Page 4 of 138 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    We signed two Italian studs to look after the season seats, I am sure no one purchased seasons when the Bob Bradley signing was announced, I will take Smyrniotis or any random Italian coach over this disaster who is coaching us now

Symniotas turned you lot down so you went for Losada...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, what's the official Section 223 opinion on your new guy Losada?

He is legit worse than Bob Bradley unless the goal is to run a fat camp during the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't know if rot is the right word. Laziness and convenience seem about right. Most moves Manning makes are the simplest possible ones (managerial & GM ones to date) and then he hands off the keys (and responsibilty) to go play in ML$E land until there's wining & dining or a media event to attend.

I hope it all works out and the players magically adapt and we're good but if not then at least last season was the big tear down and we haven't added a bunch of boat anchor contracts (besides maybe Osorio) to the mix. If we have to fail and nuke the FO then this year is the year to do it.
    Maybe rot is too strong a word, but I’d say lazy is too forgiving, unless it’s twinned with arrogance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
    Do you think they are giving BB the keys to the house because the long-term plan is to turn the team over to MB? That would be my bet. Hopefully, MB gets his coaching license.

Off topic a little: Couple of years ago I was attending a wedding shower for one of my BF. One of his cousins brought her Husband with her. Eventually, I got to causally talking with him and asked what he did for a living. He worked for a start-up sports analytics company in Montreal. Interesting.

As I am a huge sports fan and I was just starting to understand advance analytics better (for all sports), I asked him what sports he worked on and he said, Soccer (Football, I know).

I hadn't heard much about Soccer Analytics (other than the Hockey Analytics community was using them as a guide) and which ones to pay attention too and I asked him that question: His answer: "Payroll, the best teams have the highest Payroll."

I think about that all the time re: TFC.
    The possibility of MB taking over worries me to no end. A complete housecleaning is needed if the current experiment fails. This should be the last chance to succeed, if not Manning, BB, and MB need to go and allow a true rebirth of the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its jus about ticket sales for the argo president.he has got no cache in the futbol world,maybe he was good for salt lake and the 2 mil budgets but this is way over his head now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably just supposition, but Firmino to MLS seems a reasonable idea in England.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/03/0...rest-from-mls/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If it all craters... It would be interesting to see Carletto. Otherwise... Nancy, Wilfried, would be my candidate/compromise; Vaney-esque/2.0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Probably just supposition, but Firmino to MLS seems a reasonable idea in England.

I would welcome him. Also...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    its jus about ticket sales for the argo president.he has got no cache in the futbol world,maybe he was good for salt lake and the 2 mil budgets but this is way over his head now
    No doubt. The longer he’s here, the more I’m sure he is the root of the club’s issues. That and the zombie corporate ownership that allows him to continue.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    No doubt. The longer he’s here, the more I’m sure he is the root of the club’s issues. That and the zombie corporate ownership that allows him to continue.
    Yes I shudder to think what Bob and Bill would do with a low budget MLS franchise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Brazilian Mullinho would be welcome here to help us lock down wins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The possibility of MB taking over worries me to no end. A complete housecleaning is needed if the current experiment fails. This should be the last chance to succeed, if not Manning, BB, and MB need to go and allow a true rebirth of the club.
    If this experiment fails and the playoffs are missed again this year then you might as well rebrand the club

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those not in the building on Saturday, the Apple TV assignments. There is also a French and Spanish broadcast crew on Apple calling the game too. Will be busy up in the booths with three crew. No TSN this week as they have the Montreal game Saturday.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, what's the official Section 223 opinion on your new guy Losada?

