Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2022-2023 MLS off-season transfers (non-TFC)

Post any news here
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy to Columbus THANK YOU BEZ ! The best mgr and underrated mgr last year is getting his just rewards . Now that Saputo amade $$$ from the giant Canucks , Nancy says who the hell will be playing next year ��. The cheap but talented approach can bite back .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

French language media in Montreal indicating Nancy told Club Foot he was leaving back in July...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    French language media in Montreal indicating Nancy told Club Foot he was leaving back in July...
    What?
    The cupboard is bearish?
    You expect me to re-build... l'equipe...la gang... une autre fois?
    Au revoir? A la prochaine?
    Mais non. Plus jamais!

IIRC, there is also chatter/speculation it may have gotten close to physical between the two (Nancy & SirMister) at that time; the confrontation.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-06-2022 at 08:56 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    What?
    The cupboard is bearish?
    You expect me to re-build... l'equipe...la gang... une autre fois?
    Au revoir? A la prochaine?
    Mais non. Plus jamais!

IIRC, there is also chatter/speculation it may have gotten close to physical between the two (Nancy & SirMister) at that time; the confrontation.
    [moderator mode]
    I'm bilingual (and this is just elementary school French), but just a reminder to all that the board rules require all posts to be in English. This keeps the board open to all fans and supporters of TFC regardless of their background or ability to use Google translate.
    [/moderator mode]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodbye old friend. We'll always have that one game right before the COVID shutdown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAG.
    Kevin Cabral out… for/so in?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-08-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klich from Leeds to DCU as a TAM player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    Nancy to Columbus THANK YOU BEZ ! The best mgr and underrated mgr last year is getting his just rewards . Now that Saputo amade $$$ from the giant Canucks , Nancy says who the hell will be playing next year ��. The cheap but talented approach can bite back .
    Supposedly cheese man and the manager hate each other and some speculation the latter wouldn’t return no matter the circumstances.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting CB signing by a better team than us has just happened…

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CB George Campbell, 21, to CFM from ATLUTD.
    For about 900K in funny monies?
    Worth it/real potential or highway robbery/start the car?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm...
    Maybe CFM is not the ideal MLS model?
    Just the 'gout du jour/flavour of the day'
    One team/group/ownership seems to see it differently.
    I suspect some others do as well.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-18-2022 at 10:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems that, according to Jeremy Filosa, Bobby Smyrniotis no longer a CFM candidate.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....not sure I saw this potential but I guess discovery rights meant something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC sign a 20 year Croatian striker - this is the kind of signing I'm hoping for this year. We need a bit of exceptional youth to go with the proven talent we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^
    Allegations aside and any question of compensation being within the ballpark.
    If this report is accurate, what a shame; a missed opportunity by all stakeholders.
    I am able to envision how he could have been a catalyst to grow the game within an untapped North America market segment.
    One that in the long-term offers the greatest prospects of possibilities.
    He could have been for some an ambassador of the sport in North America for Club/MLS/FIFA; served as a link to WC26.

Instead... more Ronaldo being Ronaldo. His signing seems to be 'just about the money'... money for nothing, no altruistic purpose.

Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-31-2022 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t believe a word of this, SKC did not come “ very close” to this Saudi offer, don’t make me laugh.

MLS has to fix this discovery rights and allocation order nonsense, which is choking the league.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey ensco…
    I suspect it is very probable you are correct.
    Still, there have been those baby step signings that have somewhat, though incrementally, changed MLS/Franchisee business perceptions and operations over the years.
    For better or worse; debatable.
    Sooner or later, there will be the one that shifts the daily MLS paradigm into another realm; a much more internationally competitive one.
    The question is when?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-05-2023 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....not sure I saw this potential but I guess discovery rights meant something

This tweet is one of the most outrageous lies I’ve ever read.

Though I’ve read everything from 200m (BBC 175m Euro) to ESPN at 75m all per year for three years, to be “Very close” were must planning on giving him the entire SKC team worth slightly less than the $600m he’s going to make?

Imaging Patrick Mahomes as a SKC owner giving Ronaldo 5x what he makes for a team and fan base that is a small faction of what his NFL team is

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably went in for $40 million & this was the 3rd backup plan - Plan D as it were - so worth 3 discussions.

