Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Giovinco stats:
    1 goal in his past 1450 minutes.

1 goal in the past 3 years.

16 goals in total since he left TFC 5 years ago in order to chase more money.
    If Manning is in charge of this then we'll see the Whitecaps sign Hoillet for sub TAM $$$ for the remainder of 2023 only and we'll sign a washed Giovinco though 2024 at $600K+ because people lost in nostalgia might renew for next season.

If that happens, I won't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If Manning is in charge of this then we'll see the Whitecaps sign Hoillet for sub TAM $$$ for the remainder of 2023 only and we'll sign a washed Giovinco though 2024 at $600K+ because people lost in nostalgia might renew for next season.

If that happens, I won't.
    I am against TFC just signing token Canadians, but signing the local guy who has been playing lots in the Championship and with the CMNT as a non-TAM vs. The guy who has played 37 minutes in Serie A, is 3 years older and legitimately screwed us 5 year ago makes so much more sense.

I won't bitch relentlessly if it is only for 3 months, but if this deal guarantees him a roster spot in 2024, I'll be as pissy as I was when we signed Ayo to that u-22 spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am against TFC just signing token Canadians, but signing the local guy who has been playing lots in the Championship and with the CMNT as a non-TAM vs. The guy who has played 37 minutes in Serie A, is 3 years older and legitimately screwed us 5 year ago makes so much more sense.

I won't bitch relentlessly if it is only for 3 months, but if this deal guarantees him a roster spot in 2024, I'll be as pissy as I was when we signed Ayo to that u-22 spot.
    I don't care about the politics and antipathy, I just give a shit if he can still play.

If he has adapted to less speed and dynamism, but can still set up and score goals, great. I highly doubt it will be before the 65th minute in most games, as he doesn't have the size to make up for the lack of quickness now.

He's probably more mobile than Victor, and has every bit the vision, so... who knows. Can't think it's going to make any huge difference though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I don't care about the politics and antipathy, I just give a shit if he can still play.

If he has adapted to less speed and dynamism, but can still set up and score goals, great. I highly doubt it will be before the 65th minute in most games, as he doesn't have the size to make up for the lack of quickness now.

He's probably more mobile than Victor, and has every bit the vision, so... who knows. Can't think it's going to make any huge difference though.
    If that is the role, then he is fighting for the Oso 75 minute replacement, rather than Vazquez. Anyone see an injury report for Sat., which players have lower body injuries?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollins says giovinco not signing.

Probably means he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    If that is the role, then he is fighting for the Oso 75 minute replacement, rather than Vazquez. Anyone see an injury report for Sat., which players have lower body injuries?
    In English cricket they have the statistical notaion 'LBW', or "leg before wicket", which means a guy was called out when his shin pad blocked a ball from hitting the stumps.

In TFC foobtall we have the notation "LBI" or "lower body injury", which means it's a Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Probably means he is.
    Normally, I'd expect him to just flip a coin. But not on this one. He's probably got something. It depends how much the source likes him, assuming the source exists. This should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only way insigne leaves is if he decides to leave a ton of money on the table, or a saudi team comes in.

there's no way the club will do a buyout, especially with so many years left.

for reference tho, verratti's salary in qatar (not saudi) is 35 million euros a year, way way more than insigne.

https://euro.eseuro.com/sports/1008076.html
    My bad, looked his salary up and got the PSG number. Damn... that's nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Again… everyone keeps missing the part of what the player wants or as juve calls it the will of the playerr. If he wants out for whatever reason he’s going to have to give up the money owing. At no point did I say tfc was going to buy him out or pay half his salary.

Your sources tell you what they want, the same that mine do. We will see what happens, and I stand by what I have been told.
    I propose that you and jloome contact Mike Singh about appearing as guests on the TTID podcast, and you all have a TFC roundtable. I would definitely tune in to listen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably means he is.
    Wonder if next year option is the issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness, he just did what any player in world football would do in the last year of their contract. That Manning et al got caught flat footed is their own fault. Also, considering how he’s played since leaving, he did us a huge favour by not resigning. That contract would have been Altidore part 2.

