I’m still a bit pissed we haven’t seen anything outside of our new u22 guy who is more likely to play out wide..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    LAFC signing Spanish striker Mario Gonzalez. Not the most intriguing move but I’m still a bit pissed we haven’t seen anything outside of our new u22 guy who is more likely to play out wide..
    Have to remember we don’t have a coach yet. While I’d like to see some signings as well, I’m a firm believer that handcuffing coaches with signings that are not necessarily in their vision is a recipe for turbulence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Have to remember we don’t have a coach yet. While I’d like to see some signings as well, I’m a firm believer that handcuffing coaches with signings that are not necessarily in their vision is a recipe for turbulence.
    That’s very fair. No point of buying the ingredients if we don’t know what the chef wants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Ideally.

Of course, ideally we don’t hire a coach with “vision”. Every manager wedded to a single style of play and roster inflexibility calls it “vision”.

I want a manager who wins, whether at small clubs or big. The next Postecoglou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Maybe TFC needs this sort of chap for President or Mister...

Time to...

Again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks to see one of the best in the league leave.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Sucks to see one of the best in the league leave.

damn and i was going to tip the crew for a strong playoff run with their moves before this

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    damn and i was going to tip the crew for a strong playoff run with their moves before this
    He's 31 and the rumor is they're getting north of $12M for him. Hard to turn that down no matter how good a player is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's 31 and the rumor is they're getting north of $12M for him. Hard to turn that down no matter how good a player is.
    Which opens up an interesting avenue to the MLS financial model. If they can get some fatish transfer fees from Saudi, or even have that as a possibility, that definitely opens the door to further spending on speculative players who you can build up into a sellable asset. It's probably a net good for the league, unless they just start raiding us and stripping the league of all of its talent. but in the short term, it's another small argument to push teams into spending more

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Which opens up an interesting avenue to the MLS financial model. If they can get some fatish transfer fees from Saudi, or even have that as a possibility, that definitely opens the door to further spending on speculative players who you can build up into a sellable asset. It's probably a net good for the league, unless they just start raiding us and stripping the league of all of its talent. but in the short term, it's another small argument to push teams into spending more
    Somebody should start promoting Berna & Insigne to the Saudis as superior players to Zalarayan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Somebody should start promoting Berna & Insigne to the Saudis as superior players to Zalarayan.
    Jokes aside, if we are to offload both contracts, that's about the only realistic possibility to do so. The fact they're throwing around money like crazy could bail us out of a mess if we do indeed want to move on from them

I still don't think it's a possibility, but we'll see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    What if this team was one of the Saudi teams looking at Insigne or berna and they looked at the season stats board for a player whose slightly younger, more athletic, slightly cheaper, and saw Zalarayan few hundred kms south lol

I know saudis get memed for dropping cash, and with aramco can just drop blank cheques everywhere… but they in a more scary sense are genuinely spending stupid money on facilities, academies, buying up academy/organization architects from the top teams and countries, and basically building communities/cities for players to come there and feel normal. Bringing in aging vets was the first phase- they now are using those analytical minds poached from all regions of the planet to bring in guys that aren’t just aging stars

When they start beating the MLS to the South America pipeline with fat pay checks and world class coaching, could be time to start worrying lol
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 08-01-2023 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez isn't wasting anytime trying to fill that DP spot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez isn't wasting anytime trying to fill that DP spot.

elite replacement tbh.

im fully jealous of the crew right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bruce arena suspended

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elite replacement tbh.

Same. They lose one of the best players in MLS and seamlessly transition into bringing back a guy like Rossi who is proven to be elite in MLS and is only 25.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same. They lose one of the best players in MLS and seamlessly transition into bringing back a guy like Rossi who is proven to be elite in MLS and is only 25.
    and already added gressel and another depth CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

elite replacement tbh.

The difference a competent GM makes.

If they do this while making a healthy profit, even though it's not like for like, that's a hell of a maneuver. Rossi is considerably younger, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bruce arena suspended
    I know, I know, happenstance. Very probable something awful was said and he must be appropriately reprimanded.

Still a part of me does suspect such 'convenient' coincidences. Though, does seem too extreme a scenario even for me to be 'sanctioned' by MLS HO if ownership was an impediment. Perhaps a self-orchestrated, not too serious incident, that once cleared of, with a caution, will have BA suggest that the rapport between him and NER ownership is irreconcilably broken and all of a sudden he's on the market and available for TFC?

I mean... 'The Revolution (do) average 3.15 goals per 90 with all three DPs on the field (10 goals in 285 minutes). Lethal.' ...Thanks to Arena.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, I know, happenstance. Very probable something awful was said and he must be appropriately reprimanded.

Still a part of me does suspect such 'convenient' coincidences. Though, does seem too extreme a scenario even for me to be 'sanctioned' by MLS HO if ownership was an impediment. Perhaps a self-orchestrated, not too serious incident, that once cleared of, with a caution, will have BA suggest that the rapport between him and NER ownership is irreconcilably broken and all of a sudden he's on the market and available for TFC?

I mean... 'The Revolution (do) average 3.15 goals per 90 with all three DPs on the field (10 goals in 285 minutes). Lethal.' ...Thanks to Arena.
    Initially that sounds tin foil hat nuts but then again this is MLS and right before they "go straight and transparent" so it wouldn't surprise me to see them jumpstart TFC again and maybe save one of their idols in Bruce from a scene he isn't happy in anymore.

Sooooooooo...,Bob to Revs? Reunion with his other son?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. It is a tin-foil koo-koo in the coconut stretch! However, in all seriousness, a narrative/spin against NER and Arena might happen; perhaps deservedly. IIRC, last year or the year before there was some media hay about him or them hiring someone, maybe an assistant?, who was previously accused of perhaps similar, ballpark-ish, behaviour? Not sure if that matter was since resolved by the organization or with a judicial outcome; dismissed or judgment.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-01-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. It is a tin-foil koo-koo in the coconut stretch! However, in all seriousness, a narrative/spin against NER and Arena might happen; perhaps deservedly. IIRC, last year or the year before there was some media hay about him or them hiring someone, maybe an assistant?, who was previously accused of perhaps similar, ballpark-ish, behaviour? Not sure if that matter was since resolved by the organization or with a judicial outcome; dismissed or judgment.
    I don't think the conspiracy theory is necessary. His contract is up in the fall, he's 71 years old. They might want to make a change but this is probably unrelated to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miami signing young Argentine prospect Tomás Avilés is the kind of interesting move just having Messi on the team allows them. That is the kind of transfer that worries me far far more than reuniting 2011 Barcelona. We'll see how it works out, but that's the kind of signing they should be making, not Suarez