Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kaye is on a $700m salary. The worst thing about that trade is not what they gave up, but the opportunity cost in using that salary on someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apple’s graphics and overall production were severely lacking IMO. Hopefully they are working out the kinks.

I thought MAK looked decent going forward and sloppy in the middle of the park. Some of the turnovers were due to the terrible balls given to him in tight spaces with a man on his back.

There were some glimpses of what this team can be slick one twos and potentially really good on the counter attack. They need to get sharper with the final ball. I’m overall encouraged with what I saw and with better finishing I could have easily see TFC win that match

there was at least one pk that wasn’t called either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Anybody watch the other free match? Just curious to know if the other commentary team was any better.
    I didn’t mind last night. Thought it was mostly agreeable. Hopefully the replay / telecast quality is better for regular season but something tells me this was just about giving a few hardcore fans like us something to watch rather than rolling out the whole package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Apple’s graphics and overall production were severely lacking IMO. Hopefully they are working out the kinks.

I thought MAK looked decent going forward and sloppy in the middle of the park. Some of the turnovers were due to the terrible balls given to him in tight spaces with a man on his back.

There were some glimpses of what this team can be slick one twos and potentially really good on the counter attack. They need to get sharper with the final ball. I’m overall encouraged with what I saw and with better finishing I could have easily see TFC win that match

there was at least one pk that wasn’t called either
    His technique is quite poor, his fundamentals. He controls the ball reasonably well, with minimal loss of close control and not a lot of bounce or poor trapping (one of Ayo's weaknesses). But his one-touch passing is awful. Truly awful. Yesterday he twice hit the ball at least twice as firmly as needed, including one where he went backwards to Rostad and just about hit him in the face with the ball.

On another occasion, he needed to pass back to Rostad and pushed the ball so wide, because he was being lacksadaisical, that he actually pulled our central defense badly out of position. If the pass had been even a little light, or if Rostad (hedges?) hadn't controlled it well, it would have been the dumbest breakaway in many a year.

He's just technically sloppy. He's a gifted athlete but his basics aren't there. Equally, when he took the ball on the run, into the opposing box, on both occasions he got it tangled in his feet, rather than recognizing the pass was a split-second late and opening up his body to let it run across him, allowing a shot. Given a clear chance, he tried to squeeze it in the short side (promptiong Bernadeschi to hang his head in irritation, as he had the other corner wide open, the goalie too far over to stop any roller.)

Oso wasn't great either, but it was more trying too hard. He's trying to dribble through four people instead of taking the easy outlet. The one in the box, where he clearly got frozen between the decision to take a chance or to pass, also wasn't good.

I thought Michael looked okay in possession, slow in defence. There was a moment in the second half when Mavinga just walked past Bradley and Oso like they weren't even there. He had no doubt he'd be able to dribble through them. I think by the time Michael's cleet hit the ground, Mavinga was already into our third.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If last night was an indication of how we will play this year then we are not a legitimate cup or shield contender. If we have any significant injuries then we are a playoff contender

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Kaye is on a $700m salary. The worst thing about that trade is not what they gave up, but the opportunity cost in using that salary on someone else.
    what in the world lolol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other games were using the top 2 commentating tandems - Twellman on the Orlando game and Arlo White on the Houston match.

We got the neutral non-spanish LA based pair.

Honestly, having watched various MLS home team broadcasts for Colorado and the like, this was an improvement. What they didn't do is discuss the game much.

The comments on Twitter I saw bemoaning there being no Brit voices makes me cringe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The comments on Twitter I saw bemoaning there being no Brit voices makes me cringe.
    It's not really rational but it's understandable; people associate good commentary with people who have more experience and expertise in it, and in MLS that's traditionally been English commentators.

Back in 2004-ish, FIFA released an "Americanized" version of FIFA called Fifa MLS 2004 (I think that was the year.) It was just their first effort to brand the cover "locally."

But they made the unforgiveable error of not consulting fans before replacing John Motson and Andy Grey with Julie Foudy and Bob Let from ESPN.

Fans revolted so virulently, they had to release a "patch" disc with the English commentary, something not really done back in the day except for bug smashing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I literally burst out laughing at 15-20 seconds, worthy of dubbing over the Benny Hill Theme to the highlights.

That's the most comical defending I've seen in a long time, I know its pre-season but holy smokes that was bad, the guy just walked past all of ours players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    what in the world lolol
    I see you are back to your old ways after Ensco called you out for being nothing more than an apologist for management, on this site with a personal agenda. Please do me a favour and put me on ignore and I will reciprocate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see you are back to your old ways after Ensco called you out for being nothing more than an apologist for management, on this site with a personal agenda. Please do me a favour and put me on ignore and I will reciprocate.
    you DID see your typo right, I don't think you meant 700 million dollar salary but come on. Your aggression is pretty telling...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    you DID see your typo right, I don't think you meant 700 million dollar salary but come on. Your aggression is pretty telling...
    700m = 700,000. This is how it is written in the financial services industry.

The poster I was referring to has a habit of sniping at people whose posts he doesn't like, and he has done this to me on multiple occasions in recent months.

Posting is supposed to be fun, but it increasingly has become less so.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 02-19-2023 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

700m = 700,000. This is how it is written in the financial services industry.

The poster I was referring to has a habit of sniping at people whose posts he doesn't like, and he has done this to me on multiple occasions in recent months.

