0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's more likely he said "get me the fuck out of here, now"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernandez is putting in the work. Hedges is our best CB, but he isn't getting any younger (or healthier).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    100%

im ok with it ,,,clean house has long has manning is not calling the shots.
    what a disaster of a off season,move oso if you can

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    He's not been motivated by money and is clearly thinking about his post playing career.
    I appreciate MB is less motivated by money than most and I completely agree he's focused on on his post-playing career but... I doubt he just walks away bypasses the opportunity to be paid out. Between him and management it was probably understood there was a chance this would happen the minute he restructured his deal.

I don't think there is any negative connotation to this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's get the work done. Hernandez is doing the hard stuff (though we've described it as easy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best acquisition of the year on the way out...gonna be a very tough rebuild...need 2-3 new dps and a solid crew around them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now do Ayo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trade the GAM for Miller. Miami needs GAM bad.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to wonder if SJ is next. Same idea and solid player but we’re not in a position to win soon and should be thinking of getting younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Trade the GAM for Miller. Miami needs GAM bad.
    This would be a very shrewd move if they could make it happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Miller? Has anyone watched him play lately?

I think he peaked with the WC qualifiers and has since been caught looking slow and positionally naive on a frequent basis. Mtl never would have moved on if he still had value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default , it

Miller? Has anyone watched him play lately?

I think he peaked with the WC qualifiers and has since been caught looking slow and positionally naive on a frequent basis. Mtl never would have moved on if he still had value.
    They acquired him to be their line leader. He’s not going anywhere.

I think he’s grossly overrated. His work rate is excellent and he’s really good technically but his positioning and read of the game are not great.

There were multiple occasions against Cruz Azul where he was a foot or more ahead of his defensive partner despite Cruz being on their doorstep, and if a good midfielder had spotted it, breaking their trap with a through ball would’ve opened Miami right up.

I think at our level those opportunities are spotted less often and it’s the kind of sloppiness a defender can get away with. But the league is improving.

I think the idea raised during the broadcast, of him going to a top league in Europe, is unlikely to end well. His fundamentals are not solid enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Wow. You don’t make that move unless you have someone lined up. I know he has been oft injured but we are really thin at that position
    I don’t know, I suspect it’s tear down time. They’ve looked at the mathematical odds of us making the playoffs and decided to try and do a complete rebuild starting now, because it’ll take to the beginning of next year to finish, and this is Manning’s last shot at salvaging this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do kind of understand dealing Hedges, even though he's our best defender. He's 33 and been injured a fair amount. Get value while we can and sign some younger guys.

Looks like we're tearing down the team again. Although hopefully instead of trading away everyone in their prime and replacing them with old past their prime guys and overpaying them like Bob, hopefully Hernandez will trade away the overpaid and overaged players and replace them with prime and reasonably paid players

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better be somebody coming in or else we will not win a single game the rest of the way - Shane O'Neill & Rosted are not suddenly going to be positionally aware leaders back there. And Mabika needs years of seasoning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I do kind of understand dealing Hedges, even though he's our best defender. He's 33 and been injured a fair amount. Get value while we can and sign some younger guys.

Looks like we're tearing down the team again. Although hopefully instead of trading away everyone in their prime and replacing them with old past their prime guys and overpaying them like Bob, hopefully Hernandez will trade away the overpaid and overaged players and replace them with prime and reasonably paid players
    The one thing we have in our favor here is that for as long as I've been talking to the front office, which was back in February, if I recall correctly, the one name who kept coming up as wanting to change course was Hernandez.

As some people have surmised -- and I think Manning would admit -- he basically handed over operations to Bob, having been accused by some of his managers who are no longer with us circa 2018-19 of micromanaging. His style is very much to be the gregarious boss who hires good people and lets them do their thing, and ends up looking good as a result. But he hired and trusted the wrong people.

His answer to that was Bob, because his reputation was as a singularly focused winner in MLS. But again, instead of insisting on the front office having pull in football operations, he accepted Bradley's demand, which was that he be both coach and director of football. I believe he's been told firmly that he has one more rebuild to pull off a winner or he's done.

The lineup as it is right now, 100%, Bob's vision: teach youngsters to play my style, marry them with savvy veterans. But the youth weren't good enough or football savvy enough, and the veterans were all crocked. We know from him signing Jimenez and Diomande that Bob also relied on the same "who do we know?" system as Ali. So we gained nothing, in terms of player acquisition, and in fact, it even got worse because he had such a singular take from prior successes.

