Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I know there are some that love the night games so not all will agree but I really loved the day games (3:30 or 4:00). Aside from the weather being better most of the year, you could go to a game and then still have an evening to do something else. It was fantastic. Also good when I had the little ones with me years ago. Also worked out well when they were not brought to a game and instead dropped to their grandparents for the day instead of a late evening. Mine are all grown up now so not even a thing anymore but I get it from a parent with younger kids point of view too.
    I actually really like evening games, especially in the middle of summer. But it doesn't work very well with young kids. Some mix would be best. Shouldn't be all or nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So apparently the league is not letting teams put other CB's at a DP level of pay?

Might have made the Hedges sweepstakes easier for us but geez......

Single entity needs to be abolished. Always going to be seen as a micky mouse with nonsense like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I actually really like evening games, especially in the middle of summer. But it doesn't work very well with young kids. Some mix would be best. Shouldn't be all or nothing.
    Games in the evening should be reserved for special matches like champions league, cups, playoffs or the occasional rival matchup.

The daytime schedule should be majority of the season. They are shooting themselves in the foot by restricting the organic growth of a fanbase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Follow-up and FWIW…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone explain why this is so wildly different from the Forbes list?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...h=28ab1c1b286b

1) Real Madrid – $5.1 billion
    2) Barcelona – $5.1 billion
    3) Manchester United – $4.6 billion
    4) Liverpool – $4.45 billion
    5) Bayern Munich – $4.275 billion
    6) Manchester City – $4.25 billion
    7) Paris Saint-Germain – $3.2 billion
    8) Chelsea – $3.1 billion
    9) Juventus – $2.45 billion
    10) Tottenham – $2.35 billion
    11) Arsenal – $2.05 billion
    12) Borussia Dortmund – $1.8 billion
    13) Atletico Madrid – $1.5 billion
    14) AC Milan – $1.2 billion
    15) Inter Milan – $1 billion
    16) Everton – $940 million
    17) Leicester City – $925 million
    18) West Ham – $900 million
    19) Leeds United – $800 million
    20) Aston Villa – $750 million

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoza...h=28ab1c1b286b

1) Real Madrid – $5.1 billion
    2) Barcelona – $5.1 billion
    3) Manchester United – $4.6 billion
    4) Liverpool – $4.45 billion
    5) Bayern Munich – $4.275 billion
    6) Manchester City – $4.25 billion
    7) Paris Saint-Germain – $3.2 billion
    8) Chelsea – $3.1 billion
    9) Juventus – $2.45 billion
    10) Tottenham – $2.35 billion
    11) Arsenal – $2.05 billion
    12) Borussia Dortmund – $1.8 billion
    13) Atletico Madrid – $1.5 billion
    14) AC Milan – $1.2 billion
    15) Inter Milan – $1 billion
    16) Everton – $940 million
    17) Leicester City – $925 million
    18) West Ham – $900 million
    19) Leeds United – $800 million
    20) Aston Villa – $750 million
    Because they are all made up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by El Diego View Post
    Because they are all made up
    Lol.

What did Chelsea end up selling for? That's the most recent test of these valuations against actual selling price I think. United looks like it's going to sell in the $5 billion range so that's pretty close.

ed: Chelsea went for $5.4 billion. Did Frank lose them billions in value in just a few games as interim manager?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally:

- These are difficult to value assets for a couple of reasons. 1) a lot of information is strictly private. 2) Sports clubs have in certain quarters become trophies for the world elite. The actual transaction prices in the market can be as much about egos as anything else.
    - Have not seen the logic Sportico uses. Forbes used comparable transactions for their valuations but shared no more detail. This is acceptable methodology but, as is the case with a lot business valuations in finance, it is an art as much as a science. In some circumstances, two people can follow this approach and come up with wildly different but “correct” answers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would add that because MLS is an American league they are running the franchise values off the other big sports and since MLS is approaching or passing the NHL in overall viewership/attendance that they are basing it off that.

Like Arizona who plays in front of about as many people as York United do and at a university rink are worth around $460M then the MLS teams should be around where they are.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sportico is a sports trade journal. Forbes is a very reputable financial magazine. Given that club values are all about finances, I would tend to trust Forbes valuations more. But the real value for anything is what someone is willing to pay, so it's only when a sale happens that you know the true value of anything, valuations are ultimately based on rules of thumb that are just rough estimates based on historical sales.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Um... nope. I have no view of Sportico, to be clear, but I couldn't disagree more strongly about Forbes. It is almost 100% grifter clickbait. I can find another 10 links like this...

https://www.niemanlab.org/2022/02/an...ad-journalism/
    Last edited by ensco; 05-03-2023 at 06:31 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Um... nope. I have no view of Sportico, to be clear, but I couldn't disagree more strongly about Forbes. It is almost 100% grifter clickbait. I can find another 10 links like this...

There's no real relationship between the former magazine and the website, which will quite literally let anyone write for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. That is really a sign of the times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/messi...164407327.html

I think we need a Tom Bogert nosestretcher bingo card for this, for when the inevitable occurs… Here's some contributions, feel free to add.

