Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My team in the league of Ireland got relegated. It was fucking abysmal. There wasn't an ounce of joy in it or any season in the second tier. I'm so glad that isn't a possibility here from a selfish POV. You don't know misery until you've watched second tier Irish football. It was absolutely nightmarish. Second tier us/Canada football would also be pretty nightmarish

I don't buy the arguments that we need it at all. I see the benefit of rotating teams and small cities having a chance to rise up so can see the benefits to the entertainment of the league (NOT to the existing teams, there is absolutely no benefit to existing teams) but the flip side is we have a soon to be 30 team league where all 30 teams have a shot of winning it all within 3 years. I could go either way but I don't see it as this absolute need and we aren't real until we have it, that's nonsense. There's benefits to the MLS system Europe will never have

And being relegated absolutely sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    And being relegated absolutely sucks.
    Eh, you get used to it. If your team regularly goes up and down like a yo-yo, it's sort of old hat. In some ways, I'm sort of happy Leeds is in the Championship again this year, as the last couple of years have been Radriazanni and Orta stumbling from mistake to mistake. At least this year we might look competitive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd wonder how a league in Ireland survives, with so many of the stadiums there with capacities of less then 10,000!

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    My team in the league of Ireland got relegated. It was fucking abysmal. There wasn't an ounce of joy in it or any season in the second tier. I'm so glad that isn't a possibility here from a selfish POV. You don't know misery until you've watched second tier Irish football. It was absolutely nightmarish. Second tier us/Canada football would also be pretty nightmarish

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Yeah, you say this on every discussion of promotion and relegation. I've never had it expressed to me by anyone living in the UK. Ever.

Because nobody goes to Hereford and asks.

And its all they know over there - its like talking to addicts.

And those that leave watching the team as it plummets from 6K to 350 in 20 years....they don't talk either.

And the kids don't talk cause they don't follow the team.

So all you are left with is people in their 30's who came to the team as kids & older folks.

I watched Barrow do it slowly but surely from 1971 to almost going under due to a Liverpool mobster in 1999 - they only stayed alive due to fan ownership and a quiet campaign by the teams at the Conference North level to explain to the FA that they had to keep one of their bigger gate teams (bringing 200 to most matches) at that level or face more teams going bust.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 07-12-2023 at 09:30 PM. Reason: subtle change in figures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Because sports is business & anybody who thinks pro/rel is good in other places is ignoring the pain that occurs for those who have the rel happen to the point where the team is no longer viable.

Watch your town's team die or almost die....it changes your mind about pro/rel.

Google the story about Mike Piazza ruining an Italian town.

People think this year is crap to watch & dispiriting?

Try watching your team slowly shrink & die.

No thank you - not interested in that at all.
    I don’t think it’s addiction it’s just life… or as life once was, and still maybe is in places. You were born in a town and that’s your team. Once upon a time it was in the 2nd div, then 3rd then 4th… 20 years later it’s the second division again. You don’t cheer for Man City or Liverpool either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloomberg article (having issue linking) Major League Soccer Considers Accepting Sovereign Wealth Money.

Let’s hope they don’t do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engaged OtD recently about this matter. IMO, it's basically too late. SWF's... just distinctions without differences; some corporate subsidiary shelling and legality shinanagans. In the end, NYCFC already is essentially owned by ABU Dhabi. There is also ABU Dhabi's/AIDA's involvement in ICMF through their non-voting minority shareholder stake in Ares Management as the preferred equity investor and probable Messi placeholder for his eventual shares. Then, finally, in relation and by extension, there's Bell Canada/BCE and the Molsen Family involvement with MBS/KSA/PIF in the ownership of the Montreal Canadians. Maybe MLS is trying to get the horse back into the barn. Gonna discuss and clarify their position internally for any public stance in case they are dragged into the Senate hearings over the PIF/LIV/PGA golf merger as a sporting equivalent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, for the Capologists, more bouncing balls to follow...

...'If you use it to convert an existing DP into a non-DP for cap purposes, you are forced to sign a new DP. Clubs will get $100,000 per year over the next five years, but they can just use all $500,000 right now if they want.'

