Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Nah he's on way more money than was reported, to the point where his camp was angry it was reported as so little in the MLSPA numbers.

I'm guessing a lot of the money is in various marketing and commercial deals so doesn't appear on the MLSPA numbers.

"Insigne’s reps, meanwhile, were upset that the 2023 MLSPA salary release did not include the star’s marketing deal that adds a significant chunk to his earnings"

Also means he's way harder to shift as has more ties to the city.

Feel like it's saudi or nothing fir him
    I don't believe that off the face of it, though.

The league doesn't allow off-contract marketing deals with a player's club, only through them or third parties. Any compensation that is with TFC has to be reported as part of his overall package.

They might have arranged other contractual ties in Toronto, but they won't be through or with TFC, it just doesn't work that way. For example, Beckham's "shirt" deal was with MLS directly, not part of his Galaxy contract. THey had to cut multiple off contract deals with him, but they were all agreements in writing with the league, separately.

I just don't assume that's true, that's he's on more. They have "verified" and "unverified" status for contract listings, and the verified ones have been affirmed by their player association.

He's on $144,000 a week from TFC. If he's getting more than that, it's not a deal with the team.

He was on much more his first year, because they front-loaded the deal. So last year, he made nearly $300K per week. This year, he's on $144K per week, and is for the next four years. His last three years at Napoli, he was on $184K.

$44M on overall value is still a huge contract, it's just not what was reported. Given the apparent extra year, he may have a clause where he can opt out of his final year but the figure is guaranteed, so we still have to eat it in five years time. Still is well short of what was announced by the Italian press.

I'll be as conspiracy theory as anyone if the facts are there, but this stuff is all released publicly as part of the players' association protecting its members. If they attempted to hide $7M a year off books, we'd be seeing lawsuits out the yin yang.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-20-2023 at 04:31 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't believe that off the face of it, though.

The league doesn't allow off-contract marketing deals with a player's club, only through them or third parties. Any compensation that is with TFC has to be reported as part of his overall package.

They might have arranged other contractual ties in Toronto, but they won't be through or with TFC, it just doesn't work that way. For example, Beckham's "shirt" deal was with MLS directly, not part of his Galaxy contract. THey had to cut multiple off contract deals with him, but they were all agreements in writing with the league, separately.

I just don't assume that's true, that's he's on more. They have "verified" and "unverified" status for contract listings, and the verified ones have been affirmed by their player association.

He's on $144,000 a week from TFC. If he's getting more than that, it's not a deal with the team.

He was on much more his first year, because they front-loaded the deal. So last year, he made nearly $300K per week. This year, he's on $144K per week, and is for the next four years. His last three years at Napoli, he was on $184K.

$44M on overall value is still a huge contract, it's just not what was reported. Given the apparent extra year, he may have a clause where he can opt out of his final year but the figure is guaranteed, so we still have to eat it in five years time. Still is well short of what was announced by the Italian press.

I'll be as conspiracy theory as anyone if the facts are there, but this stuff is all released publicly as part of the players' association protecting its members. If they attempted to hide $7M a year off books, we'd be seeing lawsuits out the yin yang.
    Insigne's camp explicitly said his contract was worth significantly more than the MLSPA numbers indicated.

And if he was on 7 mill usd a year he'd be easy to shift, that's 21 mill usd over the next 3 seasons as a total outlay assuming we'd let him go for free if we wanted rid.

I wish he was. He's not.

"Insigne’s reps, meanwhile, were upset that the 2023 MLSPA salary release did not include the star’s marketing deal that adds a significant chunk to his earnings"

From the paul tenorio athletic article.

Would guess it's not hidden off books, but seperate salary from his playing salary and maybe not needed to be included in the mlspa earnings?

Would also guess these contracts require him to be in Toronto. Which is why we've not seen any real links from Europe yet.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 07-20-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Insigne's camp explicitly said his contract was worth significantly more than the MLSPA numbers indicated.

And if he was on 7 mill usd a year he'd be easy to shift, that's 21 mill usd over the next 3 seasons as a total outlay assuming we'd let him go for free if we wanted rid.

I wish he was. He's not.

From the paul tenorio athletic article.

Would guess it's not hidden off books, but seperate salary from his playing salary and maybe not needed to be included in the mlspa earnings?
    It's not hidden, though. He had an extra $7.5M last year. The contract length STILL has four years to go, so it was a six year deal, not a four year, and still has $30M remaining, not $21M. IT's literally two years longer than was quoted public, amounting to an extra $14M.

And what agents say publicly and reality are frequently divergent.

I don't think he would be easy to shift on $7M. No one in Europe, including Napoli, offered him more than $5M, and that was 18 months ago. No one wants to touch a 32 year old Insigne on $7M a year. He's not in demand at the kind of club -- like Juve -- that could afford to.

Anyway, agree to disagree dude as the verifiable information publicly available suggests nothing except that he has four years left, and $30M owed. MLS has a contracted duty of disclosure with the MLSPA, and can face drastic legal consequences for lying in salary outlays. The agents have no legal tether forcing honesty.

Perhaps they told their client based on what seems like massive contract balloon payments in years one and six that the extra money was coming from sponsors as part of selling him on the deal, for example. That sort of duplicity would not surprise me in the slightest; given that he has since fired them, perhaps it would also not surprise him.

Either way, we ain't selling that.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-20-2023 at 05:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's not hidden, though. He had an extra $7.5M last year. The contract length STILL has four years to go, so it was a six year deal, not a four year, and still has $30M remaining, not $21M. IT's literally two years longer than was quoted public, amounting to an extra $14M.

And what agents say publicly and reality are frequently divergent.

I don't think he would be easy to shift on $7M. No one in Europe, including Napoli, offered him more than $5M, and that was 18 months ago. No one wants to touch a 32 year old Insigne on $7M a year. He's not in demand at the kind of club -- like Juve -- that could afford to.

Anyway, agree to disagree dude as the verifiable information publicly available suggests nothing except that he has four years left, and $30M owed.

Either way, we ain't selling that.
    Ok, well based on salaries in Europe and the interest from teams offering far more than 5 mill usd (more than 7 mill too) I think insigne at 7 mill would be a pretty easily sell with no transfer fee.

Let's say another 4 years at 7 mill usd on a free, 28 mill usd for the whole time.

His transfermarkt value is currently 13.3 mill, so getting him for free basically covers about half the contract in terms of value.

If someone paid full price for him at that number, the salary to get to 28 mill usd gross would only be 3.7 mill gross usd/ year.

That works out to 1.7 mill euros net per year, feasible easily for half or more of serie a, or la liga.

Anyways, this is just why I think he's on a lot more. We haven't had one rumour from even a semi credible source despite him clearly being unhappy. And he told us he was.

But we can agree to disagree.

I hope they announce mailula soon (trying to change topic).