Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacob Shaffelburg with a goal for Nashville last night in a 6-3 win over cincy.

Stupidest loss of a player ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• MLSsoccer.com predictions for TFC. Note the disparity between the site's 'pundits' and the ex-professionals.
    • Charles Boehm: 7th in East
    • Tom Bogert: 13th in East
    • Matt Doyle: 12th in East
    • David Gass: 9th in East
    • J. Sam Jones: 4th in East
    • Sacha Kljestan: 3rd in East
    • Kaylyn Kyle: 13th in East
    • Joseph Lowery: 6th in East
    • Melissa Ortiz: 8th in East
    • Danielle Slaton: 9th in East
    • Andrew Wiebe: 12th in East
    • Bradley Wright-Phillips: 5th in East

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried to sign up to MLS/Apple yesterday afternoon. An experience. Talk about digging my own on-line virtual hole. My daughter finally bailed me out with ease though; as well as, some annoyance and laughter. However, due to a prior commitment, was unable to watch the match live. Watched it later in the early morning hours. Streamed fine. Commentary was ok; what I could discern. Sound not good, suspect it will get much better. My only peeve, point of differentiation, against a TSN replay option was when I went to select to watch the match with their service I do not recall the score ever being displayed right beside the watch selection option. In this instance, I actually choose not to seek/follow real-time match updates; all for naught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Tried to sign up to MLS/Apple yesterday afternoon. An experience. Talk about digging my own on-line virtual hole. My daughter finally bailed me out with ease though; as well as, some annoyance and laughter. However, due to a prior commitment, was unable to watch the match live. Watched it later in the early morning hours. Streamed fine. Commentary was ok; what I could discern. Sound not good, suspect it will get much better. My only peeve, point of differentiation, against a TSN replay option was when I went to select to watch the match with their service I do not recall the score ever being displayed right beside the watch selection option. In this instance, I actually choose not to seek/follow real-time match updates; all for naught.
    You can turn those spoilers off in settings, it's a quick toggle. Now why they default to spoilers on instead of off is beyond me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can turn that off in the settings. Under a section labeled ‘Privacy’ you will find a toggle called ‘Show Sports Scores’ (On/Off)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    • MLSsoccer.com predictions for TFC. Note the disparity between the site's 'pundits' and the ex-professionals.
    The bookmakers side with the pundits. And I find that the best neutral source of true chance of winning you can find. I am frankly surprised how low they rate us but there you are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do we get pundits ranking TFC 3rd all the way down to 13th. What the hell?

Surely Insigne and Berna would at least get us into 7th place. It would be catastrophic if we don't make playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that wide array of odds - it perfectly reflects what I think. Anything could happen here.

One way to view this bet it is that about whether one or more of Fede and Lorenzo miss significant time.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure there is a Canadian based pundit there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to MLS, the bookmakers side with last year's results with slight favouring of NY teams due to people betting local.

We should be low for the bookies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    When it comes to MLS, the bookmakers side with last year's results with slight favouring of NY teams due to people betting local.

We should be low for the bookies.
    If their pricing was that simple it'd be trivial to make money sports betting but the reality is it's nearly impossible. Unloke pundits and everyone else the bookmakers actually have to back up what they think and if they're wrong they lose money, they're wrong infinitely less often than anyone who can just throw opinions into the ether as a result. I wouldn't dismiss their odds so easily

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with the problems, I think Toronto will make the playoffs. not so optimistic that we'll win any major championship (MLS Cup, SS) without another midfielder that can at least push MAK, but enough that we should be able to grab 25-30 points in the first 16 games before June and have beaten Club Foot+whoever comes up in the Semis to make the Canadian Championship. A 7-5-4 record gets us there and I don't think that's unreasonable:

DC, ATL, Columbus, Miami, SJ, Charlotte, Nashville, ATL (2) Philly, NYCFC, NER, Club Foot, NYRB, DC (2), Chicago Fire. That doesn't seam unreasonable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    You can turn those spoilers off in settings, it's a quick toggle. Now why they default to spoilers on instead of off is beyond me
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    You can turn that off in the settings. Under a section labeled ‘Privacy’ you will find a toggle called ‘Show Sports Scores’ (On/Off)
    Appreciated! Thank you both.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not sure there is a Canadian based pundit there.
    Kaylyn Kyle...
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    Even with the problems, I think Toronto will make the playoffs. not so optimistic that we'll win any major championship (MLS Cup, SS) without another midfielder that can at least push MAK, but enough that we should be able to grab 25-30 points in the first 16 games before June and have beaten Club Foot+whoever comes up in the Semis to make the Canadian Championship. A 7-5-4 record gets us there and I don't think that's unreasonable:

DC, ATL, Columbus, Miami, SJ, Charlotte, Nashville, ATL (2) Philly, NYCFC, NER, Club Foot, NYRB, DC (2), Chicago Fire. That doesn't seam unreasonable.
    And speaking of playoffs.......in case you're wondering the format for this season......