But back when I was telling them it was all going to go to shit, my fairly authoritative bird -- he ain't the office clerk -- told me Hernandez was already, strenuously, counselling against all of it. Use strong performance indicators, buy low, get young talent that is ready on the u22 market.

I suggested a player to them in February, and was told Jack Dodd, the predecessor, had looked at that player (who eventually signed for Red Star Belgrade on a $6m deal) and decided he wasn't our style. That player had 16 goals in Ligue 2 last season and was only 25. However, while mentioning that cringe-inducing fact, my contact also said Hernandez was revamping scouting already, and was revisiting a lot of prior decisions using performance indicators, as he did not agree with how we'd recruited up until then.

So... I know it's only a positive if his choices are better. But I can safely say Hernandez has been dragging them, for several months, towards doing this properly.

As much as they've stressed to me that Bob is "a good man", it has also been expressed that they are pretty furious with how poorly he built the roster. After they acquitted themselves okay under Dunny in the Orlando game, I mentioned him calming them down. "They're playing a lot more direct," was the answer. "Mainly, he's not Bob."

I hate to use "the perfect storm" as analogy for SNAFU situations, because perfect storms have nothing to do with the confluence of choice. But he made all the wrong ones for about four years, and so he's decided to listen to the guy who is going in completely the opposite direction from what we were doing.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-23-2023 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Better be somebody coming in or else we will not win a single game the rest of the way - Shane O'Neill & Rosted are not suddenly going to be positionally aware leaders back there. And Mabika needs years of seasoning.
    I don't think they're giving this season any consideration at all. I think the reaction to Messi means the attention on MLS is going to be considerably higher next year, and they're banking on that and off season announcements of change getting people excited, which it could, particularly if Messi's run to the playoffs or the Leagues Cup has any success.

I mean, I could be wrong. They might have a handful of moves they've been looking at since March because I know by then Hernandez had already effectively taken over scouting. But if it didn't happen, I also wouldn't be surprised. This is very much "we can't rush anything and fuck it up" territory.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-23-2023 at 01:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we don't win a single game the rest of the way, I'm not sure even "See Messi once" is going to cover over the lack of fun it has been going to games this season. Its still an entertainment game & we've been dire to watch and getting more dire isn't going to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The one thing we have in our favor here is that for as long as I've been talking to the front office, which was back in February, if I recall correctly, the one name who kept coming up as wanting to change course was Hernandez... and so he's decided to listen to the guy who is going in completely the opposite direction from what we were doing.
    Jason Hernandez is the 10TH MAN!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    That picture needs to be updated with the bag being thrown in the TFC incinerator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, this is my first impressions. SJ and hedges were sold on deep playoff runs and probably concacaf- and probably felt like a sure fire thing with the Italians. This feels more like a this isn’t what I signed up for as a final contract and not enough is happening to make me wanna stay- send me back home to a contender so I can be around family.

Wonder if we keep tearing down the wallpaper in a rebuild and swapping for youth if means some of these Italian moves are surely coming to fruition

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would HATE to lose Sean Johnston in all this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets see if this is a move so we can overpay for richie

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    lets see if this is a move so we can overpay for richie
    it’s funny you say that because I was thinking with Richie gone and his salary back, we should be out of a lot of our cap troubles with the Hedges move, even with the stupid deals. Never thought Richie and Mailula. BM is pretty desperate or it is neither and it’s a rebuild

Edit. Did we ever come to a conclusion if Oso can be bought down with GAM?
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 07-23-2023 at 02:50 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Richie but you don't build an MLS team around a RB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I like Richie but you don't build an MLS team around a RB.
    yup...i agree, but it has been really quite on the richie front,i think he may be coming back,i hope not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree at this point anyone 29 or older out the door we need to get younger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are kidding about Hedges...he did nothing here. This is no loss. He's hurt, if not who cares. We need to go south American and hernandez knows it..enjoy the ride boys..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With regards to Johnson, I'd be curious to see Romero get a stretch of games after Leagues Cup to see if he could be a possible starter. We can't go into next season with two keepers who get international call-ups, so one of Romero or Johnson needs to go. Signing two national team keepers was a mistake that never should have happened. I really like Sean Johnson, but Romero could be a young, cost-effective option if he's capable. Is there an MLS team in need of a keeper that would even need/want a Sean Johnson (since no team should be doing what we did last year and have two starting level keeper salaries with Bono and Westberg)?