But point taken, you weren’t a relationship guy before, no point of us believing you are now. I don’t think we should be doing any extra favours. But if wants to Dero for a few years, no issue on my side.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...Vasquez hasn't exactly been a wonder signing either but if it keeps people happy - VV is going to likely retire, I think - he's a free agent.

Salary at minimum, give him an extra year & just have him be around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Meh...Vasquez hasn't exactly been a wonder signing either but if it keeps people happy - VV is going to likely retire, I think - he's a free agent.

Salary at minimum, give him an extra year & just have him be around.
    I would argue he would be a distraction if he is just hanging around. He already is. No one seems to care we won our last game (this is based on social media), all the talk and comments are about signing Giovinco. Next year if we sign a u-22 striker and he doesn't score in his first two games all we'll see is "start Seba! We would of won if Seba played 90 minutes."

Sign him for the rest of the season, have a great ceremony for Seba, Victor and Michael. Start all 3 for the last home game. Hell, see if Jozy wants to be a part of it. Give them the big ovation they all deserve and let's say goodbye to the past and move on to creating a better future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Common sense prevails?

Doubt it. More likely Seba's usual greed/ego is preventing a deal like it did a few times for him in the past.

All for the best. Death to 2017!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This makes more sense to me. Six months matters at his age. Let’s let Herdman get a proper look and see how he fits in next year, after other roster moves have occurred.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, small admin thing I noticed when embedding tweets. When pasting the link, you need to go into the link and change the website from X.com to Twitter.com because Elon is a genius or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, small admin thing I noticed when embedding tweets. When pasting the link, you need to go into the link and change the website from X.com to Twitter.com because Elon is a genius or something.
    It's worth noting for posterity that Elon Musk has never invented anything in his life, and is a rich kid venture capitalist with good timing.

Not that it's not impressive to get rich; but he didn't code or invent Paypal, he didn't invent electric wheelhubs, and his degree was awarded post-hoc his career, and is effectively honorary.

He's not a genius, he has just positioned himself mythologically as such. He used his parents' money to hang around in Silicon Valley in the early 90s before it was a major incubator and found financial support for the idea of online banking... which wasn't a new idea.

Seba's situation is sort of sad to me. I said I'll support it if he can prove he belongs, but that's not going to happen. He should just retire, at this point. You can't go home again.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-15-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC needs to stop beating this dead horse.

Why in the world should we even consider signing Giovinco at this stage, let alone wait to see him in training next year.

He isn't getting better in 6 months.

This is just sad on TFC part.

Sign him for one game for home opener, and give him a proper send off. Make it a charity match or something.
    Last edited by Richard; 09-15-2023 at 09:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Seba's situation is sort of sad to me. I said I'll support it if he can prove he belongs, but that's not going to happen. He should just retire, at this point. You can't go home again.
    This story ain't over yet; the clock is still running and we shall see. Some brinkmanship at play; contract terms- length and wage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's worth noting for posterity that Elon Musk has never invented anything in his life, and is a rich kid venture capitalist with good timing.

Not that it's not impressive to get rich; but he didn't code or invent Paypal, he didn't invent electric wheelhubs, and his degree was awarded post-hoc his career, and is effectively honorary.

He's not a genius, he has just positioned himself mythologically as such. He used his parents' money to hang around in Silicon Valley in the early 90s before it was a major incubator and found financial support for the idea of online banking... which wasn't a new idea.

Seba's situation is sort of sad to me. I said I'll support it if he can prove he belongs, but that's not going to happen. He should just retire, at this point. You can't go home again.
    Musk would be broke without government funding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Musk would be broke without government funding.
    The guy is really just a carnival barker and self promoter.

In 5-10 years, Tesla will just be another car company. It won’t have any perception of being a leader attached to it and its sky-high valuation will be gone.

