Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2022 - Other MLS Playoff Games - Round 2

(bit of a long one, sorry in advance)
    Exciting first round to the playoffs, two games went to shootouts. Now this is where we see if the Conference leaders will show if they really deserved that top spot. All games once again being televised on TSN.

Thursday, October 20:
    Cincinnati @ Philly – 8pm – Does Philly continue their success with a record setting Goals against (26). They had 15 clean sheets (I bet GE is glad they didn’t sponsor them). They had the 2nd best record for +/- with 46 (LAFC had 48 in 2019). They have put a very good team together and their home record is scary good, 12w, 5d 0L, 49goals, 9 goals against, on a 9 game win streak going into this game. I cannot see a way in which Cincinnati breaks them down. Cincinnati have only beat Philly once. However, I recall saying that last week about NYRB and they ended up winning that game.

LA Galaxy @ LAFC – 10pm – One final derby day between the two of these clubs in this young rivalry. Only the 17th meeting between the two and Galaxy have gotten the better 7 times, 5 draws to LAFC 4. Galaxy had a goal called back but eventually broke down Nashville defense to make it here. Do they have enough and what it will take to beat the supporter’s shield winners? LAFC however should be well rested and here is their chance to show that the supporter’s shield means something.

Sunday, October 23:
    NYC FC @ Montreal – 1pm – Montreal had a fantastic game against Orlando and the Canadian’s played very well. They took almost 70 mins to break down Orlando but they dominated in possession the majority of the night, all while resting their primary striker. NYCFC is just…ugly all around, from that awful excuse for a pitch they had to play on (just an utter disgrace) to those odd cigarette looking smoke stacks behind the net!? They really are missing that finishing of Castellanos right now. Will Mr. Joey Saputo’s team put NYC to the test and come out on top?

Dallas @ Austin
    – 8pm – Both teams went the extra mile with added time and penalties. Austin fought extremely hard to get back into that game and their fan’s were supporting them all the way. Personally I find it a bit odd MLS doesn’t allow an additional sub once extra time begins (I believe most leagues and tournaments allow this). Ferreira was voted top young player of the year for Dallas, making that two years in a row Dallas have had that honor (Pepi last year). Interesting to check his stats as he has scored 18g 6a in 33 games (no goals from the spot), also only the 2nd to reach 30g 20a before age of 22. The other person to reach that achievement is Fagundez who plays or Austin. However, everything goes through Driussi for the attack, 24g in 35 games, he has really come alive this year compared to only 5g in 17 appearances last year. He has an impressive 9/9 conversion rate on penalties in his career as well. If Dallas can find a way to shut him down, then they may win this game but Austin have found themselves behind in something like 9-10 games this year and come back to get a point or win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO- the Philly coach holding up an Academy award trophy is an alltime move!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So THAT's what its like to have the top keeper in the league....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chiellini doesn't make the starting lineup for LAFC. Bale doesn't even make the bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both these teams are standing around. Zero movement off the ball.

____

Delgado with the pressure up front that creates the tying goal for the Galaxy
    Last edited by ensco; 10-20-2022 at 10:34 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raheem Edwards would be a heck of a player if he could be consistent for 90 minutes. But par for the course is occasional brilliant attacking, some inopportune losses of possession and occasional moment of Doniel Henry-esque defending.

Galaxy looking much better than the shield winners surprisingly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, I almost posted the same thing 15 minutes ago. Raheem looks world class for a few minutes, then horrible, especially when LAFC are in transition or on the counter. He has been badly beaten 3-4 times, and didn’t look great on the second goal there.

I don’t think he makes the 26 for Doha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky, again, and Vazquez, on the other hand… what a clutch sequence there. Makes me happy to see that!

Great game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raheem ball watching on the added time winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Both these teams are standing around. Zero movement off the ball.

____

Delgado with the pressure up front that creates the tying goal for the Galaxy
    What some would say started as a boring game has 3 goals scored in the final 15-20 minutes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great atmosphere there tonight. Good game. Not much defending in sight from either team. Lots of nasty shit going unpunished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marky, again, and Vazquez, on the other hand… what a clutch sequence there. Makes me happy to see that!

