Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They also use the former players as an informal network. Johnston was recommended to them by Wanyama. As far as I can tell, most of our former players don't really have MLSE on their Christmas card list.
    Good point. We don’t seem to have them on our list either.

Johnson has been great news. He’s a very smart player with balls who was prepared perfectly to play for Celtic by Nancy and Herdman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone has a link to an in depth piece on how Celtic did it, would love to see that. I tip my hat to them.

Everybody says they want to become Benfica or Dortmund, but in reality… it's freaking hard to do. Atlanta hit with Almiron but lost so much money so fast on everyone else that they got mostly chased out that market.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure that fully fair on Atlanta. They also had Martinez and will soon break both records when they sell Almada. They aren't Porto and aren't even profitable, but there's more there than one player and everything else is a flop

I think we could learn a lot from them, even though they are far from perfect. The general concept of spending money on players with resale value is something our FO ignores and means, net spend, we have to throw so so much more cash away on DPs then they do. They don't all have to hit, you don't even need to do it profitably, but return enough $$ to offset some spending and you can justify investing in some high quality players. Our DPs return absolutely nothing on transfer fees, so beyond tickets sold, from a financial perspective they cost so much more than Atlanta spending the same money on someone

Ideally you invest in scouting and do it better than they do, but the general approach is a smarter one than what we're currently doing
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 05-09-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If someone has a link to an in depth piece on how Celtic did it, would love to see that. I tip my hat to them.

Everybody says they want to become Benfica or Dortmund, but in reality… it's freaking hard to do. Atlanta hit with Almiron but lost so much money so fast on everyone else that they got mostly chased out that market.
    They went global. They really didn't concentrate on any one area; they have players from asia-pacific, from Africa, from eastern Europe.

Plus, they have the cachet of Champions League and they can spend their $27m on a balanced squad, not $20M on two players, $6M on six others, and then $7M on the entire rest of the team.

Once you get past our TAM and DP players, only $7M of our budget pays for the entire remaining 20 roster players. We have eight players commanding $26M.

If they change the MLS rules to get rid of all this shit in 2024 as is rumored, the league is going to change big time. But you can see now why they would: revenues and expectations have reached the point where they're willing to spend that much anyway; forcing them to only spend it on foreign names no longer benefits the league. They're much better off ramping up the overall quality now and not focusing on US players as much.

EDIT: As for the 3-1 return for Celtic, that's skewed heavily by sales being mostly to England, where teams massively overpay right now, and to mega clubs in Europe who are willing to cough up similar. That's how important it is for them to be in Champions League; it's basically window shopping for bigger teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flood of resale tickets available tonight driving down ticket prices.

https://old.reddit.com/r/tfc/comment...p_for_tonight/

People can't be arsed because it's Tuesday and we suck.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A flood of resale tickets available tonight driving down ticket prices.

https://old.reddit.com/r/tfc/comment...p_for_tonight/

People can't be arsed because it's Tuesday and we suck.
    7PM start doesn't help too on a weekday with rush hour traffic and all in the T-dot. I am working from home in the east end and still having to stop my work early today to make sure I am not sitting on the Gardiner while kickoff is happening. I would have like to have seen 8PM kickoff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Not sure that fully fair on Atlanta. They also had Martinez and will soon break both records when they sell Almada. They aren't Porto and aren't even profitable, but there's more there than one player and everything else is a flop

I think we could learn a lot from them, even though they are far from perfect. The general concept of spending money on players with resale value is something our FO ignores and means, net spend, we have to throw so so much more cash away on DPs then they do. They don't all have to hit, you don't even need to do it profitably, but return enough $$ to offset some spending and you can justify investing in some high quality players. Our DPs return absolutely nothing on transfer fees, so beyond tickets sold, from a financial perspective they cost so much more than Atlanta spending the same money on someone

Ideally you invest in scouting and do it better than they do, but the general approach is a smarter one than what we're currently doing
    You have a point - it isn't that black and white.

v1.0, Atlanta went big on Barco, Almiron, Pity Martinez. I think they maybe broke even on those guys or even made some money, but it was a wild ride, it obviously scared them.

v2.0, Araujo and Almada. I don't really understand what Atlanta did with Almada tbh. he was nothing like the other guys, way more expensive, way better known, but European teams were scared because of off field stuff. It's a whole other level of bet. Araujo was alos extremely well known, he was in Ligue Un. They will seemingly lose millions on Araujo, based on what I can find.

