Page 14 of 138 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea we have had enough tryouts at #9.

The only thing we should be signing is a sure thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He was invisible until he scored.
    And after, mostly, although to be fair, as a second half substitute, it would've been hard for him to more visible.

I mean, he came on, he scored a goal in a game in which they had no business scoring a goal.

Ah well. Mostly looked interesting due to size and cost. He was stripped pretty easily by Cornelius in one sequence.

Still, when I read your comment this morning, it reminded me of Buddy Ryan trading Cris Carter. "All he does is catch touchdowns."
    Last edited by jloome; 03-29-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

Fair enough. It omight be said both Ayo and Diomande are trying out. Bob seems convinced he can get Dio going in time. If Ayo doesn’t look better for us I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Fair enough. It omight be said both Ayo and Diomande are trying out. Bob seems convinced he can get Dio going in time. If Ayo doesn’t look better for us I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s moved.
    His hard pass to Oso set up the latter's goal last night, but he had a good chance a few minutes later and literally whiffed on a one-timer again, missed the ball.

It's like he has the soccer version of golf "yips" or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT: Previous post re-positioned to another/CMNT thread, this post then re-purposed...

Hauke Wahl or Scott Kennedy?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 03-29-2023 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And after, mostly, although to be fair, as a second half substitute, it would've been hard for him to more visible.

I mean, he came on, he scored a goal in a game in which they had no business scoring a goal.

Ah well. Mostly looked interesting due to size and cost. He was stripped pretty easily by Cornelius in one sequence.

Still, when I read your comment this morning, it reminded me of Buddy Ryan trading Cris Carter. "All he does is catch touchdowns."
    Yeah, and where are those guys now? ;-)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne came on the field after the game. Curiously, he did not have red hair. Secondly, he walked over and was chatting it up with Laryea on the way off the pitch, you can see him in the post match stream by OneSoccer. Nice to him out there supporting his teammates.. Hopefully he comes back soon so we can start helping us on the field.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A reminder that discussions of CMNT belong not in the roster thread, but in the CMNT thread

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...cussion-Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

Exactly Bob brought in Jesus Jimenez last year paid him close to 800,000 where is he now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His hard pass to Oso set up the latter's goal last night, but he had a good chance a few minutes later and literally whiffed on a one-timer again, missed the ball.

It's like he has the soccer version of golf "yips" or something.
    Was Herdman using him differently than Bob does? I mean anything that might be useful for us? I don’t remember him often being in position to make hard passes forward. Sounds like a Jonathan David tendency.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Exactly Bob brought in Jesus Jimenez last year paid him close to 800,000 where is he now
    We he got 9 goals in his first season which isn't bad especially since he lost his spot down the stretch. As for now, waiting for work permit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    We he got 9 goals in his first season which isn't bad especially since he lost his spot down the stretch. As for now, waiting for work permit.
    Jimenez is a good player. There’s nothing to suggest he won’t do well with Dallas. He suits them better than us post Italians.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like he must have got that work permit as he has made two appearances but only for a total of 28 mins. However, he did get an assist this is just from checking his stats page on MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Looks like he must have got that work permit as he has made two appearances but only for a total of 28 mins. However, he did get an assist this is just from checking his stats page on MLS
    Guess missing pre-season could account for the limited minutes so far with needing to work up the fitness and adjust to the team's style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He played in their last game. Came in and flicked on a header off a set piece to setup the tying goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He played in their last game. Came in and flicked on a header off a set piece to setup the tying goal.
    I hope he does well. Seems like a great guy.