Musk will move onto the next idea and see how many more investors he can suck money out of to increase his personal fortune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sign him. Give him a farewell match in the season finale and be done with it. We're out of the playoffs, there's no relegation, give him 90 or 45 or 60 or 30 or whatever in the home finale and be done with it. If he doesn't have it now, he definitely won't have it next season, when he's even older. We have a couple open roster spots we're not using. I just want this story to end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Just sign him. Give him a farewell match in the season finale and be done with it. We're out of the playoffs, there's no relegation, give him 90 or 45 or 60 or 30 or whatever in the home finale and be done with it. If he doesn't have it now, he definitely won't have it next season, when he's even older. We have a couple open roster spots we're not using. I just want this story to end.
    You're assuming he is willing to re-sign for these last few 2023 matches without having 2024 included and we're also assuming he is taking a lower wage. Last time he said he was willing to take a 'lower wage' it was still in TAM/DP territory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I hope we do this with MB, Seba, VV and I would even add Jozy to the mix.

Give all these guys the last home match or at least 45 minutes for a proper goodbye.

Then move on. Next season we should be starting Cash, not 36/37 year old Seba.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Next season we should be starting Cash, not 36/37 year old Seba.
    We should be doing that now so our staff gets a live look at him and he gets his feet proper wet in MLS instead of nostagic fan appeasement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    This story ain't over yet; the clock is still running and we shall see. Some brinkmanship at play; contract terms- length and wage.
    Yesterday (Thursday), Seba was with Dunfield and a third gentleman (whom I did not recognize but appeared to be Seba's representation) at a corner table in a Yorkville restaurant (from 4 to 6 pm). The bulk of the conversation was between Dunfield and the third person with Seba mostly listening intently. It was not an animated conversation by any stretch. In the end, they all stood and departed without really acknowledging each other much. There certainly were no congratulatory handshakes, nor hugs, nor slaps on the back, and no smiles. Nor were there any signs of discord. It was more - ok see you at work tomorrow morning. If anything, it looked like a conversation where Terry had been dispatched to break the news. Of course anything can happen before 8 pm but that's my take based on what I witnessed. (For the record, I would have enjoyed seeing Seba make a few cameos before the end of the season since I've lost all other interest for the time being)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how much the salary rules will change after the season ends. Everyone's going to want to cash in on Messi mania, and use it to land higher profile signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, management at TFC is even more clueless than I thought. Throwing a dime at Giovinco would have delivered a major lift for the fans and would have given the team a bit of a breather from some of the pressure they have had to endure the entire season. We all need good vibes now, but even that they fail to deliver on. This season for me is really all about the curse of us not wearing red. Everything, absolutely everything was done wrong, and Giovinco was the last chapter of the book of how not to run a football club. Alrighty then, let's have these last meaningless games over with and let's see if anyone cares about 2024. I'll be around as I've been since day one, but my faith in the management group is zero.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    Yesterday (Thursday), Seba was with Dunfield and a third gentleman (whom I did not recognize but appeared to be Seba's representation) at a corner table in a Yorkville restaurant (from 4 to 6 pm). The bulk of the conversation was between Dunfield and the third person with Seba mostly listening intently. It was not an animated conversation by any stretch. In the end, they all stood and departed without really acknowledging each other much. There certainly were no congratulatory handshakes, nor hugs, nor slaps on the back, and no smiles. Nor were there any signs of discord. It was more - ok see you at work tomorrow morning. If anything, it looked like a conversation where Terry had been dispatched to break the news. Of course anything can happen before 8 pm but that's my take based on what I witnessed. (For the record, I would have enjoyed seeing Seba make a few cameos before the end of the season since I've lost all other interest for the time being)
    Appreciate this community so much. Particularly when members, recently like jloome, TheGoodson and yourself, as well as, many others in the past, are able to add their knowledge to any discussion for consideration.