Page 110 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I don't think there's any chance the club does this, Manning would be too afraid of the optics. It's not his style. I think if Michael doesn't retire and we can't trade him (And I don't see how we could) then assume he's here next season. The big question is if he's still captain or not
    Respectively, what do you mean by optics? Like, explaining to the board why they are spending even more money on payouts?

If it’s purely from a fan or player perspective, moving on from MB is the simple and cleanest thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Respectively, what do you mean by optics? Like, explaining to the board why they are spending even more money on payouts?

If it’s purely from a fan or player perspective, moving on from MB is the simple and cleanest thing to do.
    Manning is significantly motivated by appeasing fans in the short run. It permeates every decision, and every mistake, he's made. It's why he re-upped Jozy twice (The first was stupid, the second time should be grounds for being locked up - what in the actual fuck was the thinking there!? And we bought him out months later!?). It likely explains why he re-signed Vasquez and then a leak came out that he was on the league minimum (He wasn't), why we keep extending Bradley, why he toyed with bringing back Seba. It's why he tried to re-sign Laryea even though it would have been a terrible move in the context of our cap and roster situation. It's why he makes statements that sound great in the short term but he has no chance of following up on like we'll sort out Laryea in the next 72 hours, or we'll have a new manager in 4 weeks. He's consistently demonstrated short term thinking, eg what will look good to fans now in the short term even if it's bad in the long term

Along those lines, canning Bradley, who remains very popular with the TFC faithful, would be the opposite. It'd be a good move for the long term health of the club, but would upset fans in the short term. In short, I don't think he's ruthless enough to do that, it goes against the MO that seems to be behind most of his moves

I could be off. There's bags and bags of speculation and my own assumptions in there, but I don't see it. It'd be the correct, but ruthless, thing to do and it'd cause huge backlash from most fans in the short term (Though they'll be won over by results in the long term). That is not the kind of thing he does, imo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stefan Frei....free agent.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning is significantly motivated by appeasing fans in the short run. It permeates every decision, and every mistake, he's made. It's why he re-upped Jozy twice (The first was stupid, the second time should be grounds for being locked up - what in the actual fuck was the thinking there!? And we bought him out months later!?). It likely explains why he re-signed Vasquez and then a leak came out that he was on the league minimum (He wasn't), why we keep extending Bradley, why he toyed with bringing back Seba. It's why he tried to re-sign Laryea even though it would have been a terrible move in the context of our cap and roster situation. It's why he makes statements that sound great in the short term but he has no chance of following up on like we'll sort out Laryea in the next 72 hours, or we'll have a new manager in 4 weeks. He's consistently demonstrated short term thinking, eg what will look good to fans now in the short term even if it's bad in the long term

Along those lines, canning Bradley, who remains very popular with the TFC faithful, would be the opposite. It'd be a good move for the long term health of the club, but would upset fans in the short term. In short, I don't think he's ruthless enough to do that, it goes against the MO that seems to be behind most of his moves

I could be off. There's bags and bags of speculation and my own assumptions in there, but I don't see it. It'd be the correct, but ruthless, thing to do and it'd cause huge backlash from most fans in the short term (Though they'll be won over by results in the long term). That is not the kind of thing he does, imo.
    passing on laryea was the first time i've seen the club make a decision with the long term future of the squad in mind in a long time.

i was so sure they were gonna sign him to a long term DP contract that we'd regret within a month.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 08-09-2023 at 04:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    passing on laryea was the first time i've seen the club make a decision with the long term future of the squad in mind in a long time. i was so sure they were gonna sign him to a long term DP contract that we'd regret within a month.
    My spidey sense is tingling, suggesting you may want to check the first part of that sentiment; to be revisited at the start of next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    My spidey sense is tingling, suggesting you may want to check the first part of that sentiment; to be revisited at the start of next season.
    it would be a semi sensible move if you can have 4 dps. even then it's questionable though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

passing on laryea was the first time i've seen the club make a decision with the long term future of the squad in mind in a long time.

