0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Latest expansion discussion - San Diego now

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mls/stor...ome-club-no-30

Interesting stadium choice - 35K - Bermuda grass - willing to work with the league - VERY modern amenities - NO shade whatsoever so night games a must
    Thought this was already confirmed it was happening by Luca Bendoni at the end of last year? Seems to me the wrinkle in that outcome is now the Messi question and any Las Vegas franchise as an incentive; part of a proposition if an ownership stake in IMCF is not workable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Good on him, hope he does well. We sold him just as his game was starting to look interesting. Still like him more as a shuttling mid than a winger though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taty Castellanos, on loan at Girona from NYFC, scored four against Real Madrid today, first player since '47 to do it.

Mind you, go look at the clips. Shocking defending.
    thought that name looked familiar, good on him. Do you know if that loan has a clause to buy or is he going to back to NYFC when loan spell is up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    thought that name looked familiar, good on him. Do you know if that loan has a clause to buy or is he going to back to NYFC when loan spell is up.
    It's just a straight loan until this June. But after the way he's played, I imagine City Group will sell him to someone in Europe, possibly Girona. He has no intention, from his statements, of playing in MLS again.

I suspect from their valuation (they wanted at least $15M for him) City Group figured this was a way to put him in the shop window. It has probably paid off handsomely.

Some premier league team will probably offer $45M for him or something ridiculous like that. He has 11 goals now in 28 games this season in La Liga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Who ever would have thunk MLS as the ideal model; a template of envy for Europe? Or Andrea D’Amico and Joe Tacopina as world football whisperers; pragmatic visionaries? Nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Wow! Who ever would have thunk MLS as the ideal model; a template of envy for Europe? Or Andrea D’Amico and Joe Tacopina as world football whisperers; pragmatic visionaries? Nuts.

