Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I cannot tell what the back is going to look like. Is it just a red stripe down the sides and at the bottom of the back? Will it be one solid colour on the back all red or all grey, or does it continue the front design on the back...
    The back is probably all pink cherry blossoms in an Ovo-themed maple leaf design.

Something for everyone.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF? Another Version?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's Photoshopped.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly, I would take that. It's not great, but it's definitely closer to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a run out and buy every kit kind of guy, so this doesn't offend me as much as some of you. They could wear turtle neck sweaters, mini skirts and sandals. Just along as they win in them.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-19-2023 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brutal kit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I cannot tell what the back is going to look like. Is it just a red stripe down the sides and at the bottom of the back? Will it be one solid colour on the back all red or all grey, or does it continue the front design on the back...
    I'm thinking this is like the FC Dallas kit so the sides and back are red. MLS never has busy stuff on the back. Seeing the name & number very clearly is important for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    It's Photoshopped.
    Duck Me! Thanks RG-TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    WTF? Another Version?

Okay, this would be better, but ... I think that once we see the actual kit on the players it's going to look pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Okay, this would be better, but ... I think that once we see the actual kit on the players it's going to look pretty good.
    Dude, I love your optimism.

I think you have to be wrong on this one, as you are literally the only person among 71 different commenters over three sites who kinda likes this thing.

But fingers crossed. Certainly, the photoshopped design would be a MASSIVE improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish they just went with TFC2's kit from last year. It's already Adidas, they have the template, it's actually red, and it looks so much nicer. It's simple enough, but much nicer IMO. (seeing the Columbus player, I guess all the MLSNP kits looked like that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dude, I love your optimism.

I think you have to be wrong on this one, as you are literally the only person among 71 different commenters over three sites who kinda likes this thing.

But fingers crossed. Certainly, the photoshopped design would be a MASSIVE improvement.
    Well, I am being honest - I truly don't mind it, though I see why everyone else has problems with it. And I hated our last home kit, so for me, this is a definite improvement.

Though yes, this Photoshop with black and red would be better. But let's wait to see the grey on the players before making a final decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding MLS and Kits. Found this tweeted information to be interesting and hopefully accurate; community welcomed to clarify. The suggestion being made is that for a MLS Club to get a third kit it must sell more than 200K Jerseys; last assessed in or by Y19? As well as, in follow-up, obviously, that a celebrity footballer, a DP with cachet, will get you there; those sales. I suspect this knowledge is irrelevant in regards to TFC since we have a third kit... correct? Or am I confused by/with those League issued Special/Community Editions? Still, I believe a useful piece of trivia.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have a bad taste in my mouth from the World Cup on this. Canada not getting a new shirt, so many of the shirts there being utter crap… the whole soccer world needs a rethink on how they do this.

These lead times do not reflect reality. You can read elsewhere about “fast fashion”, how Uniqlo and Zara can get a piece of clothing from concept to available for sale in 100s of stores in 60 days. This isn’t splitting the atom. What is wrong with these sports jersey people?

The whole Adidas/Nike/Puma design hegemony feels like the position of the big brewers 20 years ago- the megabrands are all about cost and volume, and have lost the plot on what it is they actually do.

Get some “craft brewers” in here! We live in a time of amazing creative design, but not much of it is showing up in soccer.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-20-2023 at 08:43 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Agreed. I look at what the CPL has done, their jerseys are on-average better than MLS. Wasn’t rocket science.

Although in the background we all know the problem is that massive Adidas contract. Shame they’ll spend the money and then faceplant on the execution to their own detriment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I already have a bad taste in my mouth from the World Cup on this. Canada not getting a new shirt, so many of the shirts there being utter crap… the whole soccer world needs a rethink on how they do this.

These lead times do not reflect reality. You can read elsewhere about “fast fashion”, how Uniqlo and Zara can get a piece of clothing from concept to available for sale in 100s of stores in 60 days. This isn’t splitting the atom. What is wrong with these sports jersey people?

The whole Adidas/Nike/Puma design hegemony feels like the position of the big brewers 20 years ago- the megabrands are all about cost and volume, and have lost the plot on what it is they actually do.

Get some “craft brewers” in here! We live in a time of amazing creative design, but not much of it is showing up in soccer.
    Having a new kit every year, or every 2 in our case, doesn't help. I get why it happens, but the ability of designers to keep generating red shirts is limited and naturally leads to abominations every once in a while as someone tries to do something different.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been watching Napoli for years. Maybe because they were Kappa and now EA7 for past couple seasons they had some leeway but there is at least 5 kits per season including the special ones in recent. Some are fairly unique too. Last cup game they had a valentine's edition with a big lips on the side...not the biggest fan of that one myself but I thought pretty bold on their part. They lost the game so likely will never see it again though. Haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Having a new kit every year, or every 2 in our case, doesn't help. I get why it happens, but the ability of designers to keep generating red shirts is limited and naturally leads to abominations every once in a while as someone tries to do something different.
    The issue is they feel the need to reinvent the wheel each time to provide incentive for people to buy to have the latest thing. But honestly, jersey sales would be just as okay or better if they’d just stick to a classic red and make incremental changes each time it came up for a refresh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can read elsewhere about “fast fashion”, how Uniqlo and Zara can get a piece of clothing from concept to available for sale in 100s of stores in 60 days. This isn’t splitting the atom. What is wrong with these sports jersey people?
    generally agree with the point, but "fast fashion" is not a good trail marker. It's usually awful quality, falls apart within a year or two at most, is often made by near-slave labor in places like Saipan and China, and is incredibly environmentally unfriendly.

