Page 129 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I wonder how much the salary rules will change after the season ends. Everyone's going to want to cash in on Messi mania, and use it to land higher profile signings.
    I think the changes will be significant. For instance, considering the persistent rumours of Suarez and Griezmann to IMCF, the addition of either one of them to that squad sould indicate an accommodation for a 4th DP rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/sta...jdETf__MQ&s=19

Hearing that Matko Miljevic is no longer a member of @cfmontreal. Contract terminated #cfmtl  

Do we take a look ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/sta...jdETf__MQ&s=19

Hearing that Matko Miljevic is no longer a member of @cfmontreal. Contract terminated #cfmtl  

Do we take a look ?
    Sure, just go down to the local men’s league and watch for the guy throwing down in the parking lot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this will be a hard rebuild, dont expect much next year. Hopefully competitive and then challenge again in '25.

I would love to see us keep Ibarra (makes mistakes but he has that sandpaper), get a the 1st or 2nd superdraft pick. Rebuild the team up the spine and if they want to fit in JH's plan let the Italians contribute, (if they dont move them if you can). Maybe LI/FB moves to the middle and Oso is the utility midfielder.

Get a real striker (younger and not injury prone), get some speed in the team. These are going to be character revealing 7 games.

EDIT - Anchor defender goes without saying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I think this will be a hard rebuild, dont expect much next year. Hopefully competitive and then challenge again in '25.

I would love to see us keep Ibarra (makes mistakes but he has that sandpaper), get a the 1st or 2nd superdraft pick. Rebuild the team up the spine and if they want to fit in JH's plan let the Italians contribute, (if they dont move them if you can). Maybe LI/FB moves to the middle and Oso is the utility midfielder.

Get a real striker (younger and not injury prone), get some speed in the team. These are going to be character revealing 7 games.

EDIT - Anchor defender goes without saying
    My hope is that Herdman goes in tough, makes it clear the roster has to change and makes a very large stink if they don't give him the help he needs.

If not for the assist, I'd be suggesting Insigne should sit next game. For most of that match, he was so poor he was detrimental.

I think Jimmy Brennan's roster position, that teams at this level need competition at every spot, is right. The next time we get a DP, ensuring they don't see themselves as bigger than the club would be a good start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I will respect my fellow posters and not comment on the post above mine.

Anyways, let's talk about Seba again or something.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Ok...

Seba next year?

In terms of THIS year, I don't see a reason to not give Seba a few games and a proper goodbye for his glory years with TFC and the 2017 team. That is UNLESS he's demanding lots of $$$ and term that will impact our cap/budget/roster next year, even if the MLS cap and roster rules might be changing/improving.

In terms of NEXT year, I don't believe Seba should be anywhere near TFC as a player. Maybe in some sort of a coaching role, maybe.

IMO, next year should be about fielding a younger, dynamic, and more promising roster of players (in the mold of Mailula and Ibarra). I have some doubts that that will happen with Bill Manning in charge, even though Jason Hernandez has made some interesting moves thus far in his tenure. If he's still in charge, I can see Manning overriding Hernandez and Herdman to go back to his default and bring in older DPs, etc. I find it wild that Manning 's still around TBH.

PS: I'm always willing to learn from people that hold contrary views than mine. DMs are open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hope is that Herdman goes in tough, makes it clear the roster has to change and makes a very large stink if they don't give him the help he needs.

If not for the assist, I'd be suggesting Insigne should sit next game. For most of that match, he was so poor he was detrimental.

I think Jimmy Brennan's roster position, that teams at this level need competition at every spot, is right. The next time we get a DP, ensuring they don't see themselves as bigger than the club would be a good start.
    Messi effect may get his ass motivated only thing.

I'd love to see Cash on one of the wings for a full game though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frantic View Post
    In terms of THIS year, I don't see a reason to not give Seba a few games and a proper goodbye for his glory years with TFC and the 2017 team. That is UNLESS he's demanding lots of $$$ and term that will impact our cap/budget/roster next year, even if the MLS cap and roster rules might be changing/improving.

