Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once again, admirably stated.
    You wear another/this other hat well.
    Have you thought about applying to TFC’s Scouting Department?
    I suspect they/we could use you right about now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sasha Kljestan retired

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martinez to Miami - DP slot taken up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Sasha Kljestan retired
    Let's rename the tunnel in his honour.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Martinez to Miami - DP slot taken up.

You sure he would get DP money? The Altidore deal in NE last year was a TAM deal, and that didn’t go very well…

This would finally be Miami bringing in somebody smart from a marketing pov in that market btw. Mexicans, Englishmen, Spaniards, Ecuadorians, do little to move the needle there. Its the bigger South American countries that have big expat communities there. Like Venezuela.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also… Miami , hmmm… could we somehow be in the mix for Campana here? Meant to ask that when the Cho rumours were floated a couple of days ago… at least we know Campana can play in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wow, still a DP. That's a surprise. He's a good player but they seemed to have moved on from that. Probably the influence of Losada, who would know him from Beerschot and Europe in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Also… Miami , hmmm… could we somehow be in the mix for Campana here? Meant to ask that when the Cho rumours were floated a couple of days ago… at least we know Campana can play in MLS.
    Not unless they landed a Messi-level DP. If Giroud went there, maybe, as Neville likes to play a solo striker. But he had 11 goals and they signed him to a DP deal, I believe. He's a good player, big and strong, soft touch, looks older than his years.

Maybe they have him on a u22 DP? I think he qualifies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having watched quite a bit of his play, I will be extremely surprised if he ever plays 10 minutes in a competitive game for Brentford's first team, or one at the MLS level for that matter.

He has many deficiencies in his game. His passing is woeful, his movement minimal. He can cross a ball and he can hit a deadball, and that's about it. And he's athletically not even close.

I truly wouldn't be surprised if this was as much doing a favor to Miami's Next team as getting him better/more training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Having watched quite a bit of his play, I will be extremely surprised if he ever plays 10 minutes in a competitive game for Brentford's first team, or one at the MLS level for that matter.

He has many deficiencies in his game. His passing is woeful, his movement minimal. He can cross a ball and he can hit a deadball, and that's about it. And he's athletically not even close.

I truly wouldn't be surprised if this was as much doing a favor to Miami's Next team as getting him better/more training.
    It’s definitely a favour. Nobody not named Beckham can go from off-season condition at a third tier North American club to mid-season EPL reserve list. Third tier NA is what 5th tier in England?

The only way he should be able to step foot inside Gtech stadium is if he bought a ticket. Imagine being the guy who lost this spot?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You watch. He will play, a bit anyway. League Cup or something. This is business.

The Qataris paid $150M or some such to Beckham for a half-assed ambassador gig at the WC.

If Brentford get even one game witn David Beckham in rapt attendance, meeting the team in the room etc, cameras firing… it will pay for itself 10x in exposure and “Beckham” jersey sales

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article in the paper today about levonte johnson (Canadian, drafted late in the 1st by Whitecaps, MAC Herrman finalist).

What I find interesting is this guy has won wherever he’s played and literally scrapped himself off the bottom playing for bad US schools and climbed the ladder eventually to Syracuse and is one of their top players.

Just my $0.02 but that sort of fight probably will make him a good professional. Suspect he’ll be much better than many of the players selected before him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sasha Kljestan retired
    Let's rename the tunnel in his honour.
    Newer people won't get that but it's quite a funny comment.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahh the smell of [MONTREAL SUFFERING]. Kamara requesting trade.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic has a big story today on all the ins and outs of CR's decision to go to Saudi.

Pretty in depth piece, runs to 18 pages if you print it. Lots of sourced discussion on his conversations with Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid....

Anybody care to guess how many times it mentions SKC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    ahh the smell of [MONTREAL SUFFERING]. Kamara requesting trade.
    Hmmm... the fitness freak coach who prefers young players isn't going to start him? Shocker.

Basically, as much as fans seem to love him, the dude has always been a locker-room cancer because he won't shut the fuck up. I'm sure he thinks, at 39, that Losada has never been the striker he is, and is young, and doesn't know him as well as he knows himself... and a billion other rationales that don't justify whining publicly about roster business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic has a big story today on all the ins and outs of CR's decision to go to Saudi.

