Page 30 of 138 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Bob killed us in cap land, no doubt. That's going to be a noose for whoever is next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Things like that and giving away Shaff who is not the second coming of Mewssi (And is quite overrated on here in general) are not good moves in MLS.
    Here is my thing with Shaffelburg. Is he a savour? No… but, here’s the story we were fed: he’s going to be blocked by Insigne, doesn’t fit our style of play, etc…

What was not said: we have no capable backup for Insgine if he’s injured, sometimes it would make sense to change our tactics and tuck Insgine inside leaving room for them both to be on the field, the dude is fast and can actually put a good ball in. Most importantly, he seems to be on a career incline where he’ll be capable, inexpensive, and in the league for a long time. You don’t trade players like that, especially for the peanuts we got back.

Bob is so idealistic and inflexible (unless forced), he’d leave gold in the ground if he were looking for diamonds because it doesn’t fit the nature of what he set out to get.

There are other moves too that puzzle me. We got basically rid of Mavinga for Norwegian Chris Mavinga. Like I agree it was time to move on but please find someone back there who doesn’t make such big gafs.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 05-10-2023 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priso has played 8 games this season on a team with an identical record to our own. He is absolutely a player who could provide depth on a squad like ours.

Let's look at tyhat trade, in isolation, it's a great example of where we've shat the bed. So here's some things I think

- Priso is not a starter in a good MLS team, and maybe never will be
    - Priso is not as good as MAK is now, and maybe never will be
    - That was a bad trade

In a non MLS league, it'd be fine. But we traded an $85444 for a $700,000 cap hit AND $1,000,000 in GAM. We traded away a player who cost next to nothing who could play some games and provide some coverage, players like that are *crucial* to putting out a decent MLS squad. Players like that were huge for is in 2017.

And we got an upgrade, but enough to justify that level of salary cap crippling? No. I don't think so.

Things like that and giving away Shaff who is not the second coming of Mewssi (And is quite overrated on here in general) are not good moves in MLS.

We gave Bradley a blank canvas and a bigger cheque than anyone has seen in mls history, and he put us against the cap. And what do we have? A good goalkeeper/defence, a bad mid field, great wingers (but we don't use them well) and not a single striker starting in a good mls team. And no backup. Objectively, we have mismanaged the cap. There is no argument I will hear against that. Output vs return that is *bad*. And mistakes like that are part, not completely, but part of why we're where we are

Nobody is saying these players are world class, just low cap hit and able to slot in sometimes which frees up space to spend on starters who can move the needle
    Not to throw gas on your fire, but that $85444 equated to 0 cap hit as he is homegrown. The MAK trade is inarguably looking worse by the game. Priso would likely be getting minutes on this team if he were still here so I think this argument is certainly valid.

The Shaff trade doesn't bother me as much because I know he would be buried on the bench. Not saying I agree with that, but if a coach is going to take that stance then I'm not opposed to acquiring usable assets in exchange for a player that will not be utilized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember when we paid to ship off Auro Jr when we had NO fullback.

Not even given a chance.

I think Bob is a dinosaur manager, I was excited when he came in buts it's clear he can't adjust.

My way or the highway doesn't work in MLS. He ain't no Ferguson with unlimited money to pick and choose the optimal player. You mold your system around the players, not the other way around in MLS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Remember when we paid to ship off Auro Jr when we had NO fullback.

Not even given a chance.
    I don't think Auro is the guy you want to point to as an example of letting the wrong guy go no matter who was left at FB. He was barely better than what we had last year and what's the point in riding him out on an option year that you would never pick up.

Shaff is the worst decision Bob made. Priso maybe but I am not sold on him. MAK I still say would be good if we had a system rather than whatever it is we have going.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think Auro is the guy you want to point to as an example of letting the wrong guy go no matter who was left at FB. He was barely better than what we had last year and what's the point in riding him out on an option year that you would never pick up.

Shaff is the worst decision Bob made. Priso maybe but I am not sold on him. MAK I still say would be good if we had a system rather than whatever it is we have going.
    So I say this gest but Terry Kiser put in a more lively performance in Weekend at Bernie’s than Kosi Thompson at fullback last year

No way Auro wasn’t an improvement on that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So I say this gest but Terry Kiser put in a more lively performance in Weekend at Bernie’s than Kosi Thompson at fullback last year

No way Auro wasn’t an improvement on that.
    He would have been but for a limited cycle. Bob figured he could coach up Thompson. Probably overestimated his ability to coach him into a FB and now seeing what the system he was trying to get newbs to do makes it seem even more foolish. But had it of worked then it would have been worth the year of struggles. During last season I could live with that kind of trial by fire gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He would have been but for a limited cycle. Bob figured he could coach up Thompson. Probably overestimated his ability to coach him into a FB and now seeing what the system he was trying to get newbs to do makes it seem even more foolish. But had it of worked then it would have been worth the year of struggles. During last season I could live with that kind of trial by fire gamble.
    One of his biggest blindspots is his belief he can turn any good athlete into a new position. It's staggeringly naive, given how the game has changed in terms of academies and development. Sometimes, the guy's skills are going to fit multiple positions. Most of the time, they really won't. Kosi was not a defender. He did not have the positional instincts or read of a game's flow required and it was obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if anyone in our lethargic sports media actually bothered to call Auro Jr in Brazil and ask what happened.

