Page 117 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,510 of 4129
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...EAP0Fo_Wg&s=19

Toronto FC received permission to speak to D.C. United assistant Carl Robinson about its head coaching job, DCU officials said today.

However, "Carl stressed he wants to be here, so I don't think he's going anywhere," Wayne Rooney said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...EAP0Fo_Wg&s=19

Toronto FC received permission to speak to D.C. United assistant Carl Robinson about its head coaching job, DCU officials said today.

However, "Carl stressed he wants to be here, so I don't think he's going anywhere," Wayne Rooney said.
    We're all over this one in the coach thread already, I believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/s...81450497806492

Singh X'ing (That's a thing now I guess) that Dunfield seems to be implying he wants to get Seba onto the pitch, somehow

So it's come to this. I suppose given the seasons a write off throwing him out there for 5 minutes for an ovation and maybe even a free kick couldn't hurt us, I'd just hate to see him play more than that and get embarassed if he's completely fallen off

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/s...81450497806492

Singh X'ing (That's a thing now I guess) that Dunfield seems to be implying he wants to get Seba onto the pitch, somehow

So it's come to this. I suppose given the seasons a write off throwing him out there for 5 minutes for an ovation and maybe even a free kick couldn't hurt us, I'd just hate to see him play more than that and get embarassed if he's completely fallen off

My gawd, Dunfield is in an effin time machine along with every other pundit that has James Sharman's phone #.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be fine with a 1-day contract kind of thing - even a game to play. Retire a red. Sure, fuck it. All of us singing Seven Nation Army again. I like it.
    He should have retired here in the first place. The guy is one of us now, a Canadian. His family is Canadian now. He is part of TFC forever.

I know that nowadays everyone in the world has been infected by Reagan and is obsessed with neoliberal business metrics, but the best of soccer has always been sentimental to me.

Definitely nothing that extends anywhere near next year.
    Last edited by wopchop; 08-18-2023 at 05:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok so what happens if Seba comes back and things magically turn around?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My price for being excited about Seba is getting Ashtone Morgan on the field for the same game.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    My price for being excited about Seba is getting Ashtone Morgan on the field for the same game.
    Nice. A proper, extended and overdue testimonial.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Karpf View Post
    then you wake up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Karpf View Post
    The man cant play anymore. People need to realize he hasn't played or scored a goal in 3 years!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valdal View Post
    The man cant play anymore. People need to realize he hasn't played or scored a goal in 3 years!
    We haven't scored a free kick since he left. Seems like a great match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The line between

remember the good old days of Dunfield & DeRo
    &
    remember the good old days of Jozy & Seba

that line is paper thin

I would hope we all understand that MLS circa 2010-2013 is not relevant to MLS circa 2023-2025

Same goes for 2015-2018

Be magnanimous in remembering

Be ruthless in what is needed now & in the future
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-19-2023 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The line between

remember the good old days of Dunfield & DeRo
    &
    remember the good old days of Jozy & Seba

that line is paper thin

I would hope we all understand that MLS circa 2010-2013 is not relevant to MLS circa 2023-2025

Same goes for 2015-2018

Be magnanimous in remembering

Be ruthless in what is needed now & in the future
    The problem with this club is that nostalgia isn't limited to the fans it is coursing through the veins of management, need a gm -former player-need a manager-former player, can't score a goal-bring back Dero, can't compete/sell a ticket/provide excitement-bring back Seba

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    The problem with this club is that nostalgia isn't limited to the fans it is coursing through the veins of management, need a gm -former player-need a manager-former player, can't score a goal-bring back Dero, can't compete/sell a ticket/provide excitement-bring back Seba
    If we were Bayern...maybe...and even then Bayern only bring along people who are ruthless about what is needed today.

Neat stories from the past don't put goals in nets

Fun bro - podcasts don't develop talent

We are as bro/friend/colleague centred as US football, and maybe more so because of the ethnic enclaves in this game that still exist - but we don't even realise it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If we were Bayern...maybe...and even then Bayern only bring along people who are ruthless about what is needed today.

