Page 32 of 42 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe after getting worked by Arsenal last night the league can rethink this stupid ASG nonsense. It doesn’t work well in every sport. Nobody ever said the NFL is suffering because the pro bowl is an afterthought.

If this league keeps going the way it’s going in terms of scheduling I’m going to warm up to the idea of a more top flight Canadian League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe after getting worked by Arsenal last night the league can rethink this stupid ASG nonsense. It doesn’t work well in every sport. Nobody ever said the NFL is suffering because the pro bowl is an afterthought.

If this league keeps going the way it’s going in terms of scheduling I’m going to warm up to the idea of a more top flight Canadian League.
    It’s entertainment and it’s basically America that’s just how things are done on this side of the world , don’t know why people get all worked up about All Star games , it makes the league money and no one really cares about the result if the MLS all stars had won would the rest of the world really think much into that result if they would have won? I’m terms of the CPL they have a few teams already struggling financially, I’ve been to a few York United games and my nephews rep team gets more people to their games . They have a few teams playing in massive stadiums and only drawing like a couple of thousand a game , going to an ugly stadium like Tim Hortons Field is bad enough when it’s packed , but try watching a game there when their are only a couple of thousand there .
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 07-20-2023 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m going to warm up to the idea of a more top flight Canadian League.
    This is a juxtaposition.

Nothing top flight about CPL in reality but I agree about the ASG. It's pointless and a waste of time. They should name the team the week leading up to MLS Cup and make a big deal of it during the cup's half time show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The current format of the all star game is dumb and a no win situation. If the mls team wins, people will say the invited team is in preseason form and a meaningless exhibition. If the invited team wins, people will say the mls lacks quality and their best players can’t beat a club team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This is a juxtaposition.

Nothing top flight about CPL in reality but I agree about the ASG. It's pointless and a waste of time. They should name the team the week leading up to MLS Cup and make a big deal of it during the cup's half time show.
    I think they should change the format so that the WORST MLS team from the season prior has to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Bayern Munich etc.

Might be some impetus into teams like ours is they face the prospect of substantial embarrassment annually. Mind you, probably not the best idea commercially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    It’s entertainment and it’s basically America that’s just how things are done on this side of the world , don’t know why people get all worked up about All Star games , it makes the league money and no one really cares about the result if the MLS all stars had won would the rest of the world really think much into that result if they would have won? I’m terms of the CPL they have a few teams already struggling financially, I’ve been to a few York United games and my nephews rep team gets more people to their games . They have a few teams playing in massive stadiums and only drawing like a couple of thousand a game , going to an ugly stadium like Tim Hortons Field is bad enough when it’s packed , but try watching a game there when their are only a couple of thousand there .
    Please take that part about being in a Canadian league as hyperbole and frustration more than anything else. I know it’s a huge long shot.

I am just frustrated with MLS at the moment because the way they’ve organized basically allows for a dogshit regular season and a diluted playoff format. There is too much pandering to Mexican ex-pats. Too many games on international dates while using conflicted time slots for nonsense like this league cup and the ASG.

Basically, I what I want from MLS something in the format of European football and if it has playoffs I’m not offended. But some of the other stuff they’ve done in recent years really rubs me the wrong way.

This league turned the corner when it started to try to look more like traditional football. Ditched shootouts, followed FIFA rules, told new clubs they had to have SSS. But then, they started putting water in the wine and making exceptions in the name of chasing expansion dollars. The overall picture currently looks quite sloppy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a juxtaposition.

Yes I agree. It’s complicated. Not to repeat my post above but I’m just pissed off at MLS’s scheduling / format at the moment. It’s dumb.

RPB Member
    President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they are going to keep the All-Star game, just do it East vs West! and honestly have the winner get Home Advantage for the MLS Cup Finals.. similar to Baseball if im not mistaken

Then things may get a bit more interesting.
    Road Games:
    2013, 2014, 2015 - Montreal; 2016 - Montreal (Leg 1 Conference Final); 2017 - NYRB (Leg 1 Eastern Semi), Columbus (Leg 1 Eastern Finals); 2019 - Seattle (MLS Finals)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I agree. It’s complicated. Not to repeat my post above but I’m just pissed off at MLS’s scheduling / format at the moment. It’s dumb.
    I hate this Leagues Cup break. If anything it should run concurrent with the season like the FA Cup. This break sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this Leagues Cup break. If anything it should run concurrent with the season like the FA Cup. This break sucks.
    I couldn't agree more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I couldn't agree more.
    Isn't there already the us open cup/ canadian championships for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SHOCKER, Soteldo out at Santos for poor discipline, looking for a new team.

https://trivela.com.br/brasil/santos-soteldo-mercado/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

santos changes coaches every few months though and soteldo just signed until 2027 and this coach hasnt been getting results...so who knows maybe the next coach likes him and he stays or returns after a loan...speaking of santos, auro wasnt able to be more than a backup there and is now playing in kazakhstan...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BendItLikeGio View Post
    If they are going to keep the All-Star game, just do it East vs West! and honestly have the winner get Home Advantage for the MLS Cup Finals.. similar to Baseball if im not mistaken Then things may get a bit more interesting.
    Now that's some good thinking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at least we are not dealing with a racist player situation for a year right? hopefully we would get rid of the player as soon as this would happen the first time...dc let it go last time when he said it to an opponent in a game last year and this time he said it to a teammate

https://www.dcunited.com/news/two-d-...strative-leave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaka Hislop collapses/faints during the ACM/RM telecast of the Euro Club friendlies series in the USA; by subsequent reports he's OK. Dan Thomas? Like the true senior frat-boy beer drinking 'co-presenter champ' he is, like on a highlighted Ridiculousness college kegger incident segment, holds onto, 'saves', the microphone all through the incident 'broadcasting-pleas for help' instead of catching, attending to and comforting his colleague. Be useful in the moment, 'leave the gun, take the cannoli' Dan!