Hmmm... imagine, digging for a story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cap might of been an issue before Bob came and he made it worse.

But the lack of urgency in my eyes is concerning either players don't want to switch positions or he doesn't feel his job is in danger.

He's not making any urgent formation changes which blows my mind. Why not try an 4-4-2 with all these defensive mids we r starting and just leave the DPs up top.

Or put Bern in the mid at CAM and Rutty out wide try something different cause this is not working.

Our DPs should be tearing this league apart.

Changes need to happen now from the top down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Not to throw gas on your fire, but that $85444 equated to 0 cap hit as he is homegrown. The MAK trade is inarguably looking worse by the game. Priso would likely be getting minutes on this team if he were still here so I think this argument is certainly valid.

The Shaff trade doesn't bother me as much because I know he would be buried on the bench. Not saying I agree with that, but if a coach is going to take that stance then I'm not opposed to acquiring usable assets in exchange for a player that will not be utilized.
    Last edited by spe18; 05-10-2023 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know if MB has even been around the team lately? Especially, in the last few days, given the circumstances? He being Captain of Lower Body FC. Or is he MIA? From training camp or at the club box at recent home matches? Has he done any interviews or social media posts in the meantime? Do we know what his injury actually may be? I find all of this odd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Does anyone know if MB has even been around the team lately? Especially, in the last few days, given the circumstances? He being Captain of Lower Body FC. Or is he MIA? From training camp or at the club box at recent home matches? Has he done any interviews or social media posts in the meantime? Do we know what his injury actually may be? I find all of this odd.
    I'm also confused by what exactly his injury is.
    It seemed like he was just going to miss one game when they first said it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Does anyone know if MB has even been around the team lately?
    All injured players, unless cleared to rehab on their own, have to report to training.

As for Priso, as previously indicated, MAK is statistically a better player for us & assuming Priso would be better then him based on 230 minutes played over 8 games is a stretch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    All injured players, unless cleared to rehab on their own, have to report to training.

As for Priso, as previously indicated, MAK is statistically a better player for us & assuming Priso would be better then him based on 230 minutes played over 8 games is a stretch.
    But nobody is saying that he'd be better?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But nobody is saying that he'd be better?
    We can't have both Priso & MAK so yeh...if people think the MAK trade was bad, they have to believe Priso would be an improvement.

or

Believe we could have gotten a better Canadian then MAK for less then that price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We can't have both Priso & MAK so yeh...if people think the MAK trade was bad, they have to believe Priso would be an improvement.

or

Believe we could have gotten a better Canadian then MAK for less then that price.
    No? They don't? I explained why earlier. You can trade a player for a better player and it be a bad trade if you gave up too much. There's alot more nuance than "player better ergo trade good!"

It is both a bad trade and true that MAK is a better player than Priso.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we played MAK as the DM and had a system with legitimate passing lanes and actual movement he would probably be pretty good. Leading MLS in tackles, not the fastest but mobile enough, can throw his body around pretty hard. We just need a manager to come in, simplify things, & play people to their strengths.

As for that trade, I look at it as Priso for MAK. Initially we win, mid term hopefully us, long term maybe them. Of course all that is based on us actually being able to play football and not keep doing what we've been doing here. As for the additions on that trade, I don't even worry about the allocation money because B&B probably would have blown it on some loser or else sat on it and said they had no cap space to make a move. Pretty sure that's their M.O. They can't manage to land anyone so they imply there's no space or very little left. We had mostly homegrowns last year but they said there was very little room to make a move. Whatever.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 05-11-2023 at 08:39 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I'm also confused by what exactly his injury is.
    It seemed like he was just going to miss one game when they first said it.
    Maybe his ego was beat up pretty badly by that TSN segment and that is the longer term injury He was injured and out the very next game after that aired. Just a coincidence....maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re the Priso for MAK you have to look at opportunity cost.

