Page 21 of 138 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    People on twitter saying Kerr will be dealt before Mondays deadline I'm just not sure how accurate this account is.
    I can see it. He has potential and he has a good nose for goal. He's not much use in the buildup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just know what is going to happen, right?

Kerr traded for Garber $

Kerr scores

"FIRE THEM ALL!!!!"

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People on twitter saying Kerr will be dealt before Mondays deadline I'm just not sure how accurate this account is.
    what account?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    what account?
    the ivy guy who makes stuff up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He’d probably be a lot easier to move than Ayo’s relatively large salary… but unless something substantial comes in return I’m not why we would. He’s on the reserve roster.

Speaking of Ayo, what does it involve moving him? Someone has to take on his 600,000$ salary and presumably they also have to have an under 22 initiative spot open? How long is his contract with us. I think he’s already 23. It would have to be someone who really believes in his potential unless we’re paying part of his salary.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    He’d probably be a lot easier to move than Ayo’s relatively large salary… How long is his contract with us. I think he’s already 23. .
    He is the new Jozy so maybe another 7 years of 1 year contract extensions.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 04-20-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He is the new Jozy so maybe another 7 years of 1 year contract extensions.
    Our being blind to the fact that Giovinco was going to leave rather than take substantially less money (the MLS operates in a bubble model) left Jozy as our only goal scorer. Had we resigned Giovinco I’m pretty sure Jozy was gone. He wasn’t resigning for less than he got. Ayo has yet to do anything much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our being blind to the fact that Giovinco was going to leave rather than take substantially less money (the MLS operates in a bubble model) left Jozy as our only goal scorer. Had we resigned Giovinco I’m pretty sure Jozy was gone. He wasn’t resigning for less than he got. Ayo has yet to do anything much.
    Substantially less money than the Saudis but slightly more than his previous MLS deal. He wasn't being lowballed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Firmino is signing in Turkey. That dream is dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Looks like Firmino is signing in Turkey. That dream is dead.
    I like him but I was hoping we would target some young unknown guy from some obscure league or Buskas (who fit that bill before his Revs move).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Substantially less money than the Saudis but slightly more than his previous MLS deal. He wasn't being lowballed.
    Hang on. Nope.

I remember all this like it was yesterday. This issue is the one that caused Seba to burn his bridge home.

The TFC offer to extend was below the deal Seba was on. The unknown part was, how far below. There was a big argument in social media and afterwards because Seba said publicly afterwards "I would have taken less to stay" and Manning specifically said that at no point was Seba willing to take less than the $7M he was then on, to stay.

I think Manning clearly did the right thing with Seba, btw. Seba wasn't being "lowballed" but he sure wasn't being offered anything like his previous MLS deal.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-21-2023 at 10:06 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hang on. Nope.

I remember all this like it was yesterday. This issue is the one that caused Seba to burn his bridge home.

The TFC offer to extend was below the deal Seba was on. The unknown part was, how far below. There was a big argument in social media and afterwards because Seba said publicly afterwards "I would have taken less to stay" and Manning specifically said that at no point was Seba willing to take less than the $7M he was then on, to stay.

I think Manning clearly did the right thing with Seba, btw. Seba wasn't being "lowballed" but he sure wasn't being offered anything like his previous MLS deal.
    He was offered less, I think that was clear at the time. And so, initially, was Jozy who was asked in a TSN interview before Giovinco left if he was staying and said “you can just feel it” when you’re not wanted. Well, when G (predictably) left Jozy was suddenly wanted very much.

The negotiations with both were botched. Not surprising the result with Jozy. That was some seriously 2nd rate management concerning 1st rate players.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was offered less, I think that was clear at the time. And so, initially, was Jozy who was asked in a TSN interview before Giovinco left if he was staying and said “you can just feel it” when you’re not wanted. Well, when G (predictably) left Jozy was suddenly wanted very much.

