Page 19 of 138 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they better be lining up a striker for the summer.

the way the defence has been performing (and the mid to a certain extent) it would be a huge missed opportunity if they are not.

this team will not win anything with akinola or kerr as starting strikers, even when insigne comes back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    they better be lining up a striker for the summer.

the way the defence has been performing (and the mid to a certain extent) it would be a huge missed opportunity if they are not.

this team will not win anything with akinola or kerr as starting strikers, even when insigne comes back.
    Oh they will definitely get one for sure. 100%.

The question is whether it will be a good one that fits what we're doing or somebody like Dwyer who once was alright but still has a semi-recognizable name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest issue with striker replacement is we have no international slots remaining*. So we either have to find a domestic striker, acquire an International slot (and I feel like we have minimal G/TAM left with all the TAM players we have), or trade a current international to open a slot.

*Unless Coello can use one of the bonus slots since he was in MLS Next Pro last year. Maybe (hopefully) the one year on an MLS team includes MLS Next Pro.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The biggest issue with striker replacement is we have no international slots remaining*. So we either have to find a domestic striker, acquire an International slot (and I feel like we have minimal G/TAM left with all the TAM players we have), or trade a current international to open a slot.

*Unless Coello can use one of the bonus slots since he was in MLS Next Pro last year. Maybe (hopefully) the one year on an MLS team includes MLS Next Pro.
    I thought we simply weren't taking advantage of our Canada-specific INT'L slots because nobody we've brought in was able to take advantage (even if VV could, I think we were only using 1 of 3)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt they bring in anyone this window.i think bernie and the other dp i forgot his name will be non imports by july,they could always buy a spot for 150k -200k or a 1st rd pick and some cash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I thought we simply weren't taking advantage of our Canada-specific INT'L slots because nobody we've brought in was able to take advantage (even if VV could, I think we were only using 1 of 3)
    It's exactly that. VV qualifies for one, but none of the other do. So Vazquez uses 1 of the 3, then the other 6 of 6 are full (LI, Bernie, Petretta, Dioamande, Rosted, Coello). If Coello qualifies for the bonus slot due to MLSNP, then we'd have an open regular spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i doubt they bring in anyone this window.i think bernie and the other dp i forgot his name will be non imports by july,they could always buy a spot for 150k -200k or a 1st rd pick and some cash
    Insigne and Bernadeschi won't qualify for the extra international spot until next season. Those players have to qualify for them before the beginning of the season

Per MLS rules:

• In addition to the International Roster Slots, each Canadian Club is permitted to designate up to three (3) International Players who have been under contract with MLS and registered with one or more Canadian clubs for at least one year who will not count toward the club’s International Roster Slots. In order to be eligible, the International Player must have met the contract and registration requirement by the Roster Compliance date (Feb. 24, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET).
    • https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2023-...nd-regulations

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per MLS rules:

• In addition to the International Roster Slots, each Canadian Club is permitted to designate up to three (3) International Players who have been under contract with MLS and registered with one or more Canadian clubs for at least one year who will not count toward the club’s International Roster Slots. In order to be eligible, the International Player must have met the contract and registration requirement by the Roster Compliance date (Feb. 24, 2023 at 8 p.m. ET).
    **** All MLS rules subject to change without notice in the event of Messi signing with Miami and him wanting all his old Barca pals to join him there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne and Bernadeschi won't qualify for the extra international spot until next season. Those players have to qualify for them before the beginning of the season

Per MLS rules:

thx for the info.we also have to see if richie leaves in june,most likely they would need a import replacement,or go with JMR or franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Quasi similar hybrid positioning/positions as James Rodriguez? But not the same cachet? Given CFMTL is a raging dumpster fire, maybe TFC piles on? Try’s to snake any deal involving this footballer?

Suggested Khazri when Seba left, I still like him but not a DP

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Sources in Saudi Arabia have told ESPN of plans for up to 50 players from Europe's big five leagues and Portugal's top flight to move to the SPL this summer. The plan, backed by Saudi Arabia's ministry of sport, is for out-of-contract players in those leagues to be targeted by SPL clubs.”

https://www.espn.com/soccer/saudi-pr...rld-soccer-map

Not great news for our DP search if we don't have the same budget, and all the out of contract players are getting poached by the Saudi league.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    “Sources in Saudi Arabia have told ESPN of plans for up to 50 players from Europe's big five leagues and Portugal's top flight to move to the SPL this summer. The plan, backed by Saudi Arabia's ministry of sport, is for out-of-contract players in those leagues to be targeted by SPL clubs.”

Not great news for our DP search if we don't have the same budget, and all the out of contract players are getting poached by the Saudi league.
    There's still a very large lifestyle and also on field difference. They're going to be MLS 2.0 though. They want eyes on their league so they'll be targeting more Ronaldos and Messis.

I'd rather go for some younger, under the radar guys anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post

Or good news, if you believe our DP strategy is outdated, unsustainable and flawed. Insigne is really going to test this one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say, I think people make a little too much of the hardships of living in Saudi. Its a negative, but lots of people there go for five years and have decent lives living in fancy houses in the expat compounds there, and flying to Dubai for the weekend.

It is not for everyone, but it isn’t slave ship duty.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-14-2023 at 03:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I gotta say, I think people make a little too much of the hardships of living in Saudi. Its a negative, but lots of people there go for five years and have decent lives living in fancy houses in the expat compounds there, and flying to Dubai for the weekend.

It's usually harder for Western women than for men because of the restrictions there for women are worse than almost every other Arab state. I have relatives who lived there and heard the stories.

