Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I sort of hope Bono doesn't play. I'd feel pretty bad if his debut for a new club was getting crushed 4-0 by TFC.
    I'm really curious what everyone's take will be if the reverse happens. And if in the first half of the season Bono looks like 2017 Bono and our GKs regress... at that point I would start asking even more questions about our GK Coaching staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just two days away. Getting excited now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad the game isn't today. DC high is 25 degrees today

Saturday forecast quite different: 3 degrees at gametime.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Too bad the game isn't today. DC high is 25 degrees today

Saturday forecast quite different: 3 degrees at gametime.
    Good for us, potentially. It hasn't been below 8 as the overnight low there in a week and they had two days above 11 degrees right before the game. So it's going to feel fucking freezing for them.

Can TFC even practise outdoors right now? It's below zero near constantly in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm really curious what everyone's take will be if the reverse happens. And if in the first half of the season Bono looks like 2017 Bono and our GKs regress... at that point I would start asking even more questions about our GK Coaching staff.
    I'd bet a fair chunk that we aren't going to lose 4-0 to DC. And coaching wasn't Alex Bono's problem.

I'd just add that according to everything I've seen, and from Craig Forrest's mouth on his podcast, goalkeeping coaches in MLS are traditionally basically motivators and there to keep the keeper mentally positive, as it's the hardest position to do so.

They don't USUALLY (sometimes, but it's very rare) teach goalkeeping technique at the pro level. That's left to the field coaches. Forest said he had one coach in his entire career who was also a technique coach, and it's not normal for that to be the case.

So people continually assuming -- and it is totally an assumption based on outcomes, not a knowledge of procedure or relative output -- that Conway is shit might be way off base.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or he's just bad at motivating (although I do wonder if GK coaching has changed since Forest was there 20 years ago)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No VV for this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Or he's just bad at motivating (although I do wonder if GK coaching has changed since Forest was there 20 years ago)
    He did qualify it as having talked to many other keepers about it, and it's still very much the case. Each club handles it differently, but the technical expertise is left to someone who's literally an expert in technique.

I know some coaches are more involved than others; traditional managers like Bielsa and Martino like to do quite a bit of on field technical work themselves. But the modern model does seem far more specialized.

And ... yeah, maybe he is bad at motivating. Maybe Bono never shook his yips because he wasn't hearing what he needed to hear. I think a lot of us suspect, as I know you do, that he has a problem with his vision over distance and he sees balls very late.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-23-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    No VV for this game.

If we get 15-20 decent appearances out of VV this season, it'll be worth it. At his age, he's largely a good influence rather than a difference maker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't USUALLY (sometimes, but it's very rare) teach goalkeeping technique at the pro level. That's left to the field coaches. Forest said he had one coach in his entire career who was also a technique coach, and it's not normal for that to be the case.

So people continually assuming -- and it is totally an assumption based on outcomes, not a knowledge of procedure or relative output -- that Conway is shit might be way off base.
    Fair point. However, my son was training as a keeper for 8 years (including OPDL level and Ottawa Fury) and I've had the opportunity to observe a variety of GK coaches over the years, how some of them helped or hindered my son's development with their teaching and motivational techniques. You're right that I could be way off base, but my instincts tell me there is something going on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We start the season:
    DC
    Atlanta
    Columbus
    Miami
    San Jose
    Charlotte

If we're contenders, we're coming out of those six games with 12-15 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We start the season:
    DC
    Atlanta
    Columbus
    Miami
    San Jose
    Charlotte

If we're contenders, we're coming out of those six games with 12-15 points.
    Agree. A more than fair assertion; I think a must.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also... Believe this match is on both Apple and TSN?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Also... Believe this match is on both Apple and TSN?
    That is correct. Both are broadcasting this one

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    That is correct. Both are broadcasting this one
    Wondering if TSN will use their own crew...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Wondering if TSN will use their own crew...
    I think so. Wileman sent a wrap-up tweet for his USWNT coverage of the SheBelieves Cup and ended it with something like "now to head back North for my 17th year of covering MLS as the season gets underway on TSN".

Could mean in studio, I suppose. But that as close to a confirmation that TSN will be using their own crew as we're likely to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so psyched! I'm so happy I can watch these games properly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I think so. Wileman sent a wrap-up tweet for his USWNT coverage of the SheBelieves Cup and ended it with something like "now to head back North for my 17th year of covering MLS as the season gets underway on TSN".

Could mean in studio, I suppose. But that as close to a confirmation that TSN will be using their own crew as we're likely to get.
    Thanks for that. TSN has been in studio for away games for years now. I suppose the fact the TFC game is at the same time as the Miami one might mean TSN prioritizes that match for their local crew.

If not, we get a choice of Caldwell & Wileman using the Apple feed with no pregame (TSN 4 has the afternoon season opener) & who knows what they do with the sound & video quality
    vs
    a lower order Apple crew with full pre & post games & a whip around show option (although that hasn't been shown as an option on MLS Season pass yet) & decent video/sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I have to say is I'm already so happy that Apple has taken over. Watching the preseason match, the quality was soooo much better than my experience streaming with Telus/piktv. I've cancelled that immediately in favour of the Apple package.

Can't wait for the game. I am quite curious how quickly the matches can be replayed. Considering you could restart the match right away even if it was halfway through, I'm optimistic they'll have recordings of each one available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    All I have to say is I'm already so happy that Apple has taken over. Watching the preseason match, the quality was soooo much better than my experience streaming with Telus/piktv. I've cancelled that immediately in favour of the Apple package.

Can't wait for the game. I am quite curious how quickly the matches can be replayed. Considering you could restart the match right away even if it was halfway through, I'm optimistic they'll have recordings of each one available.
    I'm wondering if you can start it at the beginning even if it hasn't finished yet, or do you have to wait until it's fully finished and then watch the replay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had three drinks tonight and am gonna say TFC wins 18-0. Bernie with 14 goals. Alex Bono with 4 OGs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm wondering if you can start it at the beginning even if it hasn't finished yet, or do you have to wait until it's fully finished and then watch the replay.
    So I had free access on the weekend for the friendly and did just this. Worked great. Now could I navigate through without seeing the live score? Not sure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake up, guys. It is game day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wake up, guys. It is game day!
    Still feeling the 18-0 win?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Still feeling the 18-0 win?
    Nah. I know expecting Alex Bono to have 4 OGs is unrealistic. Gonna knock it down to 16-0 now that I am sober.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merry MLSmas, its like waking up and being excited to see what is to come, with the first present we get to open against DCU, may it be a great season ahead

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dog has thoughts that he is processing...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^i hope there is only one level of visual impairment issues going on here!
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else in the Collingwood area?? I'm going to call/stop by The Beaver & Bulldog this afternoon to confirm they'll be showing the game (it is on at the exact same time as the Leafs game unfortunately).

Would be nice to watch the game with others who might be in the southern georgian bay area!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Anyone else in the Collingwood area?? I'm going to call/stop by The Beaver & Bulldog this afternoon to confirm they'll be showing the game (it is on at the exact same time as the Leafs game unfortunately).

Would be nice to watch the game with others who might be in the southern georgian bay area!
    No Leafs game tonight as they played last night and play again tomorrow against the Kraken @ 7PM, so no excuses to not support the boys, if your able, lol
    Last edited by gracos; 02-25-2023 at 10:04 AM.