Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdiddy View Post
    So Sponsorships aren't built for that in terms of directly winning customers over.

But think of all the media attention it gets in replays/live TV games that then BMO gets to have it's sponsorship, advertising and media everywhere.

Media tracks all those hits, those views, it help builds brand recognition.

That cost is building and maintaining brand recognition, so that if you are ever thinking of changing banks, then BMO may become more of a though process. Especially since BMO bought Bank of the West.
    A British comedian I like said last week, "People always ask why I love going on panel shows so much. I don't, I hate them. But when your job relies on being reasonably famous, you take whatever opportunities exist to remain continually in the public eye." Same deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Probably naive on my part, but as someone who spent a chunk of his life living outside Canada, Torontonians and Canadians in general have impostor syndrome about the size and importance of the city, whenever it's compared to something in NY and LA in particular.

It's a megacity of 10 million people and our owners have billions. Outside of the win column, that's pretty much on par with the other "biggest" clubs.
    Canada doesn't even have the best hockey league in the world, it's owned by Americans.

We're not going to be a bigger market when you got the #1 Gorilla as a neighbor.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Canada doesn't even have the best hockey league in the world, it's owned by Americans.

We're not going to be a bigger market when you got the #1 Gorilla as a neighbor.
    We are the 13th largest GDP for a city in North America. There is no way we are going to get a stadium deal for the price LAFC would get.

Thankfully, our attraction to players is not based on the same criteria and our owners are second only to NYC's in terms of cash flow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    BMO bought a California bank last year. The deal got approval this week.
    Bank of the West. BMO is slowly becoming an American Bank.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Bank of the West. BMO is slowly becoming an American Bank.
    It is the way it is for Canadian banks these days to keep growing. They are all international now. Some own more bank branches in the US than they do in Canada now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leagues Cup draw is done. We will play Atlas and NYCFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Leagues Cup draw is done. We will play Atlas and NYCFC.

Saw that on the MLS site. I can't recall if we have the tickets in our season package or if this is an add-on coming later. All games played at MLS stadiums so we get Atlas game for sure but NYCFC game might at the ballpark.
    Last edited by Joe Kool; 01-20-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Saw that on the MLS site. I can't recall if we have the tickets in our season package or if this is an add-on coming later.
    No home match in this first round because we are unseeded.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    No home match in this first round because we are unseeded.
    If they are being played at all MLS stadiums how are we playing Atlas if not at home? I must have missed that info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    If they are being played at all MLS stadiums how are we playing Atlas if not at home? I must have missed that info.
    I might be wrong. I’ll defer to someone who knows better.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t be surprised if we had to play them in Dallas or LA where they can (maybe?) cash in on a Mexican crowd. They definitely said Liga MX teams would play in US venues against each other.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Wouldn’t be surprised if we had to play them in Dallas or LA where they can (maybe?) cash in on a Mexican crowd. They definitely said Liga MX teams would play in US venues against each other.
    Yeah, I thought I’d seen the news that it was all happening on a fairly restricted scale. I assume the Mexican teams have nominally home games, just not at their own stadiums. And as unseeded we would have no choice in the matter.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 01-20-2023 at 03:05 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, so apparently the allocation order is no longer a thing

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, so apparently the allocation order is no longer a thing

Long run this is a good thing. I like to see some of the training wheels come off of the league. It was no longer playing its intended function of promoting parity anyway as MLS is now in competition for top talent. It was just costing teams that wanted a talent that happened to be on the list.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro with an article on BB & Analytics

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/tfc-mls-b...ata-analytics/

Paywalled but if there is one thing journalism wise TFC related worth paying for, its Molinaro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Long run this is a good thing. I like to see some of the training wheels come off of the league. It was no longer playing its intended function of promoting parity anyway as MLS is now in competition for top talent. It was just costing teams that wanted a talent that happened to be on the list.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I think this just replaces one backwards mechanism with another. So there’s no more allocation order but there is still “discovery” whereby a team has exclusive rights to negotiate with a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro with an article on BB & Analytics

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/tfc-mls-b...ata-analytics/

Paywalled but if there is one thing journalism wise TFC related worth paying for, its Molinaro.
    So Devin Pleuler, The- 'TFC Analytics Guy'- Director of, resigns some time in October22 and we find out just now near the end of January23? And that's ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    So Devin Pleuler, The- 'TFC Analytics Guy'- Director of, resigns some time in October22 and we find out just now near the end of January23? And that's ok?
    According to his twitter, he's still director of analytics, I think they just promoted him to head of the whole schebang for MLSE, not just TFC.

https://twitter.com/devinpleuler?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

EDIT: Yeah, he's head of the MLSE sporting lab.

