Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Fire have sold Duran to Aston Villa for a fee of up to $22M

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/...JdFJtOxoOM0kOA

That's mad.
    Stuff like this is really going to get noticed by agents all around the world. MLS has really started to come on as a league that can get you to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    The Fire have sold Duran to Aston Villa for a fee of up to $22M

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/...JdFJtOxoOM0kOA

That's mad.
    Escalation in Premier League transfers with all the billionaire owners. IT's so out of hand even the presidents of other leagues are commenting on it being unsustainable.

The 14.75 million pounds they paid Chicago is less than Nottingham Forest paid for Neco Williams, who isn't good enough to play in the premiership.

In fact, I'll give anyone here odds that Jhon Duran scores more premiership goals in his career than Brendan Aaronson does. The kid is a dead cert to make it at the top level, even if it winds up being at Villa or another second-tier top club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Romeo Beckham made his debut for Brentford B against a ninth tier team, but the funny thing is David Beckham was in attendance, after a huge gathered he had to jump a fence and leave (photos in link)
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64234563

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Escalation in Premier League transfers with all the billionaire owners. IT's so out of hand even the presidents of other leagues are commenting on it being unsustainable. The 14.75 million pounds they paid Chicago is less than Nottingham Forest paid for Neco Williams, who isn't good enough to play in the premiership. In fact, I'll give anyone here odds that Jhon Duran scores more premiership goals in his career than Brendan Aaronson does. The kid is a dead cert to make it at the top level, even if it winds up being at Villa or another second-tier top club.
    Some clubs, like Chelsea with Mudryk, may experiment with and try a more favourable [ Terms? ], currently or soon to be in fashion, 'Amortized' over an extended period [8.5 Years] contract route/solution? I believe the NHL/NFL/MLB may have a few experiences with this practice.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-17-2023 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Run David, run!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-17-2023 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The money in the premier league is absolutely nuts. What I find baffling is how billionaire owners(not oil states) haven't yet lobbied for actual wage/transfer caps in the UEFA region. FFP is a complete joke.

That said Chelsea is in a unique situation, they were banned from making any transfers for a window and also had all of the their debt wiped off the books. It's like if you went into football manager and created a new team with a starting budget of $500m pounds, and several billion in cash reserves.

If Newcastle make top 4 this year you could easily see them spend $300m next summer, they are another team that have a lot room for spend according to FFP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The money in the premier league is absolutely nuts. What I find baffling is how billionaire owners(not oil states) haven't yet lobbied for actual wage/transfer caps in the UEFA region. FFP is a complete joke.

That said Chelsea is in a unique situation, they were banned from making any transfers for a window and also had all of the their debt wiped off the books. It's like if you went into football manager and created a new team with a starting budget of $500m pounds, and several billion in cash reserves.

If Newcastle make top 4 this year you could easily see them spend $300m next summer, they are another team that have a lot room for spend according to FFP.
    FFP was never about equity and was always about trying to stop teams from breaking into the elite club. But it doesn't even do that well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like okello is at the miami camp...good luck to him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    looks like okello is at the miami camp...good luck to him
    Cover in MF in case they don’t get Messi
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next chapter in the continuing story of US soccer honchos being passive aggressive dickweeds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also in Inter Miami / TFC related news:

https://miamitotalfutbol.substack.co...dfielder-noble

Feels like a Jay Chapman esque career arc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Also in Inter Miami / TFC related news:

https://miamitotalfutbol.substack.co...dfielder-noble

Feels like a Jay Chapman esque career arc.
    So far, other MLS clubs love trying to prove TFC wrong by signing young guys who were cast off before playing for the first Team in the league.

So far, very few of them have proven sensible. Raheem, but even he took a while to settle into just being a wingback.

Who else? It's hard to think of any who've made it. OB White went to Seattle but reinjured his knee and had to retire. Sam Cronin had few more good years in Colorado (he was a great, great passer of the ball, a real technician who never reached his above-MLS potential).

Nick Hagglund, but he was already a four-year player by the time he left us.