Posting is supposed to be fun, but it increasingly has become less so.
    Isn’t it 700k?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argument can be quite interesting even when it’s passionate and approaching nasty. But let’s not fight over typos. That’s just boring. A little bit more civility, please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a typo though I understand how it may be presumed to be. IMO, they are actually both correct; I am not trying to sidestep. Though the initial reply was from an uninformed position. One is from a profession, insider speak or shorthand perspective; financial services, certain sectors and certain corners of those. It's a thing, kinda old school. The reply, the other is perhaps from a contemporary, everyday laymen jargon and internet acronym perspective. NK Toronto is technically correct, though the term is certainly not commonly used, expressed nor understood in such manner by the general public; us. It's of Latin/Roman origins. Father was in banking with some international exposure in an earlier lifetime; previous mid-century. Reference the following for some further insight...

'I agree that this is confusing, and I don’t > understand where this convention applies. I > occasionally use MM to mean millions, but I never > use M to mean 1000s, unless I’m writing Roman > numerals. And I’m never really sure why people > use MM, but sometimes I just try to fit in. > > Can anyone shed some light on what contexts use > the M and MM notations? In public policy work, > where I was first trained, one uses T, B, M, and K > for trillions, billions, millions, and thousands, > respectively. So I don’t know where the MM > notation comes from. Bloomberg and most trading software use M as the convention for thousand. $1,000 = M. $1,000,000 = MM. $1,000,000,000 = MMM. This means the system only needs to know one “variable”, M=$1,000". If you use k, m, b etc, you have more variables. For example, MxM = MM and $1,000 x $1,000 = $1,000,000. K x K =/= KK (ambiguous) Its a widely understood shorthand, just like any other profession. Its not made for retail investors to understand, it is to make communications brief. For instance, traders offer bonds in short hand - O/O 10MM+ EXC 6.15 12 @ E+23 Reads as I own and offer more than $10,000,000 of Commonwealth Edison 6.15% coupon 03/15/2012 bonds at 23 bps more than the synthetic eurodollar forward rate curve"

https://www.analystforum.com/t/number-short-hand/60545
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-20-2023 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Isn’t it 700k?
    He’s correct that to people in finance (banking in particular) it’s “M” used an a unit of thousands.

Now that said, as someone who’s worked in finance for nearly two decades, I never express the numbers this way to people who work outside the industry (including our clients). Usually only leads to confusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He’s correct that to people in finance (banking in particular) it’s “M” used an a unit of thousands.

Now that said, as someone who’s worked in finance for nearly two decades, I never express the numbers this way to people who work outside the industry (including our clients). Usually only leads to confusion.
    Thanks for the clarification. I work in government, so….k.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???????

Was commenting on the 700m, wasn't familiar with that being used a shorthand for thousands...

I agree Kaye needs to get back to his 2018- 2021 performance levels if that acquisition gonna work out.

Looked sloppy Saturday too many turnovers.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I watched the 15 minute highlights on the MLS website.

Gosh Insigne found a lot of space - if he connects on 2 of those 6 or so chances he had, we win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh Insigne found a lot of space - if he connects on 2 of those 6 or so chances he had, we win.
    Also, in the last 10 minutes he really got a chip on his shoulder and turned it up a gear. He's very, very quick.

I find it amusing that none of the American 'pundits' on mlssoccer.com even mentioned him as a major player or MVP candidate. They declared Bernardeschi a "dark horse" and said Ricky Puig is a better player.

If we stay healthy and they both end out putting up numbers, some people are going to be blushing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for pointing the highlights out. Nice to have sound but no commentary. Even in the 15 mins (their first goal aside) it’s evident we look totally different at the back. What a relief! To be watching always on a knife’s edge the last couple of seasons has been stressful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Also, in the last 10 minutes he really got a chip on his shoulder and turned it up a gear. He's very, very quick.

I find it amusing that none of the American 'pundits' on mlssoccer.com even mentioned him as a major player or MVP candidate. They declared Bernardeschi a "dark horse" and said Ricky Puig is a better player.

If we stay healthy and they both end out putting up numbers, some people are going to be blushing.
    I think they’re showing their bias but from what limited amount I’ve seen of Puig’s game, maybe he’s just one of those guys that has a surplus of the key skills needed for MLS but his deficiencies in other areas aren’t as noticeable.

Otherwise, I think it’s kind of a laugh. Berna is an incredibly well rounded footballer, to the point some of things we are counting on him to do (like score goals) weren’t a part of his roles in Europe in quite some time. Yet, he does that stuff here with ease.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saw the second half- didnt look great. I dont understand how everyone could be happy with the performance and loss when galaxy didnt even have their best two players on the pitch.

I was happy to see SJ be vocal with the back line- wasnt happy with his direct pass to the galaxy forward or rosted's pass to their player- shocked for such experienced GK and CB.

I truly hope they kick it up a bit- seems like goal scoring may be difficult- who will put the net in the back of the net? FB+LI and ? ayo or dio - no recent in form play or results.

Hopefully they realize the opportunity they have playing with LI and FB

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    saw the second half- didnt look great. I dont understand how everyone could be happy with the performance and loss when galaxy didnt even have their best two players on the pitch.

I was happy to see SJ be vocal with the back line- wasnt happy with his direct pass to the galaxy forward or rosted's pass to their player- shocked for such experienced GK and CB.

I truly hope they kick it up a bit- seems like goal scoring may be difficult- who will put the net in the back of the net? FB+LI and ? ayo or dio - no recent in form play or results.

Hopefully they realize the opportunity they have playing with LI and FB
    I try to not worry about any preseason performance too much although I did think the same regarding LA playing without players and you would think with our full starting lineup you would see a little more. You never know if they are still experimenting with things tactic wise that they may not do in the MLS season though. I will worry about it more if happening from this weekend on.