Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    What other teams does he own?
    Mohammed Mansour is not the same person as Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi (and City Football Group).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    Mohammed Mansour is not the same person as Sheikh Mansour of Abu Dhabi (and City Football Group).
    Interesting tidbit, there are only about 120 people in the Kumeyaay nation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    As much as I can find... ManSports... Edwards, Piers (20 January 2021). "Egyptian billionaires invest $120m in Ghana football academy". BBC Sport. Archived from the original on 2021-01-21. Retrieved 2021-01-22.

And... 'Football is in our blood,' Mohamed Mansour, whose uncle was a goalkeeper on Egypt’s 1934 World Cup team, told Forbes last year," the U-T went on to report. "'We as a family believe that sports help nurture people.'” But a July 8, 2021 Forbes item noted concerns raised by Mansour Group's investment in FC Nordsjaelland, a professional Danish soccer team.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2022/oct/28/ticker-will-egyptian-billionaire-soccer-san-diego/

Who he/family is...

https://www.mansourgroup.com/who-we-are/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansour_Group
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-19-2023 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I can find... ManSports... Edwards, Piers (20 January 2021). "Egyptian billionaires invest $120m in Ghana football academy". BBC Sport. Archived from the original on 2021-01-21. Retrieved 2021-01-22.

And... 'Football is in our blood,' Mohamed Mansour, whose uncle was a goalkeeper on Egypt’s 1934 World Cup team, told Forbes last year," the U-T went on to report. "'We as a family believe that sports help nurture people.'” But a July 8, 2021 Forbes item noted concerns raised by Mansour Group's investment in FC Nordsjaelland, a professional Danish soccer team.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2022/oct/28/ticker-will-egyptian-billionaire-soccer-san-diego/

Who he/family is...

https://www.mansourgroup.com/who-we-are/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansour_Group
    Thanks! I was looking and couldn't find anything. My google-fu bad today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m waiting for ensco’s post about the Leafs parting ways with Dubas means for TFC. My view is it means we’re locked into Bradley and Manning for the long haul.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I’m waiting for ensco’s post about the Leafs parting ways with Dubas means for TFC. My view is it means we’re locked into Bradley and Manning for the long haul.
    Manning definitely until the offseason earliest but probably not going to happen. Bob possibly this summer if Bill thinks it will save his ass. Depends on how much heat starts coming down. Sure TFC is the last on the MLSE list of things to sort out but it's also the easiest to do because they'll just toss anyone in there and hope for the best. The other two will involve interviews and actual work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Haha I am flattered. I have been paying much more attention to the poster later and I enjoy your posts too.

I am not much of a Leafsologist. Need to ponder.

My blink reaction re TFC is to note the bizarre symmetry between what Shanahan did with Dubas by making him “play out” his final year without an extension, and what Manning did with Seba and Gio in 2018/2019. The symmetry isn’t perfect (in team management, you usually extend the guy or fire him). But it was kind of nuts, and totally violated the norms, both times. Why is MLSE always trying to impose new standards on the business, instead of trying to figure out how success works in more normal ways?

My blink reaction in general is, holy crap, they wanted to sign him 4 days ago but were in a position where they were vulnerable to a stickup, got the pistol pulled on them, and … they didn’t like that? so now the biggest team in the sport is standing on a street corner with their pants around their ankles, five weeks before the draft? That is total effing amateur hour.

This definitely will raise questions about Shanahan. Which may raise questions about the structure, in particular the way Shanahan (and Manning) have such bulletproof positions. (Masai won, so he is different)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-19-2023 at 04:00 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    .... in particular the way Shanahan (and Manning) have such bulletproof positions. (Masai won, so he is different)
    That there is my only take about Leafs / MLSE changes affecting TFC.

TFC is down the list of revenue generators. If a structural decision is made on a policy basis - "we are doing this structure change because we do not like how the other structure ran" - then parallel approaches at TFC may change as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Leafs twitter is EXPLODING. Tons of chatter that this was, de facto, a play by Dubas for Shanahan's job. These President + GM (or Sporting Director…) structures are rife with problems.

