Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    <<but he's showed the same pattern everywhere>>

Dude, he literally hasn't. He went to Barca and scored 11 in 18. That was only six months ago. If the guy isn't robbed and beaten, he's probably still there scoring goals.

Some strikers just don't settle in England. Plus, he's 33. I also haven't seen any "locker room poison" stories, just Arteta disliking his effort and Auba saying "he hasn't even talked to me." THat was right before Barca, which was six months ago.

I'll give you he's been terrible at Chelsea, but perhaps he's not up to that level competitively anymore and expects to fail because of his time at Arsenal.... all of which is moot. He scored 11 in 18 at Barcelona six months ago; he's a better-than-MLS striker.
    He was dropped by Arteta due to disciplinary issues.

He left Barca because he was robbed? That's one story. Others have said it Lewandowski coming in and his playing time reduced. Also no one likes his "demeanour."

And he got dropped fast by Potter.

I don't know. 3 teams in 18 months seems like a pattern. I wish he'd go to Club Foot to be honest. Would be a good replacement for Kei Kamara.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    He was dropped by Arteta due to disciplinary issues.
    He disputed this. His version was that Arteta never approached him, never disciplined him and never had a single conversation with him about it. He just dropped him and let it filter back to him that it was due to his "attitude."

I'm not saying he's correct, just that Arteta's version was Arteta's version.

I read all the stories at the time, and there were no official sources or other players taking sides in this. Although, it certainly did seem from how obvious it was to the media that Aubameyang would've known he was on the hotseat for not training hard enough.

Kamara is allegedly back at Club Foot. A story last week had him saying he was taking the deal while actively looking for another job. It sounded delightfully toxic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronaldo is 37, and would still score 30 goals in MLS.

We're a decent league now, ala Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Scotland. But we're also a skill-heavy league -- skill on the ball, far less tactically disciplined, and technically quite naive.

A good technical player, who understands the cut-off angles that are blind to defenders, who knows how to move against the movement of the rest of a team, who can bounce between two central defenders until he has subtly pushed them a bit too wide... that guy doesn't need a lot of speed in our league. He just needs service, and LAFC has tons.

But maybe he'll come in disinterested. That was the knock in England, that he really didn't seem to want to be there. Which I can understand. When I was kid living part of the year in Africa and part in England, I'll be blunt about how depressing English weather and some social elements could be.

Angola had all sorts of problems, but it also had the nicest people on Earth, fantastic weather, beautiful beaches.

If you're a pro footballer with enough money that you could afford to live anywhere, England can wear on you. Kevin De Bruyne, who lives in London for his career right now, was quite blunt in an interview with the Guardian before the World Cup about how quickly he'd be leaving once his career was done.

Auba is at the end of his career, a guy in his thirties with a family. It might be that living in LA is a refreshing change of scenery.

I always assumed he lived in Manchester, that's a hell of a commute for training each day if he does live in London. Have you got a link to that interview by any chance, be interested to read that. I know he's taking his coaching badges, so I'll assume he'll go wherever he gets work when he's finished playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I always assumed he lived in Manchester, that's a hell of a commute for training each day if he does live in London. Have you got a link to that interview by any chance, be interested to read that. I know he's taking his coaching badges, so I'll assume he'll go wherever he gets work when he's finished playing.
    I can't find it. I thought it was the Guardian but theirs was a similar piece, albeit a little less strongly worded; they may have been off the same presser or junket interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-cup-home-life

I remembered it as London but it was probably Manchester. He talked about not liking to go out because he can't go a hundred yards without having to sign an autograph, and how when he was young, living in London was depressing for someone of his character. (Ok, that might be why I remembered it as London, as he started out at Chelsea).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't find it. I thought it was the Guardian but theirs was a similar piece, albeit a little less strongly worded; they may have been off the same presser or junket interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-cup-home-life