Statistically yes MAK has been better, but by not having that trade made we would have an extra 800k in salary plus a million or so GAM. More than enough to fill our hole at striker and our lack of quality subs.
    Without Kaye, we could have a healthy midfield of Osorio, Sevania, Bradley (I know Oso and MB have been a bit off this season, but it's theoretical) plus [to use former player comparisons] a Kovermans-type at striker a sub options like Will Johnson, Nico Hasler, Tosaint Ricketts, Armando Cooper

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    by not having that trade made we would have an extra 800k in salary plus a million or so GAM. More than enough to fill our hole at striker and our lack of quality subs
    If they would have chosen that route and not just overpaid another guy like Petretta. Also the GAM would be for 2023 and then we'd probably have to sell off people before 2024 to make it up since we're always at the cap. With our level of poor roster construction you can really only count on solid returning assets rather than theoretical acquisitions. Also all the players you listed were from a bygone age of MLS. No good guys come cheap like that anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, as it stands at the moment, the Coello news is the most problematic for me. The MB news? While I am, more or less (lately), part of the pro MB faction, once again, for lack of a better phrase, it seems The Captain may be taking one for the betterment of the club. That is, his unfortunate circumstances may provide TFC a silver lining; the proverbial life-line, an opportunity or opportunities at the next summer window. If his injury is indeed season ending as suggested and his contract is up for renewal, his father, or someone else, has the obligation to do him dirty, and at the very least, claim Salary Budget Relief for the one Season Injury Relief allowance permitted. TFC could have 750K+, the plus pro-rated, from before the window, salary cap relief to work with. All that may be left to do is determine how to play that hand TFC may have been dealt. Should it be all in on a DP/CF or on a DP/DMID or perhaps a balanced budget split between those two positions?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-11-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    by not having that trade made we would have an extra 800k in salary plus a million or so GAM. More than enough to fill our hole at striker and our lack of quality subs.
    Still remember being crucified for calling that trade out on the board with exactly that argument in mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Still remember being crucified for calling that trade out on the board with exactly that argument in mind.
    Yeah I liked that deal at the time.

MAK and now Oso just look so different in the CMNT setup. I don’t know why that is.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Yeah I liked that deal at the time.

MAK and now Oso just look so different in the CMNT setup. I don’t know why that is.
    It's just the precision required in our tactical set. Steve Cherundolo said in LA last week that running it requires speed and absolute precision in passing and moving.

But our players aren't rigorously technically disciplined.

They're mostly guys with either a lot of ball skills (Oso, Michael, Coello) or great athleticism (Kaye, Servania). BUt they're technically very sloppy; look how often under pressure we cough up the ball not due to a tackle or shoulder barge, but just because a guy traps lazily and the ball bounces away, or his pass is a few inches off.

In his system, we do ourselves in. It's so reliant on REDUCING space between teammates, so there's always support nearby, that it also shrinks the field. If a team is passing extremely precisely, it works really well. By the time a defender has a foot in, the ball is already gone.

But on a technically sloppy team, it's giveaway suicide.

On the national team, nearly all of Herdman's tactics are about using space, getting guys running into and receiving the ball as far away from cover as possible, so that the other team is always trying to "catch" the carrier. Eventually, it leaves gaps behind their backline from defenders (mid and backline) pushing into central cover positions, and our wingers have all sorts of space on the switch to get behind them.

His tactical set works with our guys because it's pretty basic and direct, and if they're a few inches off or trap it hard, it doesn't matter. They're usually too far way for the defenders to immediately press them and cough up the ball.

When Croatia beat up on us, they did it because they added an extra man into the midfield, so that our two-man DM line couldn't pressure without a third man as a safe outlet going past them. What that did was force the play centrally, taking Davies and Buchanan largely out of the game, and giving the advantage to their superior technical ability to find holes in the crowded middle.

Our tactical set can't work with our players. They're just not consistently technically perfect enough.

And it's confusing as shit for the Italians. They come from a league where instant double-team pressure means at least one defender is blowing his zonal coverage, as teams move as units. Here, as soon as they get the ball, two guys are on top of their boots. There is no marking off, there is no respecting the dribble. They know our other players aren't fast or consistent enough to offer proper support, so they just pressure the Italians until they try to do too much and cough it up.

Either that, or we hand them the ball with sloppy passing and trapping.
    Last edited by jloome; 05-11-2023 at 06:23 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Let's not forget 3rd overall in the Superdraft as well.... TBH, i think that is what annoyed me the most. Why did we throw that in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Let's not forget 3rd overall in the Superdraft as well.... TBH, i think that is what annoyed me the most. Why did we throw that in?
    and we gave up a intl spot for this season so you can add another 300 to 400k to that trade tally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But let's be smart about it: let's take our best young prospects in other positions and try to shoehorn them into those roles, and when it doesn't work sell them.
    Its funny cause its true!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Singh piece confirms what we all thought, they've badly mismanaged the budget.

They were counting on selling young players (probably JMR) and are still paying out Dwyer, Lawrence and Altidore's contracts.

Jesus H, what a shitshow.

https://www.homestandsports.com/post...n-the-hot-seat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Singh piece confirms what we all thought, they've badly mismanaged the budget.

They were counting on selling young players (probably JMR) and are still paying out Dwyer, Lawrence and Altidore's contracts.

Jesus H, what a shitshow.

https://www.homestandsports.com/post...n-the-hot-seat
    Worst run team in the league, no question about it. Have been since bez left.

The worst tidbit is the confirmation of mlse asking for cost cutting, something I'm shocked didn't happen earlier. The opportunity cost on wasting all this money could be profound, far beyond what people are thinking