Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I hope we start Servania as a 6 this week.

-------------Johnson--------------
    Laryea---Hedges--Rosted---Petretta
    --------Servania--Bradley----------
    ---Bernie----Oso----Insgine---
    ------------Diomande-------------

We play with twin pivots, one of whom stays back whenever the other is up, tilting the pitch to the ball being on the 'strong' side. We play slightly narrower, emphasising our advantage at close interplay (similar to how we played in the second half) but still allowing space for the wingers to push out, thereby dragging the defense slightly that way and opening up more space inside.

It's not complex or creative, it's a bog-standard but effective tactical setup. Plus, when Michael stayed further back in the second half, this is basically the formation we ended up playing, with the second midfielder as an 8 and the high player, usually Oso, in the slot.

Rotate Bradly, Oso and Kaye, use Servania's 23 year old legs to wreck a little.

100% agree with this lineup.

Obvious subs:

Kaye for Bradley / Servania
    Victor for Osorio.
    Akinola for Diomande.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Could this be the figure/s you are referencing? Click the bottom graph to expand for the more relevant details.

EXACTLY - thanks

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we start Servania as a 6 this week....

Agree with this post but the starters seem nailed on - that's a problem in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Mostly agreed on this, however there's an exception when continuity is thrown into the equation. Philly and Seattle and some examples of how this can actually be an asset in this league.

I'd almost rephrase it as stubborn coaches are a problem in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Agree with this post but the starters seem nailed on - that's a problem in this league.
    I found it a bit eery how much KC looked like us tactically last night. Bob and Vermes don't have any history do they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    This to me would seem like a positive thing, if it were serious it would be more easily identified.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope we start Servania as a 6 this week.

If DC didn't have so much time on transition last week -- we rotate to defensive positions very, very slowly -- I don't think there'd be a question of the better team.

The tactics don't fit our team, in other words.

What I'd like to see.

-------------Johnson--------------
    Laryea---Hedges--Rosted---Petretta
    --------Servania--Bradley----------
    ---Bernie----Oso----Insgine---
    ------------Diomande-------------

(LONG POST)
    This post pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    100% agree with this lineup.

Obvious subs:

Kaye for Bradley / Servania
    Victor for Osorio.
    Akinola for Diomande.
    Agree too
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Insigne come play in the central attacking role more often. Sometimes we have him isolated too much on the wing with our slow pace. This variant could have worked better if we kept Shaff which Im still surprised by.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 02-28-2023 at 02:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with Jloome’s post. I just wish there was an easy way to get Laryea further up the field. Canada has used him a number of different ways and he’s looked versatile. We we could use that speed when attacking more often but the issue is there’s nobody to cover right back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed with Jloome’s post. I just wish there was an easy way to get Laryea further up the field. Canada has used him a number of different ways and he’s looked versatile. We we could use that speed when attacking more often but the issue is there’s nobody to cover right back.
    We could also try the 343 (3421) ala Forest. Wingback runs all game but the extra defender helps cover for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a positive that Insigne didn't fly to Italy to get it checked out by his roster of docs there.

If it was really serious he might well have done that.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Nobody with an Insigne injury premonition freakout for hours?

This is one zen group here. Namaste.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We could also try the 343 (3421) ala Forest. Wingback runs all game but the extra defender helps cover for it.
    I’d like to see this tried. Richie is a bit of a waste of a huge (loan) contract if not playing wingback. And if/when Insigne is out he’s also our second best winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Really? Nobody with an Insigne injury premonition freakout for hours?

This is one zen group here. Namaste.
    I'm really hoping that he just felt something in his groin, came off quickly, and then upon review there's nothing serious there and he just needs to rest a week or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm really hoping that he just felt something in his groin, came off quickly, and then upon review there's nothing serious there and he just needs to rest a week or something.
    Some of us are developing a nihilistic streak about this club. My first thought was "so?" Injured, not injured, it feels like we'd find ways to lose if we brought over the rest of Napoli.

I know that's bleak, but I think we have systemic issues: in management in particular, but also in tactical approach, in chemistry in the dressing room and between players, in how we spend and the resultant depth, in training quality and youth development, where we seem to badly lag teams like Dallas and Philly.

It just feels like they believe they can redo the chemistry of Giovinco/Altidore/Bradley by buying three expensive players every three years. I was watching parts of the Austin/St. Louis game and marvelling at how much better, across the board, their NON dp players were than what we generally put out.