In terms of NEXT year, I don't believe Seba should be anywhere near TFC as a player.
    I think you've somewhat nailed the problem. He doesn't want a testimonial game, he wants to play full-time, and wants a roster spot.

I think they were willing to give him this season as a goodbye, coming in late in a few games, maybe getting a start in the last game, because this season is meaningless. But he wants next year as well, and their answer was the only sensible one: show up for camp, we'll give you a shot.

I think they're trying to give him the nicest, softest route to retiring possible, but he does not seem willing to take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    Messi effect may get his ass motivated only thing.

I'd love to see Cash on one of the wings for a full game though.
    Me too, although from watching some of their highlights, he probably profiles more as a second striker in MLS. He's very much a wide forward rather than a winger. His strength seems to be finding space in the box late, and popping up where the ball is going to be. He played in from wide, but he plays like a poacher, sort of, or trailer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we have any sense about the type of style Herdman will want TFC to play?

And whether he has any meaningful say in the construction of the roster to match that style of play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you've somewhat nailed the problem. He doesn't want a testimonial game, he wants to play full-time, and wants a roster spot.

I think they were willing to give him this season as a goodbye, coming in late in a few games, maybe getting a start in the last game, because this season is meaningless. But he wants next year as well, and their answer was the only sensible one: show up for camp, we'll give you a shot.

I think they're trying to give him the nicest, softest route to retiring possible, but he does not seem willing to take it.
    I guess my first point about THIS year is moot, since the roster freeze was last week lol

I'd be a NO in terms of "show up for camp and we'll give you a shot." Loved that guy while he played here, but it's time to move on from him as a player IMO. Same with Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frantic View Post
    I guess my first point about THIS year is moot, since the roster freeze was last week lol

I'd be a NO in terms of "show up for camp and we'll give you a shot." Loved that guy while he played here, but it's time to move on from him as a player IMO. Same with Bradley.
    It's going to be a somewhat inglorious end for MB though, as there's no way John Herdman will play him as a starter.

I just don't believe he'd give up that many position elements, with respect to defending, closing space, keeping shape by keeping up with pace of play etc.

So he'll end up riding the pine for most of the year. That seems inevitable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So he'll end up riding the pine for most of the year. That seems inevitable.
    A defacto assistant is how I see it happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I wonder. I think Herdman may be savvy enough to not do that, given the past disharmony in the room. He won't want any suggestion of being tied to the past debacle, and it was clear the Italians saw him and his father as the enemy in some regard.

So much of our offseason hinges on how they handle the DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is the worst case scenario. Worse even than him playing every minute next season. And I have to assume herdman would feel similarly, having Bradley on his coaching staff would 1) present problems internally based on the athletic article and 2) potentially significantly undermine him and his position at the club. It would be an absolute disaster. If it happens it'd tell me they see herdman as a short term hire who will transition the job to Bradley. And I think that would be such a disaster. I really hope that is not anything close to what's on their mind.

We need to clear house as much as we possibly can from last season (and 2017 for that matter, let it go, Bill). Failure to do so will doom us to all the same problems and currently have.

Michael Bradley can be a future TFC manager but it's imperative he earns his stripes elsewhere, first. Honestly it'd be in his own interest to do it that way, too. With all the issues here starting a coaching or management job here could blow up his career and set it back years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder. I think Herdman may be savvy enough to not do that, given the past disharmony in the room. He won't want any suggestion of being tied to the past debacle, and it was clear the Italians saw him and his father as the enemy in some regard.

So much of our offseason hinges on how they handle the DPs.
    Agreed. I think any notion of him continuing to be involved here is the wrong route. Needs to be a clean break for the time being.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This is the worst case scenario. Worse even than him playing every minute next season. And I have to assume herdman would feel similarly, having Bradley on his coaching staff would 1) present problems internally based on the athletic article and 2) potentially significantly undermine him and his position at the club. It would be an absolute disaster. If it happens it'd tell me they see herdman as a short term hire who will transition the job to Bradley. And I think that would be such a disaster. I really hope that is not anything close to what's on their mind.

