Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm watching the 360 whip around show. Does anyone know why they keep going to a break while the games are going on? It seems so odd during the half that they need to go to break of the empty studio. I could understand if it was a commercial but it isn't even that

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is they have sold commercials in the US for those slots but not in Canada.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder that MLS Season Pass also has TFCII games on it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only for Yanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    I wouldn’t watch mls unless you paid me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Only for Yanks
    Apparently not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got it this month. Production value is mediocre, studio set-up is alright, commentators are kinda garbage, I’m shocked I’m spending this much and am very much debating to just find janky online streams after this month.

This was a terrible idea by MLS and I’m sure viewing numbers are also terrible

Edit: watching 360 show great idea, but the graphics on all these broadcasts feel so beer league

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Just got it this month. Production value is mediocre, studio set-up is alright, commentators are kinda garbage, I’m shocked I’m spending this much and am very much debating to just find janky online streams after this month.

This was a terrible idea by MLS and I’m sure viewing numbers are also terrible

Edit: watching 360 show great idea, but the graphics on all these broadcasts feel so beer league
    I give you the commentators are...uneven.

But production values? Local coverage for most MLS teams until this year were OneSoccer level - 3 cameras in some stadiums & rarely HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I give you the commentators are...uneven.

But production values? Local coverage for most MLS teams until this year were OneSoccer level - 3 cameras in some stadiums & rarely HD.
    I don’t know I never watched most of the league outside of a select few teams, but for TFC I just don’t see it as any upgrade

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I don’t know I never watched most of the league outside of a select few teams, but for TFC I just don’t see it as any upgrade
    It's an upgrade by subtraction not to have to listen to last year's TFC commentators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's an upgrade by subtraction not to have to listen to last year's TFC commentators.
    Completely agree. It’s a treat not being subject to Caldwell’s brilliant brilliantness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to admit I find the apple package light-years ahead of tsns coverage. I get the price argument if you already have tsn, but quality wise for Tfc and especially for following the league as a whole it's just so much better for me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, the advance in TV coverage for the rest of the league is pretty much my highlight for this season

God that's depressing...true...but depressing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weirdness - went to watch the full replay of the game and every time that they switch to a replay/close-up, it's blacked out... First couple of times I thought it was my connection, then pieced it together and what the hell... "the crowd's booing, here's a view of that handball". Some sort of licensing issue they have?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they need to step up their game. At best, I think the quality is uneven.

Guys like Wiebe were fine when the vibe of this league was a podcast recorded in someone’s basement. Today: not good enough, lights are too bright for him.

They need to tighten the ship. I tune in every week expecting something clean and consistent (it is centralized after all). Feel like I’m getting babble gaf and they can barely keep up with the information flow coming at them.

I think there are too many games on the single time slot and they need to dial it back with some things on the afternoon.

Overall, I’m hanging on by a thread. 49% chance I cancel this next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Have to admit I find the apple package light-years ahead of tsns coverage. I get the price argument if you already have tsn, but quality wise for Tfc and especially for following the league as a whole it's just so much better for me
    I agree completely but Apple are doing a fairly shit job outside the 90 minutes of play. Did we really need to watch a blank black screen with no sound 3 times before the Nashville - Crew match last night? Did we need 1/2 their national anthem before it was cut to black? Do we need that many minutes of a wide angle aerial view of the stadium with their Apple message on the bottom in every language?

Bothers me that they're not even working out the bugs. Same issues in week one are still here and most are simple fixes and to not fix it is ridiculous. I get it, it's a paid subscription but I would rather watch commercials, even for their crummy Apple shows, than the black screen or the intermittent view of the stadium with random sound/mute. Then the commentators; to be nice at least half are garbage. The other 50% has about 45% of meh and there are a few good ones. That needs to be addressed in the off season for sure.

As for the 7:30 slot issue? I don't care that much but they're missing out by not having a consistent Friday & Sunday night match. I think that's just a miss on their part. They could also have at least one afternoon Saturday match slot for people waiting for the 7:30 matches.

But it's still better than anything we got on TSN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I agree completely but Apple are doing a fairly shit job outside the 90 minutes of play. Did we really need to watch a blank black screen with no sound 3 times before the Nashville - Crew match last night? Did we need 1/2 their national anthem before it was cut to black? Do we need that many minutes of a wide angle aerial view of the stadium with their Apple message on the bottom in every language?

Bothers me that they're not even working out the bugs. Same issues in week one are still here and most are simple fixes and to not fix it is ridiculous. I get it, it's a paid subscription but I would rather watch commercials, even for their crummy Apple shows, than the black screen or the intermittent view of the stadium with random sound/mute. Then the commentators; to be nice at least half are garbage. The other 50% has about 45% of meh and there are a few good ones. That needs to be addressed in the off season for sure.

As for the 7:30 slot issue? I don't care that much but they're missing out by not having a consistent Friday & Sunday night match. I think that's just a miss on their part. They could also have at least one afternoon Saturday match slot for people waiting for the 7:30 matches.

But it's still better than anything we got on TSN.
    This is me.

Of course if I didn't get the subscription with my season seats I wouldn't bother.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very surprised at Apple's fix it as we go approach to this service. They had enough notice prior to cutting over this season to their service where they should have worked out the kinks. I really expected a fairly polished offering. To come out with such a low rent version of a broadcast is pretty crazy. The types of technical issues they have and the frequency is nuts. But it is what it is to watch the team and luckily it is included for those of us with season seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This is me.

Of course if I didn't get the subscription with my season seats I wouldn't bother.
    I probably would have this season if not included with our seats because it was new but I wouldn't buy it next season if they decided to remove it as part of our SSH pack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Caldwell may have been picked up by Apple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Looks like Caldwell may have been picked up by Apple.
    Did he just walk across the street?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only problem with it is that the Apple Chrome and Windows apps don't automatically adjust a 4k screen to its 1080 signal, and I have no idea how to do so. So to watch it on the big screen means putting up with slightly fuzzy players.

First world problems, as I have a 1080P 32" right around the corner in the basement. But it's annoying such a brilliant picture -- really, the true 1080 is the best thing about Apple to me -- isn't available on my big tv.

As for the announcers, they're fucking horrendous. It's just the American jingoism, over the top commentary on minor details, missing major details. The play by play is just very weak, generally. The worst is the Irish ex-wrestling announcer who just hypes every moment as if he's a sixteen year old girl watching the Beatles on Sullivan. It's also clear when they're just bullshitting having any knowledge of the league or players, which happens quite a bit.

Just... no. Trying to graft XGL/NFL/WWE style hype onto football just seems childish and tawdry. Watching that MLS skills contest was cringe inducing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping somebody who knows a thing or two about actually getting broadcast talent comes on board in the next 18 months - they had to build this quick, and it shows.

I love the picture quality
    The graphics are well done
    The commentators are slightly better then past MLS local broadcasts

but

there seem to be a lot of people around because "they know somebody"

(oh wait...its US soccer...of course that's what is going on)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the Apple TV announcers are pretty bad, but I still think Caldwell is worse. I just have no more patience for him.