Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2023 General TFC/MLS Banter (no transfer/roster discussion)

This thread is a catch-all for general banter not specifically related to transfer rumours.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wisdom in this tweet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know where this goes (not worth starting a thread elsewhere) but the Gio Reyna / Greg Berhalter drama. Holly crap, talk about dysfunctional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t know where this goes (not worth starting a thread elsewhere) but the Gio Reyna / Greg Berhalter drama. Holly crap, talk about dysfunctional.
    Yeah I was just reading it. Almost makes the CSA look ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine trying to blackmail someone publicly for an incident 30 years ago......which was reconciled 30 years ago by each party involved.

Like wtf is wrong with today's culture? Shit happened and everyone moved on.

Cancel culture nonsense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gets worse...the families were friends. Went on holidays together.

&

The guy who hired Berhalter & didn't ask about any past domestic issues - his brother.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Gets worse...the families were friends. Went on holidays together.

&

The guy who hired Berhalter & didn't ask about any past domestic issues - his brother.
    And it’s all over Gio Reyna’s playing time in the World Cup. And Greg insinuating he has a bad attitude and doesn’t work. Which sounds bang on after reading about his mom tattling on Greg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    And it’s all over Gio Reyna’s playing time in the World Cup. And Greg insinuating he has a bad attitude and doesn’t work. Which sounds bang on after reading about his mom tattling on Greg.
    Yeah. By no means would I support Greg here but matter-of-fact Reyna’s own teammates nearly voted to boot him off the squad mid tournament. So clearly it’s not just a problem with the coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, this is coming from the guy (Reyna) who was running NYCFC when their star DP's behaviour of harassment caused them to have to pay off numerous female staff members.

Soccer in the US is one gigantic cesspool of misogynistic petty crud - no wonder NWSL has so many issues with coaches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a long time USMNT follower… this strange story doesn’t 100% add up to me. I don’t quite believe that Earnie Stewart genuinely launched a legal investigation into this based on what he heard this phone conversation as described. Either there is a lot more to it, or it was a pretext.

Also yeah, the USMNT setup is bad, a clubby closed shop.

I am feeling the absence of Grant Wahl. He would have just told us all what happened.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    As a long time USMNT follower… this strange story doesn’t 100% add up to me. I don’t quite believe that Earnie Stewart genuinely launched a legal investigation into this based on what he heard this phone conversation as described. Either there is a lot more to it, or it was a pretext.

Also yeah, the USMNT setup is bad, a clubby closed shop.

I am feeling the absence of Grant Wahl. He would have just told us all what happened.
    The whole story is bizarre. Maybe it was Greg’s claim he was being blackmailed triggered the investigation? Yeah, Grant Wahl would have figured out what’s going on. 😭

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole story is bizarre. Maybe it was Greg’s claim he was being blackmailed triggered the investigation? Yeah, Grant Wahl would have figured out what’s going on. 
    I suspect this was not as clean as Mrs. Reyna is making out and she attempted to use this to force him to play her son, or threats to do so in the future if he benched him again.

However, these are close friends (believe it or not) and it's possible Berhalter doesn't want her charged criminally.

In other non-roster news BECKHAM MADE $50-million a season off MLS revenue for eight years.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/706027...sfer-contract/
    Last edited by jloome; 01-05-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Ensco, you owe me a beer for our Aaron Long bet, as he did not start for the U.S. at the World Cup, and Tim Ream did.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-05-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I suspect this was not as clean as Mrs. Reyna is making out and she attempted to use this to force him to play her son, or threats to do so in the future if he benched him again.

However, these are close friends (believe it or not) and it's possible Berhalter doesn't want her charged criminally.

In other non-roster news BECKHAM MADE $50-million a season off MLS revenue for eight years.

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/706027...sfer-contract/
    It’s hard to imagine that the claims of Gio being lazy and not putting in the work could be true in light of his mom using an incident from 30 years ago to shoehorn him into a starting role despite the players disliking him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Ensco, you owe me a beer for our Aaron Long bet, as he did not start for the U.S. at the World Cup, and Tim Ream did.
    Yeah, I meant to tell you that. Slipped my mind somehow…
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I meant to tell you that. Slipped my mind somehow…
    How about that Beckham deal, eh? I doubt anyone would offer that now, but wow... 400 million pounds to play for four years in LA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about that Beckham deal, eh? I doubt anyone would offer that now, but wow... 400 million pounds to play for four years in LA.
    The franchise appreciation bit is kind of a one in a million bluebird.

