Page 8 of 138 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, a much needed depth signing before the summer window like a fully functioning club. Good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discount depth. He looked like a decent player a couple years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necessary. I imagine they'll push Petretta up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has any other team ever made two waiver signings in one season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'm sure a team has, but I don't consider the Diomande waiver pickup a true waiver pickup. That was just another dumb MLS rules thing. He'd been out of the league since 2020 and his contract was over and played for other clubs in the world. LAFC just randomly still had his MLS rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who thinks this signing was made for no other reason then to divert attention to what is happening with Insigne? Given the current roster there are more pressing needs rather than another defender, like in midfield, unless Petretta is also gone for a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice acquisition. It will help fill gaps in the lineup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2020, if you spent time in the Vs forum, you would have seen that there was a big excitement about Gutierrez declaring for Canada, and about how he slotted in. Adekugbe wans't even in the conversation.

We all know how that went... but not so long ago this guy was a serious prospect.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this signing was made for no other reason then to divert attention to what is happening with Insigne? Given the current roster there are more pressing needs rather than another defender, like in midfield, unless Petretta is also gone for a month.
    I don't think Cristian Gutierrez is a name you bring in to divert attention...

This is an interesting move to say the least. Curious as to why the 'Caps let him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Insigne injury is a major disappointment but I would not say Shaff is better than him.
    I think really this reads as Mukhtar > Insigne. Shaff doing his job fitting in within a well rounded team that’s helping him showcase his talents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

This is an interesting move to say the least. Curious as to why the 'Caps let him go.
    Well we, the diehards, seem to be talking about it, and everybody seems to like this pick up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is probably a lazy analysis but my observation from watching Gutierrez is that consistency is an issue. But I see zero downside to adding mid 20’s experienced MLS player. We just needed a few more of those on the roster.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne makes $390K CAD a week and now has a 1.5M groin strain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

The Caps fazed him out last season. Demoted him to the MLSNP team and never had him return. Basically what we did to Kadin Chung

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    He can play in the midfield. But otherwise we have exactly two fullbacks who have experience. A young, inexpensive fullback with quite a few matches in MLS and in Chile is what we need no matter Petretta’s current state.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    He can play in the midfield. But otherwise we have exactly two fullbacks who have experience. A young, inexpensive fullback with quite a few matches in MLS and in Chile is what we need no matter Petretta’s current state.
    OK, this makes sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The Caps fazed him out last season. Demoted him to the MLSNP team and never had him return. Basically what we did to Kadin Chung
    True but Chung was poor in every appearance I saw, and has only 8 MLS appearances total. He didn’t look this level at all. Maybe he’ll do better in Vancouver.

Gutierrez has over 100 appearances with Colo-Colo and the Whitecaps, etc. It’s a bit different. He had a falling out with their manager about how he was handing his injury last year. I think he can play. I like him as inexpensive young-ish depth at LB and LM

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s interesting to me that Bob picked a guy well known to the CMNT veterans -Oso, Laryea, Kaye have all been in a lot of camps with him.

That input has to have been his best read on Gutierrez, and a key source (the key source?) of willingness to do this.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Necessary. I imagine they'll push Petretta up?
    I think this could be a reasonable short-term solution to the situation. IIRC, as a LB, Petretta does seem to enjoy pushing forward, the attack, on occasion; even cutting in and giving a go. I suspect he would also provide easy linkage with/service to Fede. On the other hand, really hoping that the Gutierrez acquisition has not been made due to a significant injury to Petretta; more as his immediate replacement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Do not think he ever coached either of this players in the past, likely just using his connections as the tweets mention. With the shape TFC's budgets are right now, they likely are looking for value. Anyone have insight into salaries in a league like Egypt?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Seems to be an account with 110 followers. Not exactly a credible or interesting source
    I'd wager the original source is in Arabic somewhere but good luck tracking that down.
    Concede that the validity of the rumour of TFC's interest in Al Ahly's Mohamed Magdy and Ahmed Abdelkader for this summer's transfer window is highly questionable; probably fiction. Still, IIUC, there is a loose link or maybe reasonable connect between BB and Al Ahly. Seems, the clubs Vice-President, El Amry Farouk, was Egypt's Minister Of State For Sports during BB's latter time as Coach of the EMNT.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-15-2023 at 05:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Concede that the validity of the rumour of TFC's interest in Al Ahly's Mohamed Magdy and Ahmed Abdelkader for this summer's transfer window is highly questionable; probably fiction. Still, IIUC, there is a loose link or maybe reasonable connect between BB and Al Ahly. Seems, the clubs Vice-President, El Amry Farouk, was Egypt's Minister Of State For Sports during BB's latter time as Coach of the EMNT.
    I suspect given that he was looking at two players from Ghana as well that he is trolling for bargains in advance of us having some money to spend again. They may also be looking at players for when their contacts expire, rather than being willing to pony up transfer money now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it me or does Ahmed Abdelkader look older than Afsha? Like in early 30's older?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depth signing it would appear

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

Depth signing it would appear
    Don't hate it - more warm bodies is good, though he hasn't gotten much playtime even with Valour. Hoping to see him blossom here though we've squandered a lot of Next Pro talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimenez got his P1 visa and is now in Dallas. I imagine ditto with Achara in Houston. Neither here nor there now, I suppose.

Also, Noble Okello officially signs with New England II in MLS Next Pro.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-16-2023 at 02:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well looks like we're losing...

three of our starting 11 for San Jose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    well looks like we're losing...

three of our starting 11 for San Jose.
    So penny ante, the league not having an international window weekend. The list of players missing from some teams is very long. Atlanta's missing more than half their starting lineup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We always lose in San Jose in some ridiculous way so it will be nice to go in there expecting absolutely nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, losing Kaye out of the midfield wouldn't exactly be the worst thing based on current form. Bradley/Servania/Kosi for a game won't be the end of the world. Not sure Bob trusts our backup options at RB though. Neither JMR or Kobe have seen a single minute this season.