But you are right - they are still a selling club, with ambition, which is interesting. But v2 looks different than v1 (and v1 is the Celtic model that interested me)
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    You have a point - it isn't that black and white.

v1.0, Atlanta went big on Barco, Almiron, Pity Martinez. I think they maybe broke even on those guys or even made some money, but it was a wild ride, it obviously scared them.

v2.0, Araujo and Almada. I don't really understand what Atlanta did with Almada tbh. he was nothing like the other guys, way more expensive, way better known, but European teams were scared because of off field stuff. It's a whole other level of bet. Araujo was alos extremely well known, he was in Ligue Un. They will seemingly lose millions on Araujo, based on what I can find.

But you are right - they are still a selling club, with ambition, which is interesting. But v2 looks different than v1 (and v1 is the Celtic model that interested me)
    I don't think we can match anything like Celtic until wages are more equitably distributed.

Araujo is a real bust as an investment. He's a good player at MLS level but no better than that. It really does illustrate how many players at higher levels are lucky to be there.

Brenner was the same way. Cincy took a $4M loss on him, and I see people noting that it was like "renting" him for a $1M a year, which seems the optimistic way of looking at it. They'll get their money back if he hits performance bonuses, but there's no guarantee of that.

Sometimes tricky Brazilians fit well in tactically disciplined European football. Sometimes they Denilson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from all the bob Bradley stuff between the shit in the away stand and the stupidity with MAK on top of a long history of this shit can anyone explain to me why the cosplay wannabe ultras are still allowed at BMO field? The cringey weirdos are an embarrassment and this isn't an isolated incident

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from all the bob Bradley stuff between the shit in the away stand and the stupidity with MAK on top of a long history of this shit can anyone explain to me why the cosplay wannabe ultras are still allowed at BMO field? The cringey weirdos are an embarrassment and this isn't an isolated incident
    They've been banned before. Given how many were cheering that guy on, I expect they'll be banned again. Just idiots.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When they behave, they are the loudest group in the south & do not stop singing - they lead the chants. While they remain in that spot, they link the RPB & the Kings.

Based on last night, I know what should happen is they get moved out & RPB get that spot but the politics involved is deadly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    When they behave, they are the loudest group in the south & do not stop singing - they lead the chants. While they remain in that spot, they link the RPB & the Kings.

Based on last night, I know what should happen is they get moved out & RPB get that spot but the politics involved is deadly.
    I just don't think 'but they're sometimes noisey' makes up for the bullshit they do in the name of playing dress up and pretend they're real ultras, at all. Even aside from the incidents, of which there are *many*, they're just embarrassing wannabe try hards in general

As someone in 115, I'm not even sure I agree on the noise. They're singing over the kings and vice versa far more often than they're singing together, and it cuts the kings off from the rest of the stand. While they are indeed loud, I'm not sure they as a whole make the stand louder as they seem intent on doing their own thing
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 05-10-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a pretty crazy goal from Bekker last night in Can Champ action:

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still the worst draft decision we ever made was to drop down to take Bekker....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still the worst draft decision we ever made was to drop down to take Bekker....
    Or Griffin Dorsey over St Clair.

I know Tajon was the main guy in that draft but he is gone now plus we probably would have traded him for GAM when he didn't convert well to FB. However St. Clair will be a good MLS GK for years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...gambling in MLS issue

Would not be surprised if this becomes a much bigger issue moving forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...gambling in MLS issue

Would not be surprised if this becomes a much bigger issue moving forward
    I wonder if anyone will investigate our suddenly inept former central defender, Salcedo. I'd never seen someone I was sure was throwing matches until that guy played for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly suspect the amount of that happening in the league would make people very uncomfortable. MLS is kind of the ideal place for gambling corruption now, it's accessible the world over, big enough that there is enough betting action that you can fly under the radar as you do it and small enough that there's enough players early such little wages that they could be very amenable to taking part in this kind of activity

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if anyone will investigate our suddenly inept former central defender, Salcedo. I'd never seen someone I was sure was throwing matches until that guy played for us.

I do remember a few inexplicable red cards & fouls.

I watched the match fixing stuff that went on in cricket awhile ago and would not be surprised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been saying it for years there is clear corruption amongst some of the MLS referee's.

Matching fixing is an issue the league doesnt want to address.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scuttlebutt is MLS is not going to accept San Diego Loyal of USL, as the two leagues are increasingly in opposition, and the Loyal's ownership group has neither a stadium plan nor $500M for a franchise fee.

They are, instead, going to go around Landon Donovan's team (good look, you have a fucking trophy named after him) and award it to a billionaire from Egypt who already owns several other team.

