Page 15 of 138 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Just looked up Altidore's salary in 2021 and he earned $3.6MM which is 25% of Insigne's annual salary. The way its looking so far TFC is going to get about the same number of games from Insigne at 4 times the cost.

Hope I am wrong here or this will be a disaster for the club.
    Honestly, take a breath. He has an injury, the sky isn't falling. It happens.

Until we're paying him millions of dollars to play against us this isn't a conversation. We're talking about, still, a possible mvp player. We have no idea yet about how this will go
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 04-01-2023 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you want to say the worst since you joined the board in 2018, fine, but TFC in 2010 signed one of the worst DP contracts in MLS history. Why he was signed as striker when he had only 5 goals in the previous 5 years is a mystery. Check out number 4 on this list:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/01/12/mls-worst-designated-players-marquez-mista-reyna-denilson-mbolhi

Mista earning about a million for one goal is pretty bad but his contract was very short, there was no long lasting effects of it.

Insigne however is on a guaranteed contract of 4 years(roughly $60M). That's a lot of risk to take on for a guy his age, at this moment it's not looking so great, however I think we'll have a better indication by end of this season.

Altidore is by far the worst contract(re-signing) in TFC history, not even up for debate on that one at this point in time.
    Last edited by Richard; 04-01-2023 at 06:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Mista earning about a million for one goal is pretty bad but his contract was very short, there was no long lasting effects of it.

Insigne however is on a guaranteed contract of 4 years(roughly $60M). That's a lot of risk to take on for a guy his age, at this moment it's not looking so great, however I think we'll have a better indication by end of this season.

Altidore is by far the worst contract(re-signing) in TFC history, not even up for debate on that one at this point in time.
    Ah those were the days! Mo, Mista, Cochrane, Anselmi, Mariner and the lot. I don’t think we’ll ever come anywhere close again to that wonderful and perennial mix of incompetence, deceit and corruption!

Insigne, overall, we don’t know very much about yet but he’s a hell of a player. Jose was the greatest US striker and led us brilliantly to much success. Think you might be lacking the hindsight of a little history and a lot of experience. Context, in other words.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-02-2023 at 01:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley confirms Victor Vázquez uses one of the bonus slots.
    Team will likely sign Alonso Coello to a first team deal
    https://www.torontofc.ca/video/postg...y-april-1-2023

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Ah those were the days! Mo, Mista, Cochrane, Anselmi, Mariner and the lot. I don’t think we’ll ever come anywhere close again to that wonderful and perennial mix of incompetence, deceit and corruption!

Insigne, overall, we don’t know very much about yet but he’s a hell of a player. Jose was the greatest US striker and led us brilliantly to much success. Think you might be lacking the hindsight of a little history and a lot of experience. Context, in other words.
    At the risk of being called a troll, which would be deserved…

Insigne's contract, the day it was signed, was the worst in TFC history. Just because of what the expected value of the last two years at $30M is.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, and it pains me to say this… Ayo isn’t the answer. He just has never recovered that burst he had before the injury, and without it, he can’t do what he needs to do.

I feel bad for him, but we are at, or very near, the end of the line.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    At the risk of being called a troll, which would be deserved…

Insigne's contract, the day it was signed, was the worst in TFC history. Just because of what the expected value of the last two years at $30M is.
    I still don't think there's any argument past jozys re-up..how much did that cost overall, north of ten million? For a player with, basically, no upside at all at the time? I agree the backend of insignes contract looks bad but there's a chance the frontend delivers something, jozys contract was bad before the ink dried and only getting worse from there

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I still don't think there's any argument past jozys re-up..how much did that cost overall, north of ten million? For a player with, basically, no upside at all at the time? I agree the backend of insignes contract looks bad but there's a chance the frontend delivers something, jozys contract was bad before the ink dried and only getting worse from there
    Impossible to argue right now. Most of the $18M Jozy got was wasted. We will have to see how Insigne plays out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Impossible to argue right now. Most of the $18M Jozy got was wasted. We will have to see how Insigne plays out.
    Can't argue on outcome for sure but I mean if you froze time at the decision point and you're allowed no hindsight and only the information they had at the time (which is the only fair way to judge the decision), Jozys re-up is up there for one of the worst I can think of in MLS. I'm sure there's worse, but I can't think of hand of what was worse at the decision point

Insigne, yeah, no way any MLS player ever returns that investment for sure. But at least he *could* put in a couple of MVP seasons and sell alot of tickets, especially if the Bradley era works out. There's upside there. It may turn out to be a catastrophe, but at least I could see what the upside was at the decision point even if, financially, it never made any sense to me

Jozy? With what we knew at the time? Absolute insanity. There isn't even the most optimistic upside argument you could start to make for a player we already knew had completely broken down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. These are not the conditions for players in their thirties used to playing in Europe to succeed. Even Seba declined significantly in his last year with TFC.

Going forward I hope the club only signs DP's in their twenties. I want players who will help the team win trophies, not sell tickets to fair weather fans.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this. I never thought I'd actually believe Mista would be a better feel then the value we waste now.

True Mista didn't produce but he was younger and a cheaper DP in a time we were starving for one. Even at the time the fact his goal came outside of the league on a bigger and brand-new-for us stage resonated.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs.
    Probably the best most succinct description of the rigors of playing in MLS that I've read so far. In fact (if you don't mind) I'll add that as a tagline for now.