Remember, we are in for $14 million on Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably went in for $40 million & this was the 3rd backup plan - Plan D as it were - so worth 3 discussions.

Remember, we are in for $14 million on Insigne.
    Yeah I guess conversations are free. Just shocked that someone could “report” that SKC were “very close” on money and then $200m per year reports come out.

I should not be shocked there’s essentially zero integrity for some people

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    This tweet is one of the most outrageous lies I’ve ever read.

Though I’ve read everything from 200m (BBC 175m Euro) to ESPN at 75m all per year for three years, to be “Very close” were must planning on giving him the entire SKC team worth slightly less than the $600m he’s going to make?

Imaging Patrick Mahomes as a SKC owner giving Ronaldo 5x what he makes for a team and fan base that is a small faction of what his NFL team is
    Totally agree. What is Twellman smoking to write that? It’s completely ridiculous on so many levels.

Yes, I’m sure one of the world’s most recognizable players was really considering setting up shop in a flyover state and their offer was so lucrative it was close to petrol dollars.

Who were his sources on that one: Will Forbes and Tactical Manager?
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-31-2022 at 09:10 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sources on these would likely be from within the league office. I agree "Very close" is doing a lot of work here but the discussions (2-3) would have taken place just as backup in case the petro dollars somehow fall through.

Regardless, glad he's not in MLS - less awkward conversations.

BTW, the league would have had to know how unclose this was before they set up their schedule - no way they schedule SKC @ Portland on the first day if they think Ronaldo is coming to SKC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Og, with respect, I don’t think that can be right. Even if I bought the idea that a, say, $40M offer is “very close” (it isn't).

This is a big boy serious billionaire's game. Is there one example in sports history of a six person consortium ownership group actually offering any player in any sport 3x last year's entire payroll to one player?

To the extent I have an opinion, I believe the league has a real problem when an “SKC” is the only MLS team able to talk to a “Cristiano Ronaldo”, and I don’t doubt the incentives this might create for numerous involved parties to tell ridiculous nosestretchers.

The easiest scenario to imagine is SKC attempting a shakedown of a big market team simply trying to talk to him, and suddenly needing this story out there because of anger inside league/team offices around that, none of which would be visible to us. Just wild ass speculation. But the idioitic rules create the conditions for this.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-31-2022 at 10:18 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ensco, I'm a lot closer to you then you think.

I know 40 million isn't close - MLS is going to spin this because if they don't, as you said, the power struggle in the league between the "don't want to spends" & the "we are this close if only you idiots would spend some $" groups would just get more inflamed.

And, yeh, its very likely that the discussions where between Ronaldo's people & MLS directly & then SKC saying "ahem, we can afford something here" & it all going sideways fast.

But...I'm 100% sure 2-3 discussions took place & dropped off quick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe they were "very close" to having an actual conversation with Ronaldo. But then his agent found out it was SKC and not LA and said no you are not having a conversation with my client.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    MLS has to fix this discovery rights and allocation order nonsense, which is choking the league.
    This. All these stupid rules prevent MLS from being a league that they say they want to be (a League in the top 5-10 range). SKC "discovered" Ronaldo. It's laughable that you can add an all-time great to your "discovery list"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Supposedly cheese man and the manager hate each other and some speculation the latter wouldn’t return no matter the circumstances.
    My brother who lives in Laval told me exactly the same thing, Nancy was gone no matter what, but reading posts here recently the jealousy for Joey Saputo is beyond embarrassing Montreal has put out competitive fun to watch team the last few years, on the other hand I find myself leaving BMO midway through the second half because I just get frustrated as to what Manning and Bradley have turned this into, Insigne and Berna is a fantastic start and I will keep my fingers crossed that I can sit through the majority of games this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teams should at the very least be made to publish their discovery lists. I am actually incredibly curious to know who TFC has on their list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The easiest scenario to imagine is SKC attempting a shakedown of a big market team simply trying to talk to him, and suddenly needing this story out there because of anger inside league/team offices around that, none of which would be visible to us. Just wild ass speculation. But the idioitic rules create the conditions for this.
    Would be interesting if that was the case. Completely agree on the rules, stupid and should be done away with. The league has to better understand how it can work with certain realities of the world game, not make futile efforts to correct things they have no control over.