Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Next Coach discussion - update Herdman is now coach

We can dream of a top European coach coming in, I just don't see that happening. Much more likely a known MLS coach (most likely American).

If Bill decided to bring back the past the two top coaches have been Greg Vanney and Chris Cummins.

The most winning coach is TFC history was Greg Vanney. He might welcome a return if he had actual control. He's not doing well in LA, but it's not all his fault, there's factors beyond his control for that.

The next most winning coach was Chris Cummins. He might want to come back now that Mo Johnston isn't in charge. He's currently managing a non-league team in England whose main stand looks like this:

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn't this be "[Insert name later] deathwatch" thread? I'm just trying to save us all time here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear Ted Lasso's looking for work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably wouldn't get him but Marcello Gallardo is still available.

So is Graham Potter, who did quite well at smaller clubs before Chelsea.

I'd probably hire a guy you'd all hate, Luke Garrard at Boreham Wood in the English National League. Has no budget, the team plays on a shit pitch and is basically semi-pro, wages are so low. And yet they've beaten three league teams in the last two years in the FA Cup, including knocking off Bournemouth last year, 96 places ahead of them in the pyramid.

Anyone who can turn a team of virtual part-timers into a squad that regularly competes with and beats much bigger teams probably deserves a look somewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying this is good or anything I would want but as soon as I thought of getting an overseas manager I thought of Gerrard.

Bill cannot say no to wining & dining, (happy) press conferences, and PR campaigns for ticket sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm not saying this is good or anything I would want but as soon as I thought of getting an overseas manager I thought of Gerrard.

Bill cannot say no to wining & dining, (happy) press conferences, and PR campaigns for ticket sales.
    I don't think that's the profile they're looking for. He doesn't have enough winning experience, with his only success at Rangers largely credited by people in football to Michael Beale, his assistant ... who is now manager of Rangers. I never say never when the info I have is so thin, but they're not looking for a "name" unless it's one that has a track record.

That's also why I suspect it won't be a lower league guy, even if good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe we need two new threads - a new coach and a new GM/sporting director? Unlikely it’s going to be another single hire for both roles.

If it is going to be an MLS lifer American the only unattached guy who might be up to it, seems to me, is Caleb Porter. Not necessarily a good fit for the Italians but for that we’d probably have to look to Europe. And hah, was Porter a Bez hire at Columbus?

Who are the ex-MLS coaches who went to Europe and are currently unattached? Is Vieira still without a job?He might be as much as we can hope for. Except that if he did agree to it he’d probably be gone the instant a better gig came up.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 06-26-2023 at 01:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully this is still in scope of new coach/next version of TFC, but after that article came out earlier, and hearing things like jloomes source talking about manning getting off his tower, seeing a game first hand in cinci and realizing we actually don’t look all that cohesive even when we do hold the ball lol… that manning finally realizes he’s truly too far away from the day to day monitoring of the team, and needs to find himself a football/transfer/talent savvy, smart as hell individual to sit under him as a technical/sporting director with more control and influence over club decisions and tasks.

Would that create a Dubas/Shanny/bez situation again where the tech/sporting director wants to absorb the prez’ gig? Most likely, but it’s clear he’s detached & doesn’t have the skill set to take on tasks like finding the right DPs to integrate. He needs to find himself another bez who works with the coach to craft a sustainable end product/squad that builds on pillars such as actual top tier scouting, analytics and incremental improvement in youth coaching/development of players [pipeline], medical and health science approaches [reduce injuries and career longevity] and good sound transfer policy.

It isn’t just that our on field tactics and results have been bad, there’s been absolutely 0 mojo or outward appearing [to us at least] quality in any other area of the teams operations since bez left (with Leiweke) and we’re gonna stay just as unsustainable and shit if we don’t fix the underlying foundation. We can’t just rely on 3 big ass DP players to sell seats and wow factor every 3-5 years. Leiweke might have been the loudest guy in the room, and was MLSE C suite, but he at least knew where his weaknesses lie and strengthened those blind spots with the best relative talent he could find [bez, mls cap designer] to support his ambitions for the club.

we just spent 14M a year on insigne, with the business case to the board being his jersey sales, skill would put butts in the seats and give our club some energy and make us temporary playoff favourites. You telling me you couldn’t budget a restructure to hire a top sporting football lead with a small team of associates to architect the clubs ways into a more sustainable pipeline of success for 14M yearly x Insignes contract term, and not generate equal fan hype/ticket sales/playoff push as the first biz case? Bullshit. If manning thought Bob was ‘that guy’, then he was way off. We can’t do this all encompassing coach/technical director/single point of failure, wannabe Sir Alex Ferguson type role again. Not MLS in 2023, unless the chequebook is about to become blank cheque levels. I think that role needs to be made and established - every big club/successful club is setup like that now.

*edit cause noticed topic over diff thread for org structure from sonadoros. I can move this reflection if it needs to be moved
    Last edited by FiveThreeTwo; 06-26-2023 at 01:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

viera would be an interesting one, potentially.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread hijack alert! I think this should be the Next Sporting Director and not the Next Coach thread…

This time, let's cut the crap and stop splitting the President and Sporting Director role. The candidate should replace both Manning as President and Bob as Sporting Director. Let the new leader hire the coach.

Dane Murphy is an obvious candidate: he has had ever increasing, big roles at DCU, Barnsley, Nottingham Forest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72rq655ng3o
    Last edited by ensco; 06-26-2023 at 02:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Maybe we need two new threads - a new coach and a new GM/sporting director? Unlikely it’s going to be another single hire for both roles.