I think, from Bradley's comments about the difficulties tying analytics to actual performance, this was more of a separation. It sounds like he's playing the diplomatic game of saying data analytics are important, because some teams are taking it on like it's a holy grail for performance. But he also has said more than once that making the data useful has been a challenge in the past.

So I'm not sure he's too worried by it.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-24-2023 at 12:40 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Correct me if I’m wrong but I think this just replaces one backwards mechanism with another. So there’s no more allocation order but there is still “discovery” whereby a team has exclusive rights to negotiate with a player.
    There always was "discovery" so one backward mechanism is being removed.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to his twitter, he's still director of analytics, I think they just promoted him to head of the whole schebang for MLSE, not just TFC.

https://twitter.com/devinpleuler?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

EDIT: Yeah, he's head of the MLSE sporting lab.

I think, from Bradley's comments about the difficulties tying analytics to actual performance, this was more of a separation. It sounds like he's playing the diplomatic game of saying data analytics are important, because some teams are taking it on like it's a holy grail for performance. But he also has said more than once that making the data useful has been a challenge in the past.

So I'm not sure he's too worried by it.
    Appreciate further info and clarifications. Yes, I think your take is most reasonable. DP enjoys upward mobility. No replacement? TFC may lean on MLSE SL with a familiar face? 3rd or 4th in line after TML and TR? BB positions any 'analytics' at arms length and his discretion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman making his first US Nats call on his new HBO deal as Brandon Vazquez scores in his first cap. He'll be at Leeds before too long, just watch.

https://twitter.com/USMNT/status/161...fall-to-serbia

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman going back to Leeds would be a thing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Wileman going back to Leeds would be a thing....
    Hah! Inadvertent accurate double entendre. "Luke Wileman, on Radio Five Live!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently Caldwell did a Sunderland game last weekend for sky or another network.lets hope its a full time gig.lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    apparently Caldwell did a Sunderland game last weekend for sky or another network.lets hope its a full time gig.lol
    Yes! Please God 🙏

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Unfortunately, MLS' deal with TSN means they'll only show one Canadian team game per week. So anyone wanting to get all TFC's games online is going to need Apple TV+, and if you opt out of their awful lineup of ex Yankee hacks, TSN Radio is voiced by.... Gareth Wheeler.

It's the worst of all possible scenario's commentary wise. We are truly fucked this season in terms of listening.

Maybe someone entertaining will start a decent watch-along channel. (Note provisos of 'someone entertaining' and 'decent'.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed that Phillies backup to Blake this year is Bendik. They better hope and pray Blake doesn’t get injured, otherwise it could be a game changer, in a bad way, for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, MLS' deal with TSN means they'll only show one Canadian team game per week. So anyone wanting to get all TFC's games online is going to need Apple TV+, and if you opt out of their awful lineup of ex Yankee hacks, TSN Radio is voiced by.... Gareth Wheeler.

It's the worst of all possible scenario's commentary wise. We are truly fucked this season in terms of listening.

Maybe someone entertaining will start a decent watch-along channel. (Note provisos of 'someone entertaining' and 'decent'.)
    If we cant get anyone with a brilliant read and commentary of the beautifully game then let’s go with this hilarious Scotsman. Can you imagine having him do commentary on Alex Bono mistakes? 🤣

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hlvo9dqdxcs

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vaguely MLS related but this is a very good tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Agree. Witty. Apropos... 'It's not personal, it's strictly business'... 'Today, [to close this cycle], I settle all family business'. Somehow USMNT is self-regulating/managing itself of the static.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-27-2023 at 10:28 AM.