Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Supporter's thoughts on the BMO/NSS/Argos situation -- video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAdBpYobZlU

I've decided to use my camera for good this time.
    Here's a bunch of people weighing in their opinions
    on the potential changes to our National Soccer Stadium.

If you want to pass the video around elsewhere, go right ahead.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is it that it tells me the imbedded video is no longer available when it's playing behind a semi transparent darkness?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't code the thing - maybe a work blocker?

Just follow the link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't watch Youtube at work, but the embedded ones usually work. No matter, I can kind of see it and can hear it fine. Just that there's like a semi transparent dark screen over it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's really just about dialog anyway. You know what you look like.

oh... and if there's anyone who wants to post this on the NEE / Usex / Ultras / Etc. boards... please do so. I don't have accounts everywhere else.
    Last edited by Parkdale; 08-07-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great video, keep em coming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well done. It's constructive, as well as a true representation of the supporters point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Video

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent video...though over at MLS Rumors Rumors, we've heard that the Argos are the least of your worries...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EdTheRed View Post
    Excellent video...though over at MLS Rumors Rumors, we've heard that the Argos are the least of your worries...
    Of course, they'll have to change the team name. Right now, they're planning to change it to "Toronto Bills FC"...of course, this means that TFC will have to change their name to "Toronto Soccer Club," to avoid confusion.............
    AHHAHAH. Holy shit I would fucking go on a rampage if that ever happens..

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EdTheRed View Post

sweet. I can't wait to see the X-games at Bmo.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpers now that the forum is acting normal again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youtube embedding seems to be all messed up today because videos won't play for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it works for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest i dont think its bad for the Argos. I think if they move to BMO field the atmosphere at Argos games would be much better and more Argo fans who often stay at home and watch on TV because the Sky Dome is kind of shitty would all of a sudden want to come out and buy tickets and be part of the atmosphere. But with the smaller 25,000-30,000 seats it would make Argo tickets a hot item and hard to get.

But as a TFC fan and a fan of the Canadian National Team its very bad with the turf issues, CFL lines all over the field and the fact that many players including the National team dont like to play on turf.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be bad for the fans.

they are used to have very efficient concession stands, and generally shorter line ups for things like ATM's and washrooms. Even the most positive TFC fan will tell your that the stadium setup needs improvement. If there were an additional 5000, or even 3000 seats, then they would need to do a SERIOUS reworking of the stadium to make things run efficiently. I think that after being in an established sports stadium like the Dome, coming to BMO would be incredibly frustrating for the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I think the Argos are screwing the fan base by moving out of SkyDome - ticket prices are sure to go up.

Parkdale wtf man. Why didn't you interview me? Is your so called "video" too good for us little people?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    I think it would be bad for the fans.

they are used to have very efficient concession stands, and generally shorter line ups for things like ATM's and washrooms. Even the most positive TFC fan will tell your that the stadium setup needs improvement. If there were an additional 5000, or even 3000 seats, then they would need to do a SERIOUS reworking of the stadium to make things run efficiently. I think that after being in an established sports stadium like the Dome, coming to BMO would be incredibly frustrating for the fans.
    Absolutely totally agree.

The stadium as it is barely handles the 20k fans. Add 50% and you have mayhem.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexintoronto View Post
    Parkdale wtf man. Why didn't you interview me? Is your so called "video" too good for us little people?
    sorry man, but I had already met my 'Hawaiian Shirt Quota' for the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont know how many millions of dollars the Argos are willing to put into the construction exspansion but that may include adding more concession stands and all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed the video, most people stated their concerns in a civil and clear manner. The dipshit who based his argument on “it’s ours, we own it” ought to check his facts, though.

It seems like the biggest concerns are moving the seats back permanently and putting gridiron lines on the soccer pitch. That’s good, because THESE ARE, AND ALWAYS WERE, MYTHS MEANT TO SCARE UP SUPPORT FOR THE PROTEST!!!

