Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just signed up! It's going to be so great not to miss any games this season, and to be able to watch them all in HD without having to scrounge around for streams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahem... so apparently there may be a pattern of behavior at play.

ST. PAUL -- Kemar Lawrence has joined Minnesota United for the tail end of its preseason work in Florida this week, a club spokesman told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday.

While the club continues to wait on Emanuel Reynoso — the star midfielder staying in Argentina for “personal issues” — the return of Lawrence is an encouraging development for the club and its left fullback position going into the 2023 season.
    Loons manager Adrian Heath said Monday that Lawrence was in his native Jamaica for “family issues” but was expected to arrive imminently. Lawrence, 30, ended up being truant for the opening three weeks of preseason work in January.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I just signed up! It's going to be so great not to miss any games this season, and to be able to watch them all in HD without having to scrounge around for streams.
    I will most likely have to sign up for this as I doubt TSN will get all the coverage for only Toronto games. Anyone who is interested, it looks like you can wait as all the first games on Feb 25 & 26 seem to be free on the apple streaming service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Unfortunately, MLS' deal with TSN means they'll only show one Canadian team game per week. So anyone wanting to get all TFC's games online is going to need Apple TV+, and if you opt out of their awful lineup of ex Yankee hacks, TSN Radio is voiced by.... Gareth Wheeler.

It's the worst of all possible scenario's commentary wise. We are truly fucked this season in terms of listening.

Maybe someone entertaining will start a decent watch-along channel. (Note provisos of 'someone entertaining' and 'decent'.)
    That’s a minimum of one MLS match per week on TSN/CTV/RDS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can afford Apple TV so it's fine, and for most everyone here the benefits of getting good access to the whole league is huge… but I really think that these narrowcasting models stunt interest when they are expensive. Not everybody is an “MLS Sicko” (this is a term of endearment, I promise!)

I bet a lot of people with interest just cannot do it. If they need the Leafs and Raps they still need cable. They have spouses and families, so they need Netflix and Disney and Apple and Crave and and and and….
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apple account is connected to my Apple ID, but our seasons are under my dads name and email. Does anyone know if this seasons pass can be connected to my Apple TV if my dad just uses my email for the offer ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I can afford Apple TV so it's fine, and for most everyone here the benefits of getting good access to the whole league is huge… but I really think that these narrowcasting models stunt interest when they are expensive. Not everybody is an “MLS Sicko” (this is a term of endearment, I promise!)

I bet a lot of people with interest just cannot do it. If they need the Leafs and Raps they still need cable. They have spouses and families, so they need Netflix and Disney and Apple and Crave and and and and….
    This is a big bet on the unknown. There's a whole lot of pros and a whole lot of cons with this deal, so it's a big gamble. But I think, given the absolutely dire performance of MLS on tv, it was probably one worth taking and the upside is enormous IF it pays off. But I do agree, this definitely hurts the league in some ways

I think they're doing the right thing and doing it smart (we still have local broadcast AND they're giving away and absurd amount of games for free, around 6 a week, no subscription required) and I do suspect this is a shrewrd play for the league but time will tell
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 02-02-2023 at 09:44 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doubt they are expecting a ton of paying subscribers, especially first year.

40% + of games will be available for free, either on TV or in front of a paywall on apple tv.

every single ST holder account has a free account has a free account and can share with up to 5 people. when you start to do these numbers, it starts to get big pretty quickly.

they are giving it away for free a ton, at least in year one. the gamble imo is to make the product good enough that enough people get hooked in first few years that they start to pay.

will be interesting to see how it goes. they have a long contract so time to get it right.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 02-02-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    This is a big bet on the unknown. There's a whole lot of pros and a whole lot of cons with this deal, so it's a big gamble. But I think, given the absolutely dire performance of MLS on tv, it was probably one worth taking and the upside is enormous IF it pays off. But I do agree, this definitely hurts the league in some ways

I think they're doing the right thing and doing it smart (we still have local broadcast AND they're giving away and absurd amount of games for free, around 6 a week, no subscription required) and I do suspect this is a shrewrd play for the league but time will tell
    They definitely needed to do something different, for sure, but…

This is where I howl at the moon and just feel old… OK here goes…

Why is everything so effing complicated? These “charging a ton to demographic X but giving a bunch away for free to demographic Y” business models, full of weird rules, are everywhere, why? Why do buying a cellphone or a plane ticket or picking a savings account all feel like you need to work at NASA to understand them?
    Last edited by ensco; 02-02-2023 at 10:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t know where to put this, but Joe Cho’s mother died last week. We (Red Patch Boys) should do something, and people who have his contact info should offer him condolences. Shoeless was an incredibly important part of our history and it’s not the same without Joe.

I have stopped posting or reading the boards since an ignorant poster relentlessly attacked me - if I want social media BS there are lots of other avenues - but will monitor this thread for the next day or so to ensure Joe is appropriately recognized by all of us Red Patch Boys. Unfortunately this is the only way I know how to spread the word, particularly in the off season. Can we have a day for Joe and Helen at a match?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They definitely needed to do something different, for sure, but…

This is where I howl at the moon and just feel old… OK here goes…

Why is everything so effing complicated? These “charging a ton to demographic X but giving a bunch away for free to demographic Y” business models, full of weird rules, are everywhere, why? Why do buying a cellphone or a plane ticket or picking a savings account all feel like you need to work at NASA to understand them?
    Speaking of old...I have to go get Apple TV up and running at both my parents and my in-laws so they can continue to watch TFC games. Anything not coming on cable is difficult to understand for the older older generation when it comes to TV viewing. They can barely use the DVR function to record and play back stuff. Never mind figuring out apps. But it is the way of the future. I am sure I am not alone in setting up the old folks for this new change.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Don’t know where to put this, but Joe Cho’s mother died last week. We (Red Patch Boys) should do something, and people who have his contact info should offer him condolences. Shoeless was an incredibly important part of our history and it’s not the same without Joe.