We need to clear house as much as we possibly can from last season (and 2017 for that matter, let it go, Bill). Failure to do so will doom us to all the same problems and currently have.

Michael Bradley can be a future TFC manager but it's imperative he earns his stripes elsewhere, first. Honestly it'd be in his own interest to do it that way, too. With all the issues here starting a coaching or management job here could blow up his career and set it back years.
    I don't think he'll be named to the staff. He'll be dressed as a player on the bench but my bet is that Herdman uses him like he did with Atiba when not starting/playing during CMNT matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

17 year old from Toronto who has been playing pro in Romania and has one cap for Romania (still eligible to switch to Canada) being linked to Dallas. This would be a move that TFC could look into (especially as Herdman has probably been in touch with him before in national team one-time switch discussions) https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/gic...as-711647.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can somebody explain to me what they think Oso is doing wrong this year?

I see a lot of "he's bad"

Ok...how?

I have thoughts on this too but I see a lot of "Oso should go" without anybody actually saying why - "he's bad" isn't an arguement - don't make me post the Monty Python sketch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post

Anyways, let's talk about Seba again or something.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MikeForbes again."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok...how?

I have thoughts on this too but I see a lot of "Oso should go" without anybody actually saying why - "he's bad" isn't an argument - don't make me post the Monty Python sketch.
    He signed a million-plus deal and then missed half the games, and when playing produced two goals and four assists across sixteen starts. For much of the time he did play he looked a ghost of his former self. It's only in the last half-dozen games that he's gotten back to speed at all.

I wouldn't say he's a must sell, I would say he is being paid far more than we're likely to get out of him in offensive productivity and he's never been a particularly strong defender.

Having said that, if we played him as more of an attacking central midfielder or hole player in a 4231, I think he can come back and have a more productive year. So it depends; if someone came in with a decent offer we'd have to look at it, because he's on the wrong side of thirty in a very rich deal.

Meanwhile... here's an Oso blast from the past:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/rookie...o-fc-1.1396718
    Last edited by jloome; 09-18-2023 at 08:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Osorio's mysterious injury last year must have had an effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He signed a million-plus deal and then missed half the games, and when playing produced two goals and four assists across sixteen starts. For much of the time he did play he looked a ghost of his former self. It's only in the last half-dozen games that he's gotten back to speed at all.

I wouldn't say he's a must sell, I would say he is being paid far more than we're likely to get out of him in offensive productivity and he's never been a particularly strong defender.

Having said that, if we played him as more of an attacking central midfielder or hole player in a 4231, I think he can come back and have a more productive year. So it depends; if someone came in with a decent offer we'd have to look at it, because he's on the wrong side of thirty in a very rich deal.

Meanwhile... here's an Oso blast from the past:
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/rookie...o-fc-1.1396718
    When I said this about Jozy I got lambasted

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    When I said this about Jozy I got lambasted
    Which is one reason why am I asking for a why on this - you provided reasons - I disagreed with them at the time, but they at least were reasons.

I'm not sure about Oso this year as he has not been as effective. But then the whole squad baring Richie has at times been ineffective.

But people saying "Oso is crap just sell him" to me isn't enough information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the major problems with this team include a lack of speed, particularly a lack of speed in wide areas. Insigne and Bernardeschi as a pairing out wide are awful. The counter attack is brutally slow and their ability to punish guys when they cheat toward stinks because they don’t have the speed to pull away when there’s a good opening. Most MLS teams have the good sense to pair a skilled winger on one side with an extremely fast one one the other to unbalance the defence. Not us, apparently.

Add in some pretty mediocre fullback play post-Laryea and it just means that every team defends us extremely narrowly. I think there were games earlier in the year where Osorio was legitimately awful, weak on the ball, indecisive, etc…

More lately, I think he’s been fine but he’s being hurt by the lack of balance in the team. But I’d still struggle to justify that contract, feels like we stretched too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    17 year old from Toronto who has been playing pro in Romania and has one cap for Romania (still eligible to switch to Canada) being linked to Dallas. This would be a move that TFC could look into (especially as Herdman has probably been in touch with him before in national team one-time switch discussions) https://www.gsp.ro/fotbal/liga-1/gic...as-711647.html
    Seems like an interesting player. He's playing at Farul for Romanian legend Hagi's team, who's know to be good at developing young players. Though there's been some controversy in regards to Sali's playing time - his dad has voiced concerns about lack of minutes. Likely why he's being shopped/moved.