The negotiations with both were botched. Not surprising the result with Jozy. That was some seriously 2nd rate management concerning 1st rate players.
    Those were botched negotiations. We discussed it ad nauseam. Waiting until they had six months left was amateur hour.

btw for Raps fans, some strong parallels between the Seba situation in 2019, and what happened with Nick Nurse in the last two months here....
    Last edited by ensco; 04-21-2023 at 10:54 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Those were botched negotiations. We discussed it ad nauseam. Waiting until they had six months left was amateur hour.
    Yeah, unfortunately for us, TFC pretty much got what they deserved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I wonder what Lolo is doing right now?
    Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude... Mamah, Lolo... you can't give your own nicknames to prominent people and expect the rest of us to know who you're talking about! It has to be when we're already talking about them if you're going to do that (the sole reason i know who 'mamah' is), or it just leaves a bunch of us scratching our head and googling "Lolo." No, I don't think we want to sign retired 38-year-old Spanish defensive midfielder Manuel Jesus "Lolo" Ortiz Toribo as a striker. Or the four other retired Lolos, the only footballers who come up when I google that name. Context, dude. Context is very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I thought it was just me who didn't know 95% of the nicknames our players had and I was too afraid to ask
    I lack tact.
    He still hasn't told us who Lolo is. I'm trying to treat it like it isn't a trivia ear worm currently driving me mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    It’s Insigne, no? I think he was hinting about watching the Napoli game this afternoon.
    See, totally out of context to a discussion in the player thread about getting a new striker. I thought I'd seen that nickname for him somewhere on the board before, but I didn't get the link. Forgot the second legs were today.
    Seemed to have somehow overlooked this exchange. Aaawkwwward. Please know there was no intention on my part, I did not mean, to instigate anyone into an unnecessary search tangent. Regret any frustrations caused. I believe everyone from time to time posts into the wrong thread and/or out of context; mea culpa. If I do not understand, I usually just ignore. But yes, it was in relation to Insigne and Napoli's UEFA Champions League match. I admit I am unconventional in how I choose to reference TFC footballers in my posts. Interchanging regularly between their first, middle, last and nick names and derivatives thereof. I am not sure this warrants yucking my yums even though it may make it challenging for some to follow. Moreover, just because one is unaware or it is not common knowledge, certainly does not mean I've made up or given 'my own' nick names to players. Be assured I have not. For the community’s enlightenment, as far as I am aware Richie's full legal name is Richmond Mamah Laryea. Richmond being his first name, 'Mamah' likely being his Ghanaian middle name but possibly his maternal last name and Laryea his last name. Richie seems to be his nickname. 'God Knows' I welcome any further clarification by any member on this aspect. As for Insigne, well, I must clarify with, and apologize to, the community. It seems while phonetically correct, I have been misspelling this one of his several nicknames. This Lorenzo Insigne nickname does not involve one l but two. Therefore, not Lolo, but Lollo. I beg everyone's forgiveness. I knew, by ear, certain contingents of the Partenopei commonly referred to him as Lollo. I suspect it is a first name derivative term of endearment like 'Fede' for Federico Bernardeschi. I believe they have been calling Insigne this for more than a decade. At least since some tifosi of Napoli realized the 'baller he was and would be, before those in the rest of Italy came to know him, and before the rest of Europe and the world understood that. Unfortunately, for some reason I believed it was spelled Lolo. Never bothered to actually double-check the spelling; a brain-fart on my part. Oddly, I knew there is another Italian player, a SerieB/C lifer, named Lorenzo Lollo; go figure! Anyways, going forward I will utilize the correct spelling. If anyone needs actual corroboration besides my word, simply search Lollo Insigne in Twitter and viola... many/enough posts?

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 04-22-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Manning on MMTIFT with host Nicholas Fiore... 'I love TFC, I've learned to love the Argos'. I am a 'football' President; pun intended. Suggests TFC defense among MLS best and the offense is working itself out? I think he believes 'l'attcco fa partite e la difesa da campionati... the attack makes games and the defense gives championships'? On Richie... did he seem to sound optimistic the sitch will work itself out in TFC's favour?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 04-22-2023 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting stuff from Singh’s column:

“The TFC Head Coach and Sporting Director re-iterated that the club doesn’t have much salary budget space to “go out and get players,” meaning that for Toronto FC to make any additions, there’ll likely need to be a corresponding subtraction.

But it’s not like Toronto has many expendable pieces on its roster that would either free up salary budget space or bring back allocation money in return.

One name to watch on that front, however, is Deandre Kerr. Toronto would likely rather not trade the 20-year-old homegrown striker, who has shown plenty of promise, but it may be the best way for the team to recoup assets to acquire a more established striker – the same way that they dealt fellow homegrowns Jacob Shaffelburg and Luca Petrasso.

Kerr was mysteriously absent from training this past week. Bradley said that Kerr was “in the building” on Thursday but was “still recovering from not feeling great for a few days,” however, he wasn’t listed on the team’s weekly injury report.

