Page 60 of 138 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta hope there is a purchase option. If there isn't, this is a band-aid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This will be their Stefan Frei moment
    Too soon this one still hurts

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Gotta hope there is a purchase option. If there isn't, this is a band-aid.
    It is a 6 month loan per one of Doug Robertson's tweets, TFC must be so against the cap they have to do a deal like this to get a player in, even if just for the short term. Has to a low cap hit, Atlanta had to get one of their U22's off the roster to be compliant.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the supposed budget cap situation changes and the opportunity presents itself, does Pozuelo have to go back to Genk or another Belgian team? Just sayin', as some others already have and still are...

https://twitter.com/KontvSporr/statu...42212546621440

https://twitter.com/merihonal1/statu...45698589237250

https://twitter.com/kendirci_ufuk/st...20955186458625

https://twitter.com/transf_football/...75891091251203

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now the question is can we find teams to trade players too? This should be a sell off this transfer window..
    Is Richie coming back? If not what are we doing with the $1.1 million hes owed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is a 6 month loan per one of Doug Robertson's tweets, TFC must be so against the cap they have to do a deal like this to get a player in, even if just for the short term. Has to a low cap hit, Atlanta had to get one of their U22's off the roster to be compliant.
    I dont mind this tbh! Gives him and us time to adjust. If there is mutual interest then we can buy him im sure of it... But again its about getting in a young player who can add to the defensive play we sorely lack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    If the supposed budget cap situation changes and the opportunity presents itself, does Pozuelo have to go back to Genk or another Belgian team? Just sayin', as some others already have and still are...

https://twitter.com/KontvSporr/statu...42212546621440

https://twitter.com/merihonal1/statu...45698589237250

https://twitter.com/kendirci_ufuk/st...20955186458625

https://twitter.com/transf_football/...75891091251203

I'm of the opinion we should bring him back. Hes 31. Still clutch. And I don't know why but I really feel him and Insigne would hit it off, on and off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is a short-term loan even worth it? Helping out another Eastern team long term just to not be quite as shit in a lost season.

Matias Laba wasn't loaned out when TFC put themselves in the same position. They lost him for nothing. (EDIT: I can't remember if in-league loans were possible at that time. But loans outside MLS were.)
    Last edited by Bobo; 07-07-2023 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI about Ibarra. In a sense he is kinda Mavinga-esque. A caution about him, his style, is that he is prone to getting red cards and lots of yellows; accumulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wanna see what we give up for a guy we have for 6mths.this smells like lets apease the ssh to renew for next season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i wanna see what we give up for a guy we have for 6mths.this smells like lets apease the ssh to renew for next season
    I'm as cynical about ownership as anyone, but nobody - absolutely nobody - is going to go from 'not renewing' to 'renewing' because of this signing. They aren't so insane as to believe this moves the needle at all

This is simply something that fills a short term need with, hopefully, a path to it becoming a long term solutuion (but that part remains to be seen). There's still a chance at play off football this year with the league giving out play off spots to people who just walk by MLS HQ so this is just a good piece of business at worst and one that's potentially very good if we have an option to buy if it works out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Probably not much unless there ends up being an option to buy and since that mechanism will change, maybe Atlanta would prefer a loan now and actual $$$ later than some GAM now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/golazoargentino/...15983457878019

the ibarra goodbye post....doesn't sound like he thinks he's coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Is a short-term loan even worth it? Helping out another Eastern team long term just to not be quite as shit in a lost season.

Matias Laba wasn't loaned out when TFC put themselves in the same position. They lost him for nothing. (EDIT: I can't remember if in-league loans were possible at that time. But loans outside MLS were.)
    Rules were definitely different then. However, I am crossing my fingers we have a purchase option. Otherwise, why aren’t we doing this sort of thing so we have a pipeline of young talents that other teams develop for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He sounds massively pissed off with Atlanta so doubt he goes back. Now will get be determined to prove them wrong here or just sulk till he gets a permanent transfer somewhere he wants to go in January???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    He sounds massively pissed off with Atlanta so doubt he goes back. Now will get be determined to prove them wrong here or just sulk till he gets a permanent transfer somewhere he wants to go in January???
    the way it's worded it sounds like a permanent move. never seen a player write a goodbye message for a 6 month loan (although there is a first time for everything, i guess)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I'm as cynical about ownership as anyone, but nobody - absolutely nobody - is going to go from 'not renewing' to 'renewing' because of this signing. They aren't so insane as to believe this moves the needle at all

This is simply something that fills a short term need with, hopefully, a path to it becoming a long term solutuion (but that part remains to be seen). There's still a chance at play off football this year with the league giving out play off spots to people who just walk by MLS HQ so this is just a good piece of business at worst and one that's potentially very good if we have an option to buy if it works out
    i agree,,,but this is manning...the club sent out a email .... get on the waiting list for the 2024 ST because the 2023 ST are sold out .50 dollar charge .if manning is still prez.i will not renew no matter who they sign

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Ibarra thing is a test I feel certain we are not set up to pass.

