Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 5193
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/s...19655154835456

at least one move imminent.

based on noise around it, would be shocked if it wasn't sean johnson.

would love it if we manged to grab callens too, he's great and would really piss off NYCFC fans lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I’m still a fan, but I do think not having that workhorse number 6 is part of our defensive issues.

100%. MB is a total liability defensively and only will get worse, he isn't getting any younger. And Oso doesn't play much D, the Italians don't track back (not that I want them too) and Kaye has been completely underwhelming and is not some defensive stopper either. I fear we will continue to get overun in the midfield and leak goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    absolutely 100 % - MB has no speed to recover- and although he made some decent passes- it has got noticeably worst over the last two season.

TFC needs a starting midfield- no way around this.
    We do but its not happening with BB here unfortunately.

If we are going to win, its going to have to be outscoring teams while leaking goals. Will be entertaining if we win at least but not great for the heart and won't work in the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    100%. MB is a total liability defensively and only will get worse, he isn't getting any younger. And Oso doesn't play much D, the Italians don't track back (not that I want them too) and Kaye has been completely underwhelming and is not some defensive stopper either. I fear we will continue to get overun in the midfield and leak goals.
    wrong on all fronts.

we leaked goals because we had bad defenders, a bad goalkeeper and players upfront who turn the ball over in bad spots.

lafc had an equally immobile player playing the 6 (who is also a good passer) and won the double last year employing a similar formation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://twitter.com/MichaelSingh94/s...19655154835456

at least one move imminent.

based on noise around it, would be shocked if it wasn't sean johnson.

would love it if we manged to grab callens too, he's great and would really piss off NYCFC fans lol
    Hope we get Johnson.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wrong on all fronts.

we leaked goals because we had bad defenders, a bad goalkeeper and players upfront who turn the ball over in bad spots.

lafc had an equally immobile player playing the 6 (who is also a good passer) and won the double last year employing a similar formation.
    I don't know man...I spent a bit of time yesterday searching out the Bono gaffe against Miami - MB got slalomed for speed by Gonzalo Higuian on that play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wrong on all fronts.

Its a combination of issues, but to pretend MB-as the anchor in front of the D-is not part of the problem is being a bit disengenious. Did you see some of the goals we gave up directly attributable to him? For example away in Atlanta when twice!! he got easily beat by his man on headers for the flick on and goals. Oh well, no point giving you examples...I don't think you want to see it....

Okay, one more example...remember was it the NY goal given up with MB lost the ball off a Poz pass and BB blamed Poz for it? At that point I knew Poz was done here...lol.

Anyways, no point going in circles, MB is here to stay and play a tonne again and nothing anyone can do.

At the very least the arm band should be taken from him. Insigne and Berna are the leaders of this team and they should have it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I don't know man...I spent a bit of time yesterday searching out the Bono gaffe against Miami - MB got slalomed for speed by Gonzalo Higuian on that play.
    for a shot from 30 yards right at the keeper lol which was like 0.02 xg lol.

but don't take my word for it, check out the advanced analytics.

https://fbref.com/en/players/fd5e3a7...couting-Report

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a combination of issues, but to pretend MB-as the anchor in front of the D-is not part of the problem is being a bit disengenious. Did you see some of the goals we gave up directly attributable to him? For example away in Atlanta when twice!! he got easily beat by his man on headers for the flick on and goals. Oh well, no point giving you examples...I don't think you want to see it....

Okay, one more example...remember was it the NY goal given up with MB lost the ball off a Poz pass and BB blamed Poz for it? At that point I knew Poz was done here...lol.

Anyways, no point going in circles, MB is here to stay and play a tonne again and nothing anyone can do.

At the very least the arm band should be taken from him. Insigne and Berna are the leaders of this team and they should have it.
    the vitriolic hate towards the most successful captain in the club's history is insane lol.

if you look at the lineup we had out in the second half at atlanta featuring henry, achara, akinola, okello, macnaughton and multiple teenagers and think MB was the issue...i just am lost for words.

this is just an agenda that won't be changed by facts.

but in case it can be, check out his stats from last year, which are excellent on every single thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a shot from 30 yards right at the keeper lol which was like 0.02 xg lol.

but don't take my word for it, check out the advanced analytics.

BEFORE that shot....from the thrown in. MB bit hard and got passed by.

