Page 3 of 42 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I feel like they all didn’t score very much so gonna go out on a limb and say 3 way tie. Or at least 2 of them tie.
    That would've been a good statistical coincidence, eh? But... nope. Incorrect!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio, Ricketts, Jhams?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Dichio, Ricketts, Jhams?
    And that would be.... Incorrect!

(As we're running out of potential options, I shall point out that this may be complicated by some pretty natural cognitive biases. THat's definitely a clue.)
    Last edited by jloome; 01-18-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    And that would be.... Incorrect!

(As we're running out of potential options, I shall point out that this may be complicated by some pretty natural cognitive biases. THat's definitely a clue.)
    Has to be Ricketts, JHam, Dichio

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Has to be Ricketts, JHam, Dichio
    Bingo!

16, 15, 14 respectively. Vasquez played two fewer games and had 18 goals (in his first go-round). Danny Koevermans played 25 fewer games and had 19 goals (in 41! Fucking great striker, made of glass).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bingo!

16, 15, 14 respectively. Vasquez played two fewer games and had 18 goals (in his first go-round). Danny Koevermans played 25 fewer games and had 19 goals (in 41! Fucking great striker, made of glass).
    I had a feeling Ricketts had the most, so many late game goals. I’m surprised by JHam, but I remember his goal rate for minutes played was super high at some point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I had a feeling Ricketts had the most, so many late game goals. I’m surprised by JHam, but I remember his goal rate for minutes played was super high at some point.
    Ricketts' goal ratio was good at Vancouver, too. Per minute, he's something like a 13 in 36 scorer, or something like that.

So never looked the part that he never got a start, would be the poem, or something like that. I don't really know why he wasn't more valued. Really a clutch player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts was a polarizing player for CMNT fans, and that didn’t set him up for success with TFC fans initially.

We sucked, he played a lot of games because there was nobody else (our other striker in this era, call it 2009-15, was Marcus Haber, and both of them were journeymen in terrible lower level leagues). Ricketts actually looked good for the CMNT sometimes, but nobody really rated him. He bounced around a lot, I don’t know why, I remember there was a CMNT meme that he played for “Unattached FC” (this is a big change in recent times - Canada always had unattached guys on the team historically - not any more!)

I remember being unhappy when TFC signed him, I just didn’t think he was good enough. But I was wrong, he was good enough! Of course now, you hear his name, you think of him scoring that goal against Montreal. Free beers for life in Toronto, just for that.

But yeah, cognitive bias. For Ricketts, I guess it's a combo of his rep pre TFC, and the fact he never started. For Danny, it's that he just wasn’t a player here for that long. For Jhams, it's that almost none of his goals were decisive or in big games.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-19-2023 at 08:09 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy had greyhound like speed and a first touch so bad you’d think his feet were made of cinder blocks. Ya, he was polarizing.

I don’t particularly have any regrets on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Ricketts was a polarizing player for CMNT fans, and that didn’t set him up for success with TFC fans initially.

We sucked, he played a lot of games because there was nobody else (our other striker in this era, call it 2009-15, was Marcus Haber, and both of them were journeymen in terrible lower level leagues). Ricketts actually looked good for the CMNT sometimes, but nobody really rated him. He bounced around a lot, I don’t know why, I remember there was a CMNT meme that he played for “Unattached FC” (this is a big change in recent times - Canada always had unattached guys on the team historically - not any more!)

I remember being unhappy when TFC signed him, I just didn’t think he was good enough. But I was wrong, he was good enough! Of course now, you hear his name, you think of him scoring that goal against Montreal. Free beers for life in Toronto, just for that.

But yeah, cognitive bias. For Ricketts, I guess it's a combo of his rep pre TFC, and the fact he never started. For Danny, it's that he just wasn’t a player here for that long. For Jhams, it's that almost none of his goals were decisive or in big games.

Ricketts was on the same flight leaving world cup in Qatar- chatted with him, told him his goal was amazing VS. Montreal and how it was one of my favorite moments- jumped so high up- my phone fell out and was cracked and I cut myself picking it up and didnt even realize.

got a picture with him as well- really nice guy- on the way out in toronto I was waiting for my people to get off the plane he even dabbed me up on the way out- so nice.

didnt realize he was still in the league playing lo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The guy had greyhound like speed and a first touch so bad you’d think his feet were made of cinder blocks. Ya, he was polarizing.