He is legit worse than Bob Bradley unless the goal is to run a fat camp during the season.
    For the record I’m a Day 1 season seat holder, what is your problem man ? I choose to call out management for its incompetence, I watched Montreal play attractive football these last few years on a fraction of the budget of our club. Try to picture Bob Bradley and Bill running this club on a small market budget, not a pretty sight is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I shudder to think what Bob and Bill would do with a low budget MLS franchise
    I actually think they would both do better on low budget teams. Access to money to can really skew some people’s perspectives and decision making. I say this due to dealing with some very rich and powerful people. We need people who have the wherewithal to connect rich and powerful to the everyday(in the football world). Leiweke seemed to get it.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 03-09-2023 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think they would both do better on low budget teams. Access to money to can really skew some people’s perspectives and decision making. I say this due to dealing with some very rich and powerful people. We need people who have the wherewithal to connect rich and powerful to the everyday(in the football world). Leiweke seemed to get it.
    I’m not trying to pile on here as I know the OP has a bit of a rep for inflaming things on this board but I fail to see how this could possibly be the case.

I know what you’re driving at. In the sense that some managers have skills that better fit a low budget setup. They’re good at hunting for bargains or developing talent and probably feel uncomfortable with the immediate pressure to win at a big budget club.

But I don’t see either Bill or Bob as that low budget type at all. Looking at the nature of our signings and the way they operate, I think they’d face plant hard in that sort of money constrained environment. Now if you said someone like Ali Curtis, who seemed to have a very modest vision and was always digging around for shit in the weeds, I might agree with you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched Montreal play attractive football these last few years on a fraction of the budget of our club.
    They played attractive football for a year or so under Nancy and during his best season (2022):

8. Toronto FC: $15,210,000

15. CF Montréal: $12,920,000

Not the fraction that I think you were expecting. Now this year it will be much different obviously but Montreal will also be Wooden Spoon level shit whereas we'll probably be mediocre.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record I’m a Day 1 season seat holder, what is your problem man ? I choose to call out management for its incompetence, I watched Montreal play attractive football these last few years on a fraction of the budget of our club. Try to picture Bob Bradley and Bill running this club on a small market budget, not a pretty sight is it?
    So what if you've held BMO tickets because Stade Saputo is too far away to watch your team Montreal play?

It would be more plausible that you were really a full-hearted Toronto fan impressed by good management elsewhere if you were praising Seattle or even Columbus, who have actually well-run teams. Joey Saputo has to be the most idiosyncratic and cheapskate owner in MLS, and while he's hired the occasional decent first team coach, he usually ultimately gets in fights with his coach leading to said coach being fired or quitting. Mr. Cheese puts the "fun" into disfunctional. No serious soccer analyst has much respect for Montreal's ownership.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-09-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m not trying to pile on here as I know the OP has a bit of a rep for inflaming things on this board but I fail to see how this could possibly be the case.

I know what you’re driving at. In the sense that some managers have skills that better fit a low budget setup. They’re good at hunting for bargains or developing talent and probably feel uncomfortable with the immediate pressure to win at a big budget club.

But I don’t see either Bill or Bob as that low budget type at all. Looking at the nature of our signings and the way they operate, I think they’d face plant hard in that sort of money constrained environment. Now if you said someone like Ali Curtis, who seemed to have a very modest vision and was always digging around for shit in the weeds, I might agree with you.
    I hear what you are saying, but not sure it invalidates my point. Neither can seem to make good decisions in a big money environment. Too many options to keep on a clear path maybe? But both have only seemed to excel in constrained or low budget environments. If your point is they can’t be successful in any environment, I might agree with that, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear what you are saying, but not sure it invalidates my point. Neither can seem to make good decisions in a big money environment. Too many options to keep on a clear path maybe? But both have only seemed to excel in constrained or low budget environments. If your point is they can’t be successful in any environment, I might agree with that, lol.
    If excellence is judged by winning, neither has excelled for much of their career. Manning literally walked into an already built RSL, which only made the playoffs on the final day because of our collapse at NYRB. He had zero to do with "building a winner" there, as it's also the last time they won anything.

Bob won the Supporter's Shield at LA but had a $15.3M budget to do it. At Chivas, where he had a limited budget, he was fired after winning only 10 games, as I recall. He won in Chicago's first year in 1996 but the level then was borderline semi-pro.