Our model has been passed by; other teams are bringing in Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 players as regulars, because they're NOT overpaying, and they're using TAM wisely, and they have much more roster balance as a result.

I can guarantee you we won't get that same chemistry with two players accounting for $20M in salary, a captain who is the manager's son, and a bunch of oft-confused looking kids.

We're tactically trying to set up like we'll be able to control the ball in their end for an entire match, and that will NEVER happen in this league. I also get the same arrogant complete self-confidence vibe from Bob that I got from Jesse Marsch during his Leeds pressers, the same hubris.

He would sometimes talk about doubt and concern, but he never once swayed in his singular tactical approach and he gave glib responses to "unworthy" journalists asking things like "why don't we employ width tactically" (Marsch's answer was that the goal is in the middle of the pitch, which is momentarily clever but realistically stupid.)

Given that Marsch was an early Bob coaching disciple from their time at Chicago Fire, perhaps that's not surprising. But I suspect the "suck it up" tough guy exterior has not sold particularly well past MLS 2.0.

It just doesn't feel like the right direction yet, despite the tangible roster improvements this season.

I will be greatly appreciative and enthusiastic if I'm wrong and we're 4-1 in four games, but I have my doubts. We have to deal with Thiago Almada this week. If he gets the kind of time to shoot that Klisch got, we're doomed.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-01-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It is a positive that Insigne didn't fly to Italy to get it checked out by his roster of docs there. If it was really serious he might well have done that.
    Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Probably a positive that such an immediate measure wasn't taken; hasn't yet? Though, it is possible he may have to make that journey. I think the situation is/was still under assessment by TFC. I hope they have some clarity by today; even if it is not shared. I re-watched some footage of Lolo's injury. Noticed... Lolo actually did not seem to touch either the back of his lower leg-calf muscle nor the back of his upper leg- hamstring muscles. It did seem, even if the view was obstructed/not frontal, that he possibly was touching/feeling/messaging his left inner thigh- groin; @ about 0:33 sec.? Also, although I know captains regularly talk to their managers during matches, MBradley's jog over and body language when he engaged his father during Lolo's injury stoppage time had an aura of an 'assistant coach' exchange to me; @ about 0:16 sec.?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/loren...er-with-injury

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I would like to see... perhaps a half of some 'out of position' football... with interim double pivot 'legs'...

--------------Johnson--------------
    Laryea-Hedges-McNaughton-Petretta
    --------Servania---Rosted----------
    -Bernardeschi--Osorio----Akinola----
    -------------Diomande-------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as this is Atlanta and they will cause midfield problems for us, I would bench Bradley, shift Osorio into his spot, and start Servania. I would drop Servania in the Bradley spot but he's new and I am not sure he will 100% know whatever our system is supposed be whereas Osorio knows it from last year. And then hope for the best because who knows how that will go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree we need to find ways to stay competitive even without LI. Heck 2017 TFC did it for several months with no Giovinco and Jay Chapman pulling strings in midfield.

Edit: the amount of reconstruction that’s gone into this roster should count for something. obviously it’s not going to keep us top-of-the-table competitive but it should be something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Seeing as this is Atlanta and they will cause midfield problems for us, I would bench Bradley, shift Osorio into his spot, and start Servania. I would drop Servania in the Bradley spot but he's new and I am not sure he will 100% know whatever our system is supposed be whereas Osorio knows it from last year. And then hope for the best because who knows how that will go.
    I agree. One of either Bradley or Kaye should be benched as we need speed and legs. I'd start Bradley though as he had a great 2nd half in the first game when he dropped further back.

Assuming LI is injured, my starting lineup:

Laryea-Hedges-Rosted-Petretta
    --------Servania---Bradley----------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. One of either Bradley or Kaye should be benched as we need speed and legs. I'd start Bradley though as he had a great 2nd half in the first game when he dropped further back.

The more I look at the start XI grid the more my brain keeps yelling at me 4-4-2 with Ayo up top with Diomande.

I know that's not the Bradley way but I wouldn't be against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys and your lineups without Bradley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of us are developing a nihilistic streak about this club. My first thought was "so?" Injured, not injured, it feels like we'd find ways to lose if we brought over the rest of Napoli.

I know that's bleak, but I think we have systemic issues: in management in particular, but also in tactical approach, in chemistry in the dressing room and between players, in how we spend and the resultant depth, in training quality and youth development, where we seem to badly lag teams like Dallas and Philly.