I remembered it as London but it was probably Manchester. He talked about not liking to go out because he can't go a hundred yards without having to sign an autograph, and how when he was young, living in London was depressing for someone of his character. (Ok, that might be why I remembered it as London, as he started out at Chelsea).
    cheers for that, makes sense ie the Chelsea and London part. He's not the party type, very much a family man, so London might have been a bit much for him, plus he wasn't playing much either, although he seems fairly contented in that interview you give above. I was gonna add, with him doing his coaching badges, he could do a lot worse than hanging on at City and doing what Arteta did, but with the trouble that City are in right now, maybe not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    cheers for that, makes sense ie the Chelsea and London part. He's not the party type, very much a family man, so London might have been a bit much for him, plus he wasn't playing much either, although he seems fairly contented in that interview you give above. I was gonna add, with him doing his coaching badges, he could do a lot worse than hanging on at City and doing what Arteta did, but with the trouble that City are in right now, maybe not.
    He seems quite aloof, which would make a good manager. His comments in that piece about Belgium at the world cup were quite prescient, too. Probably did not endear him to his international teammates however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eriq Zavaleta re-signs with the LA Galaxy.

His good fortune never ends, it seems. What luck that they are a little short at center half when the guy responsible for signings with Chris Klein out suspended is...

Oh. Never mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eriq Zavaleta re-signs with the LA Galaxy. His good fortune never ends, it seems. What luck that they are a little short at center half when the guy responsible for signings with Chris Klein out suspended is... Oh. Never mind.
    Zavaleta and Armas seem to each carry The Seven Gods of Good Fortune with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Auba is going to LAFC on loan for the rest of the PL season. So we'll see how he does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Auba is going to LAFC on loan for the rest of the PL season. So we'll see how he does.
    Hercules Gomez's take was it's a mistake. He said at the right team, where he can just be a number nine poacher, he'd score tons of goals in MLS. But Cherundolo expects his striker to press the backline, and he's never been willing to play defense really.

Probably a good point. They'll probably end up using him like Bale as a late scoring threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, that may not be the real concern. Some reporting suggests Chelsea is willing to pay all his wages during the loan; unclear if it is for rest of the contract, to July 2024 or just until July 2023; next window. Even if LAFC just pays a discounted/token amount, the transfer should be perceived problematic. Factions of LAFC and Chelsea Ownership have dealings together; share business interests. That could be considered a conflict or at the very least not in the spirit of any financial fair play. Although, latest is that Auba wants to stay in Europe.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-10-2023 at 03:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/CFCPys/status/16...ORtRvuv0Q&s=19

Sounds like aubameyang wants to stay at chelsea, ac milan and barca interested in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noble Okello now going on trial with New England (after previously trialling with Inter Miami and LA Galaxy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Noble Okello now going on trial with New England (after previously trialling with Inter Miami and LA Galaxy

on to trial with his 3rd mls team, i reckon he ends up in cpl.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s still a chance to salvage a good career here. But he’s really got to put his foot in the gas. Looked too comfortable at TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops! PB still has to hone some of his reporting skills?

Translation: 'A former #TFClive finds a buyer. He will be on familiar ground with Delgado, Mavinga and Raheem Edwards'.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-13-2023 at 06:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this fits under TFC or non-TFC but Sam Adekugbe is looking for a loan after his club has cancelled its season in Turkey (multiple MLS teams interested). Too bad, as he would have been perfect prior to our recent signings.

I’d like to see him try another league in Europe. Honestly think he’s the most underrated player on the CANMNt roster.

https://theathletic.com/4192690/2023/02/13/turkey-earthquake-canadian-soccer-players/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Further details...

''According to a source familiar with Adekugbe’s situation, Hatayspor’s players and agents have been told by the Turkish Football Association that they are free to sign with any team interested in seeing them on a short-term loan until the summer. Crucially, foreign players would not be considered foreign players when signing loan deals (in Turkiye), potentially widening their options. The source said Adekugbe has been in talks with the Istanbul-based Turkish teams for a loan deal and it is likely he will sign with one of those teams. Adekugbe’s contract at Hatayspor runs until June 30, 2024.''

https://thehitc.com/earthquake-in-tu...s-brotherhood/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ing-aubameyang

Good piece on the debate there. The argument from the writer is that Potter refuses to play him because he's a pure 9 who won't press. But the writer argues he's Chelsea's best finisher.

