Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Leagues Cup Round 1 - TFC @ NYC (in New Jersey) Wed July 26 7:38pm - I think I like

that you seem sincere

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only competition that matters now. Let's make a run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to score goals to win so unless a top centre forward is on deck before this competition starts it will be more of the same.
    As for a new coach Manning has to go before any real change happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    You have to score goals to win so unless a top centre forward is on deck before this competition starts it will be more of the same.
    As for a new coach Manning has to go before any real change happens.
    Let the summer of Akiponguzza begin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone care about this phony cash grab of a tournament?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nope. Only bonus is that I am actively trying to forget that we're playing this season so this is a nice break from having to think about how shit we are.

Now if we were having a season like Cinci or something I would be pissed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My expectations are low so things will either happen as expected and we won't do well or I will be pleasantly surprised....win/win sort of. I actually laughed at the email when they wanted to give us the option to opt out or not of adding additional game tickets to our account as we progress through the tournament. First two games are included in our season ticket package it says but we only have one home game in the group stage. I know they have to prepare from a ticketing standpoint but we are not making it to any other round....give me a break. Not even sure there was a need for people to opt out. If two games are included in our season package and we only have the one home game do we get a refund for the one game? Not sure. Or did I misread something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe refund

I think we get 17 regular season + 2 other games included for season pass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    My expectations are low so things will either happen as expected and we won't do well or I will be pleasantly surprised....win/win sort of. I actually laughed at the email when they wanted to give us the option to opt out or not of adding additional game tickets to our account as we progress through the tournament. First two games are included in our season ticket package it says but we only have one home game in the group stage. I know they have to prepare from a ticketing standpoint but we are not making it to any other round....give me a break. Not even sure there was a need for people to opt out. If two games are included in our season package and we only have the one home game do we get a refund for the one game? Not sure. Or did I misread something?
    According to the e-mail that I got,
    "
    As a Toronto FC Member, you will a receive a minimum of one (1) Leagues Cup match as part of your 20-game Membership package. For any additional home matches played in this tournament, you will also receive priority access to your Membership seats.
    "

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    According to the e-mail that I got,
    "
    As a Toronto FC Member, you will a receive a minimum of one (1) Leagues Cup match as part of your 20-game Membership package. For any additional home matches played in this tournament, you will also receive priority access to your Membership seats.
    "
    Interesting. This was my last automated email from my rep.

As a friendly reminder, Leagues Cup 2023 will take place from July 21st to August 19th, 2023.

Your Toronto FC Membership includes the first 2 home matches during the Leagues Cup.

Should TFC advance and host more than matches noted above, your Membership seats for any additional Leagues Cup home match(es) will be automatically added to your account unless you opt-out by July 8, 2023. Details on how to opt-out are below.

Please note that any additional match(es) will be charged on a pay-as-confirmed basis to your default method of payment on file for your account. No payment is due at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Interesting. This was my last automated email from my rep.

As a friendly reminder, Leagues Cup 2023 will take place from July 21st to August 19th, 2023.

Your Toronto FC Membership includes the first 2 home matches during the Leagues Cup.

Should TFC advance and host more than matches noted above, your Membership seats for any additional Leagues Cup home match(es) will be automatically added to your account unless you opt-out by July 8, 2023. Details on how to opt-out are below.

Please note that any additional match(es) will be charged on a pay-as-confirmed basis to your default method of payment on file for your account. No payment is due at this time.
    Oh my mistake. I have the same e-mail as you (I trashed it, hah). The one I quoted is from Oct 18/22.
    Our package included 17 regular season matches & 3 additional matches, so it makes sense.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I care so much as I can't stand that they're doing it. Glad I have so much else to watch in the break. I'm sorry anybody got this lumped into their seasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I care about the Atlas game.

This format is dumb. Having two of the three games be against MLS teams severely devalues this.

The model should be that Mexican teams play MLS teams in the first three games or four games, with some sort of advancing mechanism resulting from the outcome of those games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I care about the Atlas game.

This format is dumb. Having two of the three games be against MLS teams severely devalues this.

The model should be that Mexican teams play MLS teams in the first three games or four games, with some sort of advancing mechanism resulting from the outcome of those games.

They went full hockey parity rules to create fake sense of competitiveness.