Last season, he offered a similar explanation when Ralph Priso was absent from training, just hours before trading away the young Canadian to the Colorado Rapids in a trade for Mark-Anthony Kaye last season. I haven’t heard anything directly linking Kerr’s name to a trade, but it’s just something to monitor.

Another interesting name to watch is Ayo Akinola. The Canadian national team striker has been shopped by Toronto FC for almost a year now, but there hasn’t been another team in MLS that’s been willing to fork up much in return.

Could Toronto hold off this window and wait until the summer, when only 50 per cent of the salary of incoming players counts towards the cap, to make a further addition? Even then, there’s no guarantees, and it appears Bradley isn’t a big fan of going the route of making mid-season acquisitions.

“The other part of the summer window that’s a challenge is just the history in MLS shows that when you get guys in the summer, by the time they get here, have they been playing? Have they been training? Are they fit? Adjustment to the league. It’s not always perfect, that’s for sure. We saw that last year,” said Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The circa 48 hour transfer watch has begun; Kerr and/or Akinola? On the bench but they did not play. On alert with their social medias; who they suddenly follow and/or who suddenly follows them. IIRC, JJ/Dallas offered somewhere between a 12 to 18 hour overnight indication.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our backup keeper is now injured

Hugo Mbongue did score in the match

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully it is not too serious, TFC has a busy next couple weeks with three home games in 10 days including 2 in four days before a road game in Montreal. Fully expect our backup GK to get their first start of the season during that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Our backup keeper is now injured

Hugo Mbongue did score in the match

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC have 2 glaring issues: a CDM and a striker.

Ayo Akinola is an albatross for TFC. He makes 600k a year, constantly looks overweight and absolutely sucks at soccer. TFC have been trying to shop him for a long time and there’s a reason no one wants him, he sucks.

Even if a miracle transpired and TFC moved him, the other team would make TFC eat most of his contract and so there would be no cap relief.

Diomande has barely played double digits in games each of the last 2 years. In his limited time at TFC when he hasn’t been injured, he’s looked unimpressive.

I’ve been clamouring on this board for the last 2 years for a CDM destroyer as teams can drive a truck through our midfield whenever they please. Obviously Bob Bradley doesn’t see it that way. I have no idea how.

Building the team with 2 expensive wingers while ignoring the spine of the team is not the way to build a great team.

It took a year for Bob Bradley to fix the GK and center back positions but it doesn’t count for much if opposition teams keeps ramming the ball back down our throats through the midfield every time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a Bob Bradley fan but it's clear that we need to start winning.

Showing progress and not losing most games is fine for a bit but 1 win in 9 is not, and we need to turn it around quickly starting Saturday which I view as a must win.

Also if this team doesn't bring in a starting 9 this summer I truly question the vision.

Everyone can see a good 9 would push the team onto the next level and make a huge difference.

Alternatively it's hard to succeed in MLS without a consistent goalscorer at 9.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused about the MLS primary transfer window closing. I keep reading there is pressure to make moves during this window. Is this the window we would have to add another DP? Isn't there another in the summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused about the MLS primary transfer window closing. I keep reading there is pressure to make moves during this window. Is this the window we would have to add another DP? Isn't there another in the summer?
    There is another window that opens July 5, but it's more of a too little too late view. We have 14 games between now and the next window opening, then only 12 league games after that. By the time next window opens, teams could be out of contention for a realistic playoff chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    There is another window that opens July 5, but it's more of a too little too late view. We have 14 games between now and the next window opening, then only 12 league games after that. By the time next window opens, teams could be out of contention for a realistic playoff chance.
    None of the summer windows are open though so who are we going to get now?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

None of the summer windows are open though so who are we going to get now?
    MLS trade most likely. Not much around anywhere else unless some random out of contract guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS trade most likely. Not much around anywhere else unless some random out of contract guy.
    So realistically if we're getting a third DP, he's coming in our secondary window, once other leagues' summer window opens. So this current window isn't the be all and end all? I'm ust confused by the number of people I've seen say teams have to make a move this week before it closes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tremors at TFC FO? The earth cracking beneath certain feet? Scapegoating? Getting out of Dodge, while the getting is good?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting is good going from scouting to overall sporting director.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Getting is good going from scouting to overall sporting director.
    He sure as fuck wasn't doing much as our head of scouting.