Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Hold onto your hats kids, Jesse Marsh was fired by Leeds meaning… Chris Armas is the interim caretaker manager for the next few games against Manchester United.
    Bwahaha. There's not too many abject failures in MLS that manage not only to get into the EPL, but even continue to get jobs after also failing in the EPL. This guy must have amazing networking skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Bwahaha. There's not too many abject failures in MLS that manage not only to get into the EPL, but even continue to get jobs after also failing in the EPL. This guy must have amazing networking skills.
    They're only keeping him on because he's definitely going when the new guy comes in. They need an interim until someone is picked and they've canned the rest.

To me, Rangnick and Marsch (also at leipzig) have now demonstrated Gegenpress is an outdated tactic against top talent, which can low block it into irrelevancy. Without poor defenders allowing space in the box that they shouldn't, it just clutters it up too much and prevents solid chances, while leaving the defense exposed.

Armas proved it here, they've proved it there. The only time it works is when the gegenpress team has league-leading defense (Salzburg under Marsch, his NYRB team when Aaron Long was breaking through) and skilled enough attackers to bypass the low block. At the Premier League level, the latter happens zero times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably the best example of failing upwards.

I am going to enjoy Leeds getting smashed.

Let's go ManU!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red Bull philosophy has its limits - beats us most times but can't beat a low block & can't survive a whole season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that Marsch, as you'd expect, is now being named in speculation for the USMNT job. Wonder if his dedication to gegenpress will sandbag that? Just can't see it being a good national team strategy for reasons Jloome said. Can Marsch do anything else?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Probably the best example of failing upwards.

I am going to enjoy Leeds getting smashed.

Let's go ManU!
    This is REALLY bad news for me as I didn't triple captain Rashford in my fantasy Premier League.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh look, its an MLS playoff format change

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Interesting that Marsch, as you'd expect, is now being named in speculation for the USMNT job. Wonder if his dedication to gegenpress will sandbag that? Just can't see it being a good national team strategy for reasons Jloome said. Can Marsch do anything else?

Funny thing is when he was at Club Foot, he was not a "must do this thing always" sort of manager. Then he went to NYRB & drank the energy drink kool-aid & seems stuck.

Guy needs a venue where the press is not necessary to succeed. (if BB went south, we could do a lot worse, to be honest)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh look, its an MLS playoff format change

Am I reading this right, we move from single knockout to North American 2 out of 3 for each round?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Am I reading this right, we move from single knockout to North American 2 out of 3 for each round?
    First round only. Then it's single knockout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best or three? Really?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That they're considering top nine in each conference making the playoffs is a bit too much. While I can accept that MLS will never get rid of the playoffs, season performance has to mean something (like in the rest of the world). Using last standings, Charlotte finished 9th with 13 wins, 18 losses, and 3 draws. They had more losses than wins+draws combined. The fact that a team can lose that much then get hot at the right time (win three matches when it becomes single knockout time as one-rounder games have greater potential for upsets than multi-games) and be the champion is not right. There has to be some reward for teams that were consistently good (I know they get to be the home team, but still)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The business mentality of playoffs = revenue is really causing them to overlook a lot here. They should have a MLB / Liga MX sort of cut-off with a limited number of teams included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FFS just go back to the 2 legs for the playoff series and stop trying to follow the NHL, NBA, and MLB

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the issues with best of 3 is once you get the first win, you can play defensive in the next one in order to get to the PK scenario.

Call this the Brian Schmetzer tactical ploy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever they choose, they have absolutely got to stick with.

The best competitions are steeped in tradition. Traditions don't change on a yearly basis.

Personally, I would be OK with single game or two legged playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring back 2 leg quarters and semis !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Whatever they choose, they have absolutely got to stick with. The best competitions are steeped in tradition. Traditions don't change on a yearly basis.
    Personally, I would be OK with single game or two legged playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Bring back 2 leg quarters and semis !!
    Agree with these. Tradition matters; and not a new one every few years! I would prefer 2 leg quarters and semis with a single game final.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That they're considering top nine in each conference making the playoffs is a bit too much. While I can accept that MLS will never get rid of the playoffs, season performance has to mean something (like in the rest of the world). Using last standings, Charlotte finished 9th with 13 wins, 18 losses, and 3 draws. They had more losses than wins+draws combined. The fact that a team can lose that much then get hot at the right time (win three matches when it becomes single knockout time as one-rounder games have greater potential for upsets than multi-games) and be the champion is not right. There has to be some reward for teams that were consistently good (I know they get to be the home team, but still)
    Yeah I agree with you here, it's not right that a team could potentially pull this off. So another example might be a team that is in the top 4 could start heavily rotating the squad through the last maybe 10 games and just not care about results as they can put on their starters and turn it up in the playoffs. Not sure how many teams would implement that strategy.

