Page 13 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeh, it’s funny - better defensively than anything Richie would be but couldn't link up with Bernadeschi at all and left him out on an island.
    Not many 18 yr old right backs are going to be defensively solid and also get forward like Richie. Agreed we need Richie. Esp. without a reliable striker it’s all going to come from the wings.

I wonder though if Petretta can’t go this week if we see Layrea on the left and JMR on the right?

(Nice assist from Richie to Jonathan David the other night….)
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-27-2023 at 05:04 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post

(Nice assist from Richie to Jonathan David the other night….)
    That was just gorgeous.

Been waiting for the right moment to propose David as the TFC striker solution…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That was just gorgeous.

Been waiting for the right moment to propose David as the TFC striker solution…
    In about 10 years?

Leeds were apparently considering a bid at one point but he's valued at north of $50M.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Jesus H, according to Whoscored, Jakheel won TWELVE tackles in that game. That's insane.
    Number of tackles is a very flawed statistic, former great defender Paola Maldini always had a low number per game because he was mostly in the right position, rarely lost the man he was covering, Maldini rarely had to slide tackle .

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Number of tackles is a very flawed statistic, former great defender Paola Maldini always had a low number per game because he was mostly in the right position, rarely lost the man he was covering, Maldini rarely had to slide tackle .
    Completed pass percentage is also a useless statistic, was the player under pressure when he was making the pass or are the midfielders just passing back and forth in the middle of the park as the sets up in there half waiting for an offensive movement

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In about 10 years?

Leeds were apparently considering a bid at one point but he's valued at north of $50M.
    Well, he'd maybe be cheaper than Lorenzo, all in…

(not actually proposing this, just kidding around)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched that San Jose game late last night (another reason I love the MLS Season pass - I get to watch whenever convenient for me). JMR was a lot of fun to watch. I have a pretty short memory so I cant' remember exactly how he looked in his first few games last year but I'm pretty confident this was his best overall game. Loved how confident he was, how he defended and how joined the rush on the inside and out.

I also really liked Coella(?). Stepped in admirable and played that disrupter type of role that Kaye takes up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Watched that San Jose game late last night (another reason I love the MLS Season pass - I get to watch whenever convenient for me). JMR was a lot of fun to watch. I have a pretty short memory so I cant' remember exactly how he looked in his first few games last year but I'm pretty confident this was his best overall game. Loved how confident he was, how he defended and how joined the rush on the inside and out.

I also really liked Coella(?). Stepped in admirable and played that disrupter type of role that Kaye takes up.
    Last year we were constantly complaining about JMR because he was always so timid; he'd maybe make a nice defensive play to get the ball, dribble up the flank to midfield and then ... pass it back. EVERY SINGLE TIME. He would do it even if nobody was around him. It's like the opposing full back wouldn't even have to defend him. It was so frustrating.

The game in San Jose, however, was night and day. Strong on the ball. Read plays well and made a few interceptions. Passed it up crisply. Sure, he didn't get forward much, but that was about it. Now he looked like a more proper, maturing player. Last year it was obvious he was still a kid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    The game in San Jose, however, was night and day. Strong on the ball. Read plays well and made a few interceptions. Passed it up crisply. Sure, he didn't get forward much, but that was about it. Now he looked like a more proper, maturing player. Last year it was obvious he was still a kid.
    Hard to believe he is 18. It feels like he's been around forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus H, according to Whoscored, Jakheel won TWELVE tackles in that game. That's insane.
    I wonder why MLS is only attributing 6 tackles to JMR? It doesn’t seem like successful tackles would be hard to define.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I wonder why MLS is only attributing 6 tackles to JMR? It doesn’t seem like successful tackles would be hard to define.
    I wonder if Whoscored has gotten it wrong. I've never seen a player in MLS have 12 tackles in a game before. MLS has him at 6 tackles and 1 block, whoscored has 12 tackles and two blocks. It's like they doubled up his totals somehow accidentally. Makes more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Whoscored has gotten it wrong. I've never seen a player in MLS have 12 tackles in a game before. MLS has him at 6 tackles and 1 block, whoscored has 12 tackles and two blocks. It's like they doubled up his totals somehow accidentally. Makes more sense.
    I wouldn’t be surprised, 6 tackles is impressive, 12 is insane.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gonna probably be way too early to say this but I am going to give Bob his dues - the kids we kept (in the defensive/midfield half) can play in the system competently without looking out of place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    gonna probably be way too early to say this but I am going to give Bob his dues - the kids we kept (in the defensive/midfield half) can play in the system competently without looking out of place.
    I'd say until the Miami game I thought maybe he'd lost the dressing room/never quite controlled it.

Really, they looked so disjointed, almost disinterested. Between the misery of last season and the start of this one -- with the California camp mostly being washed out -- I'd lost any faith.

But in the last three weeks -- I mean, realistically it started with shifting to a defensive posture for Atlanta -- it has seemed more comprehensible.

Whatever he's teaching them in terms of moving into space and supporting each other, switching things in terms of shape hasn't drastically hurt them and they've gotten better week after week.

I'm still not sure we have the depth for any kind of challenge, and I wonder how we'll adjust to the best teams having equally skilled-but-faster midfielders will play out.

But it's hard to look at the team after this week's game and the team that played the first two weeks of the season and see it as the same group. Night and day.

The defense, in particular, has massively benefited from both center halves working out. Rostad is an excellent aggressive tackler, Hedges is the solid stay-at-home guy.