• Each team will receive 1 point if the game is tied after 90 minutes
    • The winner of the subsequent penalty shootout will earn an additional point
    • Top two teams advance in a group of three. Like what? Really?

Should have went with groups of 4 evenly split between MLS and LigaMX, top two advance like World Cup. It will never happen because many MLS teams will fail to advance that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just try insigne and Bernie as the two strikers in a 4-4-2. Every striker we have is trash. Nothing to lose at this point

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its different - the format is bad but the idea is a good one. Give it a few years to see what occurs. They are selling it wrong by talking about rivalries but this is a long term project.

&

If you want to prove to the penny pinching MLS owner types that their approach is doomed to fail to make competitive teams outside of MLS, here's the way to do it. If Liga MX, barely into its season, wipes the floor of most MLS teams...lessons will be learned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Its different - the format is bad but the idea is a good one. Give it a few years to see what occurs. They are selling it wrong by talking about rivalries but this is a long term project.

&

If you want to prove to the penny pinching MLS owner types that their approach is doomed to fail to make competitive teams outside of MLS, here's the way to do it. If Liga MX, barely into its season, wipes the floor of most MLS teams...lessons will be learned.
    Maybe it's because our team has been hot garbage that I am soured on this tournament, normally I would salivate to see TFC vs Mexican teams. My favorite memories are Giovinco vs LigaMX and getting their media in a frenzy.

MLS vs LigaMX is a great concept, but we kind of already have champions league which becomes that, the formating for this is wrong.

If the winner of this tournament got an entry into Copa Libertadores then you have my attention, the stakes and excitement would be greater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the winner of this tournament got an entry into Copa Libertadores then you have my attention, the stakes and excitement would be greater.
    I think the best would be that both finalists get an entry into Copa Libertadores.
    That wouldn't dilute too much Copa Libertadores.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% cash grab

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This match is as good as the team getting SJ's back in front of his old team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with that loss today, if we win this or get the win on PK's, we are through to the next round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This almost seems doable, nyc seems almost as shit as us. We are due to score at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll probably lose 4-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So with that loss today, if we win this or get the win on PK's, we are through to the next round.
    Sure about this? Thought other permutations were still in effect? It's Monday, so I'm probably confused. < EDIT > Yup, I am dazed. You are correct! Took me some time, but I figured it out.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-24-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Just try insigne and Bernie as the two strikers in a 4-4-2. Every striker we have is trash. Nothing to lose at this point
    They’re both “injured” and won’t be available this weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been no injury report

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been no injury report
    Good to hear. Let’s hope at least one of the two Italians can play. They’re both overdue to score and we need goals desperately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fear is the italians and mostly berna are completely into the stages of hopeless self-fulfilled prophecy that are basically irreparable even if they are healthy. Can't really hope to get them back and slot them in as reliable players when Berna for instance appears all but checked out and just waiting for things to happen from his lack of presence in social media channels and his body language in interviews and whenever you see him.

Maybe im wrong- but whens the last time we've seen a 'lets goooo tfc' post from him? or marketing/social media video snippets including him... or anything remotely positive vibe-lets make this work body language. There's no coach in the world can turn around a player when they're hellbent on fulfilling their own doom-n-gloom prophecy and are just going through motions and their morale is just permanently jaded and pissed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking at the official TFC website - more exactly at the "latest news" and the "videos" webpages.

The last "news" is dated on July 16, and it's an article aboout the last official match (vs Chicago Fire).
    The last video posted is postgame sound (with Sapong) after the same match, dated July 15.

Now we are on July 25, and in least than 36 hours TFC has a match with New York in Leagues Cup.
    Plus we are in the middle of the summer transfer window.

How much of and insult and a huge FU to the front office of TFC would have been even 2 years ago such a gross lack of any kind of communication towards the supporter base?
    And what it has became today? The norm?

How clear it became that the TFC front office/management does not give even a flying fart about the supporters and fans of this team?

It's also an indication that they don't care at all about this coming "Leagues Cup", or an indication that someone (anybody?) who is the head of communications, public relations has no idea how to do his job, or an indication that his hands are totally in chains?
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 07-25-2023 at 06:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I see it more as evidence of the possibility that Manning is already gone. That he is not being allowed to replace anyone.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”