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-14-2023 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Does this impact TFC in any way, negatively or positively, this transfer window?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-14-2023 at 02:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shits convoluted. Just get rid these rules and bring in a flat wage and transfer cap already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't believe this is a new rule, rather he's arguing about a rule that was brought in just under a decade ago and how to interpret it

He's worded it so poorly, but his quote is not referencing recent times, you can see it word for word from 2015 https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015...ntos-la-galaxy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like TFC is 5min away from setting the single season record for minutes played without scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I can could run on to the pitch and score a goal before anyone of our geriatric strikers could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Looks like TFC is 5min away from setting the single season record for minutes played without scoring.
    I feel like we have owned this record before. At least this time we can add to the footnotes that we did it this time with the highest payroll in the league. 🤣

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    I feel like we have owned this record before. At least this time we can add to the footnotes that we did it this time with the highest payroll in the league. 藍
    When we shatter the record and extend it for a couple more games, the fans should come up with another dichio esque goal song for the exact time we break the drought - purely taking the piss out of season to forget lol. Especially the if the drought just lingers on in anticipation lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The drought was 824 minutes in 2007. Still a ways to go.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Didn’t that stretch across two seasons?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's definitely doable though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it didn’t bother us much then. Out of hardship comes our greatest tradition. (Perhaps a new motto for the club.)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It's definitely doable though.
    Naaah, can't happen.
    (Only way if the team won't want to play for Terry, or the new manager, if we'll have one this season.)

If I would be a bookie, I would give +900 odds for that to happen, and -800 for the "not happening"!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm not surprised.
    IMO any football loving person should hate 0-0 draws, the kind of 0-0's in which there were very few good scoring chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being of Italian heritage, as well as, the steward of shared childhood memories with my father, of his calcio stories/rants, and on behalf of those of the community whom may be aware of Italian calcio from the late 1950's to the mid-1980's, this phenomenon is also known as, you guessed it... 'The Perfect Game'. However, I am not sure what the existential point of the Forbes article is other than the situation is/may soon be 'a MLS record'. IIUC, as of this past Saturday 15JUL23, the league has played about 336 matches of which, according to Forbes, 31 matches have ended on 0-0 draws, which is a 9.22% representation and is already above the 8.8% mark of 2011 the article suggests is in play? However, I am not sure how significant and troubling this aberration being highlighted really is. My understanding is that the average international range of such a result over the past 10 years from world leagues fluctuates from 7-9%; the latest of Y21 @ circa 8%. Seems that hate, for now, may be unwarranted?

https://www.goalprofits.com/what-per...tches-end-0-0/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Being of Italian heritage, as well as, the steward of shared childhood memories with my father, of his calcio stories/rants, and on behalf of those of the community whom may be aware of Italian calcio from the late 1950's to the mid-1980's, this phenomenon is also known as, you guessed it... 'The Perfect Game'. However, I am not sure what the existential point of the Forbes article is other than the situation is/may soon be 'a MLS record'. IIUC, as of this past Saturday 15JUL23, the league has played about 336 matches of which, according to Forbes, 31 matches have ended on 0-0 draws, which is a 9.22% representation and is already above the 8.8% mark of 2011 the article suggests is in play? However, I am not sure how significant and troubling this aberration being highlighted really is. My understanding is that the average international range of such a result over the past 10 years from world leagues fluctuates from 7-9%; the latest of Y21 @ circa 8%. Seems that hate, for now, may be unwarranted?

https://www.goalprofits.com/what-per...tches-end-0-0/
    I'd be interested on what the overall draw ratio is, though. It's the non nil-nil draws that interest me because that's more about the issue of whether there's too much parity in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Great point and question. I suspect higher; though not sure against any international comparison to other global individual league stats or overall. At a cursory glance at this years MLS results so far, about circa 64(?) matches have ended in goal draws. Slightly more than double the Forbes article highlighted goalless draws at 31 matches. So against the 336 matches played so far this suggests a circa 19% rate. If you combine/include that stat with the goalless matches stat, then matches that end in a draw are at about a 28.25% rate; almost a third overall draw ratio. How would you interpret that in your interest whether there's too much parity in MLS?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 07-19-2023 at 04:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, and for the record, came across this interesting MLS wade data interpreting effort and visualization...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watching the all-star game?Arsenal is starting mostly their actual starting lineup, and the MLS team is starting five forwards/attacking mids.

Could either be a slaughter or exciting and weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Anyone watching the all-star game?Arsenal is starting mostly their actual starting lineup, and the MLS team is starting five forwards/attacking mids.

Could either be a slaughter or exciting and weird.
    I have never watched and I will never watch an All Star game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems MLS held a Board of Governors meeting yesterday; during their All-Star Break. Purported agenda was roster rule simplification and transparency. Is change a comin'?

https://twitter.com/USMNT_Thoughts/s...40476733726721

https://twitter.com/St8ofFootball/st...34298238984193

https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...25032081666048