Generally speaking, what is everyone's opinion on having players on the roster where their parents are so involved in their sons' careers?

Not long ago, in July, after the double with Sheriff Tiraspol, the player's father, Engi Sali complained that his son was not getting enough chances to prove his worth and stated that he wanted Enes to leave Farul, and family to return to Canada.

"I'm dying here, my blood pressure has increased! But put him in, sir, too, if you don't give him a chance even now, then when? Give him minutes to show what he can do! It can't be like that, that's why the child ended up crying at home. What can he think, that for three years he has been shunned?

What would we have come from there, from Canada?! So what?! They all had chances, one, two, three, only him, no! It's not normal, not that I'm his father. But what's wrong with him, I don't understand. In the end, probably, we will also leave Romania, that's it, we're going back to Canada!", said Engi Sali, Enes Sali's father, during the return match between Farul and Sheriff Tiraspol.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok...how?

I have thoughts on this too but I see a lot of "Oso should go" without anybody actually saying why - "he's bad" isn't an arguement - don't make me post the Monty Python sketch.
    Besides all that has been said, I will add that our midfield is slow and he isn't helping that. Plus he will get slower and now his decision making has also slowed.

Main question to ask yourself; we want to be a cup contender at some point right? Judging by his current form (say the past 18 months) plus his age, how many teams who are considered legit contenders would take him on at TAM level and have him as a primary starter? That's the answer as to why he should go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is one reason why am I asking for a why on this - you provided reasons - I disagreed with them at the time, but they at least were reasons.

I'm not sure about Oso this year as he has not been as effective. But then the whole squad baring Richie has at times been ineffective.

But people saying "Oso is crap just sell him" to me isn't enough information.
    Jozy was a panic extension after short sighted (clueless) management let Giovinco walk. Also a big underestimation of the synergy between Giovinco and Jozy.

Osorio earned the contract, I feel.

True, we are slow in midfield but I’d like to see how Osorio does with a balanced roster and good coaching. If I’m not wrong, he missed a lot of training camp and then, unfit, started every match, going the full 90, playing on the wing. That was a bit of abuse from BB. He was poor because he’s not an automaton. It took quite a while for him to get fit and back in a groove but when he did he played well:

“OptaJack⚽️
    @OptaJack
    ·
    Follow
    100/2 - Jonathan Osorio completed 105 passes and assisted both goals for @TorontoFC on Saturday.

He's the first player to complete at least 100 passes and assist multiple goals in an MLS match since passing data has been tracked (2010).”

Then an MCL tear that keep him out 5 or 6 weeks and in his return match, with only one game to play with tfc before leaving for Canada he played 90 again. He was good enough but it was more abuse and not surprising he was poor with Canada.

The contract is big but if given a well composed roster to play with and a new season with a competent coach who respects him I think he’ll be good. I see the point of offloading quite a few guys but not him. I agree with Ensco, he’ll be Herdman’s captain, as it should be.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 09-19-2023 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the reason we're hearing more noise re: Osorio is really quite simple.

For a team with as many holes as TFC, it seems unfathomable that we could possibly be right up to the cap, yet here we are. When you look at where we are getting really poor return for our dollar, IMO he's top 3 alongside Rosted and Petretta. Not to mention at his age, he's a depreciating asset.

He's not having the kind of impact on games that he once did. Most of 2023 unless you reminded yourself, you could easily forget that he has been on the pitch. Part of the reason behind this is surely that we don't know who we are and how we want to play, so it's difficult to fit him in when we can't even define what he'd be fitting in to.

Further, I think an important distinction is what comes next - rebuild or contending. For those who believe we can rebound and contend again next year, then perhaps he makes sense to be part of that. However, if it's a rebuild/retool year, you need to move assets like Oso to get some assets back for the rebuild.