The guy is becoming a liability defensively and we really need a succession plan for the DM role.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy is becoming a liability defensively and we really need a succession plan for the DM role.
    i agree, we should bring in a max tam cdm for next year, and if MB is still here should be in the cheyrou role.

however with current team as it is, it makes sense for him to start (thought not every game).

we're gonna have better defenders now and a better goalkeeper so every minor mistake (getting beat 30 yards from goal) won't be exposed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If no CM moves come before the season starts I'd rather use Osorio at DM and let Bradley roam aimlessly around in midfield like Nelson did.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, we should bring in a max tam cdm for next year...
    The risk for this year is immense. "next year" isn't a succession plan. And nothing we have seen indicates anybody in the brain trust thinks MB isn't an everyday starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree, we should bring in a max tam cdm for next year, and if MB is still here should be in the cheyrou role.

however with current team as it is, it makes sense for him to start (thought not every game).

we're gonna have better defenders now and a better goalkeeper so every minor mistake (getting beat 30 yards from goal) won't be exposed.
    At the very least I hope that midfield depth is someone young who can grow into the role. And to be clear, I still like Michael. Guy is a calm, good passer and has a hell of an engine. It’s that first step and acceleration he’s losing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm DMing the NYCFC source guy who says the SJ to toronto deal is happening, been on the cards since late november.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wording of that Singh tweet makes me think one of these players is coming via trade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the vitriolic hate
    Hyperbole alert.

C'mon dude. He's elite going forward. But even then, in most cases he's top 20th percentile elite, not TAM money elite.

He's a club legend and that's great. But he should be a rotational starter and late difference maker at this point.

And defensively he's mediocre at best. Less than two tackles a game from your ostensible holder? He has no second gear, he can't man mark to save his life. It's never been his strength, even though we bizarrely used him for his first three years as basically a number six (because he used to close down passing lanes really well, but now no longer has the speed).

He's always been a number eight. His middle zone numbers outside of progressive passing are now middling at best, and his chance creation is almost non-existent. He's become a short pass, keep the ball guy. Which is valuable, but doesn't solve our transitionary defensive issues (partly blamable on having three number eights, which I do not believe will ever work, really, in this league).

He's not an elite player anymore. That's what his numbers say.

Neither he, nor Osorio, nor Kaye is particularly strong in the tackle. Osorio is a good marker, Kaye closes well, Bradley tackles well when he gets there. But none of them is a guy who's going to rack up the disruptive four-to-seven tackles a game and multiple intercepts that you'd get from a Frankie Amaya type-wrecker.

Other than Osorio, I don't care which of Bradley or Kaye is on the field right now. Preferably, likely, Michael as he's a good number eight still, Oso can play just ahead of him, and a number six behind (and because Kaye is inconsistent, let's be frank about that).

But we need a number six or at the least a defensive-minded number eight who is very, very quick.

I would point out again that Ralph Priso's DM numbers last season were in the top two percent in the league. His offensive numbers were poor, and he must've been mucho uncoachable to get benched by Robin Fraser, given the defensive numbers he was putting up.

We really need that. It showed CONSTANTLY last year that we can't just rely on high zonal pressure. We need better central defending or we will bleed goals all year.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Hyperbole alert.

C'mon dude. He's elite going forward. But even then, in most cases he's top 20th percentile elite, not TAM money elite.

He's a club legend and that's great. But he should be a rotational starter and late difference maker at this point.

And defensively he's mediocre at best. Less than two tackles a game from your ostensible holder? He has no second gear, he can't man mark to save his life. It's never been his strength, even though we bizarrely used him for his first three years as basically a number six (because he used to close down passing lanes really well, but now no longer has the speed).

He's always been a number eight. His middle zone numbers outside of progressive passing are now middling at best, and his chance creation is almost non-existent. He's become a short pass, keep the ball guy. Which is valuable, but doesn't solve our transitionary defensive issues (partly blamable on having three number eights, which I do not believe will ever work, really, in this league).

Neither he, nor Osorio, nor Kaye is particularly strong in the tackle. Osorio is a good marker, Kaye closes well, Bradley tackles well when he gets there. But none of them is a guy who's going to rack up the disruptive four-to-seven tackles a game and multiple intercepts that you'd get from a Frankie Amaya type-wrecker.

Other than Osorio, I don't care which of Bradley or Kaye is on the field right now. Preferably, likely, Michael as he's a good number eight still, Oso can play just ahead of him, and a number six behind (and because Kaye is inconsistent, let's be frank about that).

