Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day 1 -TFC @ DC United - Saturday Feb 25 7:30pm - Believe, Believe

That you're not stuck in vain

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supposed to be cold with a chance of flurries. Gonna go for a 1-1 draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Supposed to be cold with a chance of flurries. Gonna go for a 1-1 draw.
    Tough game, depending on how DC's new pieces click. For the first time in several years, our principle advantage will be our defence.

They have Benteke upfront and fountas, so very dangerous, and a midfield with canouse, klisch and durkin, which is going to be very tough to play though.

We have a strong advantage on the wings and defence, a slight edge in goal (if Miller starts), a disadvantage up front, a slight disadvantage through the middle (to m, their mid three is stronger than ours. Klisch is a very, very dangerous midfielder both as an assist guy and a scorer. Canouse and Durkin are better on the tackle than MB and MAK).

I'm going to go 2-0 to the good guys. Good D beats strong central offense, good wing play keeps their stars at bay.

It would make sense for us to adjust and play more of a defensive counter, rather than trying to hold the play in their end and break them down. We have a speed advantage on both wings and will do better against poorer defenses when we isolate them in transition, rather than trying to break down a low block.

If we sit high all game and try to pen them in, we'll struggle to contain Benteke and Fountas and will become vulnerable in transition.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-20-2023 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might be off topic, but I thought I heard that Apple TV+ would have a free preview weekend this week. I was ready to subscribe until I watched the LA-TOR game feed. If that is the quality of coverage they are offering, then I’m not interested. Has anyone heard about the opening weekend being a free preview?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC John View Post
    This might be off topic, but I thought I heard that Apple TV+ would have a free preview weekend this week. I was ready to subscribe until I watched the LA-TOR game feed. If that is the quality of coverage they are offering, then I’m not interested. Has anyone heard about the opening weekend being a free preview?
    Yes, there is a free preview weekend, as am noticing on MLSSoccer.com on games scheduled it states "Apple TV- Free" so i have to believe it will be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As has been noted, Apple's windows browser is locked at 480p but their signal is true 1080p, degrading the quality and leading to compression artifacts.

Viewed through a dedicated app or player, it's a lot better. Also, some people's apps had defaulted to turning off the 'spoiler' score ticker, whereas some of us had the score up for the whole game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hard believing. 3-1 Toronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Viewed through a dedicated app or player, it's a lot better. Also, some people's apps had defaulted to turning off the 'spoiler' score ticker, whereas some of us had the score up for the whole game.
    I watched the app with my Nvidia Shield Pro (Android) as I do normally also for DAZN and FuboTV. I thought image quality looked fantastic for the TFC game for me. Used to maxing out at 720p for the other footy apps so this was a nice change. Regarding the scoreboard it was not there for the 1st half for me but showed up early into the 2nd half if I recall but I just put it down to the production issues they seemed to be having. Part of the halftime they had the audio of some replays for me but no video. Can't believe the production people are in preseason mode too. Hopefully they get it together for the season kickoff weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I watched the app with my Nvidia Shield Pro (Android) as I do normally also for DAZN and FuboTV. I thought image quality looked fantastic for the TFC game for me. Used to maxing out at 720p for the other footy apps so this was a nice change. Regarding the scoreboard it was not there for the 1st half for me but showed up early into the 2nd half if I recall but I just put it down to the production issues they seemed to be having. Part of the halftime they had the audio of some replays for me but no video. Can't believe the production people are in preseason mode too. Hopefully they get it together for the season kickoff weekend.
    Yeah, I think everyone had the "no video" issue during the highlights. I must've turned it on early, and for some reason it did not switch to the pre-game show, just showed a black and white image. But apparently there was one. I had to refresh to get the game too, and it was a minute deep already. So they're definitely having platform issues.

Of greater concern to me was the generally banal commentary and color. Truly weak. It's going to be a great shame if MLS goes from the like of Wileman, Kilbane and Arlo White to dudes that sound like they could've been snagged out of any sports bar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was the opposite. On my Firestick with the app running, the picture was sharper than I recall the MLS Cup final being and better than anything TSN ever showed MLS wise. I was pretty impressed by it. More than I expected to be and that was preseason. Wasn't impressed with the Apple commentators but I am rarely impressed with most of them.

Also I fell into the no score/time ticker category but somehow I fixed it by screwing around.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of greater concern to me was the generally banal commentary and color. Truly weak. It's going to be a great shame if MLS goes from the like of Wileman, Kilbane and Arlo White to dudes that sound like they could've been snagged out of any sports bar.
    The audio level was also not adjusted correctly all game long. Really surprised by the amateur like production given all the fuss they tried to make about this. Hopefully it gets better. I will give them a pass since it was preseason and it was just nice to see a game instead of nothing at all so trying not to complain really. For the commentating I didn't really know what to expect but felt like most American broadcasts I hear. Would be nice if we would get the same crew of people calling TFC so they get to actually know the team vs looking at a stat sheet only. You didn't miss much with the pregame show. Just a few MLS pundits looking uncomfortable and giving their 2 cents on each team in 20 seconds or less for the most part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    The audio level was also not adjusted correctly all game long. Really surprised by the amateur like production given all the fuss they tried to make about this. Hopefully it gets better. I will give them a pass since it was preseason and it was just nice to see a game instead of nothing at all so trying not to complain really. For the commentating I didn't really know what to expect but felt like most American broadcasts I hear. Would be nice if we would get the same crew of people calling TFC so they get to actually know the team vs looking at a stat sheet only. You didn't miss much with the pregame show. Just a few MLS pundits looking uncomfortable and giving their 2 cents on each team in 20 seconds or less for the most part.
    They also mixed up Jonathan Osorio and Jesus Jimenez, which takes some doing... twice.