——

“We had multiple zoom calls with his people. This was very very serious. This player took this opportunity very seriously”

”Miami are crestfallen, they were certain he was coming. Messi desperately wanted to come, the renovations to his Miami apartment were underway, and sources tell us he was already involved with management on other player additions.”

”Team officials are saying privately, ‘People would be shocked if they knew what we offered. Just shocked’. Miami is rumoured to have offered partial team ownership, which they valued at $500M”

“Sources tell me Miami was close….and the Loons were a surprise late bidder!”
    Last edited by ensco; 05-04-2023 at 07:07 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's no real relationship between the former magazine and the website, which will quite literally let anyone write for it.
    Thanks for that information. Someone like you who has worked in journalism knows things that we readers don't.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"David is stoic about this - he of all people understands the importance of all the discussions the Messi people had to consider. He was in there from the go - proactive & talking to Messi every few weeks."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/messi...164407327.html

I think we need a Tom Bogert nosestretcher bingo card for this, for when the inevitable occurs… Here's some contributions, feel free to add.

——

“We had multiple zoom calls with his people. This was very very serious. This player took this opportunity very seriously”

”Miami are crestfallen, they were certain he was coming. Messi desperately wanted to come, the renovations to his Miami apartment were underway, and sources tell us he was already involved with management on other player additions.”

”Team officials are saying privately, ‘People would be shocked if they knew what we offered. Just shocked’. Miami is rumoured to have offered partial team ownership, which they valued at $500M”

“Sources tell me Miami was close….and the Loons were a surprise late bidder!”
    I keep seeing Miami touted by MLS followers but no one mentioning where he was going on the trip that set off the whole PSG thing this week. And it wasn't Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep seeing Miami touted by MLS followers but no one mentioning where he was going on the trip that set off the whole PSG thing this week. And it wasn't Miami.
    One thing I know about Lionel he likes his money. He is not one who let's his heart lead his wallet astray, whatever tears he may cry whilst doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it wasn’t. Then again, Beckham did just come to visit him in Paris/at PSG. That whole PSG thing is just PR positioning by them; manufactured. According to Romano, PSG was informed by Messi’s camp/dad around a month ago about his decision to leave. Supposedly, no practice was originally scheduled for the couple of days involving this planned latest trip to the KSA- Al Hilal; then suddenly a change by PSG. Also, and ‘conveniently’ their ultras have been recently publicly protesting/demonstrating their displeasure with Messi; as well as, Neymar. Moreover, Messi and family, ‘with lots of luggage’, seem to be back in (his) Barcelona (home) for the suspension.

I BELIEVE! Messi to MLS! Even in the fever dream of to MLSE/TFC!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-04-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone catch Craig Forrest's little rant on Footyprime today?

They were talking about Halland playing for Bryn 2 as a 14-year-old and how by the time he got to City he had eight years of professional experience.

Comparatively, 22- and 23-year-old kids come out of Canadian and American colleges thinking they can play professionally immediately. I'm closely paraphrasing here:

"They have people blowing smoke up their asses telling them you're great, you're unique! Fuck off! No, you're not! You're not that good! If you were, you wouldn't be playing in fucking York or Calgary or wherever."

His co-presenter Jimmy Brennan then related his first year at TFC and having a U.S. college kid in pre-season who wanted to sub off during a scrimmage... and then thought he could sub back on at half time when he had his energy back. He didn't even know the rules to game outside of U.S. college.

I mean, I think we've all seen so much of this attitude among TFC youth that it's hardly surprising.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They were talking about Halland playing for Bryn 2 as a 14-year-old and how by the time he got to City he had eight years of professional experience.

Comparatively, 22- and 23-year-old kids come out of Canadian and American colleges thinking they can play professionally immediately. I'm closely paraphrasing here:

"They have people blowing smoke up their asses telling them you're great, you're unique! Fuck off! No, you're not! You're not that good! If you were, you wouldn't be playing in fucking York or Calgary or wherever."

His co-presenter Jimmy Brennan then related his first year at TFC and having a U.S. college kid in pre-season who wanted to sub off during a scrimmage... and then thought he could sub back on at half time when he had his energy back. He didn't even know the rules to game outside of U.S. college.

I mean, I think we've all seen so much of this attitude among TFC youth that it's hardly surprising.
    Yeah, no great surprise there. For comparison I think of Coello who had 12 years of La Liga academy training and then went to a US college. He’s 23 with some covid delay and TFC 2 but you imagine that he was was properly trained before college.

Btw, nice paraphrasing, hah. That sounds like Forest’s cadence and (more or less) language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like listening to these guys speak so candidly. They have their heads screwed on way straighter than most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a fun podcast. I started listening to a few months back and tend to agree with many of their views.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW; do not understand how connected this person may be…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    FWIW; do not understand how connected this person may be…

Expected to be San Diego, although the scuttlebutt up to now was they'd announced it around the all-star game. Their women's team and USL teams are both drawing really well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shaffelburg drew a penalty on a blazing 50 yard run last night. MacNaughton started and played 60 (formation chance for Nashville thereafter). Nashville won 3-0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic won their 53rd Scottish title today. I notice their payroll for this year is around $27M U.S., while ours is clocking in at $33M US.

