Page 96 of 138 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    We are allowed to transfer people out and sign free agents. Only thing is no trades or transfers in
    Which I believe is how Richie will be able to sign with tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I suspect Osorio's hit on management was probably about the roster and the fact that we have no real goal scorer and a pair of petulant visitors who occasionally show up as our forward line.

It really hit home against Atlas how past it Sapong is. He'd been on for just a few minutes and someone clipped a cross -- might have been JMR -- from the left side. And he was just so late to it that he was snapping his head to redirect after the ball was already past. "A step late there from Sapong," Dan Gargan said somewhat charitably on the play-by-play.

I think the biggest mistake in all of this wasn't hiring Bob as coach. He got us a point a game, which, despite being shit, is better than Terry's approached with this group.

The mistake was giving him the director of football gig. I don't think players like him as a coach either -- not here, not in LA -- but they agree his methodology is rigorous and, when stuck to, gets results.

But he's a 62-year-old MLS 1.0 manager. What he DIDN'T do was keep up with how clubs are building teams now. He called a few guys he knows, and they pawned off overvalued players on him, basically.

And he did so with the limitation of the DPs already limiting their desire to spend on a DP striker.

The litany of bad signings and decisions -- shedding Shaff, Lawrence, Delgado, McNaughton, Petrasso, Pozuelo, while adding Sapong, Servania, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Petretta and promoting Kerr, Franklin, JMR, Jayden to first team minutes -- just guaranteed that the coaching didn't' really matter.

Imagine this club playing last night's match (and the players not, like, hating each other):

-----------------Johnson---------------

Laryea--McNaughton--Hedges--Lawrence

------------Delgado---Osorio--------------

--Bernardeschi--Pozuelo--Insigne--

--------------Jimenez(Shaff)---------------

That, literally, is the team we could've been playing with for most of this season. Even without a first choice striker, a platoon of Jimenez (solid finisher) and Shaff (good finisher, very quick) would've probably gotten us 10-20 goals.

Instead, we went with team sunny youth. Good grief.
    Yep, I said this many times over the last season and a half (and the first training camp as well)… suspected it and then it became pretty obvious. Very bad, disaster of a move from Manning. And yes, it was apparent a long time ago.

Good that Osorio is speaking up. He must do. He’s a quiet leader and he’s the only one with the seniority and dues to speak.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

michael singh hinted on TTID that there may be a new coach in the next few day and that bill manning's idea of waiting til the offseason to get someone was shut down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    michael singh hinted on TTID that there may be a new coach in the next few day and that bill manning's idea of waiting til the offseason to get someone was shut down.
    Aslong as this guy is Jason's choice and not Bill's. Anyone have any guesses? My name to throw into the mix is Pa-Modou Kah.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Aslong as this guy is Jason's choice and not Bill's. Anyone have any guesses? My name to throw into the mix is Pa-Modou Kah.
    yeah he's quite successful at lower levels and probably ready to take the step up.

similar resume to lots of successful coaches in this league.

regardless i think getting someone in soonish is important.

we're just burning the season if we keep terry. everyone knows he won't be here next year as the HC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Manning may have been content if it took that long, but he has not proposed actually delaying it. In fact, he's been pretty clear he wants it done as soon as possible. It is the priority task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning may have been content if it took that long, but he has not proposed actually delaying it. In fact, he's been pretty clear he wants it done as soon as possible. It is the priority task.
    Do we have any ideas what a list of candidates would look like.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good.

I feel with the three week break now it's the ideal time to bring someone I'm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And get rid of the shirt we are red

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect Osorio's hit on management was probably about the roster and the fact that we have no real goal scorer and a pair of petulant visitors who occasionally show up as our forward line.

It really hit home against Atlas how past it Sapong is. He'd been on for just a few minutes and someone clipped a cross -- might have been JMR -- from the left side. And he was just so late to it that he was snapping his head to redirect after the ball was already past. "A step late there from Sapong," Dan Gargan said somewhat charitably on the play-by-play.
    I agree that Sapong is way past it. HOWEVER he still has certain striker instincts that nobody else on the team currently has. I went with a friend for the first time, who has WAY more experience with playing, coaching and watching than I do. He's also much better at noticing what is happening off the ball than I am. We sat up high on the west side, where you can really see play develop.