The audio seemed to improve as the game went along, until they cut to the commercials, at which point, it was so anemic it felt like my ears had plugged after a long flight. It was jarring. Then when it came back to the game it was fucked up again. But for most of the first half, the field level audio was too high, the commentary too low. The color guy -- Heath Pierce, I think -- seemed like he was mumbling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC are starting a 16yr old CB?

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...UM1PVXjBA&s=19

Bold strategy Wazza

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing that was very noticeable last game compared to last season was the fact that players are finally learning how to play with Insigne. I have been a Napoli fan for some time so very used to watching Insigne and he loves to combine with lots of quick passes to get around defenders and it works well when players on the same page. Last season he would give a quick pass and make a move around the opposition player then expect the ball back and he would never get it. Guys around him are finally getting that is how he likes to play and get into dangerous positions. So hopefully that continues to develop this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    DC are starting a 16yr old CB?

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider/st...UM1PVXjBA&s=19

Bold strategy Wazza

same age as Rooney, when he made his debut for Everton, if my memory serves me correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    same age as Rooney, when he made his debut for Everton, if my memory serves me correctly.
    I remember that game, against Arsenal. He beat David Seaman to the top left corner. Stunning at that age how good he was.

I hope he starts the kid... and I hope Dio runs at him all day.

He's also apparently undecided on his keeper. So we might be facing Alex Bono this Saturday. Shoot early, shoot often.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that game, against Arsenal. He beat David Seaman to the top left corner. Stunning at that age how good he was.

I hope he starts the kid... and I hope Dio runs at him all day.

He's also apparently undecided on his keeper. So we might be facing Alex Bono this Saturday. Shoot early, shoot often.
    Shoot screamers from 50 feet out, scoop up rebounds, distract Bono with a 2017 MLS Cup Champions snowglobe

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney starting Bono would either be a full complete genius move or destroy Bono's career.

I wouldn't make that call but Rooney seems to trust his gut over sports psychology

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rooney starting Bono would either be a full complete genius move or destroy Bono's career.

I wouldn't make that call but Rooney seems to trust his gut over sports psychology
    Seems insane to me. Steve Birnbaum is not exactly a mobile shot blocker and the 16 year old is going to be in deep shit against either of the Italians. We should be teeing up from the top of the box all day long, just like every team did to us. Which fits our lineup, pretty much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems insane to me. Steve Birnbaum is not exactly a mobile shot blocker and the 16 year old is going to be in deep shit against either of the Italians. We should be teeing up from the top of the box all day long, just like every team did to us. Which fits our lineup, pretty much.
    Insigne, for better or worse, does not wait for an invitation to shoot from range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea who the folks are calling the game. Probably the only negative of Apple TV in my books.
    Last edited by Smokecell; 02-21-2023 at 05:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ex Fire PbP + ex USL colour...

Now, does TSN go with its crew?
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-21-2023 at 05:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I hope he starts the kid... and I hope Dio runs at him all day. He's also apparently undecided on his keeper. So we might be facing Alex Bono this Saturday. Shoot early, shoot often.

That would be interesting. IIUC, DCU/Rooney have made considerable changes/updates to their own roster; similar to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

That would be interesting. IIUC, DCU/Rooney have made considerable changes/updates to their own roster; similar to TFC.
    They've added Matteus Klich from Leeds United as a DP. He's a very good passer, good from distance and on dead balls. He's better going forward than back but he can definitely dictate play.

They have Christian Benteke from Palace up front, he's a good finisher but not so mobile anymore, and Taxi Fountas in the hole, creative Greek player.

Their defense is okay. Birnbaum's sort of a poor man's Hedges, Derek Williams has not impressed since coming over from England. Najar is getting long in the tooth and was always more an offensive winger than a defensive wingback.

They have Chris Durkin, a decent young midfielder who already has a failed Euro move at 23. He's sort of Mo Edu like in his general competency but lack of any defined strength. Russell Canouse is pretty much a straight up central DM now after years of moving roles, but his mobility is probably not what it was after several injuries.

I think on speed and technique we should cause real problems for them, but they have three players in Fountas, Benteke and Klich who can cause serious damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of hope Bono doesn't play. I'd feel pretty bad if his debut for a new club was getting crushed 4-0 by TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They've added Matteus Klich from Leeds United as a DP. He's a very good passer, good from distance and on dead balls. He's better going forward than back but he can definitely dictate play.

They have Christian Benteke from Palace up front, he's a good finisher but not so mobile anymore, and Taxi Fountas in the hole, creative Greek player.

Their defense is okay. Birnbaum's sort of a poor man's Hedges, Derek Williams has not impressed since coming over from England. Najar is getting long in the tooth and was always more an offensive winger than a defensive wingback.

They have Chris Durkin, a decent young midfielder who already has a failed Euro move at 23. He's sort of Mo Edu like in his general competency but lack of any defined strength. Russell Canouse is pretty much a straight up central DM now after years of moving roles, but his mobility is probably not what it was after several injuries.

I think on speed and technique we should cause real problems for them, but they have three players in Fountas, Benteke and Klich who can cause serious damage.
    Thanks for the insight jloome; as always informative and appreciated. Suspect the following is but one of a thousand fantasy football manager projections. Still a decent visualization to add to this discussion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of hope Bono doesn't play. I'd feel pretty bad if his debut for a new club was getting crushed 4-0 by TFC.
    Gonna be a Bono clean sheet now haha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are healthy, DC is not a contender, and I expect us to win this game.

I expect TFC to win most games where we are basically healthy.

I expect every TFC game will involve crippling anxiety every time one of our important players goes in for a 50/50 ball, or takes a hard tackle.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-21-2023 at 09:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we walk away with a 2-1 win. Berna and Dio with the goals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-22-2023 at 07:10 AM.