We have never, not once, integrated a young South American. In fact, it has been a dumpster fire, every time.

We don't have a team or city climate or culture they can easily fit into.

Have we learned any lessons? Do we understand how others succeed at this in MLS? Are we willing spend some serious money on getting the infrastructure of people (inside and outside the team) that we need?

I doubt it.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, I think he buys someone out and is going to try to bring in a striker and try to play for a deeper League Cup run, we have a relatively easy group NYCFC and Atlas (mid Table BBVA). And then he deflects everything on BB and injuries, Gold Cup etc.. Manning Out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

We have never, not once, integrated a young South American. In fact, it has been a dumpster fire, every time.

Have we learned any lessons? Do we understand how others succeed at this in MLS? Are we willing spend some serious money on getting the infrastructure of people (inside and outside the team) that we need?

I doubt it.
    My top of mind thought is whether any of our recent head coaches actually speak Spanish? (Or can speak other languages for that matter)

Call me crazy but I think everyone stepping in should also speak Spanish at a minimum.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    My top of mind thought is whether any of our recent head coaches actually speak Spanish? (Or can speak other languages for that matter)

Call me crazy but I think everyone stepping in should also speak Spanish at a minimum.
    only perez that i can think of.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it.
    Unless this is a precursor to whomever they are planning on getting as the next manager. I thought the same thing but I am assuming Hernandez isn't as clueless as everyone before him for the past half decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    only perez that i can think of.
    Vanney spoke some Spanish and French, Bob allegedly speaks passable Spanish, French and German, Armas spoke Spanish (half his family is from Puerto Rico.).

I don't believe Terry speaks anything other than English.

But Coello speaks Spanish, so he's got a midfielder to talk with, and I imagine he's learned some English in three years in Atlanta.

I don't think language will be the issue; he didn't want to leave, so he's coming here with a chip on his shoulder. But still a good signing; players don't always want to move, let's face it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Unless this is a precursor to whomever they are planning on getting as the next manager. I thought the same thing but I am assuming Hernandez isn't as clueless as everyone before him for the past half decade.
    Are people really going to argue we shouldn't sign a starting DM because he's too South American to enjoy living in Toronto? There are a pretty huge number of South Americans in Toronto. I really don't think he's going to wilt on the vine because he doesn't have any teammates from Argentina.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Are people really going to argue we shouldn't sign a starting DM because he's too South American to enjoy living in Toronto? There are a pretty huge number of South Americans in Toronto. I really don't think he's going to wilt on the vine because he doesn't have any teammates from Argentina.
    I remember that Canada vs Peru match a few years back and I assumed there would be almost none of their fans at BMO. Well I had that one wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yea he seems furious. To be fair he is right to be. Really poor job by their management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at it it seems there's around 100,000 Latin Americans in the city of Toronto. I don't buy this as being a problem, at all. We've historically signed not great South Americans, but that isn't any kind of predictor of future success. We had decent success with Laba, he was settled in and performing well, and we only moved him because we wanted to open up our DP spending significantly

As for climate, sample size of one, but my own mam is from Buenos Aires and it looks like Ibarra is from the same region - she has described their summers as hell on earth and would much prefer our climate. BA is, by all accounts, unbearable in the summer and while their winters are milder our summers are easier to live with

Basically, if South American players can adapt to live in Liverpool & Manchester and become stars I really, really don't worry about them in Toronto. The key is signing good ones

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro was great and loved it here.

Ibarra is already proven in MLS.

No brainer imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t argue that we shouldn’t compete for South Americans. I argue that team management has never taken the task seriously, and I have little faith that we will change because of a ATL roster screwup.

We start the race a few feet back of the starting line. Compared to any American city, Toronto has no hispanic or Latin American culture to speak of, so we need some real effort made in acclimating players. The club needs to feel like home away from home. Does it?

We need spanish speaking coaches, assistants, medical staff, and teammates (in numbers) to make it work.

I highly highly doubt we will do it properly.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think we should be doing more from a front office /coaching perspective. Spanish speakers would represent the second largest player pool to the league (after English speakers) by some distance.

I wish we’d be the club that would pioneer taking more of an international approach and ditch the Americana bull crap. It’s not like 10 years ago, an international manager or even president would do us some good here. Have local guys round out the staff who have knowledge of the rules etc…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t argue that we shouldn’t compete for South Americans. I argue that team management has never taken the task seriously, and I have little faith that we will change because of a ATL roster screwup.

We start the race a few feet back of the starting line. Compared to any American city, Toronto has no hispanic or Latin American culture to speak of, so we need some real effort made in acclimating players. The club needs to feel like home away from home. Does it?

We need spanish speaking coaches, assistants, medical staff, and teammates (in numbers) to make it work.

I highly highly doubt we will do it properly.
    South Americans play successfully in tons of European countries with far few south Americans/ South American culture.

Also remember atlanta are in this position because they signed so many South American busts.