i was so sure they were gonna sign him to a long term DP contract that we'd regret within a month.
    Agreed. but Jloomes source said we would be back in the conversation in Jan, right? Which shows it may be less a lesson learned and more he simply wasn't able to get together enough to get the transfer done. We'll see. It did give me a little bit of hope though that's for sure

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. but Jloomes source said we would be back in the conversation in Jan, right? Which shows it may be less a lesson learned and more he simply wasn't able to get together enough to get the transfer done. We'll see. It did give me a little bit of hope though that's for sure
    yeah he has good sources too.

if we push the boat out to give 29 year old richie laryea a long term DP contract we deserve the inevitable mediocre/ bad seasons that follow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, MSingh may have said it as well, so, unless jloome’s and Singh’s sources happen to be one in the same, it would be an interesting co-corroboration.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC, MSingh may have said it as well, so, unless jloome’s and Singh’s sources happen to be one and the same, it would be an interesting co-corroboration.
    yes, we could be back in.

but also, a 29 year old laryea with only 18 months left on his contract is not worth that much. maybe can fit transfer fee and wage increase under the cap, at that point.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 08-09-2023 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, we could be back in.

but also, a 29 year old laryea with only 18 months left on his contract is not worth that much. maybe can fit transfer fee and wage increase under the cap, at that point.
    That's definitely the hope. Vancouver has to make him a DP if they sign him next year because of the inherent value of the transfer. It's not because they're offering him DP money. So if the fee isn't high, and the wage isn't DP....

If they don't exercise the transfer option, as the fee is too high -- they could easily be agreeing to it to get the loan done this year with no intention of actually paying that -- then Forest wont' be left with much option but to take less. The question then becomes whether they agree that with TFC or Vancouver, who offers more, whether they're irritated by Vancouver jerking them around on a permanent transfer etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this situation is more complicated than just saying bye bye Mikey. Michael Bradley regardless of who the coach was decided to tear up his contract and give us two years of service for the price of one. It freed up cap space when we were tight. He didn't have to do it. There's no way he was going to say "rather than giving me $1.6M this year, why don't you just give me $600K this year and an option for the rest next year". Money might not be what drives him anymore but he isn't an idiot. His money next year is definitely guaranteed whether formally written into his contract or verbally with a handshake. If we screw him over, other agents will know about it and it definitely doesn't make us look good to screw the most loyal player in club history. Even if he sits on the bench 90% of the time, it'll be up to him if he wants to come back. Nobody here actually knows if he's pissed at the team for firing his dad or if he just doesn't like it but understands "it's business". If he wants to come back and play one more year I think it'll 100% be his decision. I think the club will honour whatever deal they made with him.
    Last edited by buddies; 08-09-2023 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, FWIW, some account suggests Caden Clark is currently in Minniapolis; training at a local field? It also suggests the footballer was supposed to go to Colorado but the deal fell through at the last minute because RB Leipzig did not file the transfer papers in time. Does this mean the TFC indications cited were wrong? Maybe TFC used as a feint or decoy by the player/agent? Or, perhaps opposite, the situation was similar to Liam Fraser not wanting to end up at MUFC and preferring FC Ddallas? Seems like he will play in the MLS again, sooner rather than later, if his contract is mutually terminated. Does he end up at TFC or elsewhere? Does anyone know if FROR would apply in such a case and if so which club may hold his?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-10-2023 at 05:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we not hearing of any more frees coming in ? There are so many still out there looking for work.