No source has ever come out saying this would be part of any plan. Even CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, who along with David Miller are probably the biggest supporters of the move (even moreso than the Argos themselves), has always maintained that the seats would have to be movable for any deal.

No one’s commented on the pitch situation yet. My theory is that the field in the renovated facility will have a bottom layer of CFL fieldturf, and pallets or skids with REAL GRASS will be brought in for TFC and MNT games.

This will bring MLSE and CSA on board (Another 5-10k seats and real grass would be too much to pass up), and will also appease all of the supporters. Everyone will hug, kiss, and cuddle, and shovels will go into the ground.

Clearly, any of you who still bitch and moan about this deal with messages of “it’s ours, it hurts our feelings to have football played here, we’re greedy and want it all to ourselves, waaa waaa waaa” would be ignored by all parties.

I wouldn’t toot the “Soccer Specific Stadium” argument too much. In the US, MLS is trying to avoid multipurpose facilities because down there, “multipurpose” means you share the facility with an MLB team (40k+ seats aligned to watch a game on a diamond) or an NCAA or NFL team (75k+ seats with permanent football lines on a field to narrow for proper soccer sidelines).

CFL stadiums are ideally in the 25-30k range, perfect for TFC. The width of a Canadian football field is identical to that of a soccer pitch. With the exception of the corners in soccer stadiums, the sightlines of the sports can easily be accommodated (unlike soccer and baseball). “Multipurpose” with the CFL certainly means something different than what Garber believes.

As to the whole “Bills will eat the Argos alive” comment, Ted Rogers still has 20k seats for his first preseason game left unsold, despite several discounts and attempts at repackaging the deals. The ticket prices are so high because he has to break even on that $78M cheque he wrote to Ralph Wilson and the Bills. All signs say he’s set to take a bath on this deal, and he’d be crazy not to be rethinking the level of interest in NFL football in the GTA. Not when he’d have to come up with $2B up front to buy the team and build himself a stadium.

Besides, Ralph Wilson already went behind his back and declared Southern Ontario “Buffalo Bills territory”. Seeing as there are lineups of rich American guys looking to buy the team, Buffalo politicians taking up the fight, and the NFL commissioner being from and having family in… that’s right… BUFFALO, that team is going nowhere, and as long as it’s there, there will be no expansion teams moving into “Buffalo Bills territory”.

On the bright side, CFL ratings on TSN are up 21% over last year. That’s 21% higher than last year’s already astronomical numbers of around 400k viewers per game, easily the highest ratings of any non-hockey sport. New stadiums or significant renovations are on the table in BC, Saskatchewan, TORONTO, and Hamilton. Ottawa is in good shape to re-enter the league, and there’s renewed talk of expansion to the Maritimes (along with some subtle rumblings out of football-crazy Quebec City).

Bottom line, not only is CFL football not going anywhere, but it’s financially better off than it’s been in nearly 30 years.

So right now, while Mayor Miller, MLSE, and the Argos keep smiling with their mouths shut, their accountants are behind the scenes trying to make the numbers work. If all the columns balance and everybody’s happy, get ready to welcome your new roomie at merry ol’ BMO Field!!!

TFC *clap clap clap* TFC!!!
    AAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC+Argos4Life View Post
    Bottom line, not only is CFL football not going anywhere, but it’s financially better off than it’s been in nearly 30 years.

If this is the case, why is the Toronto CFL franchise unable to secure its future without riding the coattails of an entity only 18 months into its own existence?

Surely if the CFL is such a big draw, it would be easy to obtain the funding for a new facility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed the video, most people stated their concerns in a civil and clear manner. The dipshit who based his argument on “it’s ours, we own it” ought to check his facts, though.

It seems like the biggest concerns are moving the seats back permanently and putting gridiron lines on the soccer pitch. That’s good, because THESE ARE, AND ALWAYS WERE, MYTHS MEANT TO SCARE UP SUPPORT FOR THE PROTEST!!!

No source has ever come out saying this would be part of any plan. Even CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, who along with David Miller are probably the biggest supporters of the move (even moreso than the Argos themselves), has always maintained that the seats would have to be movable for any deal.