I think any club anyehere gets off track when they think marketing ahead of play. You could go back to Real Madrid during the "Galacticos" era that had so many stars and so few trophies. It's especially dire in a physical, salary "capped" league like MLS.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-03-2023 at 12:22 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think any club anyehere gets off track when they think marketing ahead of play.
    Like us every year since 2014.

Assembling a very good team will sell better overall than a mediocre one with some big name player on it. The big name draw will fade and fade much faster if the team or he is shitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the best most succinct description of the rigors of playing in MLS that I've read so far. In fact (if you don't mind) I'll add that as a tagline for now.

I think any club anyehere gets off track when they think marketing ahead of play. You could go back to Real Madrid during the "Galacticos" era that had so many stars and so few trophies. It's especially dire in a physical, salary "capped" league like MLS.
    Flipside, you could argue that strategy helped give them the money to put together the team that finally won decima and had all the later success

I don't disagree (Honestly think that entire Real Madrid galacticos clusterfuck was down to one move, replacing Makelele with Beckham, but they truly did shit the bed, yes), but the business side does matter to some extent and especially in a league like ours unfortunately. However, names only work if you get results. Otherwise they work in the short term only. Look at us with Insigne right now, if he comes back in a month from now and we've lost every game between now and then he is not coming back to a sold out house or anything close to it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be my guest. Do I get any residual fees earned?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine was "it's like the Premier League except with opposing defenders passing it to the St. Louis forward to send him on breakaways."

You can use that for free too if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Like us every year since 2014.

Assembling a very good team will sell better overall than a mediocre one with some big name player on it. The big name draw will fade and fade much faster if the team or he is shitty.
    I would argue that Pozuela was an exception. Not a recognizable name but he carried TFC on his back to the MLS Cup final in 2019, and close to a Supporters Shield in 2020 when he was league MVP. Despite that playoff run in 2019 there was very little buzz about the team in town and a lot of empty seats in the playoff game against D.C.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would argue that Pozuela was an exception. Not a recognizable name but he carried TFC on his back to the MLS Cup final in 2019, and close to a Supporters Shield in 2020 when he was league MVP. Despite that playoff run in 2019 there was very little buzz about the team in town and a lot of empty seats in the playoff game against D.C.
    Him yes, he was more of marketing after the fact rather than prior. And those empty seats + Covid lost matches here are probably what caused the course correction in going large for Insigne as soon as they could.

In the same era; Soteldo was a classic flashy guy buy to sell seats move. Even Gallardo who was cheaper but still a huge bust and seemed more like a PR signing than anything else.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Mine was "it's like the Premier League except with opposing defenders passing it to the St. Louis forward to send him on breakaways."

You can use that for free too if you want.
    Pretty accurate.

...and we still wonder why you typically have to pay above market value to get a European player to play here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In optimistic news, it's been about three weeks since Insigne was said to be out 3 to 4 weeks. There were reports he was in training last week, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have thoughts on who might be a realistic target to address our defensive midfielder issue? I really don't watch the league enough to know if there are any MLS targets. I don't think we're in a position to look across the pond for one. Just curious who we could target for that position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    In optimistic news, it's been about three weeks since Insigne was said to be out 3 to 4 weeks. There were reports he was in training last week, I think.
    I do feel he is back either in Nashville this Saturday or the following weekend at home against Atlanta.

Either way, we badly need him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I do feel he is back either in Nashville this Saturday or the following weekend at home against Atlanta.

Either way, we badly need him.
    Yeah, no surprise there that we need him. One of two DPs, probably the best winger in the league and certainly the most expensive player. In our salary restricted, unbalanced league that’s always going to be huge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to go back on my Jebbison/Sheffield United BS because he's both a U22 and has potential:

That team has a ton of young, hungry strikers and they're about to go up in the Prem. He either sits on the bench or gets sent to some other team and damn it, why can't it be us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Yeah, no surprise there that we need him. One of two DPs, probably the best winger in the league and certainly the most expensive player. In our salary restricted, unbalanced league that’s always going to be huge.
    Yea, I think a lot of people forget how good he is and have wrote him off way too early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Yea, I think a lot of people forget how good he is and have wrote him off way too early.

Agreed. Think we'll look like a different team with him back.

An alternative way of looking at our start is that we haven't lost in 5 games without one of the top players in the league. I think if we keep picking up points now, even draws, we'll be in a good position. These next 4 games will tell a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An alternative way of looking at our start is that we haven't lost in 5 games without one of the top players in the league. I think if we keep picking up points now, even draws, we'll be in a good position. These next 4 games will tell a lot.
    They're against tougher teams. If we come out of this with points from each and no losses, we're probably okay. If we come out of it with a few draws and a few losses but no wins, that's a sign we've got real problems as we just can't finish out games, still.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're against tougher teams. If we come out of this with points from each and no losses, we're probably okay. If we come out of it with a few draws and a few losses but no wins, that's a sign we've got real problems as we just can't finish out games, still.
    4 Draws in a row

Nashville and Philly away will be very tough...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt... on both points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I’m hoping we step up for the better teams. We’ve got the talent and almost all of our players are better when the competition is better. Not to say we win them all (odds of that are low even if we were top of the table) but that we look competitive and take some points.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 04-04-2023 at 06:56 PM.