Neat stories from the past don't put goals in nets

Fun bro - podcasts don't develop talent

We are as bro/friend/colleague centred as US football, and maybe more so because of the ethnic enclaves in this game that still exist - but we don't even realise it.
    Bayern care about winning, the fans expect it-the fans demand it-MLSE does not have that expectation or desire

I'll say this for JH, as much as I hate they went the former player route, I do like that he went to Africa and Germany for new attacking options, moving beyond the comfortable traditional recruitment grounds- maybe JH will be an in house option that pans out

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayern care about winning, the fans expect it-the fans demand it-MLSE does not have that expectation or desire

I'll say this for JH, as much as I hate they went the former player route, I do like that he went to Africa and Germany for new attacking options, moving beyond the comfortable traditional recruitment grounds- maybe JH will be an in house option that pans out
    he seems in touch with MLS 3.0 and the need to use the various squad building mechanisms to build a good team, as well as go fairly deep with analytics.

bob was very much mls 1.0 in terms of recruitment (players he knew, couple stars, players on recommendations from friends).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    We haven't scored a free kick since he left.
    Certainly miss the excitement of Seba free kicks but we have had some since

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dopx-dRaqxc

https://youtu.be/OtKcv-styB0

https://youtu.be/Qr5ggd0XSX0
    Last edited by red-o; 08-19-2023 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Found another

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a right way and a wrong way to do this stuff. Leiweke brought back Dero. I would say this was less for the player value, more as a peace offering and to pave over the narrative of “club screws most notable hometown player”. It didn’t hurt the team to have him come off the bench. It was a good story and functional.

What we are trying today is basically throwing darts in the dark and trying to get fans drunk off memberberrries (south park reference).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    We haven't scored a free kick since he left. Seems like a great match.
    he's barely scored a free kick since he left

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we have nothing to play for (we can’t even “play the kids” since we know that's hopeless too) I kind of get this Seba thing.

I mean, I would rather see that, and talk about that, than have endless discussions about whether Servania is an RB.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Since we have nothing to play for (we can’t even “play the kids” since we know that's hopeless too) I kind of get this Seba thing.

I mean, I would rather see that, and talk about that, than have endless discussions about whether Servania is an RB.
    At least Servania has a future playing football going forward. Adding Giovinco now is like bringing in a great singer to star in an evening showcase on a sinking luxury liner. Absolutely pointless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    At least Servania has a future playing football going forward. Adding Giovinco now is like bringing in a great singer to star in an evening showcase on a sinking luxury liner. Absolutely pointless.
    It could be worse. I saw the Who on their “Farewell Tour” in 1982.

They are still touring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I was vehemently opposed to a potential return of Seba before now, but after watching most of the roster check out and give up this season I’m not sure I could criticize a player that is fighting, grinding, and clawing for an opportunity to represent the badge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think adding Seba is a pointless distraction from turning the team into something competitive. Just because the season is done is no reason to waste time or take part in pointless PR exercises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, if Seba in a substitute role keeps Sapong off the pitch, fuck it, fine. Talk about players with nothing left in the tank. Seba would have to come back as an Over-40 houseleague bum to be a worse watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think adding Seba is a pointless distraction from turning the team into something competitive. Just because the season is done is no reason to waste time or take part in pointless PR exercises.
    It is. Yet, I understand the opportunity, possibility, and need for it for the remainder of this season. That is, so long as a new coach is not set and incoming shortly nor 'selected informally' for the off-season but back-channelling his desires/build.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-19-2023 at 09:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah there's just no way a guy who hasn't played for the best part of two years will be near the level.

Sapong has 1 goal all season but he can at least run and compete physically. This is just going to be sad to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys all seeing the outpouring of love from South Africans on any TFC post?

Check the Facebook post with the photos. Every picture has little engagement. The photo with Mailua has hundreds of comments and thousands of likes.

It's fun to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

Check the Facebook post with the photos. Every picture has little engagement. The photo with Mailua has hundreds of comments and thousands of likes.

It's fun to see
    Really hope he succeeds. TFC are probably bigger in South Africa currently than in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post

It's fun to see
    I posted this a couple of pages back. It's an example of what you're talking about and I thought it was comical but absolutely heartwarming at the same time. I'm gonna say TFC will be big in South Africa if this guy hits it off with us ... lol ...

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Scrolling through Facebook and got a chuckle reading the comments on all the pictures in the album. They love their "Cash No Deposit" ... lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...03921838416454