It's worth noting the Loyal already get MLS-sized crowds, so if nothing else, this shows the leagues are basically at war over locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do remember a few inexplicable red cards & fouls. I watched the match fixing stuff that went on in cricket awhile ago and would not be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I've been saying it for years there is clear corruption amongst some of the MLS referee's. Matching fixing is an issue the league doesnt want to address.
    Anti-corruption requires vigilance, cause...
    "Water’s wet, the sky is blue and old Satan Claus, Jimmy, he’s out there and he’s just getting stronger. So, what do we do about that? Be prepared, son. That’s my motto. Be prepared."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scuttlebutt is MLS is not going to accept San Diego Loyal of USL, as the two leagues are increasingly in opposition, and the Loyal's ownership group has neither a stadium plan nor $500M for a franchise fee. They are, instead, going to go around Landon Donovan's team (good look, you have a fucking trophy named after him) and award it to a billionaire from Egypt who already owns several other team. It's worth noting the Loyal already get MLS-sized crowds, so if nothing else, this shows the leagues are basically at war over locations.
    Wow! I misread, misjudged, didn't pay enough attention to, the expected direction that was supposed to go; for and not against the SDL. MLS flexing? Money talks; a 500M expansion fee record? I guess what goes around comes around to the SDL; re: 1904FC! Mohamed Mansour and his family/Group, interesting, very diversified; Egypt-dynasty, UK-politics, America-alumni. A connect to Snapdragon Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Wow! I misread, misjudged, didn't pay enough attention to, the expected direction that was supposed to go; for and not against the SDL. MLS flexing? Money talks; a 500M expansion fee record? I guess what goes around comes around to the SDL; re: 1904FC! Mohamed Mansour and his family/Group, interesting, very diversified; Egypt-dynasty, UK-politics, America-alumni. A connect to Snapdragon Stadium.
    Looks like soccer war in San Diego.

If nothing else, with the Loyal already having crowds of 25,000, we get to see if Americans will support a second division club at the same level as a first division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t realize the Loyal were getting those sorts of crowds. Their home stadium is listed at 6000 capacity.

It will be interesting to see if the two teams can coexist. The Loyal have some nice kits over the past couple of seasons and i would hate to see those disappear.
    Last edited by benito; 05-10-2023 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Didn’t realize the Loyal were getting those sorts of crowds. Their home stadium is listed at 6000 capacity.

It will be interesting to see if the two teams can coexist. The Loyal have some nice kits over the past couple of seasons and i would hate to see those disappear.
    They've had to rent a stadium to do it, don't remember which one. But they've marketed them as doubles with the women's team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like soccer war in San Diego. If nothing else, with the Loyal already having crowds of 25,000, we get to see if Americans will support a second division club at the same level as a first division.
    It sure does. Some social media chatter, hoping that, or expecting that because of eventually being financially boxed in, SDL will be acquired by MMG as their MLSNP club. Maybe?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunate for the Loyal. I don't really follow the USL much, but I know there are some well established teams like the Loyal and Phoenix Rising, who basically get screwed over by the closed system and lack of relationship between MLS and USL and the lack of pro/rel.

I get why MLS doesn't have/want pro/rel, but I wish the USSF was able to put in some protections for those markets that worked hard and then MLS just swoops in and says screw you. SDL put in all that effort to establish the market and then MLS comes in and could theoretically just destroy the franchise if fans flock to MLS because its a higher league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    It sure does. Some social media chatter, hoping that, or expecting that because of eventually being financially boxed in, SDL will be acquired by MMG as their MLSNP club. Maybe?
    For the Loyal's sake would hope not. MLSNP is basically just a reserve league, with basically a fanbase of friends and family. The one independent team last year (Rochester) folded after one year despite all their history as the Rhinos in the past. I would assume it's hard to get excited to face a league full of B teams. It's not like Europe where a 3rd division might have 1-2 B teams in a league of 20 (And the B team is a Barcelona B or something). How exciting would it be to face a San Jose B then a Kansas B week after week. Beneficial for MLS teams, but if I was a loyal Loyal fan, I'd rather be in USL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Unfortunate for the Loyal. I don't really follow the USL much, but I know there are some well established teams like the Loyal and Phoenix Rising, who basically get screwed over by the closed system and lack of relationship between MLS and USL and the lack of pro/rel.

I get why MLS doesn't have/want pro/rel, but I wish the USSF was able to put in some protections for those markets that worked hard and then MLS just swoops in and says screw you. SDL put in all that effort to establish the market and then MLS comes in and could theoretically just destroy the franchise if fans flock to MLS because its a higher league.
    At this point, how many mls cities/teams have origins in the usl/nasl?
    - Seattle
    - portland
    - Montreal
    - Vancouver
    - Cincinnati
    - Miami

I guess Miami is the only city that the previous club didn’t merge with the new mls entry and both teams still exist.
    Last edited by benito; 05-10-2023 at 09:19 PM.