But his merch deal structured way, that is interesting. Because MLS got Beckham to take the risk if the merch piece flopped.

If that is what MLS tried with CR, the CR team must have laughed. CR could get that deal anywhere without risk now, the model is proven. It is not even part of the conversation any more, a global athlete like that just has his own brand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.wireservice.ca/toronto-f...hono-children/

Some nice words about the fans and his family enjoying life here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.wireservice.ca/toronto-f...hono-children/

Some nice words about the fans and his family enjoying life here.
    This one is very telling...

My dog, Ciro, is happy in Toronto; I can take him for a walk, which I haven’t been able to do before.
    Tough life when you can't even walk your dog because of papparazzi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where's Bill, where's Bob?
    Maybe they could use a decent assistant?
    Would this individual be considered?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good read on the USMNT situation. The “parents working the coach because their kid isn’t playing” meme gone wild, and a splash of entitlement

https://www.theguardian.com/football...na-family-feud

If you have a spare 3 hours, grab some popcorn and check out the “Berhalter releases statement” thread on bigsoccer. A 75 page thread that looks like nothing so much as the Kingsmen movie battle royale in the church.

That thread did turn up several things I hadn't realized. Lots of speculation that Claudio Reyna passing on Berhalter's son (after his loan at Austin, pre Vancouver) is the start of the problem. Also discussion about Tom Bogert, given his unique situation (a reporter paid by MLS, who only covers MLS, and who had no history on the USMNT beat -but is the one who first published that Gio Reyna was the player Greg Berhalter was talking about in that conference) - did the MLS offices want to spike Berhalter also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taylor Twellman to Apple TV all but confirmed at this point. He has announced his departure from ESPN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a good read on the USMNT situation. The “parents working the coach because their kid isn’t playing” meme gone wild, and a splash of entitlement

If you have a spare 3 hours, grab some popcorn and check out the “Berhalter releases statement” thread on bigsoccer. A 75 page thread that looks like nothing so much as the Kingsmen movie battle royale in the church.

That thread did turn up several things I hadn't realized. Lots of speculation that Claudio Reyna passing on Berhalter's son (after his loan at Austin, pre Vancouver) is the start of the problem. Also discussion about Tom Bogert, given his unique situation (a reporter paid by MLS, who only covers MLS, and who had no history on the USMNT beat -but is the one who first published that Gio Reyna was the player Greg Berhalter was talking about in that conference) - did the MLS offices want to spike Berhalter also?
    I can’t imagine Berhalter potentially tanking the World Cup, and his own coaching career, to get even about some slight against his son. And there seemed to be evidence Gio isn’t liked in the US camp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t imagine Berhalter potentially tanking the World Cup, and his own coaching career, to get even about some slight against his son. And there seemed to be evidence Gio isn’t liked in the US camp.
    I can't either. But there are a lot of overlapping stories here. This thing seems to involve every single person in the USMNT setup over the last 25 years except Jozy and MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't either. But there are a lot of overlapping stories here. This thing seems to involve every single person in the USMNT setup over the last 25 years except Jozy and MB.
    Lol. Bet they would love and ole fashioned suit fitting scandal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Soccer can imagine.....

I don't miss that place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer mom at the pro level...lol.

Berhalter though was in way over his head though tactically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Jason Hernandez has been interacting with Agents in some sort of capacity for Bill and Bob since he joined TFC front office management in April 2019.
    Has he just recently transitioned to such mentioned added responsibilities from Manager of Player Engagement to now Assistant GM?
    At the most, that could be about 8 windows of front-line selling the club involvement.
    Shared responsibility in the good- of those that signed and the bad- of those that passed on us.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-07-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Big Soccer can imagine.....

I don't miss that place.
    Agree with your general point. It has some gems on this, as it turns out:

All Berhalter had to do was say, “I should have played Gio more. He is the world’s greatest player. And I am merely a buffoon because I coached in MLS. That’s why I’m resigning right now in the middle of the World Cup. I will be replaced by a committee of extremely sexy super genius Internet warriors who have logged a lot of Football Manager hours and have excellent collections of European soccer scarves. That is how we will win this World Cup.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gareth Bale retired today. That means LAFC will have an open DP spot, I think, since they had like five DPs.