You might be OK as a single player playing for a Saudi club, but if you're a married man and your wife talks every day that if you stay with your club she's going on her own with the kids to live in Italy, it will definitely affect whether you want to stay with your Saudi club.

There's a lot of young single men who go to Saudi Arabia for a few years to make a lot of bucks as an engineer or whatever, but then leave before they marry and have a family.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they're in oil and gas, they're also frequently on three in, one out deals. They get an entire month away every three, making it easier to deal with. This is standard in the developing world and nations that provide lifestyle and cultural challenges.

(I imagine Messi wouldn't really even live there, just have a hotel suite and jet home privately on weekends. It's not like he's coming all the way to North America).

At one point, in the worst countries, the guys with the tougest jobs -- usually platform drillers -- were on three and three, three months on, three months off, paid throughout, usually at about triple the rate in their home country.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living in Saudi is hard and 75% of people, and 90% of families, wouldn't do it.

We underestimate the degree to which coming to Toronto is hard for an "Insigne" and overestimate the degree to which going to Saudi is hard for an "Insigne".

I think we don't see the soccer world the way international players see it. They are mercenaries with limited years of earning power. You would be too.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A duo/pair in MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A duo/pair in MLS?
    I feel like these types of profile/age/stage players always wind up playing in Istanbul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Fair... and probably.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We underestimate the degree to which coming to Toronto is hard for an "Insigne"
    Not just Canadians, but most people overseas underestimate how hard it is to come to Canada. Defoe's regret is not at all unusual.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be noted that one of the reasons we're struggling so far this year is that Oso is having a shocking year so far.

It really probably hasn't helped to try him wide, but the reality is that he's holding onto the ball too long, attempting too many difficult dribbles, getting stripped regularly. His stats are quite poor across the board and substantially worse defensively than both Michael Bradley and Mark-Anthony Kaye.

He is being fouled a LOT for a central midfielder, nearly three times per game. He's being dispossessed 2.1 times per game, easily the highest on the team.

His one upside so far is that he's offering one key pass per game, which is second only to Bernadeschi.

Fede, meanwhile, is seeing continually high rates of unsuccessful touches and dispossessions, but lower than Osorio relative to the huge number of offensive runs he makes. Offensively in every other stat, he's basically carrying us.

After three appearances, JMR is statistically our most consistent player. I have to say, the kid looked fucking great again. That first cross he put in was nasty, positionally speaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A duo/pair in MLS?

James in a strange one, all the ability in the world but seems to lack the application. His stats at Real actually were quite good, his issue were most of his goals/assists came as an impact sub. He then had a loan spell at Bayern with option to buy. That started of poorly but got better, Bayern never picked up option to buy. He then went to Everton, not great, the odd flash of class here and there, but gone at the end of the season. Al Rayyan and Olympiacos both terminated his contract. Wherever he ends up, he'll frustrate more than he'll deliver. He'll frustrate because he has the ability but more often than not it doesn't show up. Reminds me a bit of Ozil in the latter part of his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    James in a strange one, all the ability in the world but seems to lack the application. His stats at Real actually were quite good, his issue were most of his goals/assists came as an impact sub. He then had a loan spell at Bayern with option to buy. That started of poorly but got better, Bayern never picked up option to buy. He then went to Everton, not great, the odd flash of class here and there, but gone at the end of the season. Al Rayyan and Olympiacos both terminated his contract. Wherever he ends up, he'll frustrate more than he'll deliver. He'll frustrate because he has the ability but more often than not it doesn't show up. Reminds me a bit of Ozil in the latter part of his career.
    Yeah, no thanks to him...doesnt work hard. Lots of talent but just going through the motions out there.....wish it turned out better for him at Madrid, but he wasn't good enough despite some great moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1647787636420149249?s=20

Interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/1647787636420149249?s=20

Interesting
    Link not working? Do you mean this? If so… then yes, agree, interesting!

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/s...87636420149249

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link not working? Do you mean this? If so… then yes, agree, interesting!

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/s...87636420149249
    Sorry my bad yep that's what I ment .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm concerned again about our chances of holding onto Richie. He's playing phenomenally (fantastic goal on Saturday) and despite looking like a solid team for most of this year, Forest still finds themselves on the verge of relegation. I still think all bets are off if they drop. They'll lose a lot of players, and will for sure be taking another look at the less expensive players they still have. Richie has been one of the top players in all MLS imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I'm concerned again about our chances of holding onto Richie. He's playing phenomenally (fantastic goal on Saturday) and despite looking like a solid team for most of this year, Forest still finds themselves on the verge of relegation. I still think all bets are off if they drop. They'll lose a lot of players, and will for sure be taking another look at the less expensive players they still have. Richie has been one of the top players in all MLS imo.
    While I agree I suspect that Cooper would rather keep Neco Williams in that spot and I don't think Richie would go back willingly to sit on the bench again. I can see they taking the cash payout.

In that case TFC would likely lose in a bidding war as we likely have zero wiggle room with our need for a proper striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We may have to ask ourselves with a potential transfer fee and our salary cap as it likely is, is Richie a DP level player? I know this won't be popular, but I don't think so, there's better uses of that slot on either a high impact striker/mid fielder or going down the u22 route

However, that would be a *very* on brand DP signing for Manning. Low scouting effort, short term provides big fan service and everyone will celebrate it, long term is not a discussion for today. So while I don't think we should use a DP slot on him, I think there's a chance we will if given the chance once Bob Bradley doesn't overrule it (And that'll be interesting to see). And there's worse DPs in the league for sure, so at least it'd be a known quantity even if I don't fully buy in