Who thinks we could regularly beat Celtic?

I know it's unfair given that players will go there for less to be showcased in Champions League. But I doubt they'll go for that MUCH less.

It's probably easier building a team there cheaper as well, because they can sign any player from the UK, which has twice our population and ten times as much footballing depth.

But it's a bid dissuading to see how little depth and fluency our first team has given the spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic won their 53rd Scottish title today. I notice their payroll for this year is around $27M U.S., while ours is clocking in at $33M US.

I know it's unfair given that players will go there for less to be showcased in Champions League. But I doubt they'll go for that MUCH less.

It's probably easier building a team there cheaper as well, because they can sign any player from the UK, which has twice our population and ten times as much footballing depth.

But it's a bid dissuading to see how little depth and fluency our first team has given the spend.
    Half our yearly payroll is also tied into two players. We would struggle to make it out of English League 1 they way our roster is contructed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting your note about Celtic and their ability to sign any players from the UK. They've shown a willingness to spread their net far and wide. Celtic's recruitement in recent seasons has been outstanding and should be used as a template. Take their manager for instance Postecoglu. The season he came in, Celtic had lost the SPL the previous season by 25 points to Rangers. The Celtic board promised big changes and all the speculation pointed to Eddie Howe coming in as manager. That broke down after months of talks at last minute. Celtic then announced Postecoglu, he was ridiculed, no-one knew who he was, even though he's been successful in Australia and Japan.They'd went from highly rated young premier league manager to someone no-one knew. How wrong they were, his style of play, affectionately known as Ange ball has been outstanding. It's high press, high energy , pass and move all out attacking football. Where he has really shown his quality though is his player recruitement. Celtic although a huge club, Scottish teams get nowhere near the tv revenue english PL teams get so they have to shop wisely. He has raided the J league for a whole host of players who have all contributed to their success. The obvious one is Furuhashi at 4.5 million pounds, he's scored 42 goals in 51 spl games. The one for me though that shines out is Hatate in midfield, such a good player who I have no doubt will move in time to the PL, he cost 1.4 million pounds. They also raided the Israeli league for Abada, another great player, 3.6 million pound, only 21, again they will profit when he moves on. Jota, another fantastic young player they got from Portugal, 6.4 milliom pounds. Closer to home of course is young Alistair Johnston, who has been absolutely fantastic for them since he signed, he of course came from mls. Celtic have shown a willingness in their scouting to look at so called less fashionable leagues, they simply have to, they can't be throwing 20 plus million at one player, they simply can't afford it. I think teams in mls are stuck sometimes in thinking you can only recruit from south america or europe, Celtic are showing there is value and more importantly quality in other leagues as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Interesting your note about Celtic and their ability to sign any players from the UK. They've shown a willingness to spread their net far and wide. Celtic's recruitement in recent seasons has been outstanding and should be used as a template. Take their manager for instance Postecoglu. The season he came in, Celtic had lost the SPL the previous season by 25 points to Rangers. The Celtic board promised big changes and all the speculation pointed to Eddie Howe coming in as manager. That broke down after months of talks at last minute. Celtic then announced Postecoglu, he was ridiculed, no-one knew who he was, even though he's been successful in Australia and Japan.They'd went from highly rated young premier league manager to someone no-one knew. How wrong they were, his style of play, affectionately known as Ange ball has been outstanding. It's high press, high energy , pass and move all out attacking football. Where he has really shown his quality though is his player recruitement. Celtic although a huge club, Scottish teams get nowhere near the tv revenue english PL teams get so they have to shop wisely. He has raided the J league for a whole host of players who have all contributed to their success. The obvious one is Furuhashi at 4.5 million pounds, he's scored 42 goals in 51 spl games. The one for me though that shines out is Hatate in midfield, such a good player who I have no doubt will move in time to the PL, he cost 1.4 million pounds. They also raided the Israeli league for Abada, another great player, 3.6 million pound, only 21, again they will profit when he moves on. Jota, another fantastic young player they got from Portugal, 6.4 milliom pounds. Closer to home of course is young Alistair Johnston, who has been absolutely fantastic for them since he signed, he of course came from mls. Celtic have shown a willingness in their scouting to look at so called less fashionable leagues, they simply have to, they can't be throwing 20 plus million at one player, they simply can't afford it. I think teams in mls are stuck sometimes in thinking you can only recruit from south america or europe, Celtic are showing there is value and more importantly quality in other leagues as well.
    Someone in England was talking about Johnston the other day and the fact that Celtic expect to keep him for one more year before "Huge" offers come in from the Premier League.

They also noted the sell on value of signings from the last few years has been about 3-1. In other words, they've made about $3 profit for every $1 Celtic spends.

THAT is some amazing fucking scouting.

Postecoglou was a brilliant signing. I remember him getting excoriated by the Scottish reporters prior to the season and Aussie A-League and J-League fans saying, "nah, mate, he's fucking brilliant." They're all eating those comments now, pretty much.

They also use the former players as an informal network. Johnston was recommended to them by Wanyama. As far as I can tell, most of our former players don't really have MLSE on their Christmas card list.