If it is going to be an MLS lifer American the only unattached guy who might be up to it, seems to me, is Caleb Porter. Not necessarily a good fit for the Italians but for that we’d probably have to look to Europe. And hah, was Porter a Bez hire at Columbus?

Who are the ex-MLS coaches who went to Europe and are currently unattached? Is Vieira still without a job?He might be as much as we can hope for. Except that if he did agree to it he’d probably be gone the instant a better gig came up.
    I'd be good with splitting this. And fine with me if the coach is a hired gun but make the sporting director someone more permanent.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't know what the future structure of the club leadership will be, but we know we need a new coach. So let's keep this thread for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Shouldn't this be "[Insert name later] deathwatch" thread? I'm just trying to save us all time here
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be utterly shocked if it’s anybody but Andrea Pirlo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We don't know what the future structure of the club leadership will be, but we know we need a new coach. So let's keep this thread for now.

Fair enough. I’m assuming Manning will give some indication during the press conference of what he and his colleagues have in mind.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope

Today...I feel this..for the first time in a long time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are doing Italian happy songs….

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    I will be utterly shocked if it’s anybody but Andrea Pirlo
    Going by the predicted criteria, he falls short.

Rafa Benitez?

Nope. Just saw he went to Celta a few days ago.
    Last edited by Ultra & Proud; 06-26-2023 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Going by the predicted criteria, he falls short.

Rafa Benitez?

Nope. Just saw he went to Celta a few days ago.
    I have to imagine Caleb Porter would be considered. But maybe they'll look at the Italians and want someone with more international profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thread hijack alert! I think this should be the Next Sporting Director and not the Next Coach thread…

This time, let's cut the crap and stop splitting the President and Sporting Director role. The candidate should replace both Manning as President and Bob as Sporting Director. Let the new leader hire the coach.

Dane Murphy is an obvious candidate: he has had ever increasing, big roles at DCU, Barnsley, Nottingham Forest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72rq655ng3o
    He's also tight with the front office already from before the Richie deal, which he cemented. He might be more patient though, and waiting for another European crack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Hope

Today...I feel this..for the first time in a long time

Good choice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conte's name will come up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever happens....we all know who the GK coach is going to be next season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Whatever happens....we all know who the GK coach is going to be next season
    And the physios.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Conte's name will come up.
    Oh, THAT guy, working in MLS? With his temper and task-master nature? With tactically dim MLS players? With MLS officials?

How long is the sentence for manslaughter again? Better tell him in advance and to do it during a home game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if the Tata to Miami thing is set in stone. The legend would have it Messi far prefers Gallardo, who is the winningest coach in Argentine league history now. Tata allegedly didn't get along with Messi very well.

Probably wishful thinking in either case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tortured myself by listening to Extra Time today. They devoted about 30 minutes to Bradley / TFC. With the exception of Kyle they are myopic in their views of Bradley. But there were a few good nuggets around the edges.

- supposedly after 2017 we have lost a ton of executive talent and haven’t replaced it. Sort of advanced the narrative Leiweke built it and Manning is just not keeping pace (unsurprisingly, they were very critical of Manning).
    - the atmosphere around the club is such a shit show, they have multiple players off the record saying they would go anywhere just to get out.

I came away more concerned than when I started and think this club is going nowhere until Bill is turfed and under no circumstances should he be making any more hires. I mean honestly, who takes a month to fire Bradley after that Athletic article is released? That’s an embarrassment if there ever was one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm told they're casting a wide net, but starting domestically. I assume that means Canadian, or in Canada; might also mean the U.S. Maybe they're thinking of poaching someone particular?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tortured myself by listening to Extra Time today. They devoted about 30 minutes to Bradley / TFC. With the exception of Kyle they are myopic in their views of Bradley. But there were a few good nuggets around the edges.

- supposedly after 2017 we have lost a ton of executive talent and haven’t replaced it. Sort of advanced the narrative Leiweke built it and Manning is just not keeping pace (unsurprisingly, they were very critical of Manning).
    - the atmosphere around the club is such a shit show, they have multiple players off the record saying they would go anywhere just to get out.

I came away more concerned than when I started and think this club is going nowhere until Bill is turfed and under no circumstances should he be making any more hires. I mean honestly, who takes a month to fire Bradley after that Athletic article is released? That’s an embarrassment if there ever was one.
    Yep it was hard to read that athletic article and not conclude that Bill Manning is the biggest problem at the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm told they're casting a wide net, but starting domestically. I assume that means Canadian, or in Canada; might also mean the U.S. Maybe they're thinking of poaching someone particular?
    My ideal international 'semi-realistic' candidate would be (a) Claudio Ranieri (type). Domestically? Maybe John Herdman? Probably... Bobby Smyrniotis? Though, IIUC, he did just signed a 4-YR contact-extension with Forge FC. Yet, given the opportunity to coach at the MLS level, he may be able to work something out; worse case, Jim Lawson and Nick Eaves might be able to facilitate a solution. I mean, besides Bob Bradley, TFC's Jason Hernandez and/or Bill Manning, may have been dealing with Agent AXIA- Nick Mavaromaras for Richie Laryea (staying or going?) So perhaps there would be opportunity for a continued dialogue just on the Bobby Smyrniotis matter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- supposedly after 2017 we have lost a ton of executive talent and haven’t replaced it.
    Didn't listen ..not sure I want to torture myself with that, to be honest.

But that sounds like lazy "Bez left and was never replaced" thinking extrapolated to be more...something MLS pundits do a lot - take one thing & then make it into a trend.

And the bit about people wanting to leave sounds like the athletic article read as fact where we know for certain Insigne, for one, isn't wanting to leave.