Bob had some good second and fourth-place finishes with cheaper teams, but in both cases had opportunities to win the league and didn't.

At Swansea, where he had no roster movement and wasn't there long, he had no real budget relative to the level and flunked out quickly. His other two most succesful gigs were national teams.

So neither of them has "won" anything on a cheap budget, I would say. Manning's wins here were with (once again a team he didn't build) the highest payoll in the league.

I do agree with the general contention though that for some people, money complicates more than it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If excellence is judged by winning, neither has excelled for much of their career. Manning literally walked into an already built RSL, which only made the playoffs on the final day because of our collapse at NYRB. He had zero to do with "building a winner" there, as it's also the last time they won anything.

Bob won the Supporter's Shield at LA but had a $15.3M budget to do it. At Chivas, where he had a limited budget, he was fired after winning only 10 games, as I recall. He won in Chicago's first year in 1996 but the level then was borderline semi-pro.

Bob had some good second and fourth-place finishes with cheaper teams, but in both cases had opportunities to win the league and didn't.

At Swansea, where he had no roster movement and wasn't there long, he had no real budget relative to the level and flunked out quickly. His other two most succesful gigs were national teams.

So neither of them has "won" anything on a cheap budget, I would say. Manning's wins here were with (once again a team he didn't build) the highest payoll in the league.

I do agree with the general contention though that for some people, money complicates more than it helps.
    Well, it certainly seems that an argument can be made that none of the leadership on the team has had any clear success in a professional environment. I’d argue that MB could be lumped in with his dad and Manning, as Giovinco and Pozuelo were the obvious difference makers during the winning years. Not to say that MB wasn’t important at the time, but he certainly wasn’t irreplaceable like Giovinco and, to a limited extent, Pozuelo was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to manning oso is in the dp slot for now.no new dp until summer

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They played attractive football for a year or so under Nancy and during his best season (2022):

8. Toronto FC: $15,210,000

15. CF Montréal: $12,920,000

Not the fraction that I think you were expecting. Now this year it will be much different obviously but Montreal will also be Wooden Spoon level shit whereas we'll probably be mediocre.
    The club is currently paying over 30 million in yearly wages , we haven’t won a game since last summer, I sure hope as you say we reach that mediocrity level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was obvious though and makes sense. No point filling that 3rd DP slot till the European transfer window opens and lots of players are out of contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL!!!! i guess no depth is coming

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The club is currently paying over 30 million in yearly wages , we haven’t won a game since last summer, I sure hope as you say we reach that mediocrity level
    The last 4 matches of 2022 are irrelevant. This year we lost one we should have won and drew one we should have lost. That's mediocrity right there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    This was obvious though and makes sense. No point filling that 3rd DP slot till the European transfer window opens and lots of players are out of contract.

well i mean- there also is no point in waiting so long to add a 3rd DP when LI and FB are going on the second year- then we will hear the new DP will need time to build chemistry at the end of August- as TFC tries to make a play-off push.

Seems like no strategy in place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still paying Curtis and Armas and I believe Jozy, Auro and Soteldo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    well i mean- there also is no point in waiting so long to add a 3rd DP when LI and FB are going on the second year- then we will hear the new DP will need time to build chemistry at the end of August- as TFC tries to make a play-off push.

Seems like no strategy in place.
    There sort of is unless it's by happenstance.

Like if I were running things I may have waited too. First with the expanded, ridiculous playoff field the first half of the season really doesn't matter at all anymore. It's like an extended pre-season to get ready for the push towards the fall. Second is the Messi factor. If MLS does what it probably will have to do for him to come this summer then getting saddled with a certain contract now may not necessarily pay off then. You never know with MLS and usually what they do decide to do is stupid so it could be something like "sign only 2 DPs and then convert that last DP spot to 3 cap exempt TAM level domestics" or something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    Still paying Curtis and Armas and I believe Jozy, Auro and Soteldo?
    Not sure about Curtis but not the other 3 anymore.