As for his three goals this year, he notes he hasn't played since Nov. 3. If you don't play -- and he's been left out of their CL squad -- you can't score.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just looking at Galatasaray's roster (trying to figure out how Adekugbe fits in) and I hadn't quite appreciated the caliber of players there generally:

Fernando Muslera I knew, but... Mauro Icardi, Juan Mata, Dries Mertens, Nicolo Zaniolo. Gomis, Giovinco's strike partner from Saudi, is there too. Gomis has 46 goals in 64 games over two stints there.

I mean, holy crap, what a move for Adekugbe. TFC/MLS would have had no shot compared to a team like that.

I understand the Petretta thing better now. Sam was never coming.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Messi IS coming to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    So Messi IS coming to MLS.
    Not according to Fabrizio Romano. Still, seems that some kind of momentum, media tempest, is building; from possibility towards probability. That sound in the distance some may be hearing is the beeping of an MLS Brinks Semi-Trailer backing-up.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 02-16-2023 at 02:51 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Not according to Fabrizio Romano. Still, seems that some kind of momentum, media tempest, is building; from possibility towards probability. That sound in the distance some may be hearing is the beeping of an MLS Brinks Semi-Trailer backing-up.
    unfortunate that our home match with them is early this year but what're you gonna do

2024 Messi tickets are gonna be money for SSH if this does go through

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good piece on the debate there. The argument from the writer is that Potter refuses to play him because he's a pure 9 who won't press. But the writer argues he's Chelsea's best finisher.

As for his three goals this year, he notes he hasn't played since Nov. 3. If you don't play -- and he's been left out of their CL squad -- you can't score.
    Potter had that same exact issue at Brighton, team played good football but struggled to score. Look at Brighton now under a new manager, knocking in goals for fun with pretty much the same squad Potter left. Re CL, Chelsea now are 10th in league, 10 points of the last CL spot. For a team who have spent $600 million in last 2 transfer windows, that's criminal if they don't make that. It's one thing, having a defined footballing principle, but sometimes you need to be flexible,a bit more pragmatic and work with what you have until you can get the exact player you want. Chelsea have 2 goals in their last 6 games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw another article that Chelsea is trying to move to young, hungry players and Auba doesn't fit that...also the disciplinary issues. Saturday's lineup should be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes, at a certain instant, a tipping point, a story begins to take on a life of it's own; momentum is a funny thing, as is the Pygmalion Effect.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/21418...box=1676640038

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw another article that Chelsea is trying to move to young, hungry players and Auba doesn't fit that...also the disciplinary issues. Saturday's lineup should be interesting.
    Auba not even in the team today. He’s toast with Chelsea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auba not even in the team today. He’s toast with Chelsea.
    This was Potter literally yesterday:
    https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/17/graha...ture-18302314/

I realize I'm probably coming off as an Aubamayang fan -- I'm not -- but this whole story seems to be continually odds with what people are actually saying publicly.

Potter literally claims publicly he has NO disciplinary issue with him and he still considers him an important team members.

‘Of course, Pierre is in our squad, he remains an important player for us, he’s worked hard, he knows the situation at the moment.
    ‘Nothing’s set in stone, his attitude has been really, really good. We’ll make an assessment as we go forward.’

But... he clearly has issues with him and isn't playing him.

I swear, neurotypical people drive me mad sometimes.

So explain this one to me, fellow Norvician (okay, more ancestral in my case, but I digress). Is this politicking, because someone above him at Chelsea DOES like Aubamayang?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was Potter literally yesterday:
    https://metro.co.uk/2023/02/17/graha...ture-18302314/

I realize I'm probably coming off as an Aubamayang fan -- I'm not -- but this whole story seems to be continually odds with what people are actually saying publicly.

Potter literally claims publicly he has NO disciplinary issue with him and he still considers him an important team members.

‘Of course, Pierre is in our squad, he remains an important player for us, he’s worked hard, he knows the situation at the moment.
    ‘Nothing’s set in stone, his attitude has been really, really good. We’ll make an assessment as we go forward.’

But... he clearly has issues with him and isn't playing him.

I swear, neurotypical people drive me mad sometimes.

So explain this one to me, fellow Norvician (okay, more ancestral in my case, but I digress). Is this politicking, because someone above him at Chelsea DOES like Aubamayang?
    Didn’t Tuchel coach him at BVB? I think he was the reason they got him, then Tuchel was axed shortly after. And Potter was stuck with him.