Page 69 of 138 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379119 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 4129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We’ve yet to hire anybody experienced who was on the incline of their coaching career. It’s always been inexperienced punts or experienced guys that were past their best before date.
    Because with Bill we're handcuffed to only hiring former USMNT connects or guys he played with in MLS 1.0.

If I had my way I would replace all of them including Hernandez. Really if there was a sensible person up top they should have canned Bill and gave Lagerway his president gig and let him to do it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the most important signing this offseason will probably be whoever is put in charge of sports science. you can sign all the right players, if you are missing 7-8 starters and double digit players most weeks, it won't be worth shit.
    I am not so sure that will be the most important signing for them. I believe they have made it a priority. By Dunfield's mentions, it seems TFC have identified it as such; he has mentioned Alex McKechnie of MLSE/Raptors several times. So they may have an interim solution and consultant to address the matter. I get the impression McKechnie's opinion may have been sports silo'd out, sidelined or just ignored over the years and particularly by BBradley; with his training methods.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-12-2023 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the main goal we need to do like we did in 2015 is establish the style of play we want to and go grab the players that can complement it.

Do we want to be a run and gun team? Possession? Once we Establish that, we can properly plan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Follow-up...

It's not like MLSE Ownership/Board has not identified Sports Science as an issue; even addressing it by cementing a local personnel pipeline source.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ty-of-toronto/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I am not so sure that will be the most important signing for them. I believe they have made it a priority. By Dunfield's mentions, it seems TFC have identified it as such; he has mentioned Alex McKechnie of MLSE/Raptors several times. So they may have an interim solution and consultant to address the matter. I get the impression McKechnie's opinion may have been sports silo'd out, sidelined or just ignored over the years and particularly by BBradley; with his training methods.
    at a certain point when you are having so many guys out every week, it's definitely something that we are doing wrong instead of just bad luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at a certain point when you are having so many guys out every week, it's definitely something that we are doing wrong instead of just bad luck.
    I completely agree. Feels like the first thing we are doing wrong is signing too many injury prone players. Second part being how we manage everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    I think the main goal we need to do like we did in 2015 is establish the style of play we want to and go grab the players that can complement it.

Do we want to be a run and gun team? Possession? Once we Establish that, we can properly plan
    This is the one area where I somewhat / ever so slightly agree with Manning’s comment of “nobody remembers how you play if you win”

I think we need to look at we have and say “how do we turn this group into a winner? What’s the way to do that and minimize roster turnover? Is thr suggested style of play entertaining enough to satisfy the fan base?”(Nobody likes overly defensive posturing)

That can dictate plans and avoid another slash-and-burn rebuild like Bradley tried to do. If we look around and don’t feel strongly about anything then I guess all options are open.

To me this team needs to at least somewhat be build around a star player. Issue being that star player is clearly not a part of TFC at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking about the roster for some time-- I do believe the spine/core needs to be the focus.

Against popular believe- TFC should get rid of anyone over 32+

I would get rid of:

Johnson(get value while you can)
    Hedges( get value when you can)
    Diomande
    VV
    Sapong

TFC isnt winning any time soon and having a CB and GK older where the CB is extremely injury prone- should move on from them ASAP clear the books using that free space to then sign a 3rd U-22 player.

Sign an unknown goalie from a european league and find a CB in his prime not over 30 like Hedges, OG and Ciman.

On top of this- moving on from Richie- as this was bad management from the get go- didnt make sense taking on his loan -and it doesnt make sense to even consider taking richie back.

I think the goal is the clear cap space as quickly as possible while adding some assets that could help re-build the team.

The only issue is- the messi effect and the possibility of rule changes.

I dont see a way out - this is super messy and Bill should re-sign effective immediately.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    I have been thinking about the roster for some time-- I do believe the spine/core needs to be the focus.

I dont see a way out - this is super messy and Bill should re-sign effective immediately.
    Agree with everything but I would say 30 years old. We won't be really competing for 2 years+ so aim for players in their 20's.

The fact that Diomande is still "here" at that rate but AWOL forever should be a fireable offense. We're in this position and we're clutching that buyout still?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an argument at Leeds that Marcelo Bielsa's training methods were so harsh, they probably a) gave Patrick Bamford the ability boost required to have one brilliant season and b) burned him out two years early, and are largely why he's crocked now.

Bob, according to everything I've seen and read, ran his entire training session as 7-on-7 scrimmages. I've made this point to someone at the club and it has yet to be rebutted; normally, 7-on-7s (or 5-on-5s) are left until the END of a training day, and generally limited to 30-45 minutes.

Running 7-on-7s ALL DAY -- or even just for a few hours -- would be like adding six games of play time a week to each player. He had a really big roster at LA; did they have lots of injuries?

I can't think it's coincidence that whenever I've seen players complain after-the-fact about training methodology being too intense, I've also seen a club that has a lot of muscle injuries.

Bob quite famously is very fit himself and would sometimes work the exercise bikes alongside players after practice. This was not necessarily a good idea; the last thing you want is a player wanting to avoid being outdone by his 62-year-old boss, and to overwork after ALREADY overworking in practise.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these injuries were largely not occurring under Vanney, Armas or Perez.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-12-2023 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get rid of:

Diomande
    VV
    Sapong

TFC isnt winning any time soon and having a CB and GK older where the CB is extremely injury prone- should move on from them ASAP clear the books using that free space to then sign a 3rd U-22 player.