It's truly an awful, anti-social practise that benefits no one except those getting rich quickly. It's also, as is often the case with "cheaper, faster" influencing the already poor quality of much 'label' wear to decline even further.

Disposability to advance the cycle of capitalist 'productivity', maintaining the illusion of endless gain, is one of humanity's banes right now. Simple people are very easily misled into thinking making things cheaper is always better for them, and rarely realizing they are the proverbial frog being boiled in water: it's cheaper because the heavily capitalized company loss leads for years to put competition under, at which point it stops being cheaper.

Even then, much of this cheaper consumerism, from clothing to electronics to food, is hurting the people who are supposed to benefit from it, because they replace things far more often, and in the balance lose money.

I have a kitchen full of white goods from the 80s and 90s, all so close to solid-state and dependable that they are easily and cheaply repaired. It was all there when we bought the house five years ago, and is still ticking along fine. Dishwasher from 1983, Fridge from 1988 (less energy efficient but minimall so), oven from 1992.

I have six televisions downstairs in storage that either don't work or we no longer use, all bought since 2006, plus an old 220lb tube Sony unit from the 90s. It's sort of disgraceful when you think about it, that we're destroying the habitability and natural wonder of the planet at least in part to produce so much waste.

End rant.

My argument on the shirts is just that MLS looks corporate and foolish; even the CPL has nicer gear (much nicer). In world football terms, it's sort of embarrassing that appearance is such a afterthought.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-20-2023 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The issue is they feel the need to reinvent the wheel each time to provide incentive for people to buy to have the latest thing. But honestly, jersey sales would be just as okay or better if they’d just stick to a classic red and make incremental changes each time it came up for a refresh.
    There are so many classic styles and designs they could put out a different shirt each year without repeating one for twenty years, using only proven designs, and they still wouldn't run out.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many classic styles and designs they could put out a different shirt each year without repeating one for twenty years, using only proven designs, and they still wouldn't run out.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Our kits have always mediocre or pretty close to it. I used to imagine that this made sense because our overall organization was also poor and so why would special attention be paid to our look. But now, I’m not sure. Maybe once many bad kits have been produced it’s difficult to get out of the rut of variations on previous crap.

Simple is usually best. Not sure about imitation though because we began as a Liverpool imitation and pretty much everything issuing from that was weak and without imagination. The Raptors freed themselves of their Purple Jurassic Park theme but we’re still bad. Red and grey, anyway is not a nice combination. All red, all white is usually best for us.

But truly I’d like a total rebrand. We didn’t need to be fake Liverpool to be fans and go to the stadium. The crest too began as a mindless, historyless version of a British crest/coat of arms and hasn’t totally escaped being bad.

Of course, if we play well, I’m okay if we look bad. I don’t mind apologizing to guests from out of the country. It’s better than having to apologize for the football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Our... Of course, if we play well, I’m okay if we look bad. I don’t mind apologizing to guests from out of the country. It’s better than having to apologize for the football.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

generally agree with the point, but "fast fashion" is not a good trail marker. It's usually awful quality, falls apart within a year or two at most, is often made by near-slave labor in places like Saipan and China, and is incredibly environmentally unfriendly.

It's truly an awful, anti-social practise that benefits no one except those getting rich quickly. It's also, as is often the case with "cheaper, faster" influencing the already poor quality of much 'label' wear to decline even further.

Disposability to advance the cycle of capitalist 'productivity', maintaining the illusion of endless gain, is one of humanity's banes right now. Simple people are very easily misled into thinking making things cheaper is always better for them, and rarely realizing they are the proverbial frog being boiled in water: it's cheaper because the heavily capitalized company loss leads for years to put competition under, at which point it stops being cheaper.

Even then, much of this cheaper consumerism, from clothing to electronics to food, is hurting the people who are supposed to benefit from it, because they replace things far more often, and in the balance lose money.

I have a kitchen full of white goods from the 80s and 90s, all so close to solid-state and dependable that they are easily and cheaply repaired. It was all there when we bought the house five years ago, and is still ticking along fine. Dishwasher from 1983, Fridge from 1988 (less energy efficient but minimall so), oven from 1992.

I have six televisions downstairs in storage that either don't work or we no longer use, all bought since 2006, plus an old 220lb tube Sony unit from the 90s. It's sort of disgraceful when you think about it, that we're destroying the habitability and natural wonder of the planet at least in part to produce so much waste.

End rant.

My argument on the shirts is just that MLS looks corporate and foolish; even the CPL has nicer gear (much nicer). In world football terms, it's sort of embarrassing that appearance is such a afterthought.
    Good rant. I wasn't arguing that soccer should implement that exactly, more that this whole "two year lead time" is a crock.

There has to be a middle ground (and one that doesn't involve slave wages or work conditions)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am! What you gonna do about it Paulie?

Yeah! Thought so!

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-24-2023 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay so after seeing the actual jersey and not the youth one I can safely say that it's slightly less ugly than the one posted online.

That's the best I can say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have some new pics here:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/...-home-kit.html

Doesn't look as bad. The hoops look like they continue across the back as well. Still....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    They have some new pics here:

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/...-home-kit.html

Doesn't look as bad. The hoops look like they continue across the back as well. Still....
    Guess you might say they may be trying for or has some Barca 2015/16 vibes?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Guess you might say they may be trying for or has Barca 2015/16 vibes?

if it was onyx and red with that grey stripe being in the yellow, maybe, yeah. But that's not what this is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! MLS Referee's/PRO have got new kits as well...

https://proreferees.com/2023/02/02/p...h-new-uniform/
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-03-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when you thought The CFL's Alouettes were the sideshow of the week/month in Montreal, here comes MLS's CFM and Joey to reclaim that pole position...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-05-2023 at 05:43 AM.