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-24-2023 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn that looked scary. Hope he is alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this may be a little off topic for the thread, but worth mentioning.

I think footbal has proper jumped the shark, we're in the end times.

What the Saudis are doing is just insane.

A third of a billion transfer fees? Hundreds of millions in wages?

A war is coming. UEFA isn't going to sit and watch.
    Last edited by Richard; 07-24-2023 at 12:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading Twitter (X?) and seeing the New Yorker dunk on themselves and eurosnobs at the same time with a pretty lame attempt at an article on Messi is rather glorious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearts' local paper in Scotland had Jayden Nelsen as Rosenborg's main player/threat in their team guide to the first round of Europa League. Nelsen has struggled relative to expectations, with two goals and three assists in his first 12 games. Looks better as an attacking central player, but we already knew that. They tried him at wing and got nowhere but he's done better inside.

I noticed they also sat him for a couple of games in a row, so some actual coaching relative to shortcomings might be happening. May be a good player yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    at least we are not dealing with a racist player situation for a year right? hopefully we would get rid of the player as soon as this would happen the first time...dc let it go last time when he said it to an opponent in a game last year and this time he said it to a teammate

https://www.dcunited.com/news/two-d-...strative-leave

Bit of a size difference, hope Robertha gave him a proper thumping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So this may be a little off topic for the thread, but worth mentioning.

I think footbal has proper jumped the shark, we're in the end times.

What the Saudis are doing is just insane.

A third of a billion transfer fees? Hundreds of millions in wages?

A war is coming. UEFA isn't going to sit and watch.
    Hard to understand the long-term strategy. The Premier League has actual revenue. There is no way the Saudi Pro League will ever enjoy TV or ad revenue anywhere close to what the Premier League commands.

The current Premier League broadcast deal for 2022-2025 is £10.4 billion compared to the Saudi league deal, which is £1.37 billion for 2018-2028.

In the end it is all about ego and prestige, which historically usually doesn't end well.
    Last edited by wopchop; 07-24-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Hard to understand the long-term strategy. The Premier League has actual revenue. There is no way the Saudi Pro League will ever enjoy TV or ad revenue anywhere close to what the Premier League commands.

The current Premier League broadcast deal for 2022-2025 is £10.4 billion compared to the Saudi league deal, which is £1.37 billion for 2018-2028.

In the end it is all about ego and prestige, which historically usually doesn't end well.
    It’s not about sports or the business of sports at all. It’s about buying influence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s not about sports or the business of sports at all. It’s about buying influence.
    I get that. But that won't last forever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that. But that won't last forever.
    Doesn't have to. This is all a big push to be considered a more socially acceptable country by the time peak oil is dead.

They've spent the last 30 years, like China, diversifying their overseas holdings into billions in real estate and civic services -- hard needs -- across North America and Europe. It's calculated. They want to be seen as just as wealthy and influential in a post-oil world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Doesn't have to. This is all a big push to be considered a more socially acceptable country by the time peak oil is dead.

They've spent the last 30 years, like China, diversifying their overseas holdings into billions in real estate and civic services -- hard needs -- across North America and Europe. It's calculated. They want to be seen as just as wealthy and influential in a post-oil world.
    Yes, I get that. And those kind of diversifications make sense. Football does not, at least not their own league. Newcastle is a bit different.
    Do you know anyone taking the Saudi league seriously because Ronaldo went? My family is Portuguese, and I can't think of a single one.
    Even China's belt & road is floundering now - clients are suffocating in debt, China is slowing down, and it remains to be seen if it will be successful long term.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even China's belt & road is floundering now - clients are floundering in debt,
    I think this is exactly what they want, Straight out of the World Bank playbook. Get ‘em up to their eyeballs in debt and then swoop in as the “saviour” (buy their strategic assets on the cheap, cementing your political influence in the process).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I get that. And those kind of diversifications make sense. Football does not, at least not their own league. Newcastle is a bit different.
    Do you know anyone taking the Saudi league seriously because Ronaldo went? My family is Portuguese, and I can't think of a single one.
    Even China's belt & road is floundering now - clients are suffocating in debt, China is slowing down, and it remains to be seen if it will be successful long term.
    I suspect they know that, but they're banking on a TV deal or pay-per-view providing that outside access. I think you're right though, it's delusional to think what amounts to a 'pro stars' retirement league -- because EVERYONE they're signing is over 30 and near the end of their run -- is going to crack the TV code for them. People will tune in to see Messi in Miami, and some will probably tune in to see the much-less likable Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi. But they're not tuning in for Jordan Henderson and Alain Saint-Maximin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well of course he is all in on AppleTV - he is getting paid.