Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

miami dc austin galaxy miss playoffs...between rooney wolff vanney a couple of them are likely to be gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup rooney gone...bad decision to make him a head coach in mls

Wayne Rooney, DC United mutually part ways

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    yup rooney gone...bad decision to make him a head coach in mls

Wayne Rooney, DC United mutually part ways
    Not every good player makes a great coach, and a lot of great coaches were pretty mediocre players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rooney had already signed with Birmingham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Rooney had already signed with Birmingham.
    And former Red Carl Robinson is one of his assistants once again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapids approached Arsenal?

It's the same owner for Pete's sake.

Might be a great hire & the Rapids sure could benefit from becoming more involved with Arsenal corporately.

But it's really an internal hire.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Rapids approached Arsenal?

It's the same owner for Pete's sake.

Might be a great hire & the Rapids sure could benefit from becoming more involved with Arsenal corporately.

But it's really an internal hire.
    They're probably required by both the FA and MLS to do this "request " and "permission " as if they're completely separate clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer engaging several MLS clubs for a coaching job; Charlotte FC mentioned specifically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, well, well. This is quite interesting; indeed, very interesting. What sort of ‘monkey in the wrench’ to utter debacle exposure could this be for MLS?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, happenstance? Despite a historic coaching tie, the matter sure is a little peculiar, yet has intriguing optics. Perhaps a FU to the MLS braintrust? I suggest this given Arena’s situation against all those similar recent past circumstances DCUTD has experienced. That he would throw his name in that club’s coach search hat is baffling and bizarre.

Moreover, it may suggest, given all the timings, those windows, involved, the fact Arena has thrown his name in a club’s coaching search mix, and especially that Dunfield interimed until just now, that Arena coulda, shoulda, been seriously considered as TFC’s next gaffer. I am skeptical Herdman as ‘a player handler’ is capable should both our current subject DPs remain or others join; I would much prefer an Arena in that case. I hope Herdman is able to adjust to the many challenges, including the grind and pressure, of the club level experience.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 10-21-2023 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Also, happenstance? Despite a historic coaching tie, the matter sure is a little peculiar, yet has intriguing optics. Perhaps a FU to the MLS braintrust? I suggest this given Arena’s situation against all those similar recent past circumstances DCUTD has experienced. That he would throw his name in that club’s coach search hat is baffling and bizarre.

Moreover, it may suggest, given all the timings, those windows, involved, the fact Arena has thrown his name in a club’s coaching search mix, and especially that Dunfield interimed until just now, that Arena coulda, shoulda, been seriously considered as TFC’s next gaffer. I am skeptical Herdman as ‘a player handler’ is capable should both our current subject DPs remain or others join; I would much prefer an Arena in that case. I hope Herdman is able to adjust to the many challenges, including the grind and pressure, of the club level experience.
    THis is just a political move on his part to force MLS to make a statement. I doubt highly they would uphold his removal from a club, and announce that he has to ask permission to apply for any future roles, then reverse all that a month later.

The optics of this being MLS-approved are insanely bad.

There's absolutely no way we should've considered a guy who'd just been suspended by the league, is 70 years old, and is known to be an eve harder case than Bob. I don't care how good his record is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    THis is just a political move on his part to force MLS to make a statement. I doubt highly they would uphold his removal from a club, and announce that he has to ask permission to apply for any future roles, then reverse all that a month later.

The optics of this being MLS-approved are insanely bad.

There's absolutely no way we should've considered a guy who'd just been suspended by the league, is 70 years old, and is known to be an eve harder case than Bob. I don't care how good his record is.
    Yep, haven’t we bought at the peak for enough historic MLS managers? We need someone on the rise not someone who clearly peaked.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yep, haven’t we bought at the peak for enough historic MLS managers? We need someone on the rise not someone who clearly peaked.
    Vanney was our one manager on the rise and luckily he left at his peak. Well probably a year after his peak. His issues were starting to show in 2018 already but it's been all down hill fast for him since.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today from the twilight zone:

I’m actually upset to see another team being saddled with this poor a manager. There is no way he should be anywhere near a HC job anytime soon(or perhaps ever).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today from the twilight zone, part 2:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today from the twilight zone:

I’m actually upset to see another team being saddled with this poor a manager. There is no way he should be anywhere near a HC job anytime soon(or perhaps ever).
    Colorado is perennially one of those teams that makes me feel better about TFC. Even when they’re winning they’re terrible… I feel if I lived in Colorado, despite the altitude advantage for the team, I wouldn’t bother watching ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It must be nice to get on the managerial merry go round in a league like MLS. Guaranteed job for life no matter how incompetent you are or how bad your track record is. How many other gigs in life work like that?