From the start of the game, my friend kept mentioning: as our D and MF was trying to build up play and advance the ball, nobody up front was moving. They were mostly just standing, facing backwards, and watching. They weren't moving, stretching the Atlas defence, opening channels for teammates, etc. That changed immediately when Sapong came on, as he did most of the above.

This isn't an argument in favour of Sapong. It just shows our total lack of offensive skillsets. And even the guys who have some basic skills, like Kerr, have not been trained how to play and move. Note that Kerr has played in 46 games with TFC, and has had many more training sessions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree that Sapong is way past it. HOWEVER he still has certain striker instincts that nobody else on the team currently has. I went with a friend for the first time, who has WAY more experience with playing, coaching and watching than I do. He's also much better at noticing what is happening off the ball than I am. We sat up high on the west side, where you can really see play develop.

From the start of the game, my friend kept mentioning: as our D and MF was trying to build up play and advance the ball, nobody up front was moving. They were mostly just standing, facing backwards, and watching. They weren't moving, stretching the Atlas defence, opening channels for teammates, etc. That changed immediately when Sapong came on, as he did most of the above.

This isn't an argument in favour of Sapong. It just shows our total lack of offensive skillsets. And even the guys who have some basic skills, like Kerr, have not been trained how to play and move. Note that Kerr has played in 46 games with TFC, and has had many more training sessions.
    Yeh, this has been my thing about Sapong all year - moves , gets defenders having to adjust - problem is nobody else does feces in terms of movement & Sapong is slow in his movements and can no longer control the ball at the speed it needs to be controlled at..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree that Sapong is way past it. HOWEVER he still has certain striker instincts that nobody else on the team currently has. I went with a friend for the first time, who has WAY more experience with playing, coaching and watching than I do. He's also much better at noticing what is happening off the ball than I am.
    So if your friend can spot this live from the 200 level as it's happening then what the hell are Dunfield, his assistants, and our fancy analytics department doing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    So if your friend can spot this live from the 200 level as it's happening then what the hell are Dunfield, his assistants, and our fancy analytics department doing?

A whole lot of "if we only can get them in the right situation" sort of thinking coupled with "if we train hard enough" thinking (I doubt the analytics thinks this btw)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Do we have any ideas what a list of candidates would look like.
    Chris Armas, John Conway, Gareth Wheeler, Greg Vanney's dog, & Michael Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do we think is taking this job? It has a high risk of being a lame duck position, a two month gig… MLSE is not letting Manning throw a big commitment and big dollars at someone, given his own lame duck status.

Who of any appropriate caliber would come?
    Last edited by ensco; 08-01-2023 at 06:44 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be honest... Manning likely knows he is cooked, but if he can parlay success on the Argo's front, then he is likely looking at a much softer landing that if he is ousted on the back of this TFC dumpster fire. If I was him I would be playing every card I had to ride out to the end of the season as it can't possible get any worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 weeks to get ready for the next game. With the players that we have left on the roster I would set up in a 4-1-3-2 formation. We need to score and play the players who are performing somewhat ok.
    Insigne - Cassius
    Osorio - Coello - Blessing
    Ibarra
    Pettrata - Stefanovic - Mbaka - O'Neal
    Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firm View Post
    And get rid of the shirt we are red
    Yes. That alternative kit is the most hideous thing I've ever seen on the pitch aside from our play this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Lollo and the KSA... Some chatter that it was Al Nassr. That there may have been delay issues because they recently got sanctioned- transfer banned- by FIFA for a disputed or outstanding amount with another club/footballer. Apparently that situation has now been resolved; settled with a payment since Sadio Mane was signed yesterday to join Marcelo Brozovic and CR7? Also interesting, seems Marco Verratti is off to Al-Hilal; with lots of speculation that Ciro Immobile may join him. So, I suspect we have until 13SEP23 to find out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Who do we think is taking this job? It has a high risk of being a lame duck position, a two month gig… MLSE is not letting Manning throw a big commitment and big dollars at someone, given his own lame duck status.

