Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What Is TFC's Most Esoteric And/Or Existential Moment/Match In Club History?

The encompassing answer may be any from 23:13 to 66:15; the all in-between!
    A refined reply may suggest many from Seasons '16 To '19.
    With MLS CUP Final appearances in Y16 and Y19, CCL Final appearance in Y18 and the CC and MLS SS/CUP Trifecta of Y17!
    For me, the moment/match happened at the end of November, 6 years ago.
    It was not only esoteric in that TFC seemed to have the talent to win but that it now had a/the will.
    That elusive extra push or pull.
    It was existential in that it was born and formed through our greatest rival.
    It was also, dare I say, perhaps kind of transformational... the rebirth of the club.
    I saw it! I was there!
    One of the greatest matches witnessed in the stands of my life!
    Some even suggest part of The Most EPIC MLS Playoff Series ever!
    And with naivete, IMHO, a personal rank up there with some of the greatest comebacks in UEFA CL history.
    And there are a few.
    That match involved Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact in the Y16 MLS Eastern Conference Final.
    Part of a Tie; the First Leg being on 22NOV16.
    For me, it happens during the Second Leg of that Tie on 30NOV16, with us starting in an aggregate trailing position and soon with hope teetering...

https://youtu.be/oohSRRnEpY0

https://youtu.be/YSU4RzH9Mwo

https://youtu.be/HQP_sOH1Fic

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsle...eague-history/
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-02-2022 at 08:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many moments in our club history that are great and memorable, but nothing can compare to that Eastern conference final series. Over the 2 games it had just about every story line you could think of. It is hands down the greatest moment in club history if not league history. There will never be another series like that any time soon, if ever. I was there in BMO that night and I could feel the stands tremble all game long

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    Second TFC Canadian Championship?
    If so... certainly among 'the moments'... along with the 'Miracle In Montreal' of '09.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 11-02-2022 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    There are many moments in our club history that are great and memorable, but nothing can compare to that Eastern conference final series. Over the 2 games it had just about every story line you could think of. It is hands down the greatest moment in club history if not league history. There will never be another series like that any time soon, if ever. I was there in BMO that night and I could feel the stands tremble all game long
    In a 'Pitch (Field) Of Dreams' paraphrased comparison...
    'It is as if we've dipped ourselves in magic waters. The memories are so thick, we have to brush them away from our faces'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second leg of that Montreal series is still the most intense football game I've ever experienced. Beats out the 2020 El Clasico I attended.

An honorable note is this:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oops!
    Apologies.
    Upon a second and closer look...
    Those are Vancouver White Caps Jerseys not Montreal Impact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was the Will Johnson winner I believe.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Absolutely the best series in TFC history.

Another one which longer-term fans will remember was the 2009 "Miracle in Montreal" where DeRo almost superhumanly led the team to a 6-1 win over Montreal to win our first ever trophy and Canadian Championship (5-1 was needed to win the Championship). The Whitecaps were literally waiting in the stands to receive the trophy that TFC ultimately lifted.

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

October 20, 2007
    BMO Field
    Toronto FC vs New England Revolution

The last game of our first season in MLS.
    The guy who we relied on to be our hero that first season, Danny Dichio, scored the game tying goal in the 92nd minute

After the match, we invaded the pitch and celebrated that first season together.
    For me, it was the last moment of innocence for our fanbase.

The Season was shit from a standings point of view, but everything else was a success.
    We were just happy to have a professional team in Toronto. All of the stadium atmospheres we saw around the world , we were finally able to have one of our own. Full stadium of people singing and chanting and doing the things we saw on TV growing up

If people wonder why we insist on singing about Dichio in the 24th minute - it has nothing to do with his ability or skill or any of that - and everything to do with that first season.

If you can't understand that, then you really weren't there for that first year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    That was the Will Johnson winner I believe.

It was the beginning of the run that lasted until Guadalajara

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my opinion, there are two answers to this.

The left side of the brain, which is where logic is stored, says that it was the 2017 MLS Cup Final, where TFC beat the Seattle Sounders at home for their first ever MLS Cup, capping off what was, and remains, the greatest season any MLS team ever had.

The right side of the brain, which is where emotion is stored, says that it was the 2016 Eastern Conference Final against our natural rivals Montreal, where the two legged series, that concluded at BMO Field, was the most unbelievably roller coaster ride of emotions that ended triumphantly for our side over our bitter, hateful rivals.

My regret about the latter is that I never went to see the second leg of that match when I had the opportunity to do so. But I did attend the 2017 MLS Cup in Toronto, so I'm good!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)