It just feels like they believe they can redo the chemistry of Giovinco/Altidore/Bradley by buying three expensive players every three years. I was watching parts of the Austin/St. Louis game and marvelling at how much better, across the board, their NON dp players were than what we generally put out.

Our model has been passed by; other teams are bringing in Bundesliga, La Liga and Ligue 1 players as regulars, because they're NOT overpaying, and they're using TAM wisely, and they have much more roster balance as a result.

I can guarantee you we won't get that same chemistry with two players accounting for $20M in salary, a captain who is the manager's son, and a bunch of oft-confused looking kids.

We're tactically trying to set up like we'll be able to control the ball in their end for an entire match, and that will NEVER happen in this league. I also get the same arrogant complete self-confidence vibe from Bob that I got from Jesse Marsch during his Leeds pressers, the same hubris.

He would sometimes talk about doubt and concern, but he never once swayed in his singular tactical approach and he gave glib responses to "unworthy" journalists asking things like "why don't we employ width tactically" (Marsch's answer was that the goal is in the middle of the pitch, which is momentarily clever but realistically stupid.)

Given that Marsch was an early Bob coaching disciple from their time at Chicago Fire, perhaps that's not surprising. But I suspect the "suck it up" tough guy exterior has not sold particularly well past MLS 2.0.

It just doesn't feel like the right direction yet, despite the tangible roster improvements this season.

I will be greatly appreciative and enthusiastic if I'm wrong and we're 4-1 in four games, but I have my doubts. We have to deal with Thiago Almada this week. If he gets the kind of time to shoot that Klisch got, we're doomed.
    Seems as though there is always going to be an element of showbiz in the MLSE way. They’re after celebrities who they convince to sign by introducing them to other or bigger celebrities. Or it’s the lure of becoming a true celebrity (Bernadeschi and his wife become sort of grotesque celebrity fashion/life style models) which happens, to some degree, by way of the enormous contracts signed. It’s a sort of Hollywood north model that is probably fundamentally unbalanced.

This stuff is entrusted to Manning which is also an unbalancing. It’s as if we have a president (dealing with the few big news signings) and a sporting director (everything else) but no proper GM. The idea of balance seems to come from Bradley at least when he suggests that maybe the under 22 way is best. But I wonder if the difficulty of making those signings in this league (during the season) is a bit too high for someone with his hands full coaching.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-01-2023 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks quite reasonable. Diomande doesn’t seem to be able to play the full 90 yet so what’s the formation/eleven when Akinola moves over from the wing?

Also, I’d forgotten that Osorio missed so much of the preseason… it probably accounts for his weak performance. No way he should have still been on in the last 20 mins of the match (including extra time) but he probably knew he was not coming off from the beginning. VV and Kerr being out and Themi not having trained much reduces the already tenuous depth.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 03-01-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    That looks quite reasonable. Diomande doesn’t seem to be able to play the full 90 yet so what’s the formation/eleven when Akinola moves over from the wing?

Also, I’d forgotten that Osorio missed so much of the preseason… it probably accounts for his weak performance. No way he should have still been on in the last 20 mins of the match (including extra time) but he probably knew he was not coming off from the beginning. VV and Kerr being out and Themi not having trained much reduces the already tenuous depth.
    I agree on Osorio.. that was something BB maybe should have realized. Even if he just took Osorio off and subbed in MacNaughton.. Played with 5 in the back. I get maybe he doesn't want to break shape but needed fresh legs to close out the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree on Osorio.. that was something BB maybe should have realized. Even if he just took Osorio off and subbed in MacNaughton.. Played with 5 in the back. I get maybe he doesn't want to break shape but needed fresh legs to close out the game.
    Yeah, I get Bradley’s sense that ‘these guys have just made a good comeback’ so we should ride them to the end. But the better response would have been to relieve them with fresh legs. At the very beginning of the season and with Osorio who hasn’t trained and MB who is 35, well, it would be a small miracle if the midfield didn’t need real help toward the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turf match - passing will be cruddy. This is a game for SJ to shine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Turf match - passing will be cruddy. This is a game for SJ to shine.
    And what an ugly turf pitch it is too....doesn't show well on TV. Wifey going to be complaining about it all game long

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne is in training today, although on his own.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What am I wanting to see this week?

Passion & work hard

What I look forward to watching?

Matt Hedges grow into the leader at the back

Osorio & Laryea do some CONCACAFing that makes Atlanta's South American's lose their shit

Bernie be Bernie

Job done

Add in having a good keeper and ...yeh...job done.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-04-2023 at 09:40 PM.