Who have we lost where it REALLY looks like we lost a youth prospect who would've helped us? My memory for this sort of thing is shit, so I'm genuinely asking if anyone can remember any.

There are guys we shouldn't have shed who were useful or just plain good in MLS -- Lovitz, Hasler, Beitashour, Williams, Frei -- but the only two young guys we've lost recently that pissed me off, Shaffelburg and Petrasso, weren't that young. They're 23 year olds; in the Premier League, if you're not good enough by 18-21 these days, you usually end up playing at a lower level.

Any real youth prospects that did better elsewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far, other MLS clubs love trying to prove TFC wrong by signing young guys who were cast off before playing for the first Team in the league.

So far, very few of them have proven sensible. Raheem, but even he took a while to settle into just being a wingback.

Who else? It's hard to think of any who've made it. OB White went to Seattle but reinjured his knee and had to retire. Sam Cronin had few more good years in Colorado (he was a great, great passer of the ball, a real technician who never reached his above-MLS potential).

Nick Hagglund, but he was already a four-year player by the time he left us.

Who have we lost where it REALLY looks like we lost a youth prospect who would've helped us? My memory for this sort of thing is shit, so I'm genuinely asking if anyone can remember any.

There are guys we shouldn't have shed who were useful or just plain good in MLS -- Lovitz, Hasler, Beitashour, Williams, Frei -- but the only two young guys we've lost recently that pissed me off, Shaffelburg and Petrasso, weren't that young. They're 23 year olds; in the Premier League, if you're not good enough by 18-21 these days, you usually end up playing at a lower level.

Any real youth prospects that did better elsewhere?
    Do we count Mark-Anthony Kaye?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Do we count Mark-Anthony Kaye?
    Yeahhhh... I guess he qualifies.

That's a tough one. When we let him go, he was an arrogant ass who wouldn't listen to coaches. They basically considered him uncoachable, at least in terms of getting better enough to be a pro.

His USL time really swung his head around. He's talked about the fact that TFC was right at the time, that he needed a wake up call.

In fact, by us releasing him relatively early, he probably improved his chances. Those who hung around for years like Chapman and Hamilton just stagnated at their existing level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeahhhh... I guess he qualifies.

That's a tough one. When we let him go, he was an arrogant ass who wouldn't listen to coaches. They basically considered him uncoachable, at least in terms of getting better enough to be a pro.

His USL time really swung his head around. He's talked about the fact that TFC was right at the time, that he needed a wake up call.

In fact, by us releasing him relatively early, he probably improved his chances. Those who hung around for years like Chapman and Hamilton just stagnated at their existing level.
    The other side to that story is Kaye didn’t see a path to be a pro in Toronto and basically forced a management’s hand “start me or trade me” was the ultimatum given, or something like that.

Tough to say he was strong given where his peers ended up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Callens to Girona....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cronin… had few more good years in Colorado (he was a great, great passer of the ball, a real technician who never reached his above-MLS potential).
    OK since no news, digression time. Cronin. OMG I loved that player. You are understating this. Cronin was the biggest roster mistake in TFC history. Preki sold him for nothing the year after he went second overall in the draft (and the reasons Preki did that, well, you can probably find the speculation on reddit about that).

Sam immediately became an automatic starter for SJ and they won the Shield two years later. That team had Wondo, Big Bird (Lenhart), I have very vivid memories of them. Poor SJ that year lost in the playoffs to an inferior Galaxy team by coughing up the second leg, having won away at LA in the first leg.

I just looked it up, he continued to start every game there and then in Colorado for 5 years after that. He was an all star btw, in 2015.

It'll probably be decades before we see a decision on a young player as bad as the Cronin decision.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-18-2023 at 06:09 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    OK since no news, digression time. Cronin. OMG I loved that player. You are understating this. Cronin was the biggest roster mistake in TFC history. Preki sold him for nothing the year after he went second overall in the draft (and the reasons Preki did that, well, you can probably find the speculation on reddit about that).

