Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    also i feel like if BB doesnt like someones personality there is no way this player has a chance (i.e maybe shaffleburg)
    I don't think that with Shaff in this case. I think it's because he failed at FB and there was no chance of him (in BB's eyes) to unseat Insigne for 5 years so might as well move him on as he is too young to bury plus you could get something for him.

But I do think that if an attitude comes up then BB has a doghouse and that player is in it until he is dumped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think that with Shaff in this case. I think it's because he failed at FB and there was no chance of him (in BB's eyes) to unseat Insigne for 5 years so might as well move him on as he is too young to bury plus you could get something for him.

But I do think that if an attitude comes up then BB has a doghouse and that player is in it until he is dumped.
    I somewhat disagree. I think he clearly didn't rate him, or he'd have kept him, because he was focussing on youth being our depth.

Why would he keep underperforming youth as depth but not Shaffelburg? When we gave him to Nashville, he was already a $2M rated player by Transfermarkt for having scored six goals for the senior team at age 22. It's not like he wasn't effective or -- the one thing that can't be taught -- fast.

Yeah, he'd have been stuck behind Insigne, but we need whoever is behind our starters to be the best players they can be. He clearly didn't think that was Shaff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I somewhat disagree. I think he clearly didn't rate him, or he'd have kept him, because he was focussing on youth being our depth.

Why would he keep underperforming youth as depth but not Shaffelburg? When we gave him to Nashville, he was already a $2M rated player by Transfermarkt for having scored six goals for the senior team at age 22. It's not like he wasn't effective or -- the one thing that can't be taught -- fast.

Yeah, he'd have been stuck behind Insigne, but we need whoever is behind our starters to be the best players they can be. He clearly didn't think that was Shaff.

yea this one hurts- as he was known to be fast and not skilled enough. I felt like he did develop under BB, the quickness and then some solid crosses creating goals. I felt like he was the youngest player TFC has had who actually shown some growth.

Def could have used him last game and this upcoming game- on a reasonable salary for sure- i dont even think what TFC got in return had much value TBH.

Seemed like a great kid with a good work ethic and attitude. As crazy as it sounds I believe I would have been happy if TFC kept Shafflo and over played him last season and got rid of Nelson - of course my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll put money down now that we end the season with an xG way higher than our goals scored.

His system looks good, but it has serious flaws, I suspect. It's essentially a variant of the high press/gegenpress, just employing some width in transition instead of a 4222 block.

We attack almost exclusively from the top corners of the box, so the defense is a static block, never having to track anyone. There is insufficient movement to create the space needed for chances. And we have two midfielders high, leaving us very vulnerable in transition.

It doesn't work as a tactic unless you have a very skilled, balanced roster that can cut through it with short, quick, accurate passing.

Our interplay is insufficiently skilled to hold possession for long enough to create something through a static defensive block.

And we have a hard time advancing the ball by always playing through Michael.

It's all very inflexible and I dont' think it works. Maybe he'll start changing some things up, but I suspect he's a rigid believer in it.
    I’m going to wait a string of games and let players settle in. That either they play better within the system or there are adaptations to allow this. Last year with a woeful roster (and guys hurt) we were disturbingly predictable and inadequate in the final 3rd. But I don’t remember Bradley’s LAFC looking like that.

Insigne, unless he gets going with his shooting, will be responsible for a lot of the xG difference. Only 20 or 30 mins played in the first match and he missed a fabulous Berna cross. It wasn’t easy but if he was earning his salary it should have been at least closer. Last season he was in the 99 percentile in shots taken… and also at the top in shots missed. That is wasteful especially when we’re not exactly looking masterful in the first third (with the exception of occasional displays of individual skill). That our 2 goals didn’t come from open play against DC was also predictable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    But I don’t remember Bradley’s LAFC looking like that.
    Far more balanced roster. But they still undeperformed their season xG by nine goals in 2021.

I hope you're right and it just hasn't clicked yet. I have doubts that the speed of our midfield makes a 4-3-3 with two high central mids workable. I certainly have doubts we're using our wingbacks enough to draw defenders.

When we were, before the Italians arrived, Jesus Jiminez was seeing the ball in space, and scoring. It wasn't just Poz leaving; half his goals came from Luca Petrasso and Osorio. When he hit the spot, or the post, he always had space around to see and receive the ball, and rarely more than one man on him, because the other team wasn't blocking low with most of their team.