Who of any appropriate caliber would come?
    Catch 22 though. You can't hire trash and expect a turnaround good enough to sell seats either. Probably why Hernandez involved. Really they should be throwing huge DP level bucks at a proven manager to run everything from the ground up but most likely they're doing the young up & comer thing. Right now I am thinking Kah if there's any truth to a change happening in the next few days. Might be a good move but I wouldn't do it if I were Manning/Hernandez. Still very risky. I would get a real can't miss and not a Bob can't miss either. A real sure thing and pay what it takes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If our buyout goes unused in a season like this with a player like Diomande then I am docking marks off Hernandez. That will be the dumbest non-move ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If our buyout goes unused in a season like this with a player like Diomande then I am docking marks off Hernandez. That will be the dumbest non-move ever.
    There may be a complicating factor there in that he has addiction issues, and in Canada even a buyout of someone under contract can be difficult if they claim they're getting treatment and don't wish to go early.

That's not inside knowledge, I'm just speculating because he had to go into rehab when he left LAFC.

Other than that, it seems insane, yeah. Maybe his deal wasn't the two years reported but was a one-plus-one. If that the case, the team could just decline his second-year option and may be sitting on the buyout in case they need it to free up Bernardeschi's deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a sign of how much South Americans and Central Americans love Football, consider that Batiz's leagues cup appearance made the sports pages down there as a story.

https://www.diez.hn/legionarios/jesu...mls-HF14669853

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine this club playing last night's match (and the players not, like, hating each other):

-----------------Johnson---------------

Laryea--McNaughton--Hedges--Lawrence

------------Delgado---Osorio--------------

--Bernardeschi--Pozuelo--Insigne--

--------------Jimenez(Shaff)---------------

That, literally, is the team we could've been playing with for most of this season. Even without a first choice striker, a platoon of Jimenez (solid finisher) and Shaff (good finisher, very quick) would've probably gotten us 10-20 goals.

Instead, we went with team sunny youth. Good grief.
    This is pretty much what I also hoped for. It's such a shame this opportunity was missed cause this is one decent line up. Italians tended to bypass Jimenez when they came but they didn't have Poz and you know Poz would have given Jimenez lots of service if he was able to play with them. And now we are missing that poacher in front of goal. So many mistakes by Bill and his hires it stings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be a complicating factor there in that he has addiction issues, and in Canada even a buyout of someone under contract can be difficult if they claim they're getting treatment and don't wish to go early.

That's not inside knowledge, I'm just speculating because he had to go into rehab when he left LAFC.

Other than that, it seems insane, yeah. Maybe his deal wasn't the two years reported but was a one-plus-one. If that the case, the team could just decline his second-year option and may be sitting on the buyout in case they need it to free up Bernardeschi's deal.
    Very possible but if so then it should be used on someone else because we have a lot of players who could use a good buyout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very possible but if so then it should be used on someone else because we have a lot of players who could use a good buyout.
    Maybe Hernandez doesn’t have authorization to buy anyone out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There may be a complicating factor there in that he has addiction issues, and in Canada even a buyout of someone under contract can be difficult if they claim they're getting treatment and don't wish to go early. That's not inside knowledge, I'm just speculating because he had to go into rehab when he left LAFC. Other than that, it seems insane, yeah. Maybe his deal wasn't the two years reported but was a one-plus-one. If that the case, the team could just decline his second-year option and may be sitting on the buyout in case they need it to free up Bernardeschi's deal.
    Likely waiting to see how player dominoes fall? IIUC, it's one buy out 'a year'? If in-season then by close of the Second Transfer Window, otherwise during the off-season; suppose 10DEC23? to 31DEC23? Then another buy-out available next year; possibly starting 01JAN24 with then similar parameters?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    IIRC, this may have been insinuated in the recent podcast of TTID; that is, no money, hence budget approval.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    This could well be a thing. Buyouts aren't free, and MLSE may be tired of setting money on fire. It'll be telling in that regard if we don't use a buy out this year, despite numerous candidates. we'll see.

I'm more inclined to believe we're just waiting until the last moment to see how all chips fall so we can make the most use out of it

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree! And what are they teaching the players, in TFC I / II and the academy? That's one reason I have a hard time evaluating "those players are all shite," especially the younger ones. Yes, they are playing like shite, but how good would they be with decent training and development; plus decent coaching & tactics in-game? Hard to guess; and that's probably why some players do quite well after they leave TFC; and others really turn out to be not good enough.