Europe needed this a decade ago, by now I think it may be too late.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did we have a sell-on percentage with Jayden? I don't recall but I thought we did...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Europe needed this a decade ago, by now I think it may be too late.
    Yeh, Cerefin reps the FA's though - a recent article about Juve over the last 10 years & a glance at the hyperbole whenever Man City dealings are questioned leads me to believe there is no way in hell top leagues will do a salary cap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder how much allocation money UEFA will have to pay MLS for coming up with the ideal system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Wonder how much allocation money UEFA will have to pay MLS for coming up with the ideal system?
    Garber Bucks… will forgo any allocation for one GOAT?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wait until they find out they only have so many international slots....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Just wait until they find out they only have so many international slots....
    they actually did try that back in the day, when teams played in the old european cups, they were only allowed 3 foreign players but that got scrapped mid 90's when they reformatted those cups. The PL for example even now has a max on the amount of non homegrown players, out of a squad of 25 players 8 must be homegrown, although that in itself doesn't mean the players are english just that they were at the club 3 yrs before they were 21.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they actually did try that back in the day, when teams played in the old european cups, they were only allowed 3 foreign players but that got scrapped mid 90's when they reformatted those cups. The PL for example even now has a max on the amount of non homegrown players, out of a squad of 25 players 8 must be homegrown, although that in itself doesn't mean the players are english just that they were at the club 3 yrs before they were 21.
    Interesting. I have been watching EPL for many years like most of us but I never thought of ever looking up anything like that. Just assumed it was a free for all over there because I have never heard anyone ever bring that stuff up. In MLS it is a regular discussion as every team tries to work the league rules in different ways to try to get players in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think some of that scrapping also had to do with European Union membership / their courts’ rulings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That rule isnt that rrelevant when your actual roster size isn't limited like MLS, register a few academy kids that never play and load up on international players. Champions league rules are a bit more strict though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance down 6% so far this year. I wonder if that's why TFC is buying podcast ads. Maybe the shirt is just selling badly. My wife likes it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Although, IIUC, both seasons started at about the same date, TFC has ended up playing their tenth match this year by about a week earlier. Couple this circumstance to the notion that four of the five home matches last season seem to have started in the ‘afternoon’; either at the 2,3 or 4 pm slots? I believe then, you may have a plausible explanation for the dip in attendance? They may be buying podcast ads cause they did not address this sitch with a ‘name’ third DP at the beginning of this window? By the eye sight test, I have noticed the new jersey being worn by a few at the stadium; not many. I seem to be coming to terms with it. My position on it has evolved from somewhat dislike to meh, so long as it will not be considered/remain the primary kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Although, IIUC, both seasons started at about the same date, TFC has ended up playing their tenth match this year by about a week earlier. Couple this circumstance to the notion that four of the five home matches last season seem to have started in the ‘afternoon’; either at the 2,3 or 4 pm slots? I believe then, you may have a plausible explanation for the dip in attendance? They may be buying podcast ads cause they did not address this sitch with a ‘name’ third DP at the beginning of this window? By the eye sight test, I have noticed the new jersey being worn by a few at the stadium; not many. I seem to be coming to terms with it. My position on it has evolved from somewhat dislike to meh so long as it will not be considered/remain the primary kit.
    I'm sort of the same way but I don't think we really have a 'Reds' primary kit anymore. The white-grey looked good on the weekend but it ain't our colours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sort of the same way but I don't think we really have a 'Reds' primary kit anymore. The white-grey looked good on the weekend but it ain't our colours.
    It has got to be coming? Hopefully, already in the works, for next season? I want to believe!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't remember who suggested it and I would be okay with it but I don't think it will happen. Next year they make the away kit red and then use at home and switch this new kit to our away for the year...it's possible I mean we do wear the away kit at home sometimes like this past weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also wonder if the attendance is low due to the late games, cold winter weather in March, Insigne being hurt, the leafs playing the same night. (They weren't playing at home during international window but they still played).
    Wonder if there was more hype about the team last year, more ads with new manager, tear down and rebuild, and two huge DP signings coming in that were being talked about. Might equal more casual fans wanting to take in the experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, weird not to have a red kit. The new one, I find, looks okay on tv - the close ups and close range images show its awkward busyness clearly. But in the stadium at distance in the real it looks awful to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO I don't think the TFC attendance has anything to do with the team too much at this point. Just the time slot of early season games mixed with some crappy weather forecasts on those days along with the recent conflict with the Leafs game. My TFC rep told me there are a number of people complaining about evening games in March/April in Canada. I haven't looked at Ticketmaster at all but I would think for the most part, aside from the new benches in the north, most tickets are sold whether people are actually showing up or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think the 7:30 start is going over well. It's just really crap for parents plus the early season weather. I brought my 7 year old to one game, and I'll never do it again after dealing with the Sunday fallout.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attendance down 6% so far this year. I wonder if that's why TFC is buying podcast ads. Maybe the shirt is just selling badly. My wife likes it.
    That's down from the average over all of last season but compare it to date of last year and tells a different story

First 5 home games (amount to date) last year = 22 165 average

i.e. we are actually UP over last years attendance at this point

Considering we had 2 brutal weather game days back in March and last weekend wasn't all that great either....this bodes well.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-02-2023 at 11:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I really don't think the 7:30 start is going over well. It's just really crap for parents plus the early season weather. I brought my 7 year old to one game, and I'll never do it again after dealing with the Sunday fallout.
    I know there are some that love the night games so not all will agree but I really loved the day games (3:30 or 4:00). Aside from the weather being better most of the year, you could go to a game and then still have an evening to do something else. It was fantastic. Also good when I had the little ones with me years ago. Also worked out well when they were not brought to a game and instead dropped to their grandparents for the day instead of a late evening. Mine are all grown up now so not even a thing anymore but I get it from a parent with younger kids point of view too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'mma say the white grey is a fun kit to wear for the most part.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently the league is not letting teams put other CB's at a DP level of pay?

Might have made the Hedges sweepstakes easier for us but geez......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So apparently the league is not letting teams put other CB's at a DP level of pay?

Might have made the Hedges sweepstakes easier for us but geez......

Robinson can defend at the top level. He won't stay in MLS long on TAM money.