Last edited by ensco; 05-19-2023 at 04:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Leafs twitter is EXPLODING. Tons of chatter that this was, de facto, a play by Dubas for Shanahan's job. These President + GM (or Sporting Director…) structures are rife with problems.

Imagine asking for a raise when your team has failed spectacularly in every post-season your managing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....interesting response by NYRB to an ugly incident

https://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news...-dante-vanzeir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Imagine asking for a raise when your team has failed spectacularly in every post-season your managing.
    I don't think it's on him. His trade deadline moves this offseason were excellent.

I mean his record is 221-109-42.

That's phenomenal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Insert Giannis discussion of "Is that a failure?" here]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I don't think it's on him. His trade deadline moves this offseason were excellent.

I mean his record is 221-109-42.

That's phenomenal.
    Zero cups to show for it, and not even a deep cup run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The “was it Shanahan or Dubas who owns the record” debate, is just the mirror image of the Manning vs Bradley (or Bez) or whomever debate.

What do we think? Will people decide that wildly contrarian management strategies, put in by people seemingly have no accountability, that ignore obvious practices/truths, are to blame here?

The suits are politicians in terms of style- when it comes to the Leafs. If the public comes to the conclusion that Dubas is to blame (ie he hired Keefe, and he tried a stickup at the last second), then Shanahan is safe.

If Dubas gets another good gig quickly, and the public decides “hey wait a second, Shanahan owns this, he broke a bunch of obvious rules - he hired a kid GM for the biggest job in the sport, then violated all norms by letting him dangle until the last second, and by doing that Shanahan exposed himself to a stickup, which was just crazy”, then Shanahan will be gone fairly soon.

If Shanahan goes, I suspect Manning wouldn’t be able to survive attacks along these lines either. (Having the manager and the captain be father-son is as big a norm violation as exists in all of sports.)
    Last edited by ensco; 05-20-2023 at 09:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I am flattered... My blink reaction re TFC is to note the bizarre symmetry between what Shanahan did with Dubas by making him “play out” his final year without an extension, and what Manning did with Seba and Gio in 2018/2019. The symmetry isn’t perfect (in team management, you usually extend the guy or fire him). But it was kind of nuts, and totally violated the norms, both times. Why is MLSE always trying to impose new standards on the business, instead of trying to figure out how success works in more normal ways?...
    Would just like to add information, a thought, in relation and according to Steve Simmons- Toronto Sun...

"After wanting to give Dubas an extension last summer and being told no by Leafs owners, Shanahan made another offer to keep him."

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...th-maple-leafs

https://torontosun.com/sports/rogers...ptors-rebuilds

I suspect a root exists for the budgetary consternation of each MLSE sports franchise; no funds for a TFC 3rd DP, the rumoured unhappiness of MUjiri and initially no money for Dubas, hence the 'no contract offer'. It seems to me much of this MLSE budgetary restraint or interference stems from the events of Rogers' family feud (OCT21), the appointment of AStaffieri to the Rogers and MLSE Boards (JAN22), and LRogers death (JUN22). I do think it is ERogers and his henchman AStaffieri at the fulcrum and flexing; notoriously stingy and enjoys wielding influence. The interesting thing is the report indicates Shanahan eventually somehow then found money with or got money from (some members of) the Board. I believe there are funds; though now with three possible simultaneous rebuilds, any business would reasonably sense a monkey in it's financial wrench. Still, how worried can the MLSE Board be; they apparently approved a 4-5 year contract with BB even after the Babcock debacle/experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would just like to add information, a thought, in relation and according to Steve Simmons- Toronto Sun...

"After wanting to give Dubas an extension last summer and being told no by Leafs owners, Shanahan made another offer to keep him."