Sign an unknown goalie from a european league and find a CB in his prime not over 30 like Hedges, OG and Ciman.

On top of this- moving on from Richie- as this was bad management from the get go- didnt make sense taking on his loan -and it doesnt make sense to even consider taking richie back.

I think the goal is the clear cap space as quickly as possible while adding some assets that could help re-build the team.

We overpaid for Johnson and Hedges, never should have signed Victor or Diomande.

Sapong's hit is heaviest but he's out of contract at the end of the year. I think Diomande, Vasquez and Sapong are all on one and one options, so they can just let them go.

We won't get a buyer for Hedges at his contract and age. We might for Johnson, but he's a pretty good keeper in this league.

There's no value to be had from any of these guys right now. The one that makes the most sense is to buyout Diomande, which gives us most of the cap hit space for another striker.

There are definitely going to be cap changes, I would bet on it. Not just to address Messi, but also because the teams have been guaranteed up to $2M or so in relief space if enough revenue starts coming back from the Apple deal, and they're close to their target already, a week before Messi even joins Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get rid of:

Diomande
    VV
    Sapong

I have a feeling we could find a suitor for Johnson as hes a good goalkeeper in this league.

VV and Sapongs contracts are up in December so thats a wash and some cap space we can use.

Diomande sadly is on this year and 2024 with a 2025 Option.. What a horrible contract and someone who well look to be buy out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goalkeepers usually last longer, so he could be okay unless they feel Romero is ready to take over. Hedges, while 33, we're a disaster without. I don't think we can afford to part with him despite his age. Diomande needs to be bought out yesterday. They haven't used this year's buyout yet, and if they need to use next year's on someone else, but have to waste it on diomande because they waited will be ridiculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Agree. But having Manning and/or Hernandez lead that is, seriously… not objectively likely to work.

I mean, I guess they could get lucky, especially if you think this is an exercise with randomness in it. The Wall St Journal has an annual monkeys throwing darts” portfolio, where “monkeys” pick 20 random stocks (the metaphor is monkeys picking stocks by throwing darts at an old school newspaper taped to a wall). The monkeys regularly beat the pros. Which is interesting.

But I don’t think talent identification in sports is very random. My analogy would be medicine. I don’t just want good doctors. If I need surgery, my first question to the surgeon would be: how many times have you done this exact surgery?

Which is why I go back to who is the analytics guru at MLSE...Devon Pleurer is good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People that don't rate Hedges or Johnston long term (next 3 years) and want to bring in an unknown European just make me shake my head.

EVERY decent team in this league has a decent GK & a stud domestic CB. And we want to ditch that for "unknowns" who are cheaper?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post

I like the move but also means people will be sent out shortly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes! I absolutely love Latif. A non stop engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, it seems obvious that Hernandez see's the midfield as the weakest spot on the field. We can't be the only people who see how badly MAK has struggled since arriving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hernandez SZN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Also, it seems obvious that Hernandez see's the midfield as the weakest spot on the field. We can't be the only people who see how badly MAK has struggled since arriving.
    They're well aware of it, and that moving him to a six has made it worse, not better. I think his constant petulance probably didn't help.

This is a canny move by Hernandez. Blessing has a real two-way motor, and Arena very much fancies himself a guy who can get more out of players than others. The fact that both Bob and Robin Fraser liked him was probably an irresistible challenge. I think he's wrong in this case; any improvement he gets will be a blip, because MAK's ability to read the game at speed is inferior to his skills.

Plus, we likely shed some salary, if not immediately then after this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They're well aware of it, and that moving him to a six has made it worse, not better. I think his constant petulance probably didn't help.

This is a canny move by Hernandez. Blessing has a real two-way motor, and Arena very much fancies himself a guy who can get more out of players than others. The fact that both Bob and Robin Fraser liked him was probably an irresistible challenge. I think he's wrong in this case; any improvement he gets will be a blip, because MAK's ability to read the game at speed is inferior to his skills.

Plus, we likely shed some salary, if not immediately then after this season.
    Blessing is on 665k.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big move if true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where does he play for tfc...he seems to play all over the place rb rw rm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wow if this is true. Hernandez going to be a God around here. Now just buy out Diomande. I still can't believe Bob gave that guy a 2 year contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we needed to move mark anthony, hasn't worked out and big salary.

blessing imo is a far better player, a couple years younger and has legs we desperately need in CM (100K less salary too).

hernandez evaluation of the CM weakness is refreshing, it's been obvious for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    where does he play for tfc...he seems to play all over the place rb rw rm
    I would expect as an eight, where he played quite frequently for LAFC. Great utility player, though, can really slot in anywhere in the mid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will take it. Honestly, I'm starting to feel something akin to hope again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

underrated part about blessing is he can play RB and RW too.

MAk can only play a very specific version as an 8 and not particularly well.

we havent had enough solid utility players since deleon and hasler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    I will take it. Honestly, I'm starting to feel something akin to hope again.
    I know Ibarra is only here for 6 months, but adding him and Blessing for MAK and 50k GAM is a massive win. Not sure we make the playoffs, but we are positioning ourselves to have a fun Leagues Cup run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Revs fans seem pretty happy with this news, so that gives me pause. But on paper this is a good move, especially if MAK has issues in the dressing room which has been hinted at. Maybe a trade where everyone wins as both players need moves, but yeah, the revs fans seem to be pretty down on Blessings performances this year