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ff-format.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciated! Thank you both.
    I turned this feature off as well which removes the score from the TFC club page but when going into MLS section of Apple TV it still had the splash page with the LA/TFC score. I really hope they get rid of the score from there too. I watch most games live but still. In the meantime have to train the eyes to look away and go to the TFC club page. Wish it gave the option to pick the club you follow and default to that page first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really feels this season like MLS has turned a corner in stature.

In the past, I figure we were a "discovery" league, like Sweden, Scotland and Switzerland. We signed enough foreign players that we were worth bigger leagues tracking, and we came up with the odd domestic gem

The lowest tier would be a "domestic discovery league", a la the English National League or CPL, where it's so limited financially that it's mostly local players who've flown under the radar or are starting over after being cut at bigger clubs.

Then we were in that "discovery league" sort of tier.

This year, I think MLS has moved into "selling league" tier, with places like Belgium, Turkey, Argentina and Belgium, where a mix of both foreign and domestic talent is drawing buyers.

Given the American media market's broader global influence and the love of American pop culture elsewhere, I suspect we might see an acceleration in league quality because of this once more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the new piece with the details

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-a...or-2023-season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best of three is so dumb IMO. Should just be most goals home and away game.
    And I really hate the fact that there is no extra time first before penalties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    The best of three is so dumb IMO. Should just be most goals home and away game.
    And I really hate the fact that there is no extra time first before penalties
    I sort of hope they're going to follow this up by stressing the Supporter's Shield as a major title, making a bigger deal of it. I don't like the playoff change, but if it gets people to weigh the importance of the balance of the season's games, that's a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS likes to take one step forward(Apple) and then two steps back(new playoff format). We also don't need more playoff teams, 60% qualifying is just dumb as f*ck.

I would like the Supporter's Shield to actually mean something but its largely irrelevant due to the unbalanced schedule, I cant take it seriously at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This new playoff format is shambolic. This clearly was not designed by anyone who actually knows the sport. What other crazy shit did they propose that didn’t get included in this years playoff format? A paintball match to break any draw at the end of the 90 mins? A cheer leader competition? Judges to award style points on goals making them worth up to 10 points vs the boring 1 point?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its the adding in of PKs after 90 minutes in the opening round that MLS really got wrong.

The lower seeds will be playing for PKs.

Most of those first round games are going to remind everyone of the problems with the World Cup group stage before they increased the value of a win to three points.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges is raring to go. This is the kind of dude we needed on defense, and have since Drew Moor left.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/soccer/...ho-can-stop-us

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hedges is raring to go. This is the kind of dude we needed on defense, and have since Drew Moor left.

https://ottawasun.com/sports/soccer/...ho-can-stop-us
    End of the article said VV suffered rib injury in pre-season and didn't practice with the team on Tuesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adidas extended the jersey contract with mls… 6 year deal worth a reported 830 million for both MLS and MLS II

News Relase

https://t.co/QJITXhjTdm

interview with garber

https://twitter.com/squawkcnbc/statu...470668801?s=12
    Last edited by TheGoodson; 02-22-2023 at 02:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Adidas extended the jersey contract with mls… 6 year deal worth a reported 830 million for both MLS and MLS II

News Relase

https://t.co/QJITXhjTdm

interview with garber

https://twitter.com/squawkcnbc/statu...470668801?s=12
    not to defend the big billion dollar conglomerate, but adidas can only do so much with what MLS teams give them direction-wise, they do have some good kits (as evidenced by this year sans TFC)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    not to defend the big billion dollar conglomerate, but adidas can only do so much with what MLS teams give them direction-wise, they do have some good kits (as evidenced by this year sans TFC)
    This is an interesting read from a couple years ago about the process and all the things that go into the design. I remember a TFC interview many years ago with someone saying they had not much flexibility at all from Adidas. I guess that maybe changed year to year. Seems like according to the article Adidas pays the most attention to clubs with larger sales. Not surprised I guess.

https://theathletic.com/1586210/2020...esign-process/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Bez has an interview with the local C-Bus paper

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sport...t/69928942007/

Says his team is going to follow Philly's approach.

Part of me is thinking he is just dealing with what he has in place - an ownership group unwilling to spend a lot of money coupled with getting in a coach who prefers a long term plan over showy players - and finding an example of where that approach is drawn from.