No one’s commented on the pitch situation yet. My theory is that the field in the renovated facility will have a bottom layer of CFL fieldturf, and pallets or skids with REAL GRASS will be brought in for TFC and MNT games.

This will bring MLSE and CSA on board (Another 5-10k seats and real grass would be too much to pass up), and will also appease all of the supporters. Everyone will hug, kiss, and cuddle, and shovels will go into the ground.

Clearly, any of you who still bitch and moan about this deal with messages of “it’s ours, it hurts our feelings to have football played here, we’re greedy and want it all to ourselves, waaa waaa waaa” would be ignored by all parties.

I wouldn’t toot the “Soccer Specific Stadium” argument too much. In the US, MLS is trying to avoid multipurpose facilities because down there, “multipurpose” means you share the facility with an MLB team (40k+ seats aligned to watch a game on a diamond) or an NCAA or NFL team (75k+ seats with permanent football lines on a field to narrow for proper soccer sidelines).

CFL stadiums are ideally in the 25-30k range, perfect for TFC. The width of a Canadian football field is identical to that of a soccer pitch. With the exception of the corners in soccer stadiums, the sightlines of the sports can easily be accommodated (unlike soccer and baseball). “Multipurpose” with the CFL certainly means something different than what Garber believes.

As to the whole “Bills will eat the Argos alive” comment, Ted Rogers still has 20k seats for his first preseason game left unsold, despite several discounts and attempts at repackaging the deals. The ticket prices are so high because he has to break even on that $78M cheque he wrote to Ralph Wilson and the Bills. All signs say he’s set to take a bath on this deal, and he’d be crazy not to be rethinking the level of interest in NFL football in the GTA. Not when he’d have to come up with $2B up front to buy the team and build himself a stadium.

Besides, Ralph Wilson already went behind his back and declared Southern Ontario “Buffalo Bills territory”. Seeing as there are lineups of rich American guys looking to buy the team, Buffalo politicians taking up the fight, and the NFL commissioner being from and having family in… that’s right… BUFFALO, that team is going nowhere, and as long as it’s there, there will be no expansion teams moving into “Buffalo Bills territory”.

On the bright side, CFL ratings on TSN are up 21% over last year. That’s 21% higher than last year’s already astronomical numbers of around 400k viewers per game, easily the highest ratings of any non-hockey sport. New stadiums or significant renovations are on the table in BC, Saskatchewan, TORONTO, and Hamilton. Ottawa is in good shape to re-enter the league, and there’s renewed talk of expansion to the Maritimes (along with some subtle rumblings out of football-crazy Quebec City).

So right now, while Mayor Miller, MLSE, and the Argos keep smiling with their mouths shut, their accountants are behind the scenes trying to make the numbers work. If all the columns balance and everybody’s happy, get ready to welcome your new roomie at merry ol’ BMO Field!!!

And what about the ambience of the stadium....the logos you see around the field...the merchandise shops.

Why should I have to walk into the National Soccer Stadium of Canada...to watch the #1 sport in the world...watched by billions of people... and see Argos logos all over the place?

That's question #1....question #2 is....playing on skids of grass is no better than playing on the field turf we have now....and do you know why...because it's not natural....it's not the true surface. We'll be in the same mess we're in now.

And what about scheduling?....Where are TFC to practice?....do we have to wait for the Argos to vacate the field?...the weight room?...the lounges before they can go in there? Don't tell me there won't be conflicts....conflicts negatively affecting both teams.

Lastly...what on earth do the Argos have to gain here?....Intimacy?....is that really worth pissing off so many people when the facility they have right now suits there needs a lot better.

Sure your arguments seem rational...but they're only rational in your own head because you don't know what true football is....true passion. You haven't listened to one word any of us have said...you just keep going on as if your nonsensical ramblings will convince us that you actually have any sort of point. Your smugness is actually repulsive....

BMO Field is already a borderline bad soccer facility...we should be trying to improve it, by making it more soccer specific and intimate....not less.