That said - we needed Servania more then him on this team and I've been quite happy with Servania.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently we would need to acquire an international roster spot to sign Alonso Coelo because, of course, we don’t have one or the allocation $ to trade for one. I was wondering when trading away those spots would hurt us. To do serious under 22 initiative players you’d think would also require more spots (not to mention a foreign striker).

https://www.homestandsports.com/post...ith-toronto-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on MLS rules and how those bonus international spots work. We have 6 spots plus the 3 bonus spots for players with one year on a Canadian team (it's not clear if the one year has to be the prior year or just any year).
    Vázquez could possibly be eligible for one of the bonus spots because he previously played for us, in which case we would already have an open spot for Coello. (and I think this might be the case since we already added Coello for the last game. Wouldn't he have to use an international spot even if he was up for one day)

Also Insigne and Bernadeschi joined in July. Can they transfer to the bonus international slots in July (which would open two regular intentional slots), or do those only activate at the beginning of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Apparently we would need to acquire an international roster spot to sign Alonso Coelo because, of course, we don’t have one or the allocation $ to trade for one. I was wondering when trading away those spots would hurt us. To do serious under 22 initiative players you’d think would also require more spots (not to mention a foreign striker).

https://www.homestandsports.com/post...ith-toronto-fc
    oh wow, this is a really good point. Clearly Bob and Bill have no intention of signing any more U22 players or a third DP.

We bet the farm on Insigne and Bernardeschi.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Did VV make a call? Wait a minute… What day is it today?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice the Galaxy signed a Serbian Superleague goalie today. That's the third player from the Balkans signed by an LA team in the last three months. Some serious MLS scouting going on there right now.

Not that it matters, as we've traded away all our international slots.

Man, we really are on a knife's edge this season, with apparently no leeway to make any more changes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Insigne signing may end up being the worst contract in TFC history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Sorry but the actual amount they pay him means nothing to me. He is a DP contract, and I can think of a few DP contracts worst than his already.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to say the worst since you joined the board in 2018, fine, but TFC in 2010 signed one of the worst DP contracts in MLS history. Why he was signed as striker when he had only 5 goals in the previous 5 years is a mystery. Check out number 4 on this list:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/01/12/mls-worst-designated-players-marquez-mista-reyna-denilson-mbolhi

Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-01-2023 at 03:33 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    Sorry but the actual amount they pay him means nothing to me. He is a DP contract, and I can think of a few DP contracts worst than his already.
    MLSE doesn't give TFC an unlimited budget. Money spent on his contract means less money available for other contracts. MLSE won't even invest in a heated outdoor pitch at the training grounds, so if you are a fan you should care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozys re-up is the worst we ever had. Stupid on so so so so many levels. Spending millions on a player obviously done with injuries only to buy out his contract within a year? Wtf are you doing?

At least mista was an unknown, there was potential for it to be worth while
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 04-01-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you want to say the worst since you joined the board in 2018, fine, but TFC in 2010 signed one of the worst DP contracts in MLS history. Why he was signed as striker when he had only 5 goals in the previous 5 years is a mystery. Check out number 4 on this list:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2017/01/12/mls-worst-designated-players-marquez-mista-reyna-denilson-mbolhi

I am thinking in terms of value received for the amount of money spent and how the size of the contract limits what other moves can be made, rather than the quality of the player. At $14.4MM per season with only 6 goals and 12 games played this has not worked out the way pretty much everyone was expecting. How receptive do you think the board would be if Manning requested to buy out Insigne's contract after the season? That would be the end of Manning's tenure with the club.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 04-01-2023 at 05:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Jozys re-up is the worst we ever had. Stupid on so so so so many levels. Spending millions on a player obviously done with injuries only to buy out his contract within a year? Wtf are you doing?

At least mista was an unknown, there was potential for it to be worth while
    Just looked up Altidore's salary in 2021 and he earned $3.6MM which is 25% of Insigne's annual salary. The way its looking so far TFC is going to get about the same number of games from Insigne at 4 times the cost.

Hope I am wrong here or this will be a disaster for the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE doesn't give TFC an unlimited budget. Money spent on his contract means less money available for other contracts. MLSE won't even invest in a heated outdoor pitch at the training grounds, so if you are a fan you should care.
    General rule, fans can care about whatever they want to dude, so just don't do the 'if you're a fan' thing, it's a bad look, no judgement.

MLSE spent that money on Insigne, not football player x, it's not like their second choice would got the same contract, or the insigne money came from a budget. The budget came into existence when insigne was the target. They won't invest in a heated pitch because they are bad at running a football club, not because money is held up elsewhere.