Great game.
    What coulda been lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best game of the playoffs so far. There’s just something about LAFC where you got the feeling they’d find the goals despite LAG carrying the play for big chunks of the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lafc vs dallas west conference final.

philly vs nycfc (who have looked the best of any team so far) east.

lafc vs philly final.

philly champs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has REAL problems getting players to not do that....

I agree with jloome - it was very NHL playoff style reffing in that game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    lafc vs dallas west conference final.

philly vs nycfc (who have looked the best of any team so far) east.

lafc vs philly final.

philly champs.
    I think Montreal beats NYCFC Sunday (I think NYCFC benefitted from playing a crappy Miami team), but I agree that Philly look like the champs, when it's all done. The Union is just so well rounded, no weak links.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Montreal beats NYCFC Sunday (I think NYCFC benefitted from playing a crappy Miami team), but I agree that Philly look like the champs, when it's all done. The Union is just so well rounded, no weak links.
    Hard to picture them losing at home.

Great team, great atmosphere too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puig headbut gets a yellow? Wild.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Puig headbut gets a yellow? Wild.
    I know Chapman got this “wrong” in terms of how that sort of play is mostly interpreted, but I like what Chapman did, and I hate the “red card” interpretation of this sort of thing. I hope what Chapman did becomes the “rule” over time.

The LAFC player absolutely was first to be in the wrong there, got right in Puig's face. Literally, Puig had nowhere to move but backwards, and no athlete is wired that way, when challenged in that way.

It was a dominance move by Murillo - if Puig even moves a centimetre forward, it's a headbutt. Puig moves a centimetre forward and Murillo goes down like he was shot. You see this all the time, and it's bs. Gameplaying and shouldn’t be rewarded. Refs need discretion for one like this.

I don’t think it should be automatic red, just for “moving your head into opponent's face” when challenged in that way, context matters.

Two yellows would have been the fair call. Murillo should have received yellow too.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-21-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vanney has REAL problems getting players to not do that....

I agree with jloome - it was very NHL playoff style reffing in that game.
    Yeah, there’s something to be said for reffing the game the players give you rather than trying to ref the game people want to see (but doesn’t exist). Probably should have been about 3 players off the pitch in total as they realized Chapman was a coward unwilling to hand out a second yellow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

philly did what they had to do.but i wasnt that impressed,i think mtl can beat them

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    philly did what they had to do.but i wasnt that impressed,i think mtl can beat them
    Yeah I would have to agree with you Philly looked a bit lost last night and neither team impressed in the game. I know Cinci started the first 5 mins strong and pressured them heavily. After that I don't know if Philly was nerves or something but they didn't look very dominant.

So far from the teams and games i've watched I think Mtl look quite strong..but we will see what happens Sunday. Anything can happen in all of this.

As someone pointed out above, LAFC never seemed crazy dominant but there was also this vibe they gave off that they were still going to get another goal. Even after Vela came off..which was an odd sub (the announcers said they saw him signal for a sub) he went down on the ground..and got angry when they subbed him off.
    Also someone said Bale wasn't available and they mentioned he had a lower leg injury which is why he didn't make the bench but that he should be available next week if (which they did) make it to the conference finals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes. Poor defending early on for Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t usually comment on other games but yikes MTL’s defence looks childish

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah no kidding. More poor defending. Miller not having a great game. Also, Wanyama always just looks so nonchalant when he is on the ball and he has given it away more than half dozen times.
    Johnston having a great game though. Finding space and getting in behind. He has had a few extremely dangerous balls into the box but great saves from Sean Johnson

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal were never actual contenders.

They are flat track bullies.

Exposed today. And losing all their best players now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their defending has been abysmal but this game could have easily been 3-3. Kamara's header hitting the post, Sean Johnson's save on Kone, and the Alistair Aheader blocked could have all easily been goals.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC in Austin just might happen here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was Bonoesque from Sean Johnson there...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And....will we hear Caldwell & Wileman ever again?