Pretty in depth piece, runs to 18 pages if you print it. Lots of sourced discussion on his conversations with Chelsea, Bayern, Real Madrid....

Zippity Dippity?

Hell, they're plugging 'Guaranteed Green Cards' now, a promise that could get them into legal trouble, as I'm fairly certain they're not allowed to make it.

(Professional footballers nearly all fall under the 'exceptional talents' rule, so it's likely true. But I'm still pretty sure it's not legal, because of past scammery.)

It's so crass and penny-ante.

Rich Hall, the great American comic and documentarian (who some of us might remember from SNL for a year and Not Necessarily The News for eight more), has lived in Britain for 20 years. In a podcast interview this week, He compared doing comedy in the UK to the US based on where he was during the interview: In London, it's in a theatre, because humour is seen as an art form. In a U.S. city, it would be in 'The Chuckle Hut', and the audience would be more concerned with the price of jalapeno poppers.

Has anyone at Apple or MLS actually ever listened to a great announcer wax poetic? Instead, we get a 'bro' lineup of ex-athletes who will repeat the same trite shit and jingoism. I never thought I'd say "Thank God for Luke Wileman..." but...

(He's staying on, I understand, as the local voice, and will be carried as the parallel 'Radio' voice on Apple TV).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wileman's cue cards "must talk about this in the first 20 minutes" is annoying as heck.

Max Bretos isn't too bad & the other 2 PbP guys announced are decent enough

BUT

3 Pbp for the full league?

Somethings not right here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wileman's cue cards "must talk about this in the first 20 minutes" is annoying as heck.

BUT

I think that buried somewhere in the press release it mentions the full roster of PbP will be announced 'soon'.

EDIT: sorry I think this is what I was referring to, which is admittedly vague:

he complete on-air broadcast team and the full production plan for MLS Season Pass will be announced prior to the start of the 2023 MLS season, which begins Feb. 25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUT

I think people are missing that they're keeping all the local broadcasts. That's why they've announced a parallel local radio stream for each club, because they're going to carry the audio from the local, and in cases where they use the national coverage team, people can substitute their local team if they prefer.

They haven't explained this well, but 18 announcers total is a two-game team. One will be overarching host, one will be announcer of the game being covered, one will be color, two-to-three will be the 'halftime' panel.

So basically each game will take six-to-eight of their team being involved.

This sounds to me like they're going to have two-to-three "games of the week" which will be the ones free to ALL Apple TV subscribers and use their newly announced team. Then the other broadcasts will feature the local team.

So in essence it's the same as the old pay-per-view package they had, but with a couple of national broadcast games added and a full studio show.

This seems to be the direction. I could be wrong.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think people are missing that they're keeping all the local broadcasts.
    Almost every local broadcast team had a "thanks and goodbye" moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The money was close though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost every local broadcast team had a "thanks and goodbye" moment.
    Really?! I've seen TWO.

Wileman has already confirmed he's staying, and Apple said yesterday a parallel local radio play-by-play would be available. Given that most radio play by plays are done by the team's announcers...

Also, the numbers only make sense with locals, unless Apple is going to hire a new team in every city. Think about the logistics versus cost of that, when they already have established presences.

It makes no sense, as far as I can see. They'd need to hire 64 announcers, which would be insanely expensive compared to renting them freelance from an existing broadcaster. TV broadcasters make six-figure salaries at the national level.

But I worked for a very cheap outlet and they have bags of dough, so who knows...
    Last edited by jloome; 01-11-2023 at 01:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wait....the broadcast discussion is off topic for this thread...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, a roster thing - about Nashville

They have sold 7 of their 8 international slots

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlotte are really improving this offseason. Enzo Copetti and Ashley Westwood (assuming he stays healthy) make them much more dangerous and better going backwards, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fire have sold Duran to Aston Villa for a fee of up to $22M

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/...JdFJtOxoOM0kOA

That's mad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nuts! Yet murky; with a sell-on 'potential'? Still...