But I agree with what was said above, it needs to go back to a 2 leg playoffs as it's only fair for the teams that are doing well that season (you would still get upsets), and they need to leave it alone and stop changing things.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I watched the video of BB tonight & apart from the "we are always looking to get better" bit where he mentioned the midfield they haven't really done anything about, the most interesting part was his "I don't like your wording" to a Michael Singh question about motivation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I watched the video of BB tonight & apart from the "we are always looking to get better" bit where he mentioned the midfield they haven't really done anything about, the most interesting part was his "I don't like your wording" to a Michael Singh question about motivation.
    Singh was framing a bunch of unqualified statements about the Italians settling in as fact, or even open discussion, and Bradley basically smacked him down for asking leading questions.

It's actually not a bad tactic on Singh's part but there are always some people more prickly about it than others, on the assumption any affirmation will be used as a backward confirmation of the initial proposal.

I mean, when interviewing really difficult subjects -- criminals, corrupt officials etc -- it was standard practise back in the day to affirm the unknown or frame a question as a sympathetic statement to get them at ease and willing to talk.

The nastier the individual, the more likely it was the inner terror that spawned their emotional disconnection or narcissism would cause them to cling to that "opportunity" to tell their side, like a man jumping overboard holding the anchor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, Singh brings too many of his own ideas and suppositions to his work. He still has much to learn, but it's always good to have more people working in this space. We need more reporting!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New names dropped for Apple MLS coverage

Of note

Paul Dolan

Blake Price

Greg Sutton

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/apple...ities-to-the-m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he could just answered the question lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    he could just answered the question lol.
    Nah, from his perspective he wants Singh to understand that supposition isn't a good framework for an honest answer. It's pushing the answer in the direction of an angle the writer has already dreamed up before checking on whether it's true.

But it's pretty common. I suspect as Singh is young, Bob is deliberately harder on him to try to encourage him to play it as straight as possible.

I just want one person to ask a tactical, football based question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Nah, from his perspective he wants Singh to understand that supposition isn't a good framework for an honest answer. It's pushing the answer in the direction of an angle the writer has already dreamed up before checking on whether it's true.

But it's pretty common. I suspect as Singh is young, Bob is deliberately harder on him to try to encourage him to play it as straight as possible.

I just want one person to ask a tactical, football based question.

I wonder how I can get in on the press conferences lol- Im sure I'd get kicked out after my first question lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of football tradition...

People have often crapped on the notion that US franchise owners would ever allow promotion/relegation. But the most commonly cited reason for following Wrexham by US fans of the documentary show "Welcome to Wrexham" is the notion that a team can be promoted up leagues... and they are now so popular in the U.S. that ESPN has shown two of their games in primetime.

Go look at the comments from their fans and you'll see repeatedly "I don't even follow MLS/I've never been to an MLS game, but the idea that a team from a small community means so much and has a chance to ...etc etc"

They've totally bought into promo/relegation before they've even bought into their own domestic league.

Doubtless, the nature of bias being what it is, this will be completely missed in the U.S.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Speaking of football tradition...

People have often crapped on the notion that US franchise owners would ever allow promotion/relegation. But the most commonly cited reason for following Wrexham by US fans of the documentary show "Welcome to Wrexham" is the notion that a team can be promoted up leagues... and they are now so popular in the U.S. that ESPN has shown two of their games in primetime.

Go look at the comments from their fans and you'll see repeatedly "I don't even follow MLS/I've never been to an MLS game, but the idea that a team from a small community means so much and has a chance to ...etc etc"

They've totally bought into promo/relegation before they've even bought into their own domestic league.

Doubtless, the nature of bias being what it is, this will be completely missed in the U.S.

As a supporter of Barrow AFC.... I find US based people's ideas of relegation totally skewed by the Cinderella fairy tales - Wrexham fits that.

Where do we talk about Chester or Darlington or Hereford or Scarborough?

All those teams went bust after dropping out of the league system.

Barrow took 48 years to come back

PAH....all those US based pro/rel people have NEVER followed a lower league team that got relegated.

They have no clue what the rel bit of that means. And until they do, or somebody pro/rel can explain to me why the rel bit is worth it....I don't buy into ANYBODY in US soccer going down that route.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-09-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Someone in my life is a Preston North End supporter. It is a tortured fan base, complete agony.

They were a First Division stalwart, sometimes a powerhouse, for many decades, and via that history, have a significant following, passed down from parent to child.

They went down in 1960… and have never made it back. 60+ years in the wilderness, most of them in the lower two leagues. Went bust a couple of times.
    Last edited by ensco; 02-09-2023 at 10:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Someone in my life is a Preston North End supporter. It is a tortured fan base, complete agony.

They were a First Division stalwart, sometimes a powerhouse, for many decades, and via that history, have a significant following, passed down from parent to child.

They went down in 1960… and have never made it back. 60+ years in the wilderness, most of them in the lower two leagues. Went bust a couple of times.
    Also briefly home to Taylor Twellman, early in his career. (HE was on loan to them in Champ Manager circa 1999).

It's difficult, English football. Communities are so close together that they bleed fans when a nearby larger city club gets big. But beyond that, it's a community endeavour, usually, to keep them running.

TFC, meanwhile, is sending multiple youth teams to a big tournament in Dallas.

https://3rddegree.net/host-club-fc-d...up-super-group