Sam immediately became an automatic starter for SJ and they won the Shield two years later. That team had Wondo, Big Bird (Lenhart), I have very vivid memories of them. Poor SJ that year lost in the playoffs to an inferior Galaxy team by coughing up the second leg, having won away at LA in the first leg.

I just looked it up, he continued to start every game there and then in Colorado for 5 years after that. He was an all star btw, in 2015.

It'll probably be decades before we see a decision on a young player as bad as the Cronin decision.
    Yeah, now that you point out how well he did in the league after I guess I did understate it.

To me, the real loss there was to Cronin. He was better than MLS, he just was. His technical ability as a hybrid 6/8 was crazy; he could step out of way of two tackles and drop a ball pretty much anywhere on the pitch. He could tackle, he was strong and tough. He just lacked a little speed and athleticism. But so did Oso at one point.

I really thought by year three he'd at least be at one of the secondary Euro leagues on the way to a major career.

Instead we traded him and this league eats talent. Less so now, but the hybrid style of play, the travel, the general lack of experience of the coaches and managers relative to other leagues... shit like that is why. Some crookedness too, if the stuff about the manager's agent contacts and signings was true. Was Saric brought in as a result? He was fucking terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, now that you point out how well he did in the league after I guess I did understate it.

To me, the real loss there was to Cronin. He was better than MLS, he just was. His technical ability as a hybrid 6/8 was crazy; he could step out of way of two tackles and drop a ball pretty much anywhere on the pitch. He could tackle, he was strong and tough. He just lacked a little speed and athleticism. But so did Oso at one point.

I really thought by year three he'd at least be at one of the secondary Euro leagues on the way to a major career.

Instead we traded him and this league eats talent. Less so now, but the hybrid style of play, the travel, the general lack of experience of the coaches and managers relative to other leagues... shit like that is why. Some crookedness too, if the stuff about the manager's agent contacts and signings was true. Was Saric brought in as a result? He was fucking terrible.
    Don't know how true this was, but I remember a story about the 1st game against San Jose with Aron Winter in charge. He remarked about Cronin being really good and the sort of player TFC should target!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BritSOL View Post
    Don't know how true this was, but I remember a story about the 1st game against San Jose with Aron Winter in charge. He remarked about Cronin being really good and the sort of player TFC should target!
    They told that story at one of the SSH open houses. He was told Cronin used to be a TFC player and Winter was like oh, shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.thestar.com/sports/socce...ear-deals.html

Sounders doing business properly, as usual. Morris is now inked until age 33 and will likely retire with the club, barring another injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapids midfield becomes a little more crowded for Priso to get playing time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/color...pton-wanderers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    Rapids midfield becomes a little more crowded for Priso to get playing time.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/color...pton-wanderers
    Yeah, I noticed he got some playing time in their game the other day, but didn't start. Decent younger player they've signed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How's for LA Galaxy losing Grandsir too. There are some major holes in a lot of teams this offseason. I would wager that Philly is looking like a really good bet to win the cup as although they've transferred out some key guys they continue to produce actual quality academy kids who step in and own their position consistently. Not something we've experienced outside of Oso.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting this because of all the direct references to Orlando’s scouting activities. We rarely hear about this stuff at TFC… which is not at all to say that it doesn’t happen here, just that some of us are unclear about scouting in general since the days when the league rather than the clubs did (and imposed) the majority of the scouting.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/the-s...r-martin-ojeda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ballou Tabla gets another shot at the big time, relatively speaking. Signed to the Turkish First Division side Manisa FK.

https://atleticoottawa.canpl.ca/arti...ballou-moments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC picked up another backup keeper with the surname Romero. Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://twitter.com/tombogert/status...hsSlfWYig&s=19
    Forest want Brenner and he wants the move. Could be devastating for fcc
    I sense the potential for a Cyle Larin sitch developing to play out. Let's see what sort of cajones his agent has. 48 hours (+4) or so and counting down...

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-29-2023 at 06:45 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and therein lies the problem with building around young talented players.

the second they do well enough, you have to sell em.