As for Parkdale....you're my hero.
    Last edited by LucaGol; 08-09-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oskie-fucking-wee-wee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wisnae me View Post
    If this is the case, why is the Toronto CFL franchise unable to secure its future without riding the coattails of an entity only 18 months into its own existence?

Surely if the CFL is such a big draw, it would be easy to obtain the funding for a new facility.
    Because CFL teams play only 10 home dates per year, it makes much more sense to have the teams play in stadiums that have other uses. Most CFL stadiums are shared with junior and CIS teams, with BC Place and Skydome having the most alternate uses (Blue Jays, Olympics, trade shows, etc.)

NFL teams play less home dates, but the $100M per team each year in TV money allows them to be a little more frivolous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    And what about the ambience of the stadium....the logos you see around the field...the merchandise shops.

Why should I have to walk into the National Soccer Stadium of Canada...to watch the #1 sport in the world...watched by billions of people... and see Argos logos all over the place?

That's question #1....question #2 is....playing on skids of grass is no better than playing on the field turf we have now....and do you know why...because it's not natural....it's not the true surface. We'll be in the same mess we're in now.

And what about scheduling?....Where are TFC to practice?....do we have to wait for the Argos to vacate the field?...the weight room?...the lounges before they can go in there? Don't tell me there won't be conflicts....conflicts negatively affecting both teams.

Lastly...what on earth do the Argos have to gain here?....Intimacy?....is that really worth pissing off so many people when the facility they have right now suits there needs a lot better.

Sure your arguments seem rational...but they're only rational in your own head because you don't know what true football is....true passion. You haven't listened to one word any of us have said...you just keep going on as if your nonsensical ramblings will convince us that you actually have any sort of point. Your smugness is actually repulsive....

BMO Field is already a borderline bad soccer facility...we should be trying to improve it, by making it more soccer specific and intimate....not less.

As for Parkdale....you're my hero.
    I'm not very moved by your "ambience" argument. The Argos don't have very many permanent logos around their current home, as you'd notice if you attended a Jays game. You've got no reason to believe they'd suddenly change their minds with BMO.

I have no idea what playing on this kind of real grass would be like (and neither do you, for the record) but I'm sure they'd design it to be an improvement for the players. Otherwise why bother?

Don't lose too much sleep over scheduling. The Argos have no scheduling conflicts with the Blue Jays, who require the dome over 80 times per year. Why would that change with TFC? Plus, all Argonaut practice facilities are in Mississauga, and I haven't read of any complaints from the team.

The Argonauts are in the best position to decide how best to fulfill their needs, so the move would only happen if they see it in their best interests. Pissing off a couple-dozen over-jealous TFC radicals is certainly far down on anyone's list of priorities.

I listened to every word you all said. Calling something irrational without explaining why is an indication of a lack of either understanding or argument (or both). Sorry to come across as smug... I'll try to work on it...

P.S.

It's "Soccer" in Canada, Australia, and the U.S.; not "Football". A national game called "Football" exists in each of those countries. Everyone should stop trying to be european (and drop the fake accents while you're at it) and be proud to be Canadian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P.S.

It's "Soccer" in Canada, Australia, and the U.S.; not "Football". A national game called "Football" exists in each of those countries. Everyone should stop trying to be european (and drop the fake accents while you're at it) and be proud to be Canadian.
    thanks for the lesson toth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because CFL teams play only 10 home dates per year, it makes much more sense to have the teams play in stadiums that have other uses. Most CFL stadiums are shared with junior and CIS teams, with BC Place and Skydome having the most alternate uses (Blue Jays, Olympics, trade shows, etc.
    I wonder why the Argos haven`t thought of hooking up with a CIS team before?

Oh wait...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to come across as smug... I'll try to work on it...

(And then he writes...)

P.S.

I think you should stop pretending your a TFC... or for you, TSC supporter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only because there's no emoticom for retard!
    Last edited by Redcoe15; 08-09-2008 at 06:00 PM.