I have stopped posting or reading the boards since an ignorant poster relentlessly attacked me - if I want social media BS there are lots of other avenues - but will monitor this thread for the next day or so to ensure Joe is appropriately recognized by all of us Red Patch Boys. Unfortunately this is the only way I know how to spread the word, particularly in the off season. Can we have a day for Joe and Helen at a match?
    Please start a separate thread for this.

I'll quote your post in the Private RPB member part of the board as many members won't read the main section of the board (for the same reason you stopped posting).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Speaking of old...I have to go get Apple TV up and running at both my parents and my in-laws so they can continue to watch TFC games. Anything not coming on cable is difficult to understand for the older older generation when it comes to TV viewing. They can barely use the DVR function to record and play back stuff. Never mind figuring out apps. But it is the way of the future. I am sure I am not alone in setting up the old folks for this new change.

anyone have success signing up for apple tv? as a non apple user it said i had an account- i assumed thru my work phone- it wasnt the case- once i registered - wouldnt accept any password.

not impressed so far - if this is part of our 20 % increase - hopefully its fixed soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been there, the block function really helps.
    I for one always valued your posts, hopefully you’ll return.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A general air of civility has largely returned. Be good to have you back.

Edit: The RPB forum doesn't see much traffic. I'd post it on the RPB Facebook page, lots of the guys are on there every so often.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-03-2023 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone wondering, the Club World Cup is available on FIFA+, Fifa's free streaming service.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ here, here. Good to see you

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone wondering, the Club World Cup is available on FIFA+, Fifa's free streaming service.
    Here's the link. Seattle plays Feb 4.

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/art...p-live-on-fifa
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Been there, the block function really helps.
    I for one always valued your posts, hopefully you’ll return.
    Thanks Kamp. Both ways!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A general air of civility has largely returned. Be good to have you back.

Edit: The RPB forum doesn't see much traffic. I'd post it on the RPB Facebook page, lots of the guys are on there every so often.
    Thanks Jeremy. Good to be in touch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Oldtimer, and thanks for all your work on these boards.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking for interesting content involving Diomande, he is seen within a piece from Caleb Carr's "The Movement" series - "Being Muslim in MLS". Filmed a few years ago with LAFC teammates - features BB a lot.

As with everything else MLS these days, on Apple TV.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-04-2023 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahem... so apparently there may be a pattern of behavior at play.

ST. PAUL -- Kemar Lawrence has joined Minnesota United for the tail end of its preseason work in Florida this week, a club spokesman told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday.

While the club continues to wait on Emanuel Reynoso — the star midfielder staying in Argentina for “personal issues” — the return of Lawrence is an encouraging development for the club and its left fullback position going into the 2023 season.
    Loons manager Adrian Heath said Monday that Lawrence was in his native Jamaica for “family issues” but was expected to arrive imminently. Lawrence, 30, ended up being truant for the opening three weeks of preseason work in January.
    Appreciate the update. Great to have some written/journalistic confirmation and indication of a possible pattern as to what was rumoured/suspected. Seems accurate, so I would agree for that reason TFC/BB are now <more> covered/justified <professionally> in their decision from a supporter's perspective.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curious how the MLS/Apple deal will impact my ability to go to a local sports bar to watch games on weekends, if not available on SN/TSN.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else watching Seattle in Club World Cup? Or is it just too irritating...

0-0 in 70th minute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anybody else watching Seattle in Club World Cup? Or is it just too irritating...

0-0 in 70th minute
    Yeah, it's an interesting microcosm of MLS football versus the rest of the world.

You can see Seattle's overall skill and athleticism is well higher than Al Ahly's. But AL Ahly's players have technical skill and field vision, so they're still more effective and dangerous than they should be.

If MLS teams were as tactically and technically astute as European/African/Asian teams, this game would be a walk, as Seattle has controlled most of the actual offensive threat.

But they could still easily lose it, because their opponents have the technical understanding to take opportunities. Look at that little dink shot Ashar, their forward, hit that almost beat Frei: one little step, roll it toward the corner. In MLS, the player would've assumed their skill on the ball gave them extra time, and it usually doesn't.

We are a ball skill league. We are not a strong technical and tactical league. We have a league full of guys who can beat other players one-on-one all day; but we are not a league where they'll see the oblique angle runner, unseen by the defense, and hit him with a through ball. The vision, decisions and tactical movement still lag.
    Last edited by jloome; 02-04-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Haha and here I was just thinking that Seattle have more of the play but Al Ahly are better, as they get nearer the box on both ends, than Seattle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Haha and here I was just thinking that Seattle have more of the play but Al Ahly are better, as they get nearer the box on both ends, than Seattle
    They've been a little better in the second half, but that goal was literally their first shot on net.

Sounders were outshooting them 11-7, and only one from either sided on net up to that point.

EDIT: Why would they credit the striker? That was an OG, nothing but.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schadenfrude for the 2019 deflection in the MLS Cup final....

Poor poor game though.