Armas isn't even the worst of the two. I wouldn't let Phil Neville organize a raffle never mind manager a professional team, how does he still get work!? I genuinely think half the people posting here would be more qualified. It's crazy to me with how much money is in soccer, with the level of analytics and sports science available, that it's an industry that still operates so much on "who you know".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news is: at least we ended up with Herdman who for whatever we may or may not think about him, is clearly outside the circle. But MLS and Us Soccer have a huge nepotism problem.

There are good USL / College managers who aren’t being promoted and same same old names just get recycled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d cheer but my bet is they are like Teachers. Which is to say, so bad we’d probably cry to have Boger back if they ever took the whole pie. At least the telco’s aren’t cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d cheer but my bet is they are like Teachers. Which is to say, so bad we’d probably cry to have Boger back if they ever took the whole pie. At least the telco’s aren’t cheap.
    OMERS, one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, is acquiring a 5% indirect stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (“MLSE”) for US$400 million (~C$546.8 million) through a 20% direct stake in Kilmer Sports Inc. (“KSI”), owned by MLSE Chair Larry Tanenbaum.

Upon closing, Tanenbaum will retain an 80% stake in KSI and KSI maintains its 25% stake in MLSE. Tanenbaum will remain Chair of MLSE, Governor and member of the Executive Committee of the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer, and Chairman of the Board of the National Basketball Association. OMERS will be a financial investor and will not participate in operational decisions of MLSE or any of its teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Maybe. Although right now OMERS has less than a foot in the door; more like fingers prying the crack of a widow. They have no say in MLSE and little say in KSI businesses. IIUC, all this does is establish a current valuation for MLSE in preparation of the bidding war that may occur between the three ownership parties sometime in 2026 when supposedly some sort of shot-gun clause for all or most of the MLSE pie comes into effect.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-06-2023 at 05:36 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, this doesn't change anything - no voting by Omers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, this doesn't change anything - no voting by Omers.
    Directionally, I think they want more here than what they got.

But agreed, their rights to influence the business right now are zilch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcboi View Post
    OMERS, one of Canada’s largest defined benefit pension plans, is acquiring a 5% indirect stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (“MLSE”) for US$400 million (~C$546.8 million) through a 20% direct stake in Kilmer Sports Inc. (“KSI”), owned by MLSE Chair Larry Tanenbaum.

Upon closing, Tanenbaum will retain an 80% stake in KSI and KSI maintains its 25% stake in MLSE. Tanenbaum will remain Chair of MLSE, Governor and member of the Executive Committee of the National Hockey League and Major League Soccer, and Chairman of the Board of the National Basketball Association. OMERS will be a financial investor and will not participate in operational decisions of MLSE or any of its teams.
    Sorry should’ve mee we mentioned that this is from the OMERS press release

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neville has form for poor behaviour towards and treatment of women

So of course the FO who STILL has a major leadership issue about keeping enablers of predators around hires him.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So of course the FO who STILL has a major leadership issue about keeping enablers of predators around hires him.....
    I'm just glad he won't be the next head coach of the CMNT. I thought for sure that was coming.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell he made two gallows humour poor taste jokes, apologized for them immediately -- A DECADE AGO -- and this is still being used to tar him. If you've seen something else I'd love to see it, but Timbers fans couldn't provide any other examples when I asked them yesterday.

People really need to get over their holier-than-thou bullshit. It's just performative nonsense, often from individuals with an exceedingly poor grasp of human nature. Gallows humour is supposed to be shocking, and it's supposed to be absent the context of insulting someone in person.

It's a normal way for people in intensely stressful situations to deal with that stress. It is not an endorsement of behaviour, anymore than the Simpsons' "Itchy and Scratchy" characters were endorsements of cartoon violence.

I don't think he's shown signs of having the humility and interpersonal skills to be a good manager, but he's not a misogynist dick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, I now own part of a sports franchise! Or, at least, my pension does...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Neville, fwiw it being the league

Suggest a listen to the imbedded tweet from CBS.