I think we'll see Almada coming in from wide positions this weekend rather than in the hole, as Giakoumakis, their new striker, is deadly in the air.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly have doubts we're using our wingbacks enough to draw defenders.
    Both backs need to really work well work with the Italians. Richie in his press conference this week mentioned that both he and Bernadeschi like to use the same space. Now, maybe that can work because with two mids high we need the backs to only occasionally play the parts of wingback. But if our true danger is coming from the wings/wide play, it can’t just be the Italians alone with the occasional good Diomande run. I think this all might take time to sort out.

The MB ball over the top to Richie was interesting and effective. I want to see Richie really dangerous in the final third (usually that means Richie wide) and I don’t see how we can be completely effective without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect, at the very least, if TFC have the lead in this match, or find themselves in a draw, then they must somehow manage to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can Richie be effective on the left wing if/when Insigne is out?

I've long been frustrated that Berne dampens the runs into the box on the right... seems we have our two most consistent threats on one side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Both backs need to really work well work with the Italians. Richie in his press conference this week mentioned that both he and Bernadeschi like to use the same space. Now, maybe that can work because with two mids high we need the backs to only occasionally play the parts of wingback. But if our true danger is coming from the wings/wide play, it can’t just be the Italians alone with the occasional good Diomande run. I think this all might take time to sort out.

The MB ball over the top to Richie was interesting and effective. I want to see Richie really dangerous in the final third (usually that means Richie wide) and I don’t see how we can be completely effective without it.
    Petretta would be wasted if not more involved. His Swiss and Turkish league highlights were all about creating stuff around the box and getting the odd chance on goal. He seems more a wingback like Richie than a fullback.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    There is also the possibility that his lack of subs is due to having less confidence in what is available on the bench. I think instead of signing Rosted they should have used that money to sign another midfielder. I am not sure if Rosted is any better than O'Neil.
    Can we give a player more than one game before burying him as junk?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm more optimistic than many here. Based on last game, we obviously have the ability to win a game, even when losing initially on the road. Hopefully we can avoid a late game collapse.

I'd love to see Vasquez and even Insigne take the field as subs if they are fit.
    Last edited by Graeme; 03-04-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Can we give a player more than one game before burying him as junk?
    We have a greater need at midfield than at CB. I can't see us contending with that midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Well, I'm more optimistic than many here. Based on last game, we obviously have the ability to win a game, even when losing initially on the road. Hopefully we can avoid a late game collapse.

I'd love to see Vasquez and even Insigne take the field as subs if they are fit.
    I think we can win. I just worry that we only became competitive last week after half-time changes, and looked flat at the front end.

If we play a little more conservatively in the mid field and tighter, so players under pressure have some actual options to outlet the ball, we have lots of talent.

I'm not optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petretta would be wasted if not more involved. His Swiss and Turkish league highlights were all about creating stuff around the box and getting the odd chance on goal. He seems more a wingback like Richie than a fullback.
    Can’t help but wonder if a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 would be a better fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Can’t help but wonder if a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 would be a better fit.
    Yeah the 343 Forest played last year would suit the hell out of us right now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, agreed. We’ve got two wingbacks. And at least Richie, certainly is better attacking than defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the 343 Forest played last year would suit the hell out of us right now
    I have been thinking this as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Atlanta's big DP signing, Giorgios Giakoumakis, is debuting against us tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully the boys show up from the opening whistle tonight in a hostile environment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    Hopefully the boys show up from the opening whistle tonight in a hostile environment.
    I hope so. I think I’d appreciate that more than a win at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly Bob listens to me. Oso on the left, Servania in the middle.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or a 4-2-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks to me this is basically Osorio as Insigne, Servania as Osorio. But what do I know…

Edit, is there no match centre HQ I’m this setup? Feels like kind of a loss. Edit x2, looks like it’s on now.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 03-04-2023 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

watched atlanta in preseason and guzan was terrible...gotta test him from everywhere...long range, tight angles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing scientific here, but based on new potential fans ( via apple ), nobody can afford to start the season on a wrong ( very wrong ) foot

must be a win today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bernie in the middle and Servania on the right? Kaye and Bradley will get torn apart.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not expecting a TFC win minus Insigne but I want to see high effort on the teams part and some good Berna / Vazquez play together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good looking line up! Let's see how Bradley and Kaye work together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple has it as a 4-3-3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting cut apart on the right.