EDIT: Still need a striker, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say until the Miami game I thought maybe he'd lost the dressing room/never quite controlled it.

Really, they looked so disjointed, almost disinterested. Between the misery of last season and the start of this one -- with the California camp mostly being washed out -- I'd lost any faith.

But in the last three weeks -- I mean, realistically it started with shifting to a defensive posture for Atlanta -- it has seemed more comprehensible.

Whatever he's teaching them in terms of moving into space and supporting each other, switching things in terms of shape hasn't drastically hurt them and they've gotten better week after week.

I'm still not sure we have the depth for any kind of challenge, and I wonder how we'll adjust to the best teams having equally skilled-but-faster midfielders will play out.

But it's hard to look at the team after this week's game and the team that played the first two weeks of the season and see it as the same group. Night and day.

The defense, in particular, has massively benefited from both center halves working out. Rostad is an excellent aggressive tackler, Hedges is the solid stay-at-home guy.

for sure on the striker, but we've been talking about an alternate formation for a while and inverting Osorio to be a pseudo-striker from his almost AM style position is a good idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree but I have to give Kerr a little credit. He's a young guy playing in a new position and is obviously inconsistent but so far he's the best of what we have and should be first off the bench if this keeps up and we get a new striker in July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If JMR can play right back at a decent level consistently and we get Insigne back I wouldn't be against moving Richie up on the wing and Bernie into the middle. The big Italian seems to have decided he likes scoring goals and moving him closer to make it easier to link up with Insigne couldn't be a bad thing ... worth a punt anyway ...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    If JMR can play right back at a decent level consistently and we get Insigne back I wouldn't be against moving Richie up on the wing and Bernie into the middle. The big Italian seems to have decided he likes scoring goals and moving him closer to make it easier to link up with Insigne couldn't be a bad thing ... worth a punt anyway ...
    Agree to this 100 percent, JMR starts Richie moves up beside Bernie, but my dilemma is who sits ? Can only play two of Servania Bradley or MAK, Servania looks the much better then the other two right now. Do we sit MAK? This was Bob’s big signing last year , think it cost us a million in GAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Agree to this 100 percent, JMR starts Richie moves up beside Bernie, but my dilemma is who sits ? Can only play two of Servania Bradley or MAK, Servania looks the much better then the other two right now. Do we sit MAK? This was Bob’s big signing last year , think it cost us a million in GAM
    We want depth. That's why Bob gets paid the big bucks. He'll sink or swim with his decisions and you can't have depth without sitting what you consider decent players. The only way to get better is to put a better lineup on the field if the lineup you've been using isn't getting enough wins. I say rotate the four of them and the best three will float to the top eventually. Still need to find out if Bob's got the stones to sit his son yet. Not saying he should sit because he's done ok so far in comparison to his peers in the midfield but Bob talks a good game ... can he pull the trigger and not get a slap upside the head from the boy's mum ... lol
    Last edited by buddies; 03-28-2023 at 04:09 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We want depth. That's why Bob gets paid the big bucks. He'll sink or swim with his decisions and you can't have depth without sitting what you consider decent players. The only way to get better is to put a better lineup on the field if the lineup you've been using isn't getting enough wins. I say rotate the four of them and the best three will float to the top eventually. Still need to find out if Bob's got the stones to sit his son yet. Not saying he should sit because he's done ok so far in comparison to his peers in the midfield but Bob talks a good game ... can he pull the trigger and not get a slap upside the head from the boy's mum ... lol
    LOL I figure Servania and MAK step up, and JMR will take a giant stride this year, still I doubt very much that Bob sits Michael down , you are so very right when you say Bob talks a good game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is definitely a look we should try. If it’s works well, even if Richie isn’t staying it might help with understanding what we need to add in the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just go get Larin as our striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Just go get Larin as our striker.
    That would be something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That would be something.
    Apparently there's a clause in the loan deal with Valladolid where Brugge have to accept a bid if he starts a certain number of games, I think 10. Which he will. If he keeps scoring they'll buy him, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of big, strong and inexpensive strikers, Honduras' goalscorer tonight, Jorge Benguchje, looks interesting.

He's a regular scorer in their domestic league and in CONCACAF, good in the air, 26 so still in his prime, currently rated at about 250K. 45 goals in 117 games for CD Olimpia.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jorge-b...spieler/454321

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eep, Ayo playing well for Canada but gets a point-blank chance and muffs it again. That guy needs a confidence goal.

Set up Oso nicely, though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio had a good game for Canada. Couple with his last 3 games for TFC, he's in good form
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Osorio had a good game for Canada. Couple with his last 3 games for TFC, he's in good form
    Man of the match, I think. Setup one, scored one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of big, strong and inexpensive strikers, Honduras' goalscorer tonight, Jorge Benguchje, looks interesting.

He's a regular scorer in their domestic league and in CONCACAF, good in the air, 26 so still in his prime, currently rated at about 250K. 45 goals in 117 games for CD Olimpia.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/jorge-b...spieler/454321
    He was invisible until he scored. Cornelius and Kennedy 100% handled him. Although I would say the same for every Honduras player out there, we were running circles around them.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He was invisible until he scored. Cornelius and Kennedy 100% handled him. Although I would say the same for every Honduras player out there, we were running circles around them.
    Yea this player at TFC is a bad shout, we should set our sights on better, he did nothing all night besides the header of the corner and as someone above noted was a failure when loaned out to a better league. Hard Hard pass for me