I don’t particularly have any regrets on that one.

the one thing i remember fondly is he somehow found ways to score goals awkwardly - falling down head first- or tripping and then torpedoing the ball.lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make what you will of that… definitely some outliers there (IMFC, NYCFC? WTF?) but it would appear nobody is all that hot on our prospects for the upcoming year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte FC footballer Anton Walkes has died at age 25! In Florida, Miami... as a result of a boating accident; crash?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/footb...ntl/index.html
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-19-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Charlotte FC footballer Anton Walkes has died at age 25! In Florida, Miami... as a result of a boating accident; crash?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/footb...ntl/index.html
    Two boats colliding. Only 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Former TFC youth player Dapo Afolayan is off to St. Pauli from Bolton.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/spor...0-000-transfer

He had fourteen goals last year in the championship. Not really a miss on our part, as he started in the UK and was only with us for two years, bookended by multiple other clubs.

Trained with the first team in 2016 but wasn't signed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bingo!

Yup, made of glass, and not treated accordingly by TFC coaches and management, as so often. Always behind the eight ball, therefore having to overplay people relative to their stamina and durability. Incl. on the shite old plastic carpet at the Revs stadium, where Danny got injured. Yeah I know players get injured in footy, some more than others, especially as they get older. But there have just been so many occasions where you think "this isn't going to end well" -- and it doesn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Ocean is not so vast.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO bought a California bank last year. The deal got approval this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE should ask BMO to match the deal or terminate

Curious what the expected ROI is from this, find it hard to believe it's that much more than rights to BMO field. Customers don't look at the name of a stadium and think "ahh I think I'm going to switch my banking to BMO".
    Last edited by DSouzaZ; 01-19-2023 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep... Things just keep passing TFC by! Just an afterthought organization. LAFC's grounds will supposedly be renamed... 'BMO Stadium'. Hmmm... the fine line between BMO Field and BMO Stadium; no confusion there.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-19-2023 at 01:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DSouzaZ View Post
    WTF? MLSE should ask BMO to match the deal or terminate the offer
    Why? TFC doesn’t get exclusive rights on sponsors. BMO sponsors CF Montreal too, you think they pay them the same as us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF? MLSE should ask BMO to match the deal or terminate the offer
    Market is what it is. Stadium naming rights are worth more in LA than they are in Toronto.

And dare I say it, that’s a much nicer facility than our souped-up Honda Civic of a stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're not a bigger club than LAFC. Just how it is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LA tax.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our naming rights come up again for 2026....

who's hosting some of the World Cup that year again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Not BMO Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

did they not extend those rights last june?

BMO extends naming rights to home of Toronto FC
    By

Rob Ridley

| 22 June 2022

Posted in Features | Industry News
    Tagged BMO | BMO Field | MLS | Naming Rights | Sponsorship | Toronto FC
    Canadian investment bank and financial services company BMO has agreed a 10-year extension to its stadium naming rights deal with Major League Soccer (MLS) club Toronto FC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    We're not a bigger club than LAFC. Just how it is.
    Meh... They seat 22,000. Yeah, it's in LA and that's huge, but they have one title and two supporter's shields. I don't think they can claim to be bigger than anyone of the clubs who've won recently.

Galaxy can, because they've won five or six titles now since 2000. They're the only club with more than two in the modern era.

In value, I'm sure LA is bigger. In football terms, no.

In football terms, to me, the order of gravity in this league is based on success and willingness to achieve it, because we're still a secondary league either way.

That would make the biggest clubs (when combining size, money and wins)

1) LA Galaxy
    2) Seattle Sounders
    3) LAFC
    4) NYFC
    5) Toronto FC
    6) Atlanta Utd

.... and the rest are just a mix of "could win it but probably won't" because they're not bankrolled by multi-billionaires, or haven't shown a willingness to spend to win.

Probably naive on my part, but as someone who spent a chunk of his life living outside Canada, Torontonians and Canadians in general have impostor syndrome about the size and importance of the city, whenever it's compared to something in NY and LA in particular.

It's a megacity of 10 million people and our owners have billions. Outside of the win column, that's pretty much on par with the other "biggest" clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE should ask BMO to match the deal or terminate

Curious what the expected ROI is from this, find it hard to believe it's that much more than rights to BMO field. Customers don't look at the name of a stadium and think "ahh I think I'm going to switch my banking to BMO".
    So Sponsorships aren't built for that in terms of directly winning customers over.

But think of all the media attention it gets in replays/live TV games that then BMO gets to have it's sponsorship, advertising and media everywhere.

Media tracks all those hits, those views, it help builds brand recognition.

That cost is building and maintaining brand recognition, so that if you are ever thinking of changing banks, then BMO may become more of a though process. Especially since BMO bought Bank of the West.