Also where is Cassius? I take it his visa is taking longer then expected? Our media department is slacking hardcore. Now would be the time for some photo ops of training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    Why are we not hearing of any more frees coming in ? There are so many still out there looking for work.
    We shouldn't have any frees coming in and we better not. Nothing more until a new manager is in place or else Hernandez is as lost as GM as everyone before him in recent times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post

Also where is Cassius? I take it his visa is taking longer then expected? Our media department is slacking hardcore. Now would be the time for some photo ops of training
    Juding from his instagram he was still in SA as of a few days ago. Suspect the visa thought may be correct.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How that deal for the Slovene GK coming along?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, FWIW, some account suggests Caden Clark is currently in Minniapolis; training at a local field? It also suggests the footballer was supposed to go to Colorado but the deal fell through at the last minute because RB Leipzig did not file the transfer papers in time. Does this mean the TFC indications cited were wrong? Maybe TFC used as a feint or decoy by the player/agent? Or, perhaps opposite, the situation was similar to Liam Fraser not wanting to end up at MUFC and preferring FC Ddallas? Seems like he will play in the MLS again, sooner rather than later, if his contract is mutually terminated. Does he end up at TFC or elsewhere? Does anyone know if FROR would apply in such a case and if so which club may hold his?

'
    I've been told directly by the front office that they did not bid for him. His agent may have kicked several MLS tires, but TFC is not trying to sign Caden Clark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah he has good sources too.

if we push the boat out to give 29 year old richie laryea a long term DP contract we deserve the inevitable mediocre/ bad seasons that follow.
    I don't think that's their intention. They're just hoping that if he's going to be a max TAM player, he picks Toronto instead of Vancouver. I don't think either club plans to offer him a DP deal.

He's just forced to be one by the value of the transfer. But that only occurs if Vancouver picks up a pre-agreed fee, and I suspect from what I'm hearing they don't intend to do that. They're going to offer him TAM, same as us.

Of course, if he's happy there and winning, I can't see him coming back to this shitshow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How that deal for the Slovene GK coming along?
    I'm not even sure the initial rumor was true, but the same sources later reported the player wants to stay in Europe and nixed the deal. He's 23, and doesn't see a future in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woobens Pacius from CPL apparently fetching MLS interest. No teams mentioned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Woobens Pacius from CPL apparently fetching MLS interest. No teams mentioned.
    Really? Dude is a 1-in-3 striker but in the CPL. You'd think if he was MLS level he'd be scoring 15-20 a year in that league.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the problems with the player rumours from the CPL is almost all the journalism, if we can call it that, is done in house.

I had to stop following Kristian Jacks after the WC because the CPL talk had no balance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One of the problems with the player rumours from the CPL is almost all the journalism, if we can call it that, is done in house.

I had to stop following Kristian Jacks after the WC because the CPL talk had no balance.
    It is all propaganda. Sure, there are a few players in the CPL who could come to MLS and be fringe starters. The way the OneSoccer crew talk about the league and it's players though, you'd swear they were closer to playing in La Liga than MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    It is all propaganda. Sure, there are a few players in the CPL who could come to MLS and be fringe starters. The way the OneSoccer crew talk about the league and it's players though, you'd swear they were closer to playing in La Liga than MLS.
    waterman so far the only player to make the leap to mls and be a success, yes?

macnaughton borderline, decent 4/5th choice mls cb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

waterman so far the only player to make the leap to mls and be a success, yes?

macnaughton borderline, decent 4/5th choice mls cb.
    Mo Farsi at Columbus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Mo Farsi at Columbus.
    fair. he made a smart transition though, CPL -> MLS Next Pro -> MLS

but yeah he's been good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sirois and Pantemis both got loan stints in CPL that led to rehular playing time in MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Gutierrez, Vasquez, Diomande, Petretta, Coello, Blessing, Owusu and Mailula are all international slots. I assume we'll have at least two and possibly three of those free for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair. he made a smart transition though, CPL -> MLS Next Pro -> MLS

but yeah he's been good.
    That is probably the best pathway. An MLS team can offer a far superior MLS Next contract, see how they do there and move them onto the MLS team. Seems like Columbus is the first one to realize this with Farsi and JRR. TFC just gifted roster spots to MacNaughton and Chung.