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...th-maple-leafs

https://torontosun.com/sports/rogers...ptors-rebuilds

I suspect a root exists for the budgetary consternation of each MLSE sports franchise; no funds for a TFC 3rd DP, the rumoured unhappiness of MUjiri and initially no money for Dubas, hence the 'no contract offer'. It seems to me much of this MLSE budgetary restraint or interference stems from the events of Rogers' family feud (OCT21), the appointment of AStaffieri to the Rogers and MLSE Boards (JAN22), and LRogers death (JUN22). I do think it is ERogers and his henchman AStaffieri at the fulcrum and flexing; notoriously stingy and enjoys wielding influence. The interesting thing is the report indicates Shanahan eventually somehow then found money with or got money from (some members of) the Board. I believe there are funds; though now with three possible simultaneous rebuilds, any business would reasonably sense a monkey in it's financial wrench. Still, how worried can the MLSE Board be; they apparently approved a 4-5 year contract with BB even after the Babcock debacle/experience.
    Manning is the smartest man in the room unfortunately, those execs no nothing about football, to get MLSE to agree on a 5 year guaruntee after Curtis/Armas is a shambles.

No doubt BB would not have come otherwise and Manning really had no other ideas for replacements.
    Last edited by Richard; 05-21-2023 at 09:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another indication all is going great with AMLSSP and rolling out according to plan? At this point, I would not be surprised if similar or more numbers were watching Ted Lasso and/or Welcome To Wrexham.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-22-2023 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Interesting tidbit, there are only about 120 people in the Kumeyaay nation.
    It is! Although, I believe that population count is for just The Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation. IIUC, the indicated population of the Kumeyaay nation in totality is (only) circa 4250 people! Either way, partnership represents a lot of revenue stream cha-ching potential for that Band and/or Nation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another indication all is going great with AMLSSP and rolling out according to plan? At this point, I would not be surprised if similar or more numbers were watching Ted Lasso and/or Welcome To Wrexham.

Those are the YouTube numbers? So doesn't count any apple tv subscriber at all? If so, seems reasonable?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first thoughts:

MLS 360 is on YouTube?!?!!?

Comparing anything to NFL #'s is like comparing a newt to a T-Rex.

Apple, like all the streaming channels, does not release numbers.

Free month is not unheard of. Their base is supporters.

Apple is like how ensco describes MLSE - get the market controlled before somebody else does. The bet is 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing says international league like having a team of the week with only two Americans in it.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/team-...in-matchday-15

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/la-ga...nt-chris-klein

Fan pressure plus losing constantly equals...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Yeah, you could almost sense something was different and up once Vanney actually came across the pitch to meet the few supporters that broke the attendance ban for an earful after their last match. I am curious to learn if this is the first ever such 'Eurostyle- pitch-side’ dress-down/meeting by an MLS coach and his club's fanatics? I was actually impressed by this public concession from him. LAG needs to get their act together immediately and before San Diego fields their first MLS squad.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 05-30-2023 at 10:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

I pray that Manning doesn’t lose his job while Klein in unemployed, seems too ironically mean to just pass by TFC. (I’m not sure how to be more sarcastic than I’m trying to imply)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klein broke MLS rules and got himself & his team suspended - Isuspect Larry T would not want this guy anywhere near one of his teams.

This likely means Vanney has the season to figure out things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

miami loses at home vs red bulls and now has 15 points in 15 games in nevilles third season...lots of calls for him to be removed...as usual he subs in his defender son when the team needs a goal late...and tonight it got ugly as fans booed him...was this phil nevilles last game heading miami??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems my view that the AMLSSP initiative is not doing well is wrong. I still do not believe it; no empirical evidence is being offered. However, we have something official on record now. jloome you are right on this; so far, till your not.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 06-01-2023 at 12:11 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this flailing about #s

NBC provides numbers for EPL in the US

It ain't big either but you won't here soccer journos in the US discuss that....wonder why? Like seriously, anybody complaining about Bundisliga views?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Phil Neville's out at Miami. I wonder if MLSE is close to pulling the trigger on TFC or not?