But we need a number six or at the least a defensive-minded number eight who is very, very quick.

I would point out again that Ralph Priso's DM numbers last season were in the top two percent in the league. His offensive numbers were poor, and he must've been mucho uncoachable to get benched by Robin Fraser, given the defensive numbers he was putting up.

We really need that. It showed CONSTANTLY last year that we can't just rely on high zonal pressure. We need better central defending or we will bleed goals all year.
    frankie amaya would be awful in this team, which is being designed to control games through possession and progressive passing.

anyways we'll all see how it goes.

but im happy as long as we get some midfield depth so we can rest bradley on multi game weeks (which happen a ton in this league).

i'd also be happy for a destroyer to be brought in so we have that option, potentially late in games we're winning or on tough road games on short rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyperbole alert.

Well said jloome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....It showed CONSTANTLY last year that we can't just rely on high zonal pressure. We need better central defending or we will bleed goals all year.
    This is my fear...that the lesson from last year is the defence was bad without taking into account the role the midfield plays in that.

We got really enamoured with that first half against Charlotte - its becoming a bit like the 2017 win was to 2018. Instead of "yeah, but last year" its "yeah, but that 45 minutes vs. Charlotte".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give you credit you will defend MB to the death...lol.

Come on man, I don't need to see "stats" inflated with go nowhere side and back passes....and next to no goals and assists despite always playing 90 every game.

And goals against like the Atlanta examples I gave up, tell me where those show up in your stats? I.e they don't.....but we saw him get skinned alive and the ball in the back of our net.

MB was a legend here, loved his play back when in the Seba/Jozy days....so no "hate" I just don't think he should start if we want to win. And by not having any replacements, he won't be coming off again. Even last year at the end, when we were mathematically eliminated and getting blasted in Atlanta, Orlando, etc...he surely could have come off then for minutes to some young guys at least?

Oh well, cheers. )
    i do agree we need a replacement for depth purposes, and there's no ay MB should be starting more than 24-25 games, or any games without a week rest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyways, the briefing that a signing (or signings) are imminent is almost certainly sean johnson.

NYCFC source guy who has an inside track there says it's as good as done, and has been on track since late november.

hopefully get it announced soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do agree we need a replacement for depth purposes, and there's no ay MB should be starting more than 24-25 games, or any games without a week rest.
    Even if we pencil in MB as the starter, there needs to be an experienced depth piece available. A FB / CM utility player makes a lot of sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Even if we pencil in MB as the starter, there needs to be an experienced depth piece available. A FB / CM utility player makes a lot of sense.
    absolutely.

oh for another nico hasler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking more like 15-18 starts including VC & the new stupid thing in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frankie amaya would be awful in this team, which is being designed to control games through possession and progressive passing.

anyways we'll all see how it goes.

but im happy as long as we get some midfield depth so we can rest bradley on multi game weeks (which happen a ton in this league).

i'd also be happy for a destroyer to be brought in so we have that option, potentially late in games we're winning or on tough road games on short rest.
    Frankie Amaya passes at a 78% success rate and had three assists as a pure number six. He's one of the best DMs in the league, and if we had a chance to get him, Bradley would do it without hesitating.

But agree to disagree, I guess. I must admit I'm amazed he only got one red card last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

absolutely.

oh for another nico hasler
    Again, one of those mind boggling personnel decisions, like leaving Raheem unprotected. Back in Switzerland, still playing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Succession plan should have been here last season- he is a liability in his dad's pressing system.

I recall multiple times- where TFC finally pressed caused a turn over and MB handed the ball back to the opposing team- He cannot run for 90 and press effectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For our 3 man midfield, I've always felt we need 5 starter quality players (at least 4 at minimum) for those 3 spots, as players will miss time, regular rotation, etc. Unfortunately, I feel like Bob might view Vazquez as one of those players given his quote (along with Kaye, Oso, and Bradley being the primary 3)
    While Vazquez has plenty of mileage under his hood, Bradley is confident he can contribute.“Will he starts some games? For sure,” said the coach. “Let’s see when we get going how it looks.

Personally, I'd rather another player join the primary 3 starters (and Bradley become one of the rotational 2 extras), but I'm worried BB doesn't see MF as an issue (based on the quote Singh posted earlier today about what they're looking for)