Page 22 of 138 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He sure as fuck wasn't doing much as our head of scouting.
    Ok, this i gotta call out

I look at our roster this season & see a by and large well scouted set of additons.

Rosted
    Servania
    Petretta

Guitteriez we don't know about

But..that's not a bad haul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I look at our roster this season & see a by and large well scouted set of additons.

Rosted
    Servania
    Petretta

Rostad and Petretta are both Bob signings that he knew before getting here. He even tried to sign Rostad once before, in Norway.

Servania? OK, but already a well-known commodity. He was flagged as the next Weston McKennie four or five years ago.

So... nah, those don't really prove anything.

I mean, maybe he was responsible for us getting Seba and Pozuelo, so maybe he did the business in the past. But we've been terrible at signings for five years now, and prior to Bez, for 10 years before that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rosted
    Servania
    Petretta

TBF I think it's important to define the line between outright scouting and BB connections (surely Rosted, for example).

EDIT: jloome quicker than me on the trigger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question “is Jack Dodd any good” cannot be answered in a vacuum. Who did he push to sign? Who did he say should be signed but wasn't, and how did those guys turn out? What are his methods? What is his network like?

I do think the timing of this is interesting , why not off season? I agree with Mr I on that. It could mean something.

I also think Bogert "breaking" this is interesting. Suggests MLS office involvement. Which is also maybe a sign of ....something.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-24-2023 at 01:34 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure Gallardo and Soteltdo were Dodd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting tweets from Manuel Veth. Not surprising, Insigne and Shaqiri keep coming up in conversations with people around the league as disappointments who are not worth the money.

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/status/1650572057711894529?s=20

Don't expect any massive incoming MLS moves today. I spoke to some people around the league about the window and in general there is disappointment with some of the big name signings made last year. Clubs feel that the likes of Shaqiri & Insigne are not worth the price tag.

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...739019777?s=20

He came up over and over again in my conversations. Him and Shaqiri. Another player mentioned often was Bale.
    Last edited by Soccerpro; 04-24-2023 at 02:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...711894529?s=20

Don't expect any massive incoming MLS moves today. I spoke to some people around the league about the window and in general there is disappointment with some of the big name signings made last year. Clubs feel that the likes of Shaqiri & Insigne are not worth the price tag.

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...739019777?s=20

He came up over and over again in my conversations. Him and Shaqiri. Another player mentioned often was Bale.
    i mean yeah so far he's had injuries but when he's been fit he's been very good.

need him to stay healthy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from getting injured in end of the last season at Napoli before coming here Insigne was a very durable player and the one thing I thought when we signed him is good at least he will not be on the treatment table more than the field (we know what that feels like). Too bad to see him struggle with a few things since being here. I also agree that when fit he will do fine for us just needs a run of games with no injuries. Really need a proper striker though for him to combine with from the left side to the middle.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Aside from getting injured in end of the last season at Napoli before coming here Insigne was a very durable player and the one thing I thought when we signed him is good at least he will not be on the treatment table more than the field (we know what that feels like). Too bad to see him struggle with a few things since being here. I also agree that when fit he will do fine for us just needs a run of games with no injuries. Really need a proper striker though for him to combine with from the left side to the middle.
    We know he's good as long as he is fit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    i mean yeah so far he's had injuries but when he's been fit he's been very good.

need him to stay healthy.
    Sure.

But the league is full of "very good" players making 1.5 million instead of 15 million.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The question “is Jack Dodd any good” cannot be answered in a vacuum. Who did he push to sign? Who did he say should be signed but wasn't, and how did those guys turn out? What are his methods? What is his network like?

I do think the timing of this is interesting , why not off season? I agree with Mr I on that. It could mean something.

I also think Bogert "breaking" this is interesting. Suggests MLS office involvement. Which is also maybe a sign of ....something.
    Well if we are going to go conspiracy here

Portland is in a feces load of trouble in terms of its ownership and its handling of sexual harrassment by its former leadership.

IF I was going to be getting Portland into somebody else's hands, I'd be wanting to get better staff in the back to make them look more presentable to a buyer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if we are going to go conspiracy here

Portland is in a feces load of trouble in terms of its ownership and its handling of sexual harrassment by its former leadership.

IF I was going to be getting Portland into somebody else's hands, I'd be wanting to get better staff in the back to make them look more presentable to a buyer.
    Thats an interesting theory. Ned Grabavoy is a total greenhorn. Dodd definitely looks and sounds the part. (There is a very convincing youtube out there on the greatness of Soteldo that Dodd did!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What time is the deadline ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think 12 central time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FFS, I wish people would lay off Insigne. Look at all the terrible and stressful shit he's gone through in the last year, and he's still been good when he's played.

I hate how someone online looking for attention starts whining, but then it somehow becomes the narrative even if it's bollocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't hate it - Lukas was getting good minutes but Hedges was about to come back and he really does deserve playing time. Sapong played roughly 6 games worth of minutes, but hasn't been looking like the gamebreaker he was in 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The summer of Sapong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like it. Isn't Sapong the type of guy we should be signing rather than trading for?

I hate hate hate trading depth CBs that might still be useful 5 years from now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did i read it right, we gave out GAM as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That move just screams that there isn't going to be a DP #9 signed this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always with MLS it's hard to know what to make of this, depends on how much gam and what our salary cap situation was before and after. Seems pretty meah overall, he'll probably help up front a bit but we lose more depth elsewhere and probably have less ability to recruit that depth in the summer. Not sure how to feel about it.

We do, in general, continue to trade cheap youngish depth pieces though and I continue to think that is not how you build an MLS roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    That move just screams that there isn't going to be a DP #9 signed this summer.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're fucked.

Need a new director of football, manager, and preferably new owners.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Did i read it right, we gave out GAM as well.
    Yes it was McNaughton plus 200k GAM (125k in 2024 guaranteed and 75k in 2025 based on performance)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/toron...as-macnaughton
    Last edited by 613reppingTFC; 04-25-2023 at 08:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trading, good, young depth CB is about dumbest thing you can do in this league.

For what? A 34 year old washed up CF? We've already got one.
    Last edited by Richard; 04-25-2023 at 08:49 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news is he is 34 and hasn't had a whole lot of injuries to deal with. Total of 43 days since June 2016.
    He has been behind others at Nashville but his rate of goals last year was 5 for the year, one every 500 minutes.
    In 2021 he had 12 goals, one every 186 minutes.
    Hopefully with the service of the Italians he will improve here with a run of games.

However as Ensco said I don't want this to bite us now with lack of CB depth and the fact that McNaughton (although Saturday was a Howler for him) has usually been fairly decent for a backup option.
    That also leaves us with how many forwards now...Akinola, Diomande, Peruzza, Kerr, Mbongue (probably going to TFCII now) and now Sapong. Guessing we will likely be dumping someone in the summer..to pick up a DP midfielder. Areathrasher got it right..unless one of those 6 forwards don't work, it means we likely aren't signing a forward in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This move reeks of desperation. Does this team have no oversight mechanism in place? Ridiculous move.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-25-2023 at 08:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Trading, good, young depth CB is about dumbest thing you can do in this league.

For what? A 34 year old washed up CF? We've already got one.
    MacNaughton wasn't young. He was 28 and this other move for Aime Mabika makes us younger and taller at CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    MacNaughton wasn't young. He was 28 and this other move for Aime Mabika makes us younger and taller at CB.

28 is young for an MLS CB, they tend to develop into early 30's.